Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #351
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sposfan View Post
I've had a kobo for a few years now and love it. I haven't tried the others, so can't really compare, but really no issues with it at all. I can convert and sideload any ebook format using calibre.

I have the touch, was too cheap to get the glo and instead just use a $15 ereader light. My oldest (10 yr old) has the mini and really enjoys it. Mini's are going for $40 brand new now too.

Yeah - I like the ability to sideload - that's attractive.

I'd get a touch too I think. worried the mini's are too small, even at $40. Plus I see some amazon marketplace deals for "like new" touchs from reputable sellers for like...$45.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #352
sposfan
Mascot

I bought both mine and my wife's Touch used. I considered getting the new aura or one of the colour ones, but decided against it since I heard how easy the touch was to read in direct sunlight (no glare). Gotta say it performs great!

Calibre is a great piece of freeware, I also use it to organize my books on the kobo, since shelf creation is so much faster and better on calibre than directly on kobo.

If you have any questions, you can email me too (sposfanATsympaticoDOTca).

Elan
sposfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #353
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sposfan View Post
I bought both mine and my wife's Touch used. I considered getting the new aura or one of the colour ones, but decided against it since I heard how easy the touch was to read in direct sunlight (no glare). Gotta say it performs great!

Calibre is a great piece of freeware, I also use it to organize my books on the kobo, since shelf creation is so much faster and better on calibre than directly on kobo.

If you have any questions, you can email me too (sposfanATsympaticoDOTca).

Elan

Cool - thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #354
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I would be a 100% convert to eReaders if there was some way to get like..."credit" for paper books that you have, and get them in ebook format, even if it meant (presumably) having to turn over the paper copies.

Something where they'd go "oh yeah...you purchased that book in hardcopy...send it to us and we'll send you the rights to an ebook version."
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #355
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's the same reason there's still a huge hard copy movie industry as opposed to music.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #356
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's the same reason there's still a huge hard copy movie industry as opposed to music.

SI

Oh I know, and I know it's not practical or anything...it just sucks.

Think of all the space it could save me, ya know? All the boxes of books that I've invested in over the years.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-04-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #357
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Again, I lament the same thing about movies. If there were a service I could use like iTunes where I got credit for the movies already on my shelf, I'd put those puppies in storage in a heartbeat.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #358
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Again, I lament the same thing about movies. If there were a service I could use like iTunes where I got credit for the movies already on my shelf, I'd put those puppies in storage in a heartbeat.

SI

That too. Can't tell you how many fucking DVD's I have. Thousands of dollars worth. Would love to get rid of the hard-copies and go all-digital with them.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #359
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I freely admit I rip movies (that I own) on to PC. I've had too many discs/players go bad to trust it, and this way I watch them the way I want. (edit: a lot of companies are getting with the program on movies, and releasing free digital copies with the disc)..

I also patronize companies like Baen with the free ebooks (still available and LEGAL, you just have to download an ISO file)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's possible to buy books on Amazon and remove the Amazon DRM and read them on a Kobo right?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #361
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Possible, yes. Legal, no.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #362
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Possible, yes. Legal, no.

LOL

Any firsthand experience by anyone with how difficult it is?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-05-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #363
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Unfortunately I've misplaced my Kindle Touch. I've been looking for a week and a half and am sure it's gone. I have a trip to Europe coming up where I would like an e-reader so I'm on the market for a new one.

I'd go ahead and grab a kindle from amazon, the basic $69 but wanted to see if anyone has heard any rumors on when the next version is supposed to be announced?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #364
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There have been a good deal of rumors of a 2014 Paperwhite, but no one really knows when it's going to come out. People thought it may have been in April, but obviously not.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #365
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
There have been a good deal of rumors of a 2014 Paperwhite, but no one really knows when it's going to come out. People thought it may have been in April, but obviously not.

I've been holding out to get the next version of the Papwerwhite but have become frustrated at the rumors and then nothing.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #366
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Its not a new version, but today's Gold Deal is a Certified Refurbished 2013 Kindle Paperwhite for $85:

Kindle Paperwhite Touch Screen E-Reader with Light
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #367
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If you're not opposed to being a bit more hands-on the line by Kobo is able to read everybody's file types (with a smidge of converting work) so you're not locked in to any one bookstore or another.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #368
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've been holding out to get the next version of the Papwerwhite but have become frustrated at the rumors and then nothing.

I was looking at release dates for Kindle e-readers (omitting DX):

Kindle 1 - November 19, 2007
Kindle 2 - February 10, 2009
Kindle 3 - July 28, 2010
Kindle 4 - September 28, 2011
Kindle Paperwhite 1 - October 1, 2012
Kindle Paperwhite 2 - September 30, 2013

Since the last three Kindles came out in back-to-back-to-back years at about the same time, a 2014 will come out at that date as well.

And I imagine a 2014 version will come out because it has been a yearly refresh since the Kindle 2.