Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #101
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I really question what incentive the NCAA or the schools have to be tougher on penalties or "ean anything up....Has there been any hint that any of these incidents have impact interest or the bottom line?

This
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #102
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Tweet:

He sure does talk tough. I really don't see it every happening though. Not because of what happened to SMU, but because there's just so much more money at stake now. It's hard to see the NCAA taking all those millions and millions away from a member school forever. At the end of the day the NCAA is just kind of a client of the big time football programs who handles some administration and organization. (I'd love to be wrong though).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-penalty_n.htm

"We have to get after it, and we have to get after it quickly," Emmert told USA TODAY on Wednesday. "It's a shame to have this kind of an exclamation point put on the declarative sentences that we were issuing. But boy, (the Miami allegations) sure did it.

"Anyone who looks at the situation is going to conclude that things aren't working, that there are fundamental problems that have to get fixed."

"Clearly, the impact of the so-called death penalty is really severe," Emmert said, speaking generally, and not specifically about the Miami case. "You wouldn't want to enter into it without a very solid reason for doing so. At the same time, you have to recognize that, today, inflicting that penalty on any one school has a lot of collateral damage to other members of the conference, around media contract rights and a variety of things. So you wouldn't enter into it casually.

"… Having said that, if that's an option that the (NCAA) committee on infractions believes is appropriate in any one case — it doesn't matter which one it is — I'm not opposed to them using that. … We need to have penalties that serve as effective deterrents so that people who are doing the calculation in their head (as to) whether or not the risks and rewards line up … recognize the price of being caught."

Last edited by molson : 08-18-2011 at 01:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

One of the attorneys, I think it was, already was quoted as saying the death penalty's not in the discussion. They should try getting their stories straight before talking to the media.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting counter-point to the original article. It's a good analysis of why most of these charges will not be proven. The NCAA isn't a court of law, but this is pretty weak evidence even for their standards..........

Renegade reporter spells out litany of accusations while often failing to substantiate his claims | All About The U

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #105
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interesting counter-point to the original article. It's a good analysis of why most of these charges will not be proven. The NCAA isn't a court of law, but this is pretty weak evidence even for their standards..........

Renegade reporter spells out litany of accusations while often failing to substantiate his claims | All About The U

This is why I don't get too excited about the possible charges until later. I would love to see OSU get nailed hard as well, but let's see what the NCAA really thinks of what went on.

Last edited by Matthean : 08-19-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #106
Ksyrup

"Renegade reporter". Ha. He's gone ROGUE!

I won't even read that article just because of the headline.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #107
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
"Renegade reporter". Ha. He's gone ROGUE!

I won't even read that article just because of the headline.

Well, it is on "All About the U," written by 2003alumgocanes. So you know it has to be very fair and impartial, with absolutely no self interest to defend the university.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well, it is on "All About the U," written by 2003alumgocanes. So you know it has to be very fair and impartial, with absolutely no self interest to defend the university.

And that's why some actually bother to read articles. He doesn't even defend the university or any of the parties involved. He even starts off by clearly stating that all of the charges may be absolutely true. What he does do (and very well I might add) is go through the information and actually evaluate the charge against what evidence was provided. In most of the cases, it's pretty flimsy at best and likely won't be a charge that the NCAA follows up.

It's a much longer version of what I stated previously......I think most of it happened, but I think very little of it will stand up to any burden of proof.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #109
Ksyrup

From Stewart Mandel's twitter:

Paul Dee at a 2007 infractions hearing: "You have to put in place the kind of institutional control we have at Miami."
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #110
GrantDawg

Quote:
And that's why some actually bother to read articles. He doesn't even defend the university or any of the parties involved. He even starts off by clearly stating that all of the charges may be absolutely true. What he does do (and very well I might add) is go through the information and actually evaluate the charge against what evidence was provided. In most of the cases, it's pretty flimsy at best and likely won't be a charge that the NCAA follows up.

It's a much longer version of what I stated previously......I think most of it happened, but I think very little of it will stand up to any burden of proof.

You glean what you want from an article. He makes those throw away lines, but his actual words are very much all about defending the university. Oh, and personally attacking the authors of the piece. He is purposely misrepresenting the article. Nowhere does the authors lay out the individual claims and pieces of evidence for all of the infractions. The article would be a novel considering the numbers involved. The authors do say they have both third party statements and paper records to back the claims they made. The guy behind the allegations actually gave them 120 names of players and coaches, and they weeded it down to 72 that they had other collaborating claims. The article doesn't go point by point, but highlights certain things, and he makes like that what they showed is all they have.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-19-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #111
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
"Clearly, the impact of the so-called death penalty is really severe," Emmert said, speaking generally, and not specifically about the Miami case. "You wouldn't want to enter into it without a very solid reason for doing so. At the same time, you have to recognize that, today, inflicting that penalty on any one school has a lot of collateral damage to other members of the conference, around media contract rights and a variety of things. So you wouldn't enter into it casually.

Wouldn't the ACC most likely kick Miami out of the conference as soon as they find a new 12th school to replace them to avoid losing a conference championship game?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #112
Ksyrup

At the time this is handed down, the ACC might not exist, or it might be at 9 members or 16 members.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #113
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Sorry, this guy can't hold Yahoo Sports junk when it comes to sports reporting.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #114
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

The NCAA ain't exactly a court of law, you know?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #115
Ksyrup

Now with Taiwan animation!

And Taiwan weighs in on Miami - CBSSports.com
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #116
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Sorry, this guy can't hold Yahoo Sports junk when it comes to sports reporting.

I liked where he tried to convince the reader that a booster calling a recruit or current player multiple times and them calling him back is totally normal and on the up and up.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #117
Ksyrup

Quote:
If they determined Marve didn't do what the Yahoo investigation says he did, then that may say something about the investigation as a whole. If he admitted it and is cleared to play with no restrictions, I don't understand that.

Actually, it appears all of the guys mentioned in the Yahhoo report have been cleared. The players, anyway. I must not understand the process (*gets in line*).

Well, I guess I got my answer last night. The NCAA gave the transferred/signed elsewhere players "limited immunity," meaning they are immediately eligible in exchange for giving up all the info they have on Miami. Miami has officially graduated from a bunch of thugs to mobsters.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #118
GrantDawg

Quote:
Well, I guess I got my answer last night. The NCAA gave the transferred/signed elsewhere players "limited immunity," meaning they are immediately eligible in exchange for giving up all the info they have on Miami. Miami has officially graduated from a bunch of thugs to mobsters.

Is it reading in to suggest that tells how large the level of infractions that are being investigated? It seems the NCAA is willing to over-look minor infractions to make a case for major ones.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #119
digamma
Torchbearer

Charles Robinson fields questions from Cane fans.

CaneSport.com - Yahoo! Sports Uncensored: Questions from the fans
Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #120
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Charles Robinson fields questions from Cane fans.

CaneSport.com - Yahoo! Sports Uncensored: Questions from the fans

He pretty much answered every question the Canes fan had been using to deny the allegations. Now, it is a question of if his sources are going to be as forthright to the NCAA investigators. Many sources he couldn't list because it would reveal their identity means he also couldn't give them to the NCAA, so they are going to have to happen on them on their own. My guess is many will not work with the NCAA, and some of the allegations won't stand up.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #121
Logan
Head Coach

Some great questions in there. Hard to see any of the emotion.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #122
Ksyrup

Quote:
My guess is many will not work with the NCAA, and some of the allegations won't stand up.

Which is why they did the immunity thing for the current players not at Miami - they want to play, so they must talk. I haven't looked at the details, but I'd be interested in how many of the 12, if any, can link a coach or someone at the school with knowledge of the benefits they received.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #123
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Pearl was charged with unethical conduct after he acknowledged in September lying to NCAA investigators about a cookout he hosted at his home attended by recruits

So, Tressel has to be hit with this as well, right, for lying about what he knew?

Last edited by gstelmack : 08-24-2011 at 01:36 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #124
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You can hit Tressel with any penalties you want, but it won't matter. I can't see any scenario where he gets back into collegiate coaching.

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-24-2011 at 01:43 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #125
Ksyrup

I was kinda surprised that he said he wanted to eventually. I thought his retirement from OSU meant he acknowledged he'd never coach again.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #126
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think Tressel will end up as a coordinator in the NFL if he coaches at all.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #127
Ksyrup

Maybe that's what he was talking about. He wasn't specific.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #128
Philliesfan980
Banned

I could see Tressel doing a "grass roots" type thing (think 1-AA, D2), have some success, and then get back into major college athletics.

I think most long time college coaches would have a real hard time being a coordinator in the NFL. Most aren't the best x's and o's guys.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #129
digamma
Torchbearer

72 former Miami players receive subpoenas in the bankruptcy case of Nevin Shapiro. I've fought a lot of subpoenas and it isn't easy. It is usually not a matter of whether you have to respond but if you can delay it long enough that your testimony becomes irrelevant or forgotten.

This is interesting because, the NCAA, of course, does not have subpoena power. They can't compel anyone to testify. Now, I would expect all of the Canes to request confidential treatment of their testimony, but quote a way of landing in unsealed court briefs or other documents. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA is able to use or review anything from testimony or documentary evidence here.

72 former Miami Hurricanes to get subpoenaed - CBSSports.com
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #130
bhlloy
Coordinator

Between 1 and 6 games for the players involved. Once again the message is break all the rules you want, by the time the investigation is done you will be long gone and any punishment will be suffered by a bunch of kids who had nothing to do with. Brilliant.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

DeQuan's mom goes on the offensive. Rumor around Mizzou is that Haith isn't even being targeted by the NCAA. They're targeting the Miami BB assistants, but aren't finding much to back up Shapiro's claims of a $10,000 payment.

UM hoops player DeQuan Jones’ mom, former coaches deny allegations - UM - MiamiHerald.com
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I missed this story a week ago but thought it would make a good bump here:

Boise State gets NCAA penalties - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

If we use a similar scale for penalties, then Miami would get, what, 4 death penalties? Is that like serving 4 consecutive life sentences in jail where you just have no hope of parole?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, I missed this story a week ago but thought it would make a good bump here:

Boise State gets NCAA penalties - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

If we use a similar scale for penalties, then Miami would get, what, 4 death penalties? Is that like serving 4 consecutive life sentences in jail where you just have no hope of parole?

SI

I saw someone say that Miami and Ohio State should stop screwing around to avoid any further penalties from the NCAA against Boise State.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #134
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Worth noting that Oregon finally got an official notice of inquiry from the NCAA.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #135
Ksyrup

The Boise State thing was in part laughable - "Couchgate" is what it's being called. The main football violations were players letting recruits sleep on their couches during visits and giving them rides to the field without collecting gas money.

The tennis program, OTOH, did some serious shit, like knowingly playing an ineligible player from overseas.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny that UNC imposed sanctions on itself identical to what Boise State got. As if UNC's violations weren't a tad more serious.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #136
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Worth noting that Oregon finally got an official notice of inquiry from the NCAA.

As did South Carolina.

Interesting timing from Oregon - got the letter mid-week, announced it right after College GameDay ended and the noon games were kicking off on Saturday.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

DeQuan Jones Cleared To Play « CBS Miami
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #138
muns
Pro Starter

Again???? Just wow

Hurricanes coach Al Golden's staff used booster's associate in potential recruiting violations - Yahoo! Sports
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #139
molson
General Manager

Ha, I had forgotten about Miami. Luckily for them, I think the NCAA has too.

"We have to get after it, and we have to get after it quickly," Emmert told USA TODAY on Wednesday. (from an article 11 months ago)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #140
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Meanwhile Caltech got dinged hard for using "ineligible" players, who were ineligible because they hadn't finished signing up for classes until the end of the 3 week registration period...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #141
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A friend of mine who went to Cal Tech was like "yeah, they must have been laughing pretty hard drawing up those self-imposed penalties. No postseason for a team that had lost over 300 in a row until last season"

SI

Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #142
cuervo72
Head Coach

yy, and vacating non-existent wins!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #143
General Mike
Pro Starter

Give em the death penalty or they'll never learn.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #144
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Meanwhile Caltech got dinged hard for using "ineligible" players, who were ineligible because they hadn't finished signing up for classes until the end of the 3 week registration period...

To be fair, Caltech has been unfairly and brutally dominating their competition for far too long, leaving the NCAA little choice but to get involved. Athletics can't dominate a university, you know.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be fair, Caltech has been unfairly and brutally dominating their competition for far too long, leaving the NCAA little choice but to get involved. Athletics can't dominate a university, you know.

Gold!

SI

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #146
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Miami was breaking the rules? In another surprising turn of events, the sun will rise tomorrow.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #147
RainMaker
General Manager

My D2 alma mater basically got banned from the postseason last year because of some transfer paperwork not being filed properly for one of the players.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #148
Ksyrup

Aubrey Hill resigned as UF WR coach this morning. Statements only said it was for personal reaosns, not related to UF (didn't mention Miami), and that he didn't want to be a distraction.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interview with Allen about the Shapiro allegations. Allen sheds some light on the allegations and what did and didn't really happen.

Exclusive: Ex-employee details how Hurricanes program unraveled in scandal - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings
Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't see how the NCAA can avoid hammering Miami... but then again it is the NCAA and Dees has a lot of friends in the organization still.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote