Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Sooner Fans...quick question... (Oklahoma vs BYU)

Hey are you guys taking us lightly this week? Thinking it's going to be a walkover? Just curious, cause I know one of your players came out and said you can out speed us and muscle us and there was no worry to about us.

Just curious....And the week is here!!

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

As an OU fan I'm not worried at all as long as the OU team doesn't feel the same way I do.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
As an OU fan I'm not worried at all as long as the OU team doesn't feel the same way I do.

Some of the releases I have been reading are saying just that...we are not being taken seriously....

Ask Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and others what BYU can do on the 1st game of the season.

And honestly, my concern is our defense...I think our offense can handle your defense, it's loaded but we do have one of the worst defenses in a long time and if we can't pressure Bradford he will kill us..

But let me put my Blue goggles on and scream and thump my chest for a BYU win...by a FG!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Cuckoo
College Starter

I don't think the players are taking them lightly at all, at least not based on the comments I've read. They expect to win, but then again, they expect to win every game this season.

I read about a quote from a BYU player, can't remember which one, that OU might use as some bulletin board material. It said something to the effect that if the game is an athletic one, then the Sooners win, but BYU is going to punch OU in the mouth and they won't punch back. I'm probably butchering it, but that was the idea, based on my 2nd-hand knowledge.

I will add this, though. Don't sleep on OU's defense this year. It might be one of the better ones they've had in a while, and that's saying something considering some of the point totals they gave up last year. The defensive line is absolutely incredible.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 08-31-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I am a huge OU hater (next to only Kansas and sometimes the Illini) and I am pretty sure OU has nothing to worry about this weekend. Vegas has it at 22 and I think it is a lock and a half.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Cuckoo
College Starter

I'm not betting this one. I think OU wins, but 22 in the first game against a solid BYU team with a very good offense seems high.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 08-31-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Cuckoo
College Starter

DOLA

And to add, I am incredibly pumped. I've been counting down the weeks and am so glad it's here. It's also nice that OU plays some quality teams in the out-of-conference, one of the toughest schedules in the nation. Just one more of the many reasons why it's good not to be a Texas fan.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 08-31-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
DOLA

And to add, I am incredibly pumped. I've been counting down the weeks and am so glad it's here. It's also nice that OU plays some quality teams in the out-of-conference, one of the toughest schedules in the nation. Just one more of the many reasons why it's good not to be a Texas fan.

Same here....I would never count out the Oklahoma team in this game, your defensive line is supposed to be one of the best in the country, but with the arsenal we have, I hope this turns into a shoot out...however we do have the backs to ground and pound it.

If I was trying to keep Bradford off the field I would check to see how we run the ball and control that clock, long time consuming drives.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think this would be a close game but I'd be mortified if I were a BYU fan with their secondary against Oklahoma's passing attack.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Max Hall is a great QB, but he's going to be under relentless pressure Saturday night. I understand that BYU has been decimated by injuries during fall practice. I don't expect a blowout, and I'm pretty sure that the OU players and coaches are taking this game very seriously, so I think they'll win by a comfortable margin.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
sooner333
College Starter

I expect OU to win, but I'm glad we're at least playing a good team the first week (the same cannot be said about week 2). OU should win the game on talent. A shootout would be BYU's best chance, but I really like the defense this year for OU, really only losing two staters at safety. OU's offensive line is an area of concern losing four starters and having center injuries leading to Brody Eldridge, a guy who plays tight end, as the starting center on the depth chart at 265.

Anyone know where to get reasonably priced tickets? I'd like to go but it's sold out and I don't want to pay $29 to maybe see some of the game at the stadium.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #12
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I expect OU to win, but I'm glad we're at least playing a good team the first week (the same cannot be said about week 2).

Point taken with Idaho State, but I don't think that OU has to apologize to anyone for their non-conference schedule. Brigham Young, Miami and Tulsa are all 2008 bowl teams, and that lineup is well above the talent level of most FBS non-conference schedules.

Look at Texas' non-conference schedule: UL-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP and Central Florida. Texas likes to make a big deal about Mack Brown's consecutive 10 win seasons, but basically all he has to do is win six games against legitimate competition every year.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 09-01-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Screw you, asshole...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I don't expect a blowout...

I do.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I do.

Yeah, I realize what Sooner333 and Cuckoo are doing. You don't want to be a MBBF and talk too much smack before the game. But if OU can't blowout BYU in Norman they don't deserve to be in the national title picture. (Don't get me wrong OU will blow them out, I just wish Sooner fans had more confidence in their team)
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah, I realize what Sooner333 and Cuckoo are doing. You don't want to be a MBBF and talk too much smack before the game. But if OU can't blowout BYU in Norman they don't deserve to be in the national title picture. (Don't get me wrong OU will blow them out, I just wish Sooner fans had more confidence in their team)

It's in Jerryworld, but your point remains. If they don't beat BYU by 20+ then it's a bad sign.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's in Jerryworld, but your point remains. If they don't beat BYU by 20+ then it's a bad sign.

It's in Dallas? I didn't know that. How many away games do they have this season? 3?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
Cuckoo
College Starter

I've been cocky far too often and then brought down hard, so as I get older, I've toned down my sports bravado significantly. That said, I definitely can't agree with you guys that it's a "bad sign" if OU doesn't win by more than 20. BYU is a ranked team with quality offense, led by a guy that, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, was in the Heisman discussion for a time last year.

Look, I'm not trying to pull a Lou Holtz here. I expect OU to win, and given what OU did to Cincy and TCU last year, two similarly talented teams, it could very well be a blowout. But in the first game of the season at a neutral site... I certainly won't write off the season if they don't get a blowout.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

I don't really follow the logic in how not beating the #20 ranked team in the country by 20+ points (as a 22 point favorite) is "a bad sign".
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
It's in Dallas? I didn't know that. How many away games do they have this season? 3?

OU plays six home, six away from home.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Cuckoo
College Starter

What a game. Congrats to BYU. They did exactly what they said they'd do, came out and punched OU in the mouth. Though I think OU responded and definitely punched back, BYU came up with the big plays when they needed them. I have no idea what happens in that game if Bradford doesn't go down, but I still think it would've been a great finish.

Tough blow for the Sooners to start a year with so much optimism. We'll see whether they can respond and regroup, particularly if these injuries linger for any length of time.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Great game. Props to OU for scheduling BYU. Lot of powerhouses are too pussy to schedule schools like that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

The best thing about the game beside the win was how good our Defense looked, even before Bradford went out. Hopefully BYU puts this behind them and stays focused. A long trip to play Tulane, then FSU at home. Can't get too happy just yet, but an awesome start for the Cougs!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #24
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Congratulations to the BYU fans here on the forum.

I said it before, I was never expecting this game to be a blowout. I knew going in that OU had an inexperienced offensive line (with a tight end playing at center), no Jermaine Gresham (the best TE in the country) and no proven playmakers at WR. Take out the Heisman Trophy winner at QB in the 2nd quarter, and replace him with a freshman who had never taken a snap, and the outcome doesn't surprise me at all.

Overall, the BYU team played with more heart than OU, and Bronco Mendenhall outcoached Bob Stoops (and offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, who apparently is still in the same fetal position that he was in during the BCS Championship game.)

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 09-06-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
The best thing about the game beside the win was how good our Defense looked, even before Bradford went out. Hopefully BYU puts this behind them and stays focused. A long trip to play Tulane, then FSU at home. Can't get too happy just yet, but an awesome start for the Cougs!

I have one thing to say....that was a great win.

I know we had our mistakes, but we looked light years ahead of where we did last year at this time and even the end of season collapse last season.

Just need to approach it one game at a time.