Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #2801
Terps
College Prospect

Well, fuck.

I'm going to avoid news of this until Monday morning, and hope some of the RAW guys are there at least. I rarely watch Smackdown, so I definitely wouldn't have paid to go see it.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #2802
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Waltman no-shows the TNA PPV tonight, Bischoff is reportedly not there either (that part seems like an angle since Hogan references it in a promo), and Doug Williams is stripped of the X-Division title since he's stuck in the UK because of the Iceland volcano and can't make it there to defend.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #2803
RainMaker
General Manager

Did you guys know that Kozlov is in The Wire?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #2804
molson
General Manager

Speaking of Kozlov, he was in a bit tonight where Will Forte (as "MacGruber") "rigged the arena with explosives" for some reason, which resulted in R-Truth, I don't know, blowing up or something. Only his shoes were left behind. This resulted in MacGruber having to wrestle Kozlov....for some reason.

That was awful. I'm pretty forgiving of the WWE, but for god's sake....

Last edited by molson : 04-19-2010 at 10:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #2805
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

TNA had a pretty damn good card with a new champion too.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #2806
Terps
College Prospect

I was at RAW (Smackdown) tonight, and it was a pretty good show overall. Also, because of the RAW stars not being there, the WWE is issuing a refund.

The two matches taped for Superstars were Yoshi Tatsu vs. Zack Ryder, and John Morrison vs. Carlito.

Triple H cut an off air promo, calling out the Undertaker, Undertaker came out for a match against him after it went off the air. All the wrestlers that were on the show tonight rushed the ring and were either greeted to a pedigree, chokeslam or tombstone. Undertaker tombstoned Trips after all of that went down to close out the night.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #2807
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Relatively good news after scary stuff for a couple of underappreciated female wrestlers. Daffney says she's okay, just a stinger & a concussion after a blown spot while working with a trainee at a dark match last week. Here's a link to her blog entry where she talks about what happened including what was going through her head when she realized she wasn't able to move her legs.

On a personal note, I had an odd opportunity a few years ago to spend a couple of hours hanging out around Daffney, aka Shannon Spruill, before a client's annual sales meeting. Her ring persona aside, she was a quiet little thing with a sweet personality & not an ounce of pretension. And while checking the 'net for the spelling of her last name I discovered that I either didn't know or didn't remember that she was once married to guitarist Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo/Fozzy).

Meanwhile, indy hardcore icon LuFisto is recovering from an apparent stroke. The scary details are linked here.
411mania.com: Wrestling - LuFisto Updates Fans on Her Stroke

Ain't no female wrestler I respect or enjoy watching more than this one, tougher than nails with a great quirky character, with the added benefit of being hotter than a two dollar pistol.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #2808
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Blood letting in WWE. Shelton Benjamin and Mickie James are the big names gone, but Funaki, Slam Master J, Jimmy Yang and Katie Burchill are also gone.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #2809
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

they cut mickie
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2810
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Shelton will find work quickly. He's really good. Sorry for Mickie but after the whole "Piggy James" angle how are you supposed to recover? The only way to get her heat back would be to destroy McCool which never happened. At least not that I remember since I fast forward all the WWE Divas matches, they suck so badly.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #2811
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Mickie has been partying too hard in Europe and she wants to do music so it isn't a big deal.

On an PWI interview a month or so ago a guy said someone in WWE was contemplating MMA which I think is the next logical move for Shelton.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #2812
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The word making the rounds in Baltimore, where the WWE crew has already arrived for tomorrow's Extreme Rules PPV, is that Batista is finishing up with the company this week. He's challenging John Cena in a Last Man Standing bout on the PPV. Batista has made noises about leaving dating back to this January, so we'll see whether this is really it or not for him soon enough.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #2813
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The word making the rounds in Baltimore, where the WWE crew has already arrived for tomorrow's Extreme Rules PPV, is that Batista is finishing up with the company this week. He's challenging John Cena in a Last Man Standing bout on the PPV. Batista has made noises about leaving dating back to this January, so we'll see whether this is really it or not for him soon enough.

bubba the love sponge had kurt angle on friday afternoon and they were talking about this quite a bit...apparently batista, jericho, and mysterio are all expiring with WWE very soon and have all made some sort of contact with TNA about jumping over.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #2814
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Just went to Chikara's night two of Chikara's King of Trios tournament it was an amazing show. 2 teams from Japan (BJW and Osaka Pro) easily stole the show.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2815
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jericho won't leave WWE for TNA. He detests Bischoff. I could see Rey possibly leaving but doubtful. Batista wants to be an actor. Could leave but I think movies are his goal.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #2816
molson
General Manager

What does TNA pay compared to the WWE? I can't imagine how they have so much money to pay all these people. I guess rarely having to travel makes some amount of a pay cut worth it, but the WWE is just in a different stratosphere when it comes to revenue. I'm sure they don't share that with the talent as much as they needed to in the Monday Night Wars days, but, i'd still think they could easily out-bid TNA for top talent.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #2817
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
What does TNA pay compared to the WWE? I can't imagine how they have so much money to pay all these people. I guess rarely having to travel makes some amount of a pay cut worth it, but the WWE is just in a different stratosphere when it comes to revenue. I'm sure they don't share that with the talent as much as they needed to in the Monday Night Wars days, but, i'd still think they could easily out-bid TNA for top talent.

Oh they can easily outbid TNA for anyone they want, but that's the key: that they want. Realistically Vince hasn't shed any significant tears over the defection of pretty much anyone that's gone to the other side of the street.

Plus TNA is paying truly crap wages to the majority of the roster, $500 per appearance (i.e. most of the roster doesn't get paid if they aren't used) for the middle range, even less for most of the Knockouts as well as the guys on the bottom. Sting-types not withstanding, TNA pay has been topping out below $150k per year while the WWE has quite a few in the 7-figure annual pay. The only way TNA has been able to afford the bigger names (Sting & Hogan most notably) is that Spike is contributing directly to their salaries, something that started with Sting & has continued.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #2818
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
gave freedom to take indie dates if needed.

But even that is now contractually controlled by TNA, very strictly so, often pricing them out of the range of the indies that would use them because of the amount TNA adds to the price so that they can get their cut as a "booking fee". That's one of the reasons that some of the guys who've asked for their release have done so, because they can make more with control of their own bookings (although several have subsequently made a deal with Bill Behrens to help with their arrangements, albeit for a much smaller fee).
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #2819
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yippee, it's a midcarder battle royal
Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #2820
Terps
College Prospect

Well, now that Jericho and Edge are on RAW I have no reason to pay attention to Smackdown, since my 4 favorites are all on RAW (Orton, Edge, Y2J, Miz.)

Also, maybe Miz will actually defend his US title now since ShoMiz is no longer.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #2821
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think it is fairly obvious that WWE even more then ever sees SD as a dead brand until October comes and they move to SyFy. I suspect around then they will do some type of trade or draft or whatever and that is when SD will get some bigger names back.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #2822
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I know everyone says TNA knew this week was going to be bad & all but ... damn.

TNA Wrestling News - They're In - Early WWE RAW vs. TNA iMPACT! Ratings
TNA iMPACT! drew a 0.5 cable rating on Monday. More shortly.
WWE RAW drew a 3.1 cable rating on Monday. More shortly.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #2823
RainMaker
General Manager

I never liked the seperate brands. Just seemed odd to have different two world champions and so on. It would make some sense if there was an actual rivalry between the two but any attempts at that seem poor.

I thought it would be better if they made Raw the main brand and used it for the big storylines and World Championship. Then use Smackdown to build up younger stars and actually build a storyline or two for the tag division and lower belts.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #2824
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I know everyone says TNA knew this week was going to be bad & all but ... damn.

TNA Wrestling News - They're In - Early WWE RAW vs. TNA iMPACT! Ratings
TNA iMPACT! drew a 0.5 cable rating on Monday. More shortly.
WWE RAW drew a 3.1 cable rating on Monday. More shortly.

The funny thing is that the Monday Night Wars are not happening like in the late 90's. TNA came in and they're both basically draining each other's markets. They're not pulling in any new fans at all. 3.1 is a pretty weak rating for the draft special, and 0.5 is basically pathetic. Poor TNA has so many great wrestlers but they've abused them for so long that their value is minimal.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #2825
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is NXT always this bad?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #2826
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
I think it is fairly obvious that WWE even more then ever sees SD as a dead brand until October comes and they move to SyFy. I suspect around then they will do some type of trade or draft or whatever and that is when SD will get some bigger names back.

It's actually good for guys like Christian, MVP, Ziggler, maybe even Kane becomes prominent again, since there's less top talent on Friday nights.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #2827
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I never liked the seperate brands. Just seemed odd to have different two world champions and so on. It would make some sense if there was an actual rivalry between the two but any attempts at that seem poor.
What are you talking about? They've totally distinguished the brands. Have you ever seen a show where both brands are on at the same time? They're wearing different shirts! Like, not just a few. Every single guy!

DIFFERENT SHIRTS!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #2828
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Is NXT always this bad?
It is really bad. They have some talent on the show but there is little in-ring action going on.

For all the credit Vince gets, people don't really point out how many massive failures he has on his resume.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-28-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #2829
DeToxRox
Head Coach

PWI is reporting that barring a last minute change, Jim Ross will officially depart WWE tomorrow. The rumor right now is Mark Cuban's HDNet wants him badly and JR wants to call MMA so he will be doing a lot of their MMA programming.

What a disaster this is. The best announcer of all time leaving without a send off. The way WWE has treated him is such a mockery.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #2830
Terps
College Prospect

He hasn't been on TV in forever. He was supposed to call WrestleMania this year and they changed their mind about that.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #2831
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Is NXT always this bad?

No shit Jon. I could only watch a few minutes and it was terrible.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #2832
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
PWI is reporting that barring a last minute change, Jim Ross will officially depart WWE tomorrow. The rumor right now is Mark Cuban's HDNet wants him badly and JR wants to call MMA so he will be doing a lot of their MMA programming.

What a disaster this is. The best announcer of all time leaving without a send off. The way WWE has treated him is such a mockery.
I find the new announcers horrible. Cole is like a robot who repeats the same catchphrases and Striker is beyond abysmal.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #2833
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Won't know for sure until later (as Dixie Carter has Twittered a "major announcement" coming on tonight's Impact) but reportedly TNA officials notified the locker room earlier today that they're moving the show back to Thursdays.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #2834
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone know why they keep shitting on Daniel Bryan on NXT?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #2835
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone know why they keep shitting on Daniel Bryan on NXT?

My guess was that he'll have some sort of epiphany (either going full heel or beating Miz down) & go on a miraculous tear that leads him to one of the bigger brands.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #2836
RainMaker
General Manager

I was worried that this was Vince's way of saying that he doesn't give a shit what you've done in ROH or other promotions. And that you can be exciting in the ring all you want, but it means shit in the WWE.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #2837
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My guess was that he'll have some sort of epiphany (either going full heel or beating Miz down) & go on a miraculous tear that leads him to one of the bigger brands.

And by then it may be too late as it's hard to care about someone that's 0-9. At least in the beginning he was losing to Jericho and Khali, now it's other rookies.

In reality it's probably Vince taking a dump on the internet fans.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #2838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TNA Returns To Thursdays May 13

Back to Thursday at 9p starting May 13th, preceded by reACTION at 8pm starting June 24.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #2839
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That's quite the spin they put on the announcement, huh?

Last edited by Toddzilla : 05-04-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #2840
DeToxRox
Head Coach

TNA spoilers .. Just wow so far.

Spoiler

Last edited by DeToxRox : 05-04-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #2841
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Updated the spoilers.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #2842
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Impact ought to be renamed Implosion.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #2843
saldana
Pro Starter

that sounds like a decent show...im sure it sucked though
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #2844
RainMaker
General Manager

So they cut Daniel Bryan from NXT. I can't tell if they just wanted to shit all over one of the biggest indy names out there or if this is part of a bigger storyline. His exit interview was pretty awesome though either way.

WWE: Mediaplayer > WWE NXT: Daniel Bryan discusses his elimination
Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #2845
molson
General Manager

The Daniel Bryan storyline is really odd. It's kind of refreshing in that way, actually.

Here was the most-hyped "rookie" from the get-go, we hear about his exploits in the independents, he's ranked #1 in the rookie poll despite never winning a match, and then still never wins a match before departing NXT. Then he goofs on the WWE "Daniel Bryan" character, kind of acting all bitter, and proclaiming that he's still a big deal on the independents.

Maybe he just goes away forever now, but I doubt it. I could see him pushed as an arrogant "internet darling" heel, or as a no-gimmick-needed face. I think he'll be one of those, I just get the sense that the company still likes him.

Last edited by molson : 05-13-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #2846
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

People on the City of Heroes forum mention NXT is basically dead in the water, so he's likely to be switched over to one of the other shows. I can't imagine Vince being dumb enough to sign the best indy wrestler, making a mockery of him, and then letting him go in such a short period of time.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #2847
DeToxRox
Head Coach

PWI reported that Danielson is actually headed to Raw as Bryan Danielson to team with someone (rumored to be Morrison) against Miz & Jericho. All I can say is yes please.

This was the plan all along but then with the ratings nose diving they are trying to hurry the finish up.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #2848
molson
General Manager

I think Danielson is going to be big in the WWE, ala CM Punk. They have the charisma that plays well on TV, that most hyped indy guys don't have.

A lot of people said Punk would be buried because "Vince didn't create him" - and now he's a multiple-time World Champion. I think that whole theory is silly - Vince didn't even create Hulk Hogan.

Last edited by molson : 05-13-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #2849
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pro Wrestling Superstar Virgil on Raw!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #2850
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Guess who....

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote