Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
He's not a #1. Maybe if you are a non-playoff team. He's not really a great playmaker. Pretty good shot, with top 6 ice time he'd be around 30 goals a year. This year's playoff showing aside, one of the premier defensive centers in the league, excellent PKer, and decent faceoff guy now.
It's probably worth pointing out that what you just described (30 goals, + defense, excellent on the PK) is absolutely a #1 center.

Obviously not in the Crosby/Malkin/Sedin way, but if you figure there should be 30 #1 centers in the league each year, he's clearly on that list. He was top 15 last season in PPG as a 23-year-old, ahead of several guys who are seen as purely offensive #1 types.

And if this sounds like a Leaf fan trying to justify Burke blowing his brains out to trade for the guy, well... maybe.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #52
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It's probably worth pointing out that what you just described (30 goals, + defense, excellent on the PK) is absolutely a #1 center.

Pavel Datsyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Obviously not in the Crosby/Malkin/Datsyuk way, but if you figure there should be 30 #1 centers in the league each year, he's clearly on that list. He was top 15 last season in PPG as a 23-year-old, ahead of several guys who are seen as purely offensive #1 types.

fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
And if this sounds like a Leaf fan trying to justify Burke blowing his brains out to trade for the guy, well... maybe.

Staal for Kessel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #53
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Obviously not in the Crosby/Malkin/Sedin way, but if you figure there should be 30 #1 centers in the league each year, he's clearly on that list. He was top 15 last season in PPG as a 23-year-old, ahead of several guys who are seen as purely offensive #1 types.

I don't know if he'd perform that way if matched against #1 D pairs every night.

But I do agree 30g / 70 points is a #1 now.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #54
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

It's a big week for the Rick Nash "sweepstakes". I'm guessing he'll be traded either tomorrow or Friday and I know that I'll be disappointed in the return. I'd like Howson to send him to SJ for Pavelski+Niemi+prospect, but I doubt that will happen. Especially with Harding resigning with MIN, the CBJ need a goalie in the worst way. I'd even be OK with a pick+Methot to VAN for Luongo, even with that contract.

And with the 2nd pick tomorrow, I expect that Howson will find a way to screw it up, by not picking either one of Yakupov or Murray, which I think are the top 2 players out there. The only one I wouldn't be as upset with is Galyenchuk, who I think is under the radar because of his injury this year. I'm not as high on Forsberg as the Jackets seem to be (which I hope is a smokescreen).

I'm trying to care about this team, but until they actually show some commitment to winning at the top (convincing John Davidson to come aboard would be a start), its hard for me to commit to following this team. I'm sure come the start of the season, it will be different, but we shall see.

An interesting side story: I'm teaching a chemistry class this summer at Ohio State and I had my students fill out a sheet to get to know them. Turns out that I have Brendan Arniel (ex-CBJ coach Scott Arniel's son) in my class. Small world.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #55
Grover
Pro Starter

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635434&navid=DL|NHL|home

Flyers open up at home against the Bruins on Oct 11. Awesome.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #56
bhlloy
Coordinator

Getting a little ahead of yourself there I think. A full season has got to be less than a 50/50 proposition right now
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

Agreed.

But if it were to happen, the Rangers open in LA to see the Cup banner raised. I hope it serves as motivation for the team.

Thanks to the next phase of renovations of MSG (and the delay in getting started thanks to the playoff run), NYR open with 8 straight on the road.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #58
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I watched very little of the NHL awards, but kept flipping back to catch Malkin on stage.

His acceptance speech for the Hart was pretty awesome.

Paraphrasing, but he said he'd like to dedicate the award to someone who has helped him alot during his 6 NHL seasons, especially when he was new to the league, language and country. And then says he's glad he met him because he considers him to be his best friend - Sergei Gonchar.

On a side note, while the Lindsay (Pearson) has only been around since 1972, only 5 players have won the Lindsay/Pearson, Hart, Art Ross and Conn Smythe at some point during their career-

Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Malkin
Old 06-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #59
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

In anticipation of the draft this weekend, the city has been holding different events in town. Yesterday, they closed down a bridge (this bridge gets closed regularly and used as a walkway from downtown to PNC Park) for a dek game

Top Prospects Trade Skates for Sneakers on Roberto Clemente Bridge - Pittsburgh Penguins - Features

Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #60
Grover
Pro Starter

Welp...

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Reply Retweet Favorite ·More
Breaking news: Hearing Jordan Staal turned down 10-yr mega offer from PIT. Has indicated to PIT he doesn't plan on signing extension now.

If Staal won't re-up in PIT, where he loves it, not expected to extend with anyone else who may trade for him. Except perhaps Carolina.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #61
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I watched very little of the NHL awards, but kept flipping back to catch Malkin on stage.

I thought the show, overall, was pretty awful.

The comedy was bad. Arnett was used pretty poorly in the Shanahan sketches, Morgan was all right in the 24/7 sketch. Calling Bryz the "Yoda of Hockey" was pretty brilliant though.

Too much comedy without laughs for me, though.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #62
Logan
Head Coach

If he's willing to go to FA, there's another brother he could play with...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #63
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Welp...

Breaking news: Hearing Jordan Staal turned down 10-yr mega offer from PIT. Has indicated to PIT he doesn't plan on signing extension now.

If Staal won't re-up in PIT, where he loves it, not expected to extend with anyone else who may trade for him. Except perhaps Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Curious what a "mega offer" would be. If it's 10 years, but averages $5M, he'd be stupid to sign it.

Even if he extends with the Pens eventually, something like 3 years, $5.5M per, he'd still only be 26 coming out of that contract. And sign a "mega offer" then. Unless this thing was term and money, no reason for him to even look at it.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #64
Logan
Head Coach

There's also the thought that he could legitimately not want to play behind Crosby/Malkin anymore, no?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #65
Grover
Pro Starter

Dreger is saying Staal turned down 10 years, $60 mil

Old 06-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #66
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's also the thought that he could legitimately not want to play behind Crosby/Malkin anymore, no?

Agree, that's part of it too.

Now, would he be more agreeable to sticking behind them if the amount was $80M and not $60 (not suggesting the Pens pay him that)? Sure.

Quote:

This always kills me too. If the lure of playing alongside his brother is so strong, why do we never hear of him maybe wanting to go to NY? Or Eric to NY? Or Marc to Carolina? Or poor Jared....to any team desparate enough to stick him on their roster?

HF cracks me up, dozens of posts immediately that he must be moving to Carolina, tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dreger is saying Staal turned down 10 years, $60 mil

If that's true, that's a LOT of money to turn down. Who knows what contracts will look like under the next CBA? Owners definitely want to reduce the amount the players get from 57% down to 50%, so that will certainly impact salaries. There will also likely be some rule to limit long term deals like this.

He must really be unhappy in Pittsburg if he's willing to walk away from $60 (or even $50) million guaranteed.

I blame Cindy Crosby!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #68
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This guy isn't very reliable, but...

Twitter / RobRossi_Trib: Source close to talks tell

Quote:
Source close to talks tells @TribSports that Staal has not ruled out remaining w/ ‪#pens‬ but would talk contract if traded to ‪#canes‬
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #69
Grover
Pro Starter

I find Rossi, and to a lesser extent Rorsabaugh (sp?) to be idiots. Seth in particular is one of the biggest homers I've ever come across.

Don't get me wrong, I hate most of Philly's beat writers too, with the exception of Sarah Baicker, Dave Isaac and Dave Strehle.

On the other hand, Dreger and McKenzie are two of the most respected in the biz.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #70
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I find Rossi, and to a lesser extent Rorsabaugh (sp?) to be idiots. Seth in particular is one of the biggest homers I've ever come across.

Don't get me wrong, I hate most of Philly's beat writers too, with the exception of Sarah Baicker, Dave Isaac and Dave Strehle.

On the other hand, Dreger and McKenzie are two of the most respected in the biz.

I hate Rossi. I love Rorabaugh's Empty Netters blog...but then again, it's for me (me, generallized, as a Pens fan).

Rossi, like most "journalists" now are intent on being first, not necessarily right.

Dave Molinari with the PG is the best in town.

Edit to add-

Quote:
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Don't expect Staal to be traded until/unless he asks to be, or if Shero decides Penguins can't re-sign him or wait any longer for decision.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-21-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #71
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Another rumor

Quote:
@darenmillard #coyotes put yandle back In play. He was available for the right price @ the deadline. Deal is close. #sndraft
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #72
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Draft day!! Heading to a buddies place to watch with some friends, hoping for a couple trades and a good pick by Chevy. If I were in charge of the Jets right now I'd be looking to draft Faksa (assuming Galchenyuk and Forsberg are off the table). If not him, then one of the dozen defensemen that are littering the top of most peoples charts. I'd stay away from Grigorenko and any winger (Teravainenainan or whatever).

Draft day!!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #73
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Draft day!! Heading to a buddies place to watch with some friends, hoping for a couple trades and a good pick by Chevy. If I were in charge of the Jets right now I'd be looking to draft Faksa (assuming Galchenyuk and Forsberg are off the table). If not him, then one of the dozen defensemen that are littering the top of most peoples charts. I'd stay away from Grigorenko and any winger (Teravainenainan or whatever).

Draft day!!

Draft is in Pittsburgh....and I can't go

Today is my daughter's birthday, and tomorrow her party.

Sak is using my ticket for tonight. I think he said he's wearing a Crosby jersey tonight. Another friend has my tickets for tomorrow.

Would have been fun to go and watch the floor, try to pick out the deals being made.

Penguins...BPA at #22. Unless this whole Staal/Carolina thing comes about, and the Pens end up with Carolina's #8. I think there are the top 2-3 guys, then the next tier with all those D available. And then after 15 or so, I think those guys are interchangeable.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In a recent interview (yesterday) Detroit Red Wings Assistant GM Jim Nill said the Wings drafting philosophy is changing. They are looking for more size nowadays, since the old plan of drafting smaller players and waiting for them to get bigger and stronger no longer works under the current CBA. It will be interesting to see how that plays out in this draft.

In related news, it looks like the Wings are going to sign this year's Fabian Brunstrom/Ville Leino, Swiss forward Damien Brunner. Apparently he led the Swiss league in scoring by 9 points last year and impressed folks at the World Championship. He is also like 5'10", 186 lbs. So, not really the size Nill was talking about.

In any event, I am sure Brunner will love Grand Rapids. It's a nice little city.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #75
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In a recent interview (yesterday) Detroit Red Wings Assistant GM Jim Nill said the Wings drafting philosophy is changing. They are looking for more size nowadays, since the old plan of drafting smaller players and waiting for them to get bigger and stronger no longer works under the current CBA. It will be interesting to see how that plays out in this draft.

In related news, it looks like the Wings are going to sign this year's Fabian Brunstrom/Ville Leino, Swiss forward Damien Brunner. Apparently he led the Swiss league in scoring by 9 points last year and impressed folks at the World Championship. He is also like 5'10", 186 lbs. So, not really the size Nill was talking about.

In any event, I am sure Brunner will love Grand Rapids. It's a nice little city.

Back in 2008, the Pens signed Janne Pesonen from the Finnish league. He was the leading scorer, and for his efforts, got to wear a gold helmet, signifying just that - he's the league's leading scorer.

I hope Brunner has something equally awesome to bring over with him.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #76
Grover
Pro Starter

Phenomenal stuff as Homer continues to own Scott Howson.

Bobrovsky has been traded to Columbus for three draft picks, including #45 overall, according to TSN's Darren Dreger

Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #77
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Bobrovsky has been traded to Columbus for three draft picks, including #45 overall, according to TSN's Darren Dreger

I thought it was illegal for Philly to hold any 2nd round picks. Ever.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #78
Grover
Pro Starter

McKenzie reporting it's #45 and two fourth rounders.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #79
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
McKenzie reporting it's #45 and two fourth rounders.

One of the 4ths is a 2013 pick from Phoenix.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #80
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Seems like quite a bit for a backup goalie, no?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #81
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I can't wait until he's shipped to LA in February
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #82
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Seems like quite a bit for a backup goalie, no?

Seems like quite a bit for a goalie that was 41st in save percentage and 40th in GAA

Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #83
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Seems like quite a bit for a goalie that was 41st in save percentage and 40th in GAA

And yet Howson is demanding 4-5 legitimate assets in return for one of the worst contracts in the NHL.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #84
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And yet Howson is demanding 4-5 legitimate assets in return for one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

Imagine what he'd want if Nash hadn't asked to be traded!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #85
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

I almost feel bad for Columbus fans. Almost.

Howson continues to get fleeced by nearly every other GM in the league, but Homer must have pix of Howson's wife or something.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #86
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Pretty poor trade for Columbus. Even if Bobrovsky turns into a decent starter (which I'm still betting against), given his existing body of work Howson shouldn't have had to give up that much to get him.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #87
chadritt
High School Varsity

Tim Thomas apparently waives his NMC but still says hes taking next year off anyway.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #88
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

He has been compared to Jiri Hudler with better speed. If he can come close to replacing 25 goals that we lose with Hudler leaving Detroit, we aren't doing too bad, especially considering he costs a fraction of what Huds will command on the open market. If he doesn't make the team, Grand Rapids can most definitely use him and the Wings lose nothing.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #89
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Tim Thomas apparently waives his NMC but still says hes taking next year off anyway.

Methinks we have seen the last of TT in the NHL....

Quote:
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #90
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

Cap floor team?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #91
bbor
Pro Starter

Seriously?...For Bobrovsy?

W.T.F!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #92
Grover
Pro Starter

Lots of rumors the Flyers are trying to move up. I've been reading about the Ducks pick being the one they're after.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #93
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Seriously?...For Bobrovsy?

W.T.F!

But this paves the way for Luongo to Toronto!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #94
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
But this paves the way for Luongo to Toronto!

I think we all know Luongo will end up in Toronto. No way does Burke not make changes to the Leafs.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #95
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

That's the only part that makes sense. He thinks Bob is worth three draft picks.

By comparison, Nash is worth about 6 assets.

He's completely wrong on both counts, but at least he has the consistency going
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #96
Grover
Pro Starter

Anyone else watching Sports Talk on NBCSN? Pretty sure Pierre is wearing lipstick.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #97
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Anyone else watching Sports Talk on NBCSN? Pretty sure Pierre is wearing lipstick.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #98
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Visnosvky to the Isle for a 2nd rounder.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #99
Danny
Head Coach

"And with the 30th and final pick in the first round"

How sweet the sound!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #100
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Caps acquire Mike Ribeiro from Stars for Cody Eakin and the 54th pick.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote