Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
yeah826
High School JV

Yeah826 is creating a Basketball Game!!

Introduction

Hey guys long time member/lurker I've been getting inspired when I read about guys here attempting to create games on there own so I decided to jump into the pool as well!.

A little background during the day I work as an engineer but I really only took 1 semester of a programming class and it was a class meant for people who were never suppose to program in the real world and so that's where all my experience is!!

I've decided to write my code in C++ I've been coding my match engine since about October. My inspiration for this engine came from Football Manager a game I enjoy so much. So with that in mind I created this engine so that you can actually watch the players play the game in real time.

Starting out was pretty tough but I got a pretty good build going as of right now and i can say that if I wanted to represent the engine in ASCII art I could, but my focus is having the match engine display in 2D and work from there.

yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Awesome! Can't wait to see it!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

Good luck. Looking forward to trying it out.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
yeah826
High School JV

Match Engine Update

So I'm back with some more good news I'm making great progress with my match engine I got a couple things to finish off before I can say its done with the preliminary stage(Getting the results to be realistic will be another story).

I finished coding in free throw shooting getting the players to move to the right position and how they should react when a shot is made or miss.

Also was able to finish the rebounding portion though I did run into an interesting bug while working on it where if there were no players around where the ball supposedly landed no one was able to find it . That is fixed now though.

Here's a look at some of the action though its kinda funny that my Away Center grabbed his rebound after missing the free throw. Then I remembered that I made him 6'10" (and the best jumper) and everyone else 5'1" (can barely get off the ground) .....(Take that as you will)

Last edited by yeah826 : 06-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Player5Away is my favorite player so far.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
yeah826
High School JV

Match Engine Update

Hey all so I'm still coding away working my ultimate simulation just finish working on the loose ball code namely handling how players handle bad passes and blocked shot.

So I've been going through my code and I notice that I have up to 24 player attributes not including their tendencies it should make all the players pretty unique and have multiple playstyles for each player.

So now I'm on to finishing up the player driving dribble code (mostly how the defense reacts to the player moving off ball).

Once I do that I'm gonna work on generating the stat lines of the players or just accomodating players tendencies and they should react during the game.

Last edited by yeah826 : 02-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
yeah826
High School JV

Match Engine Update

Hello everyone so I've been going at my code revising old codes and fixing some bugs up. I'm actually pretty excited about how much I am improving with all this stuff right now on this match engine I have about 15k lines of code. I finished up working on players posting up and how they should be defended. Next on my list of things to complete are the fast break mechanics, how stamina will be working on this game, and tendencies. After that I can say that the match engine( Well at least the rough draft of it will be complete).

From that point on I will be working on creating the 2D match presentation of the engine while focusing on how the tactics will work together with the game. I want to get to the point where I can watch the players that I have actually play the game out right now its really on being shown if I just want to see numbers moving around so its not very pretty lol.

Though I will say once I get the match engine finish I can say that I finish my first goal so I'm still pushing through and really enjoying this.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #9
yeah826
High School JV

Match Engine is done for now....

So I been gone for a while but I have still been working on the game I finished a rough draft of my match engine but now I was stuck with over 20k lines of code.

So since this was being coded in C++ I decided to refactor my code in a more OOP approach so that when I implement my graphics it won't be such a head ache.

And here are my first results (excuse the programmer art). Now as of right now I have no idea how to make GIFs and I dont have a youtube account but once i get to that point I want to show you guys the player movement that I have going on.

Last edited by yeah826 : 06-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
yeah826
High School JV

Hello everyone so now I've been working on my match screen so that people can watch the players actually go out and play the game. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my text to screen to update better but as of now I'm running into issues on what I can show to the screen and what I believe will be important for people to see while the game is being played.

https://media.giphy.com/media/X7NLbT...SbyP/giphy.gif

I'm probably gonna put some of the animation on hold so that I can focus on some of the other portion of the game like making a small database and have teams play against each other.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Lookin' good!

I put the animation off too. I still haven't implemented anything more than my basic running animation and a player falling down when he's tackled.

It's been 2 years so far, and I'm glad I put it off because the engine has changed so much that I would have ended up redoing it a couple of times.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #12
yeah826
High School JV

Thanks, yeah I felt that animation can take a backseat while I focus on getting the season/career mode up and running since art isn't exactly my specialty I should focus on finishing up what I'm good at.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
yeah826
High School JV

Figure out how to make a database

So good news i figured out how to get sqlite integrated into my C++ and I got it to pull data into my match engine. Also I figured out how to code in sqlite. This is great news since it seems like most of my game will be me working within this database however I decided to use it.

I'm thinking that now is a good time to see if I can put together a dummy league nothing too special but enough that I can put this season mode together. So the first steps are I'm going to make a 4 team league and work from there.

So the teams I chose for this trial will be the

Cleveland Caveliers
Boston Celtics
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets

These four teams will just be my basis on how I go about making sure that I can handle just getting the basics out of the way for my simulation. These post entries are probably gonna increase more due to the fact that I have my baseline for my game going now.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
yeah826
High School JV

May be switching to a new framework

Hello all so I been working on the menu's and systems for the basketball game but as of right now I feel that SFML (my graphics library) doesn't have all the capabilities that I would like for my game. So I'm thinking of switching to a new engine. (If anyone has any recommendations I'm open).

Right now I think that Qt will fit what I am looking for and it seems that it just has more functionality for what I need, but Ill keep chipping away and see what I am left with.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #15
thakfu
n00b

Curious to know if this is still a thing? I'm in the beginning stages of working on a modular sim project and would love to see where you're at!
thakfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
yeah826
High School JV

Hey I'm actually back now (sorry I literally just saw this) from my hiatus lol. I will be posting a full update later this evening to show some of my progress.

Last edited by yeah826 : 06-05-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #17
yeah826
High School JV

Developers Journal 1

Developers Journal 1
Hello everyone I am back with an update for the basketball game that I am making sorry for the long hiatus between a wedding, starting a new job, moving, and video games... My hiatus took me out of working on this for about a year. I got back into working on this game for about 2 months now. With renewed motivations I completed my first goal that I was aiming for when making this game.

• Create a match engine for basketball sim - Done
  • No trades - Done
  • Be able to simulate a season with 4 teams round robin style - Done
  • CPU able to set starters and substitution logic. - Done
  • Able to view all stats - Done
  • Generate a fictional database - Done
(edit) This site just won't let me upload my screenshots lol.Anyone may know the issue I have the pixel size correct.

Right now I'm gonna sort out what is the next goal I aim to achieve to run to improve the game in a realistic timeframe.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
yeah826
High School JV

Developers Journal 2: Goal #2
Hello everyone,

I'm gonna work on speed things along and allow you guys to follow my process when it comes to the development of the game. So I've been coming up with what I should focus on next and I came out with a pretty short but sweet list on what to focus on.

• Sim engine related improvements (Improve fastbreak code, more realistic stats like get steals and offensive rebounds down).
  • Implement calendar system that will work with basketball schedule generated and training system which will be part of the next goal.
  • Tactics (Basic version)
  • UI Improvement I would very much like to improve my UI if I could post pictures I would ask for some input but my initial thinking is I should aim for how sites like ESPN looks.
With these goals in mind the first thing that I am going to look at is improving the fast break code. As of right now, I've coded the engine so that it actually works in a 2D/3D space. The problem is when taking account for the players acceleration and speed attributes and their initial starting points. I'm just having difficulties figuring out where the players should go. (In a sense peering into the future). Right now I'm trying to keep this process short and simple without it being buggy and cause the simulation to take too long to run. (Each games takes about 3 seconds to run)

I remember when I played basketball in high school we ran drills like the 2 on 1, 3 on 2, etc so I am focusing on finding the right balance where things don't get out of hand.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
yeah826
High School JV

Screenshot

Hey guys this is a test post but I signed up for imgur to see if I can posted a screenshot here let me know if you guys an see it.

https://imgur.com/NtV6G8r
Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #20
yeah826
High School JV

Developers Journal 2: Goal #2 - Part 1
Hello everyone,

So earlier I had posted some of the goals that I plan on working on during this portion of development. As of right now I've improved the UI element for the game so it is looking a lot better than where I have started. I've also implement a calendar system and schedule system so now I can simulate a whole season without recompiling the software.

Next my focus is on implement a basic tactics system:

My thought process for right now is to have a basic system where you can set the lineup for the players and the minutes played. Now I plan on going much further than this but I want to engine to produce more realistic results before I start implementing some real crazy things I'm aiming for like roles, base formation, and plays.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #21
yeah826
High School JV

Developers Journal 2: Goal #2 - Part 2
Hello everyone,

So I have some more screenshots to post first is my WIP player information screen shot.

https://imgur.com/1css6hr

Next is my WIP tactics screen

https://imgur.com/iyWzXK2

As of now I am working on balancing out my sim engine I've found that steals and blocks are a little too high. While also finding out that there's a stat that has too much impact on rebounding but its not the rebounding stat.

While I am balancing the sim engine I will also be working on implementing the playoffs in the game.

I will also like to mention that sense I am rebalancing the sim engine what is being seen is a very basic version of the tactics screen I didn't to add too much while the game is kinda out of wack.

Also for my player information screen I want to make use of the space I have available but as of right now I'm trying to figure out what is best to add so that the players can get a good idea of what the player can do.

Last edited by yeah826 : 07-07-2019 at 09:16 PM.