Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #201
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Oh, I agree a lot happened during the episode, I was only referring to the final scene. There were about six different bad things I was expecting to happen.

I think most people will disagree, but I'm fine with it. I thought it was good.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #202
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
There were about six different bad things I was expecting to happen.

And that was the absolutely beautiful thing about it. In all honesty, I would've been disappointed if Tony was whacked (unless he committed suicide) or if he flipped.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #203
GoDukes
Mascot

More shows need to take a lesson from Six Feet Unders finale.
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #204
Bad-example
College Starter

I was very happy and relieved to see that after a long, tense ordeal, Meadow was able to get that car parked.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #205
Johnny93g
College Starter

Dont Stop.........Believing
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #206
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
And that was the absolutely beautiful thing about it. In all honesty, I would've been disappointed if Tony was whacked (unless he committed suicide) or if he flipped.

This I agree with. The other scenarios were just to ambitious for the last hour.

Spoiler
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #207
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Great ending. A perfect Soprano's ending. Left me wanting more.

Well, I wouldnt really be bummed with that if the episode was so good that I didn't want it to end.

But I want more because the ending was incomplete. This was unlike this season we've seen. It was more like last seasons Kevin Finnerty nonsense.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #208
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post
Well, I wouldnt really be bummed with that if the episode was so good that I didn't want it to end.

But I want more because the ending was incomplete. This was unlike this season we've seen. It was more like last seasons Kevin Finnerty nonsense.

I don't see at as incomplete. This is how the show is. Life goes on. There will be a tommorow in Soprano's world. We just wont see it.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #209
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The creators said they knew just how the show was going to end when they started out in season one. More power to them for telling the story they wanted to tell, and not change it based on what people that came in after they created it wanted it to end.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #210
PineTar
High School JV

Don't stop believing....
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #211
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I thought a Springsteen song would have been used, since it was Jersey. 'Born to Run' would have fit.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #212
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
There will be a tommorow in Soprano's world. We just wont see it.

Unless they decide to make a movie at some point. I sense a huge payday at some point down the road.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #213
Logan
Head Coach

I loved the final scene. That's how Tony will continue to live his life...always having to look at who's coming and going, wondering if that face coming through the door is the one to either put a bullet in his head or end up in cuffs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #214
Hoya1
High School JV

terrific episode.

ended perfectly. This show was less about the mob, and more about family.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #215
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I loved the final scene. That's how Tony will continue to live his life...always having to look at who's coming and going, wondering if that face coming through the door is the one to either put a bullet in his head or end up in cuffs.

I just had a thought. Maybe the guy going into the bathroom was going to get a gun. Like he and Bobby said on the boat, you'll probably never hear it coming. He looked up to see Meadow walk through the door, and the screen went blank because he got a bullet in the head right at that moment.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #216
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
I don't see at as incomplete. This is how the show is. Life goes on. There will be a tommorow in Soprano's world. We just wont see it.

Cop out. This will go down as a poor ending. The writers are charged with telling a story - and they couldn't end it. They got lazy and couldn't end the show.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #217
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
I just had a thought. Maybe the guy going into the bathroom was going to get a gun. Like he and Bobby said on the boat, you'll probably never hear it coming. He looked up to see Meadow walk through the door, and the screen went blank because he got a bullet in the head right at that moment.

This gets my vote. Blank screen and no sound.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #218
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

It's funny...I had just told my friend that this is exactly what I thought happened, and I actually typed it out only to delete it. My stumbling block was...who ordered the hit? Basically all we have left is some renegade member of Phil's crew who is pissed. While I like the theory, it's not enough for me to think that's what happened.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #219
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:

I like this assumption. Very possible.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #220
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Am I the only one that noticed Tony had a different shirt on when he entered the diner than the one he had on while seated? I thought that it was a "Tony's ghost is there to see himself get whacked" kind of thing. Anyone else?

Someone go look and tell me I'm not drunk-while drinking Dr. Pepper only.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #221
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Am I the only one that noticed Tony had a different shirt on when he entered the diner than the one he had on while seated? I thought that it was a "Tony's ghost is there to see himself get whacked" kind of thing. Anyone else?

nope, good catch, now that you brought it up, you are right. didnt notice at the time.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #222
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Cop out. This will go down as a poor ending. The writers are charged with telling a story - and they couldn't end it. They got lazy and couldn't end the show.

Okay...how do you end it? Obviously Tony wasn't going to die. He "won" in a sense. Phil's gone, and whoever takes over that crew will have a nice working relationship with Jersey.

So you're left with two options:

- Tony flipping. That would be disastrous to me. Tony has never shown the weakness that would warrant that, and it would be more of a "cop out" than what you're complaining about.

- Tony getting arrested. Okay, perfectly legitimate ending, right? But if the end of the episode is Tony getting taken in, how does that neatly wrap it up? Then you're left wondering if he's going to be convicted, if he's going to take a lesser sentence by ratting out some of his guys or NY, etc.

What you (and many, many others) seem to want is to see Tony end up getting cuffed, and then have a nice series of quick flashes displaying what happened to everyone, finally including, "Tony Soprano was convicted of 47 counts of interstate fraud, conspiracy, racketeering, etc and was sentenced to 35 years in prison. He will be eligible for parole in 2029."

THAT is a cop out.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #223
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

It also looked like he was sitting somewhere very different than where he ended up sitting with the family.

Gonna need another viewing to figure out what was up with that.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #224
cartman
Death Herald

Now, I'm curious. I wonder if either one of those shirts was worn by 'Kevin Finnerty'.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #225
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
...Tony end up getting cuffed, and then have a nice series of quick flashes displaying what happened to everyone, finally including, "Tony Soprano was convicted of 47 counts of interstate fraud, conspiracy, racketeering, etc and was sentenced to 35 years in prison. He will be eligible for parole in 2029."

THAT is a cop out.

Amen.

As an aside, my wife and I were running around getting the kids into bed at 9, so we set the DVR to start taping and wound up about 2 minutes behind. When the screen went blank, we both sat bolt upright and started cursing a blue streak, thinking that the DVR had stopped taping. It took a few minutes to figure out exactly what was going on.

But I thought the ending was brilliant. Really, there is no way to "wrap up" the entire show without doing the Law and Order text flashes at the end. In my initial confusion over the blank screen, I told my wife that I was certain that the guy would appear in the bathroom doorway and take a shot at Tony, only to hit Meadow as she rushed in and sit down next to him. That still seems plausible, but the greatness of the ending is that so do about a half a dozen different scenarios. However you feel about the characters, the show, life in general ... the show ends however you want it to end.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #226
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Okay...how do you end it?

That's the job of the writers.

Quote:
Obviously Tony wasn't going to die. He "won" in a sense. Phil's gone, and whoever takes over that crew will have a nice working relationship with Jersey.

So you're left with two options:

- Tony flipping. That would be disastrous to me. Tony has never shown the weakness that would warrant that, and it would be more of a "cop out" than what you're complaining about.

- Tony getting arrested. Okay, perfectly legitimate ending, right? But if the end of the episode is Tony getting taken in, how does that neatly wrap it up? Then you're left wondering if he's going to be convicted, if he's going to take a lesser sentence by ratting out some of his guys or NY, etc.

What you (and many, many others) seem to want is to see Tony end up getting cuffed, and then have a nice series of quick flashes displaying what happened to everyone, finally including, "Tony Soprano was convicted of 47 counts of interstate fraud, conspiracy, racketeering, etc and was sentenced to 35 years in prison. He will be eligible for parole in 2029."

THAT is a cop out.

I don't need to see that necessarily. I wanted the show to be wrapped up. I wanted everything that was told over the last 7 seasons to mean something.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #227
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms View Post
the greatness of the ending is that so do about a half a dozen different scenarios. However you feel about the characters, the show, life in general ... the show ends however you want it to end.

See, that's why I think it's a copout. If I wanted to imagine some crime family, I can do that. But I'm watching a show where people are paid to write a story - not to give me ideas about a story in my head.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #228
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I really like the ending scene, just so many possibilities, and the fade to black leaves plenty to discuss. On the whole, though, I was disappointed with the final episode, it seemed to just try to wrap up too many meaningless threads without much happening.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #229
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I thought the episode was disappointing right up until the end. The ending was great. It just leaves you to think. Journey's "Don't Stop Believing"...Man...I have gone from really disliking this song to reveling in it's cheesy power. It's like coke....after your first line, you're like "wtf is this shit?". And then, by the end of the night, after a few shots and a half dozen rails, it has you pumping your fist like an excited monkey.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #230
astrosfan64
College Prospect

It was an ending.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #231
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Since they shot multiple endings there is a possibility that Tony's shirt got 'dirty' in one of them and had to use another one.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #232
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:

He isn't wearing a different shirt than when he came in. He came in with a jacket on. The part of the shirt you can see through the open jacket is the same color as that part of the shirt he is wearing in the booth.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #233
Schmidty
Coordinator

I never watch one second of the show, but on a whim, I flipped to the show and watched the last 15 minutes. The acting was pretty good (except for the main guy's horrifically stupid voice) and it seemed well directed, but the ending made me think I didn't miss much.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #234
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I wanted everything that was told over the last 7 seasons to mean something.

Then you were watching the wrong show if you wanted some sort of ending. Part of the lure and frustration with David Chase is that he is not conventional with beginnings and ends. If you don't believe me, watch the season preimeres and finales of The Sopranos over the years as well as the fascination with dream sequences.

Quote:
See, that's why I think it's a copout. If I wanted to imagine some crime family, I can do that. But I'm watching a show where people are paid to write a story - not to give me ideas about a story in my head.

Your half-right here. Those people "are getting paid to write a story," but Chase has said from the very beginning that he was not sold on the typical rise and fall of a gangster story (as in Godfather and Goodfellas) and wasn't sure if he wanted to stick with that pattern.

IMO, the way it ended was the most realistic of all possible endings. There are other subtle things going on in that episode that make it great.

-Paulie's long looks of contempt for Tony v. duty to Tony every time they talked
-Tony starting to go on about his Mother at AJ's psychologist and the looks that Carmella was giving him while doing so.
-AJ's sudden fascination with the Army and then flaking out as he always does.

Thus, in truth, a lot of things were resolved:

-Tony's going to have the stress for the rest of his life until death or mental disease (why the visit with Uncle June was so important)
-AJ is going to be a flake for the rest of his life
-Meadow is never going to fulfill her potential
-Carmella is going to break-down soon, as well.

That was the whole meaning of this show. It was not a gangster type show. Chase wanted to show viewers the stress of the hidden mafia world and its impact on a person who can seem to be a hero even though he really is a villan. He did a great job, and you can tell the series was successful b/c you wanted more. I felt the same way after Seinfeld ended and both series ended in somewhat the same way.

Nevertheless, I doubt it's the last time you hear from the Soprano's. Someone will throw Chase or some other director and the actor's a boatload of cash to convince them to be in a two hour movie which will basically be a direct ripoff of Goodfellas. Me, I probably won't catch that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I never watch one second of the show, but on a whim, I flipped to the show and watched the last 15 minutes. The acting was pretty good (except for the main guy's horrifically stupid voice) and it seemed well directed, but the ending made me think I didn't miss much.

Typical.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #235
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That was a very good ending. And the Phil killing....that was an awesome hit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #236
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Much like alot of people I disliked the ending when I initially saw it but RedKingGold and others here make good points so I guess I can see the "artistic value" of the episode.

My wife and I thought our TiVo cut out, and she is still bitter about the ending. We had been watching all the episodes over again and in two weeks just finished through season 2. I loved the tension the entire episode because you thought there was going to a bloodbath of people being killed and you kept waiting at the edge of your seat. I definitely think there is room for a movie, and there would be one in a few years.

Question, why did they think Carlo flipped just because he missed a meeting? Isn't that a bit over presumptious? How many times did Christopher miss meetings or others were late? Why not suspect that he was whacked and not flipped?

I thought the cat was staring at the picture of Christopher because there was a small camera or something in it that the Feds had in there.

Why was Butchie and the NY family so eager to dump/turn on Phil after going so far with him? They alread whacked Tony's top guys, seemed like they threw in the towel too early.

I liked how Agent Harris was happy and said "We might win" when he found out about Phil. I guess over the years he has grown to like Tony so much that he was rooting for him. It was an interesting character turn to see the Agent Harris cheating on his wife as well, painting the picture of the fact that even the good guys are immoral as well.

So is Juniors condition implying that all Sopranos end up like that or something (if they aren't whacked or die of health problem)?

Is AJ going in the army another Godfather reference?

Tony's crew is so "beat up" to me. He has Paulie who seems like he is starting to dislike Tony. Sil is pretty much dead. Bobby is too. Carlo flipped. Basically he has Patsy, Benny, Walden (random character who was introduced late), his fat driver and who else? Why did NY cave into that? I guess they didn't want to have too much inner struggle.

EDIT: I did hear from other places that they filmed multiple endings. Was this to throw of the media or any spoilers so that know one knew what the real ending would be or do you think that these multiple endings will be released at some point if they were for real?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 06-11-2007 at 06:58 AM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #237
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Question, why did they think Carlo flipped just because he missed a meeting? Isn't that a bit over presumptious? How many times did Christopher miss meetings or others were late? Why not suspect that he was whacked and not flipped?

Should be the other way around, I think ... he missed the meeting because he flipped. Paulie made a reference to his son (I think?) getting picked up on a drug charge the day before, with the implication being that he flipped to get him off the hook.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #238
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Should be the other way around, I think ... he missed the meeting because he flipped. Paulie made a reference to his son (I think?) getting picked up on a drug charge the day before, with the implication being that he flipped to get him off the hook.

So I am almost positive there were numerous times when Christopher missed meetings, they never automatically assumed he flipped?

And where did AJ get the BMW from when a scene earlier they said they aren't getting him a new car?

Last edited by gottimd : 06-11-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I rewatched the ending, it seems as if there is a focus on the 2 black guys walking in, and you can see that Tony didn't see them. Now maybe they were just there to get some food, but it would almost be a full circle thing if they did do the job....aka the whole thing where he made up the one story to cover his panic attack that kept him from getting pinched with Tony B.

Just a thought anyways.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #240
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
So I am almost positive there were numerous times when Christopher missed meetings, they never automatically assumed he flipped?

*shurg* They knew the feds were closing in ... maybe the surrounding environment was more conducive to that kind of paranoia than it had been in the past.

Quote:
And where did AJ get the BMW from when a scene earlier they said they aren't getting him a new car?

AJ told his girlfriend there wasn't any public transportation out where he was working, so they "had" to get him a new car. He made sure it wasn't an SUV though. I suspect it was also a bit of a bribe to get him to give up the Army talk.

Last edited by Simms : 06-11-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #241
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
*shurg* They knew the feds were closing in ... maybe the surrounding environment was more conducive to that kind of paranoia than it had been in the past.
The Feds had been closing in for many years. It just seemed a bit too much to speculate so soon. The Feds have always been on their tail since Altieri flipped, and years before that.

At that moment though, there was less suspicion of the Feds closing in, and more of a worry about the on going family war. Aliteri flipping, Pussy flipping, Bevilacqua murder, Fake Airline tickets, Johnny Sac arrest are all times I can think of when the Feds seemed to be a lot closer than this last episode.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #242
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That's the job of the writers.

I don't need to see that necessarily. I wanted the show to be wrapped up. I wanted everything that was told over the last 7 seasons to mean something.

Your first response is perfectly typical. The writers did do their job; you just didn't like it because there was no nice little bow on top.

Why should the show be "wrapped up?" His life isn't over, he survived the biggest attempted hit on himself and his Family to this point, so he continues to go on, always on the lookout for the guy coming to kill him. RKG hit the biggest point:

Quote:
Chase wanted to show viewers the stress of the hidden mafia world and its impact on a person who can seem to be a hero even though he really is a villan.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #243
Desmond
Banned

I thought the final scene was a homage or wrap up to the entire Terrorist storyline as well as melding with the "it could come at any moment" fear that Tony lives in. Admit that when you were watching it that you were leery of the Italian dude, and then when the black guys walked in you (the royal you, or "we" as it may be) of course were leery of them. Even the middle aged hunter dude with USA on his hat was focused on. We were all waiting for it to come from somewhere and someone, which is what life has become post 9/11. Even if it's not a someone it can be a something, like hurrying across a street at night.

The viewer saw evil in everything that happened in that final 5 minutes even though in the end nothing happened.

At the end of the day no matter how paranoid we are we just wanna sit down with our loved ones, have some good food, and not stop believing.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #244
stevew
Hall Of Famer

interesting article about the "Man in the Members only Jacket"

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...7-1360360.html
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #245
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #246
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Where did you get that info from? I could see Nikki Leotardo, but wouldn't Tony recognize him if he was sitting there for that long? As for the trucker, that sounds like speculation and same with the two black kids. Screen shot comparisons?!?!?!?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #247
Mateo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends

I read this exact quote from the HBO boards. I love it when random people post shit they see and make it sound like they got the inside scoop...

Last edited by Mateo : 06-11-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #248
Subby
lolzcat

A Bang-Up Finale For 'The Sopranos'

By Tom Shales
Monday, June 11, 2007; Page C01

It may have been the greatest double-take -- by the audience -- in the history of American television.

Millions of viewers who might have thought something had gone wrong with their TV sets or cable systems last night were mistaken. When the picture vanished at the end, the very end, of "The Sopranos" and the screen went black, that was producer David Chase's unorthodox and arguably ingenious way of ending the series and dispatching the Soprano family to eternity.

Chase set up the audience to expect an assassination, perhaps of the whole Soprano family: Tony, Carmela, Anthony Jr. and Meadow, who were sitting in a nostalgically old-fashioned diner about to order dinner. Menacing strangers entered. One went into the men's room, a seeming reference to a famous shooting in "The Godfather" in which a gun was hidden in a water closet.

And then -- while Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" played on a vintage jukebox and the family members made everyday small talk -- the Sopranos disappeared. No shots were fired. Whether they all would have been killed in the next scene, or lived several more years, or even made it to old age, was not specified.

These great mythic characters, who have captivated HBO viewers for nearly a decade, are now suspended in space and the national imagination forever.

An attentive HBO executive who was watching the episode for the second time said the last image, of Tony's face, was seen just as the words "don't stop" were sung on the jukebox. The episode was littered with references to mortality -- life, death, even the Apocalypse in a poem by William Butler Yeats. Only Chase could mix Yeats with the theme from "The Twilight Zone" and Simon & Garfunkel's "Cecilia" played as a cellphone chime and make it all jell.

As always, "The Sopranos" was a catalogue of references from the mundane to the profound, but the finale was the biggest guessing game of all: Who would die, who would live? Fans of the show hoping to see the evil Phil Leotardo get his saw one of the grisliest deaths in the series:

After being shot in the head, Leotardo falls dead to a gas station driveway. The SUV from which he'd emerged proceeds to run over his skull, crushing it and causing his two little grandchildren in their car seats to feel a little bump. It was macabre and bizarre in a way that only "Sopranos" could bring off.

Throughout the episode, Chase paid farewell visits to many of the regular "Sopranos" haunts, including the Bada Bing Club ("the Bing" to its mob owners), Satriale's Pork Store, and the Soprano home once the family felt safe enough to move out of hiding and back into it. In the end, Tony's problem with the feuding mob boss Leotardo was solved with the help of an FBI agent, who could in his way have been as morally corrupt as Tony in his.

But "The Sopranos" was not judgmental. It could be maddeningly neutral and even amoral; Tony Soprano, so powerfully played by James Gandolfini, could be a vicious killer one moment and dear old daddy the next. He loomed a giant figure from the first episode to last night's blistering and shattering finale.

Even posthumous characters showed up or were mentioned last night. Tony's malicious mother is still in his thoughts: "I never could please my mother," Tony said sorrowfully to his son's new therapist. Tony's own therapist, in an unlikely turn of events, dropped him as a patient last week, but now Tony's very, very confused son is seeking a shrink of his own. So the torch is passed to a new generation.

At a mental hospital, Tony visited the notorious old Uncle Junior, who was once instructed by Tony's own mother to kill him and later, in the throes of dotage and Alzheimer's, shot Tony in the stomach. Uncle Junior, dazed and deluded, exists somewhere between the living and the dead.

And Tony's nephew Christopher, whose life Tony himself ended in a recent episode, returned as a photo on the wall that a stray cat for some reason stared at obsessively -- even when the photo was moved to another spot.

HBO has had greater success with "The Sopranos" than any premium cable network has ever had with any series -- not just in terms of audience size but in terms of inspiring conversations, arguments, discussions and re-viewings of episodes.

Wherever two or three are gathered around a water cooler this morning, "The Sopranos" is likely to be a subject of discussion.

It's a classic now, and one that will live on for years.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #249
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
The Feds had been closing in for many years. It just seemed a bit too much to speculate so soon. The Feds have always been on their tail since Altieri flipped, and years before that.

At that moment though, there was less suspicion of the Feds closing in, and more of a worry about the on going family war. Aliteri flipping, Pussy flipping, Bevilacqua murder, Fake Airline tickets, Johnny Sac arrest are all times I can think of when the Feds seemed to be a lot closer than this last episode.

I know where you're coming from, and I'm not saying I disagree necessarily. Just that it didn't jump out at me as being completely implausible.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #250
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I read this exact quote from the HBO boards. I love it when random people post shit they see and make it sound like they got the inside scoop...

I meant to insert th post I got this from:

hxxp://tv.com/the-sopranos/show/314/board/411/topics.html

Inside scoop? I'm just reading shit about the ending as other people are... chill

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote