Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #51
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Knowing Rust, probably nothing haha, he might just be fucking with the cops!

I was thinking the same thing. Books. Maybe a lawn mower. You wanted to see that shit so bad you got a warrant?

Hart's daughter turned out... yeah.

I was just reading that there will be another season, but it won't follow the same characters or story. If it's anywhere near as good as this they have me as a viewer again.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #52
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Knowing Rust, probably nothing haha, he might just be fucking with the cops!

I would bet the giant case of illegal weaponry is there if nothing else.

Can't wait to see the final 3 episodes, this has been great to watch.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #53
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm not sold on undercover, but still investigating off-book? I could see that. The cops did also mention the reverend? dying from "mixed medications" in 2010 with an implication that someone may have tampered with them.

I too think that Marty's family is going to come back into play here - "All the signs were right in front of me, I just wasn't looking" - his daughter's drawing and doll-play, turning into Captain of the Varsity Slut team. Wouldn't surprise me if the Father-in-law was part of it - no one with bags that big under his eyes isn't evil haha.

Poor choice of words on my part. Off-book investigating is what i meant, not quite undercover.

There's gotta some sort of cover up/connection with the task force from episode 1. I'm now predicting this is gonna go in a way we haven't comprehended yet!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #54
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
I'm hearing the "Rust is still undercover" theory a lot. If there is some massive ring of satanic child killings going on and Rust has been undercover trying to crack it for 8 years, that means he's close to several of the major players involved.

Why would he just sit idly by and let the killings continue for 8 years? He had no problem w/ Marty blasting Ledoux then fixing a nice cover-up. Why wouldn't Rust kill off some of the folks involved with whatever is happening and hope that that would break the ring?

I can't see Rust just standing pat as more people get killed simply because he's working undercover. And if he's been undercover for 8 years, that means he's made enough progress to know some the key folks involved and would have acted accordingly by now.

Anyway, I'm sure the show will go in an entirely different direction, but I don't see Rust being undercover as much of a possibility.

Great points, knowing what we know, if he spent those 8 years investigating, and actually found stuff out, uncovered secrets, he does seem like the type to just end it with a bullet.

Man, i just don't know....and i love it!
TML
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #55
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Books. Maybe a lawn mower. You wanted to see that shit so bad you got a warrant?

Hart's daughter turned out... yeah.

I was just reading that there will be another season, but it won't follow the same characters or story. If it's anywhere near as good as this they have me as a viewer again.

Me and a buddy were throwing out names for season 2. At this point, with who they got for season 1, there really isn't anyone off limits. There's no long term commitment, the material is amazing. Cast must be A-list!
TML
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #56
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I've strongly suspected something about the guy from one of the early episodes, Billy Lee Tuttle.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #57
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I think the current detectives said Tuttle died from a medication mixup.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #58
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

For those interested, I read both:

Between Here and the Yellow Sea
and
Galveston

I enjoyed both and think he is an excellent writer. The first is a series of short stories, and were really enjoyable.

I also read where many of Rusts' philosophy comes from, sometimes word for word in:
The Conspiracy against the Human Race: A Contrivance of Horror
by Thomas Ligotti

It is some of the darkest stuff I have ever read.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #59
Drake
assmaster

Well, at least now we know why Cohle and Hart had their falling out in 2002.

...which might be the first time I *wasn'* surprised by a plot twist on this show.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #60
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
...which might be the first time I *wasn'* surprised by a plot twist on this show.

Yeah I think it would have been surprising if it was something else other than that. Decent episode, but probably the weakest one so far (being the weakest out of this bunch isn't really that bad, mind you, I just feel like everything that happened in this one was pretty easy to guess, but needed to be seen to move forward), but it moved some pieces forward for what is hopefully a well executed ending.

The one confession Rust got was pretty spectacular tonight, and his suggestion to her as they wrapped up was pretty chilling (and very likely good advice).
Old 02-24-2014, 02:45 AM   #61
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
... and his suggestion to her as they wrapped up was pretty chilling (and very likely good advice).

Um... yeah.

The only thing I actually don't like about this show is the opening theme. Skip it every time.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 AM   #62
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"I caught zero logic in all that. That last part? Pure gibberish."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #63
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
"The King in Yellow" is a book of short stories by Robert W. Chambers from 1895. Some of the short stories in that book are about a mysterious play called "The King in Yellow." In the stories about it, there are only hints at the content of the play but when a character reads it he or she is driven insane with visions of a King in Yellow. The play talks about a mysterious city called Carcosa. You never really know what the play is about. It's only hinted at.

Permeating each of the short stories is the dread of un-seeable and un-knowable terror. By reading “The King in Yellow,” a person glimpses some unspeakable truth behind existence, one that the human mind can’t process. It really feels, for all intents and purposes, that McConaughey's character is already there.

"The King In Yellow" was referenced by H.P. Lovecraft in some of his writings and his become a part of the whole Cthulhu Mythos.

If you're an Amazon Prime member and have a Kindle, I believe original "King In Yellow" book is a free download. At least it was.

Very excited to see a TV show touching on the Cthulhu mythos in a way. This was a good article going into some detail about it:
The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective
Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #64
APC
Mascot

After last night's episode, Cohle is back on my radar as possibly being the Yellow King. A couple of reasons:

*The girl he visited in the "hospital" absolutely freaked out once she looked into his eyes. Perhaps she recognized him?
* In the preview snippet for next week's episode, it looks like Cohle has a drawing of some crazy looking bearded guy as the possible killer. It seems too far-fetched that this "deep" of a show would just wind up with a hunt for a random crazy bearded guy.
* Remember Cohle's rants about how awful this world is? Perhaps Cohle killing children is his way of "saving" them.

I still don't think Cohle will end up being the killer, but it's more plausible now than it was after last week's episode.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
After last night's episode, Cohle is back on my radar as possibly being the Yellow King. A couple of reasons:

*The girl he visited in the "hospital" absolutely freaked out once she looked into his eyes. Perhaps she recognized him?
* In the preview snippet for next week's episode, it looks like Cohle has a drawing of some crazy looking bearded guy as the possible killer. It seems too far-fetched that this "deep" of a show would just wind up with a hunt for a random crazy bearded guy.
* Remember Cohle's rants about how awful this world is? Perhaps Cohle killing children is his way of "saving" them.

I still don't think Cohle will end up being the killer, but it's more plausible now than it was after last week's episode.

I don't watch the "preview snippets", but I do know that they've had a "drawing of some crazy looking bearded guy" since like the second episode or such. It was a sketch of the man - the spaghetti-faced monster - who chased that Fontinou (Fateneaux?) girl, who went missing, through the forest.

If that's the drawing that was in the snippet, then it's not new.

Based on this most recent episode, I think it's pretty clear that Cohle isn't the killer.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #66
APC
Mascot

Quote:
I don't watch the "preview snippets", but I do know that they've had a "drawing of some crazy looking bearded guy" since like the second episode or such. It was a sketch of the man - the spaghetti-faced monster - who chased that Fontinou (Fateneaux?) girl, who went missing, through the forest.

If that's the drawing that was in the snippet, then it's not new.

Why am I not remembering this....?

Probably because episode 2 was the episode where Alexandra Daddario showed off her talents
Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #67
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I love this idea, however that would be one of the most shocking/disturbing moments in tv history.even with mcconaughey's transformation this year, i think that's too much for him.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #68
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
"I caught zero logic in all that. That last part? Pure gibberish."

That was hilarious. McConaughey got done with his rant and I was getting ready to rewind because I lost him about halfway through and then Woody said exactly what I was thinking.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This show is fantastic week after week.

The girl from Banshee sure likes to show off her naked body.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #70
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I love this idea, however that would be one of the most shocking/disturbing moments in tv history.even with mcconaughey's transformation this year, i think that's too much for him.
I'm with HB on this - even without using previews from next week it or anything the writer has implied I would be completely shocked if Cohle was the killer. Now, killing Tuttle in 2010 and possibly others connected to the cult... yeah he did that shit. (Although last week I would've sworn the preacher was involved too.) I'm liking the theory that there are 5 Yellow Kings - the picture of Dora Lange surrounded by 5 men on horseback, Woody's daughter playing with the dolls and surrounding the naked girl with 5 men, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The girl from Banshee sure likes to show off her naked body.
I feel like Banshee's been quietly getting good reviews from everyone who watches it... but you'll probably have more people check it out thanks to that connection than a year of word of mouth buzz (Not too too many though - it is still on Cinemax.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #71
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like the Tuttle murder could be easily explained next week at the bar when McCougany says "Remember whne you got pissed off and killed that guy after what you saw well..."
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #72
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

I just don't see it. Yeah, Cohle has a very dark view of the world, but he got in "trouble" because he blew away some junkie that was injection herion or meth or something into an infant. Between that and losing his own daughter, I think Cohle is pretty strictly in the anti-harming children camp.

I really don't think either Marty or Cohle are involved. I believe the show doesn't have quite as much going on in terms of "mythology" and "mystery" as many people would like to believe. I don't think it detracts from the show, but I think the show is a little more straight-forward.

The "Five Kings" idea is the most solid. Given Ledeaux's tattoo and the creepy "devil catching" sculptures at his place, I believe he was one of them. His partner may, or may not, have been another. But the girl said that there was the man with the burned face - the people at the revival tent saw a tall man with facial scars talking to Dora Lang - so, I think he's the "worst". Maybe he's the "Yellow King" or maybe Tuttle was the "Yellow King" and the tall man with the scarring was also involved.

It will be interesting to see.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #73
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... because hardly anyone is watching it?

It opened to high numbers for HBO, about 2.3 million viewers ... but promptly lost 30% of those by week two.

For some perspective on that, it's a smaller audience than reruns of Bob's Burgers got on Fox last night up against TWD/Olympics/Downtown Abbey/Beatles Tribute.

Or, for another comparison, it's about the same sized audience as the one drawn by TNA Impact.

Might be the greatest show in the history of shows but with an audience that small, it's hard to expect a whole lot of discussion to ensue.

An update on those numbers...

TV Ratings: HBO's 'True Detective' Is Averaging 10.9 Million Viewers

True Detective is proving to be a big hit over on HBO. The eight-episode anthology, which hit a first-run high on Sunday night, is averaging 10.9 million weekly viewers.

The gross average, which includes replays, HBO Go streams and On Demand plays, is fairly huge for freshman series on the pay cable network. (HBO's most-watched show, Game of Thrones, averaged just north of 13.6 million weekly viewers in its last season.)

First-run episodes have also improved for the series. The Feb. 23 episode pulled in 2.6 million viewers, eclipsing its 2.3-million premiere.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I feel like Banshee's been quietly getting good reviews from everyone who watches it... but you'll probably have more people check it out thanks to that connection than a year of word of mouth buzz (Not too too many though - it is still on Cinemax.)

You're probably right.. it's too bad because Banshee is excellent.

Between this, Banshee and Blacklist.. TV has been good to me lately.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #75
JediKooter
Coordinator

I finally saw an episode of this a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how good it was. From the production quality, the acting and the over all story. This show and the Walking Dead are really the only two episodic tv shows that I like.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #76
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

True Detective is proving to be a big hit over on HBO. The eight-episode anthology, which hit a first-run high on Sunday night, is averaging about 80% of what a first run episode of "Alf" used to.

The gross average, which includes replays, HBO Go streams and On Demand plays, is fairly huge for freshman series on the pay cable network. (HBO's most-watched show, Game of Thrones, averaged slightly more than failed Johnathan Winters sitcom "Davis Rules".)

First-run episodes have also improved for the series. The Feb. 23 episode pulled in 2.6 million viewers, slightly eclipsing the first run audience for "The Michael J. Fox Show".

Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #77
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

What do you call a black guy who flies a plane?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #78
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

It's not TV... It's HBO.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #79
Johnny93g
College Starter

1 more episode. Everything seems clear now.

I'm very close to saying this is the most enjoyable series I've ever seen.
TML
Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #80
APC
Mascot

"Hammered, but functional."
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #81
Jas_lov
College Starter

If you were drowning I'd throw you a barbell.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #82
chinaski
College Prospect

Ended with a Lungs by Townes Van Zandt. This show cant do anything more to win me over.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #83
Drake
assmaster

Thanks for that, chinaski. I really dug that song but missed the artist in the credits.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #84
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Marty's reason for leaving the force... yeah. That'll do it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #85
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Just a feeling, but I dont think Cohle gets out of this alive.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This might be the greatest series I've ever watched. I loved Oz, Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire, but this has been one hell of a series.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #87
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I sort of hope they Butch Cassidy and Sundance at the end. Rust wants death and Marty needs redemption. I have read all the books by the writer of the series, and he likes sad endings.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 AM   #88
whomario
Pro Starter

i kind of think that the writers tried a little too hard in the last 2 episodes. Seems a tad bit forced too have it get this political dimension and stuff. But i´m perfectly willing to be blown away by the last episode Overall i thought the series was brilliant, the 2 lead characters alone would have made for great TV. Music/Sound has been terrific throughout, imo a perfect example of how to use both score and songs. They don´t overshadow the pictures but rather mix with them extremely well.
The end of both episodes 3 (the monster speech, the brilliant score, the amazing shots of the property and Ledoux) and episode 4 (the long take at the end with the project and the action going on there) have been outstanding.

as an aside: I seriously needed half of the first episode to get over the fact that mcconaughey sort of looks like Abed from community in this
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #89
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
Just a feeling, but I dont think Cohle gets out of this alive.

I feel the same. I get the vibe like he knows this is it. Maybe this is what he is living for, given that he has nothing else to tie him to this earth.

FUCK EA
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #90
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
i kind of think that the writers tried a little too hard in the last 2 episodes. Seems a tad bit forced too have it get this political dimension and stuff.

I've felt like the Tuttles have been involved since the beginning, especially when they came in trying to flex their muscles early on trying to get Cohle off the case. I thought it was the reverend at first, but as was mentioned he died somehow.. But the family is apparently big enough and the secret is buried deep enough in the sea of familial blood that it has become a part of what they are.

The finale is going to be like a really good date with a really amazing woman, I won't want it to end. Excited to see how they tie it all up though.

FUCK EA
Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I've felt like the Tuttles have been involved since the beginning, especially when they came in trying to flex their muscles early on trying to get Cohle off the case. I thought it was the reverend at first, but as was mentioned he died somehow.. But the family is apparently big enough and the secret is buried deep enough in the sea of familial blood that it has become a part of what they are.

The finale is going to be like a really good date with a really amazing woman, I won't want it to end. Excited to see how they tie it all up though.

They have. I re-watched the first five episodes with Lady H_B last week. Knowing what I did, the Tuttle connection is really clear. It's been there from the beginning, I think folks just got excited with all of the other possibly theories and what not and it got a bit clouded.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #92
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
They have. I re-watched the first five episodes with Lady H_B last week. Knowing what I did, the Tuttle connection is really clear. It's been there from the beginning, I think folks just got excited with all of the other possibly theories and what not and it got a bit clouded.

I think that's a sign of good writing, being able to lay it out there right from the outset and still have people unsure at the end.

FUCK EA
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #93
Drake
assmaster

Reminds me of the fact that Marty has mentioned the Detective's Curse on two separate occasions. The facts are right in front of you, but you're looking at the wrong details.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

At this point, I think a lot is largely settled. The one lingering question that I do have is how Marty's daughter, Audrey, is involved. Between her organizing her dolls in that rape circle and her sexual drawings, it seems pretty clear that she's been exposed to something troubling. How did it happen? Is Maggie's father part of the "group of rich men"? One of Marty's cop friends?

Certainly this is something that will need to be resolved, or those scenes are just weird, random and misleading.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-07-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #95
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Didn't see the show at first but watched it On Demand over a couple day period while being sick. What day does it come one normally? I hate that I now have to wait for another show.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #96
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Didn't see the show at first but watched it On Demand over a couple day period while being sick. What day does it come one normally? I hate that I now have to wait for another show.

season finale is Sunday night. Its only an 8 episode season.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #97
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
season finale is Sunday night. Its only an 8 episode season.

Cool, I don't have to wait too long.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #99
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Reminds me of the fact that Marty has mentioned the Detective's Curse on two separate occasions. The facts are right in front of you, but you're looking at the wrong details.

Brilliant, I forgot about this, but now that you mention it, he kept bringing it up. I will be going through withdrawal on Monday.

Gut feeling, Rust lives, Marty dies.
TML
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #100
nol
Banned

Interesting theory I saw the other day.

nol is offline   Reply With Quote