Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #101
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You think we got jobbed on Cole? Nah, watch this mothafuckas!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #102
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Pirates are going full rebuild. They traded McCutchen to the Giants.

offs, now I have to hate him. That sucks for me. I always hoped he show up in blue.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #103
JPhillips
General Manager

With all the teams looking to stay under the penalty, there are going to be some good free agent bargains. I'd love the Reds to throw some of that 50 million windfall into a couple of free agents.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #104
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've gotta say, with what little they had to work with, the front office for the Giants have done a pretty great job of improving the team without blowing up the budget or the farm system.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #105
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I've gotta say, with what little they had to work with, the front office for the Giants have done a pretty great job of improving the team without blowing up the budget or the farm system.

Longoria & McCutchen are upgrades for the Giants to be sure, but adding a couple of clearly-regressing players feels a bit like rearranging the deck chairs.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 01-16-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #106
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I believe both are projected for a combined 6 wins this season, and are replacing players who had literally negative WAR last year. They are legit upgrades, even if the players are not what they once were.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:24 AM   #107
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I believe both are projected for a combined 6 wins this season, and are replacing players who had literally negative WAR last year. They are legit upgrades, even if the players are not what they once were.

So...70 wins incoming?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #108
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm not saying they're world beaters, but literally (real literally, not stupid internet chicanery literally) every single player on the team underperformed their ZiPs projections last year, most significantly so. Plus they were missing their best SP for half the season. There's reason to believe all of the following things:
  • The talent on the team is (significantly) better than their record last season would indicate.
  • There have been significant improvements to multiple positions over the players that you would not expect to outperform 2017's output.
  • The best pitcher on the team is unlikely to have another multiple month injury.
  • With the money that came back in the McCutchen deal, the Giants could still go out and get a defense-first CF and put Cutch in LF.

Currently, as constructed, the Giants project 22.9 WAR out of their position players, compared to 14 last year. If they simply play as expected, that's 9 extra wins. That puts them firmly in the mid-to-high 70's for win total*, not including any improvement out of the pitching staff or bench. With any kind of breakout performance, be it by a rookie (Stephen Duggar, CF prospect?), a resurgent Johnny Cueto, a full season of Madison Bumgarner, or simply better outfield defense helping keep Samardzija's flyballs outs rather than hits, they're in the conversation for a playoff spot.

Do I believe all that is going to happen? Absolutely not. But the front office is doing everything they can to take one last stab at this thing before they really need to blow it all up. And when your other option is to trade away players that are good-not-great, old, or coming off injury plagued years, you're not going to get much return for them anyway.

I think they've done the absolute best they could with the hand they had. Considering they dealt that hand to themselves...maybe there's cause for worry. But they're trying.

*Fudging a little here by using their Pythagorean Record because holy shit 2017 was awful. Also, Grant Brisbee gets credit for most of the work on those WAR numbers.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-16-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #109
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think the NL has too many top end teams for the Giants to nab a playoff spot but I agree they aren't as bad as they were last year, and they do have more talent now. They'll be in it into September unless injuries take a toll again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #110
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Eh, when you look at it you've got three tiers:

1. Top: Dodgers, Cubs, Nationals
2. Tweener: Cardinals
3. Wild Card Contenders: Mets, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Brewers, Phillies (?)

I think the Cardinals are obviously better than the rest of the pack, but also a step below the crazy talent level of the top three. The Pirates would have been in that wild card contender tier, but they're obviously punting.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see the Giants challenging that bottom tier.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #111
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Yep, agree with most here. Best thing is they are not tied down to too many awful contracts after next year. This was a surprising good attempt at "going for one last shot" without giving up (limited) prospects and over signing. ]

Or, in other words, they did a great job of making the season ticket holders hopeful. Which for a nearly 100 loss team is pretty admirable.

But playoffs? nope
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #112
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Yep, agree with most here. Best thing is they are not tied down to too many awful contracts after next year. This was a surprising good attempt at "going for one last shot" without giving up (limited) prospects and over signing. ]

Or, in other words, they did a great job of making the season ticket holders hopeful. Which for a nearly 100 loss team is pretty admirable.

But playoffs? nope
There's always a team that overperforms. Last year it was the Diamondbacks, maybe it'll be the Giants this year. I mean, they've overperformed with an aging roster and heroic Bumgarner playoff performances before.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #113
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’m a little concerned that we could be heading for a nasty work stoppage after 2021 if things don’t correct themselves a bit. Too many teams are unwilling to spend and the big spenders now are wanting to stay under the luxury threshold due to harsh penalties. The situation has resulted in too many above average to good players without work.

Something will either need to give or I think it gets ugly.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-25-2018 at 11:42 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #114
Atocep
Coordinator

The only way to really correct it is to reduce the years of club control. Every front office is analytics based in some way now and they're just not willing to spend big money on average to above average talent that's likely headed into their decline years. You just don't see guys hitting free agency in their prime very often any more.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #115
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The only way to really correct it is to reduce the years of club control. Every front office is analytics based in some way now and they're just not willing to spend big money on average to above average talent that's likely headed into their decline years. You just don't see guys hitting free agency in their prime very often any more.

Which is exactly what I was thinking. I think we have a major fight over player control ahead of us.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #116
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
You just don't see guys hitting free agency in their prime very often any more.

Because players would rather sacrifice those first couple of years of free agency so they are only making about 40% of their actual worth instead of maybe 10% in some of those early years.

Bloodbath coming. What would teams want in return for losing a couple years of dirt cheap labor? Some kind of max salary? Or do you take the opposite approach...blow up the pay structure in those early years but actually allow teams to control players longer (at a higher salary)?

Last edited by Logan : 01-25-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #117
lungs
Pro Rookie

Brewers just gave up a haul for Christian Yelich.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #118
JPhillips
General Manager

And got Lorenzo Cain for 5/80

Damn
Old 01-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #119
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Brewers just got a helluva lot better, nice day for them.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #120
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm hearing Domingo Santana will be on the move for some pitching to top things off.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #121
JeeberD
General Manager

It's frustrating to think that we gave him and Phillips up for fucking Fiers and Gomez. At least Fiers did nicely when the entire rotation was injured in July, and threw that no hitter in 2015. But Gomez...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think it worked out for you just fine.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #123
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
It's frustrating to think that we gave him and Phillips up for fucking Fiers and Gomez. At least Fiers did nicely when the entire rotation was injured in July, and threw that no hitter in 2015. But Gomez...

Don't forget Josh Hader
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #124
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think it worked out for you just fine.

One isn't enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Don't forget Josh Hader

Dammit...yeah, Hader, too. You're trying to be Astros 2.0, with Villar and Nottingham on the club, too.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #125
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Dammit...yeah, Hader, too. You're trying to be Astros 2.0, with Villar and Nottingham on the club, too.

Conspiracy theory: Milwaukee GM David Stearns worked for the Astros when the Gomez/Fiers deal went down.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #126
Logan
Head Coach

Chief Wahoo logo will be gone for the 2019 season. So be sure to buy up all that racist shit already in stock before it's gone forever!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #127
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is there going to be a new logo? Seems like the name Indians should be gone as well?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Is there going to be a new logo? Seems like the name Indians should be gone as well?

Could go with a lovely snowflake, would be fitting.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #129
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Are the snowflakes the ones bothered by racist imagery or the ones whose lives will be so ruined by the removal of racist imagery? Help me out here.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #130
Logan
Head Coach

Old 01-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #131
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I wonder how long until the Blackhawks make a change.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #132
BYU 14
Coordinator

Actually kind of would be cool to bring back the Spiders nickname.

Of all the mascots in sports that fall into ethnic territory, Indians is really not that offensive. It was never really used in a derogatory fashion in society like Redskins, or even Chief(s) back in the day. I can see how Native Americans would get upset with the logo though, since it is a caricature.

In the end though, not for me to decide what should or should not offend someone who has a different perspective than me.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #133
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should definitely change their name to the IndianSpiders and have a racist sambo faced arachnid as their logo.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #134
JeeberD
General Manager

The Rangers are going for it all! They just signed Bartolo Colon to a (minor league) contract!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #135
molson
General Manager

I'm enjoying Scott Boras and Tony Clark melting down over teams learning not to offer stupid contracts in free agency.

Players have always tried to protect the veteran free agent at the expense of younger players, and that's kind of blown up in their face now that owners are figuring out not to pay for past performance. Younger players are underpaid, but the CBA doesn't really allow them to be paid what they're worth.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #136
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm enjoying Scott Boras and Tony Clark melting down over teams learning not to offer stupid contracts in free agency.

Players have always tried to protect the veteran free agent at the expense of younger players, and that's kind of blown up in their face now that owners are figuring out not to pay for past performance. Younger players are underpaid, but the CBA doesn't really allow them to be paid what they're worth.

Boras hasn't adapted the modern front office. Trying sell statistical analysts on the virtues of Eric Hosmer's leadership is a waste of time. 15 years ago he would have gotten whatever Boras asked for. This year he's probably back the Royals at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-06-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #137
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cubs finally light up the hot stove and sign Yu Darvish.

6-years, $126 mil, can escalate to $150 with incentives, Darvish has an opt-out after 2 years.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #138
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i truly deeply hate optouts, sign or dont, dont be wishy washy!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #139
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Cubs finally light up the hot stove and sign Yu Darvish.

6-years, $126 mil, can escalate to $150 with incentives, Darvish has an opt-out after 2 years.

And Dodger fans let out a collective sigh of relief. I don't think I'll ever forget and that stink will never go.

Like Steam?

Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
And Dodger fans let out a collective sigh of relief. I don't think I'll ever forget and that stink will never go.

Rob Parker has been sitting in on the lunch time radio show on the Dodgers local station and has been beating the drum for Darvish, and telling Dodger fans they are massively overreacting. He puts the Series loss on Kershaw.

I'm an Angels fan, so I don't have a real dog in the fight. I think Parker is a jackass and completely agree with you. One terrible outing in the Series is disheartening but not grounds for the negativity Yu has gotten. Two absolutely terrible outings? Including Game 7? Sorry, that's way beyond terrible. Dodgers are entirely right to not risk throwing such a big contract at a guy who did precisely the worst he could have done when they needed him the most.

I will say, though, that Kershaw also has to find some sack in the playoffs. If Darvish wasn't around, he would be getting a lot more sideways glances. The supposed GOAT shouldn't stop being that when the calendar rolls to October.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #141
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I don't understand how the Dodgers coaching staff never realized he was tipping his pitches. I would expect my coaching staff to be on top of that kind of stuff. Before he was tipping those pitches he had two pretty good playoff starts. Seems like a pretty club friendly contract to me as well, especially if Darvish opts out after two seasons. 21 million per is below the level he has produced in the past.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #142
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Rob Parker has been sitting in on the lunch time radio show on the Dodgers local station and has been beating the drum for Darvish, and telling Dodger fans they are massively overreacting. He puts the Series loss on Kershaw.

I'm an Angels fan, so I don't have a real dog in the fight. I think Parker is a jackass and completely agree with you. One terrible outing in the Series is disheartening but not grounds for the negativity Yu has gotten. Two absolutely terrible outings? Including Game 7? Sorry, that's way beyond terrible. Dodgers are entirely right to not risk throwing such a big contract at a guy who did precisely the worst he could have done when they needed him the most.

I will say, though, that Kershaw also has to find some sack in the playoffs. If Darvish wasn't around, he would be getting a lot more sideways glances. The supposed GOAT shouldn't stop being that when the calendar rolls to October.

Agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I don't understand how the Dodgers coaching staff never realized he was tipping his pitches. I would expect my coaching staff to be on top of that kind of stuff. Before he was tipping those pitches he had two pretty good playoff starts. Seems like a pretty club friendly contract to me as well, especially if Darvish opts out after two seasons. 21 million per is below the level he has produced in the past.

The funny thing is the staff has brought other pitchers in and done this exact thing when they were tipping. So you're right. Seems odd, especially how he had been dominating late and in the playoffs.

Like Steam?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Esteban Loaiza, former MLB pitcher, arrested with over 20 kilograms of drugs
Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #144
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #145
Atocep
Coordinator

So Loria claims he took a loss on the sale of a team he acquired for $158 million and sold for $1.2 billion.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #146
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Its so hard for a billionaire just to give up 60 million to a community that made him a billionaire in the first place. Greedy POS. Sounds like he actually only paid 30 million to purchase the Marlins and not the 158 million as reported. Some interesting accounting to claim a loss on that sale.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #147
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I hate his overall team building approach, but good on Dave Dombrowski for holding the line and getting JD Martinez at 5/$110m. Front loaded, and with opt outs after 2 years, but even if it's just a 2/$50m deal that means he played well, and if things do go wrong it's down to 3/$60m instead of some long term or $30m+ per year albatross.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-20-2018 at 07:12 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Loria claims he took a loss on the sale of a team he acquired for $158 million and sold for $1.2 billion.

The devil is in the details. Miami negotiated for 5% of "net profit", not "gross profit", meaning their 5% is based on the transaction minus certain allowable expenses. The key one being "less the value of the team", which wipes out most of the perceived "profit". I'm thinking the city didn't exactly have the sharpest tools in the shed negotiating this thing.

I think this article actually does a pretty good job of showing how Loria's claims might be plausible (depending upon the eventual valuation decision) under the terms of the agreement

How can Loria claim no profits from $1.2 billion Marlins sale? | Miami Herald
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #149
Logan
Head Coach

A city being taken to the woodshed in a negotiation with a franchise owner?! No way.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #150
JPhillips
General Manager

Jonathan Martin taken into custody and LA school locked down after threatening Instagram post.

https://deadspin.com/jonathan-martin...-in-1823275206