Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #151
hoopsguy
General Manager

Brian, what is the right answer to this one? If I say it wasn't part of my code, then I'm lying to protect my membership, right?

That said, it was not part of my code. If it was part of someone's code today, they will probably be able to verify tomorrow that I'm not part of their faction. But if that is indeed a key part of one faction's code their leader should look for something a little tougher to pick out tomorrow.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #152
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
Ok, so Hoopsguy believes that ellipses were the code for a faction, I get that.
Blade used the ellipses.
now I still don't understand the Anxiety thing.
Also, is hoops' point that Blade was using the ellipses incorrectly?
Also, why jail Blade, why not execute him if you think he is a baddie?

I'm still trying to understand everything. Because of my history with Blade, I really want to make sure I have a good reason before voting him to jail or death the first day.

You can't execute someone who isn't in jail.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #153
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

hoops, that seems quite a reach. Looking back at the posts, in your very first post on the new day, you used an ellipsis. But you are saying now that that is NOT a sign for your faction.

BrianD's response was odd in that he asked why the thread was so slow just an hour or so into things. It might have been just another check in post, or maybe he was trying to find an excuse to get a post in to get his ellipsis in.

Or it might have been nothing at all, and the ellipsis means nothing.

And if you aren't claiming the ellipsis as your own faction's signal, how do you know Blade and BrianD aren't on the same team but unknownst to each other? I have reason to believe there are at least three members to each faction (based on my simple math). What if neither Blade or Briad are their faction's leader? They would then know the leader but not each other. And an ellipsis isn't enough right now for Brian to throw out protection for Blade.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #154
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
WVU, I really do not think today is an exercise in futility.

From Post #124:

You have a point in that there's people you know are safe, and hense won't vote to jail or kill them, but otherwise, it's honestly a crapshoot, even you have to admit that. The nature of this game will make votes have meaning quicker, but not the first round.

In other words, I'm picking your name out of a virtual hat, not because I necessarily think you're an Assassin.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #155
hoopsguy
General Manager

Real, let me expand a little on your post:

Blade was a long way from the first person to include an ellipsis in his post. The first person posting in line with a code is near-cleared for me. Every person who follows is a little more suspect.

The Anxiety thing - Brian was asking me about Blade. Earlier, I had thought he might be part of a faction with Anxiety based on logic besides the ellipsis - I had not yet classified Brian. One of my posts had an ellipsis in it, but I'm not a member of that faction so I figured the same could be true of Brian.

So, I figured that BrianD believes he is aligned with either Blade or Anxiety. I figured I would give him an option of indicating which one he trusted - if he picked Blade then I would unvote Blade. But it was not meant as an either/or for my vote with regards to Anxiety.

I thought we had to jail first, then execute in this version of the game. I'll double-check the rules on this.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeal View Post
Ok, so Hoopsguy believes that ellipses were the code for a faction, I get that.
Blade used the ellipses.
now I still don't understand the Anxiety thing.
Also, is hoops' point that Blade was using the ellipses incorrectly?
Also, why jail Blade, why not execute him if you think he is a baddie?

I'm still trying to understand everything. Because of my history with Blade, I really want to make sure I have a good reason before voting him to jail or death the first day.

Ditto on the Anxiety thing, too, REal DEal.

hoops can you explain that one?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #157
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Brian, what is the right answer to this one? If I say it wasn't part of my code, then I'm lying to protect my membership, right?

That said, it was not part of my code. If it was part of someone's code today, they will probably be able to verify tomorrow that I'm not part of their faction. But if that is indeed a key part of one faction's code their leader should look for something a little tougher to pick out tomorrow.

There really isn't a right or wrong answer. The ellipses could be part of a code, but I'm going to guess it wasn't. The tricky part of using codes in messages is that you have to come up with something people wouldn't do accidentally, or in normal conversation. Lots of people use ellipses, so that wouldn't work so well as a code. It is true that there have been at least three variations so far today (words connected by 3 dots, words connected by 3 dots and a space, words connected by a space followed by 3 dots followed by a space), but that is still a dangerous thing to use since it is easy for people to use them without realizing it was a code.

Out of curiosity, was I the first around here to use a code system a few games back? I'm wondering if I opened Pandora's Box with that one? I made the system fairly elaborate to prevent accidental inclusion...which is very easy to have happen.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh hoops responded about ANxiety while I posted.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #159
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So, I figured that BrianD believes he is aligned with either Blade or Anxiety. I figured I would give him an option of indicating which one he trusted - if he picked Blade then I would unvote Blade. But it was not meant as an either/or for my vote with regards to Anxiety.

I don't know if I said this specifially before, but I have no reason to believe that I am in a faction with Blade or Anxiety. It is possible that I am, but I have no reason to believe that I am.

As far as the ellipses go...I use them a lot. I'm probably going to use them more now because it has become fun.

Quote:
I thought we had to jail first, then execute in this version of the game. I'll double-check the rules on this.

That is my understanding too.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #160
WVUFAN
College Starter

-.-. --- -.. . ... / .- .-. . / ..-. ..- -. / ..--.. /

Old 09-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #161
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let me come at this from another direction, Brian:

If you had to pick one person to defend at this point, would you go with Blade or Anxiety? We don't have a lot of posts from either of them yet ... but with the information we currently have I think Blade is making a play.
In fairness to Blade, he's always making a play.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #162
hoopsguy
General Manager

Chief, I would agree it is a reach. I'm not saying I have drop-dead proof of Blade as a bad guy here. But it is a Day 1 theory and I ran with it. And I reserve the right to change my mind, depending on how much resistance I run into from other participants.

At the very least, I am trying to maximize the game rather than sitting back and saying "Day 1 is random" and throwing virtual darts for my vote.

As far as protecting a suspected teammate, I would definitely do it if I felt, based on their posts, that they part of my faction. If BrianD felt like Blade was a teammate, then he should try to help him even if he isn't 100% sure. If BrianD felt that Blade was his teammate because of an ellipsis, then I'm telling him to make sure it is legit.

Keep in mind that I was the first person to post today using an ellipsis:

Post #85 by Hoopsguy 7:26AM (CST)
Post #87 by BrianD 8:58AM (CST)
Post #97 by Dodgerchick with a couple of them
Post #98 by Blade

I put the vote out there at #100.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #163
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

Not really.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #164
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

... I... don't...understand...why... using...ellipses...would...be...a...good...code...

(Ellipses ARE fun!)
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #165
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
There really isn't a right or wrong answer. The ellipses could be part of a code, but I'm going to guess it wasn't. The tricky part of using codes in messages is that you have to come up with something people wouldn't do accidentally, or in normal conversation. Lots of people use ellipses, so that wouldn't work so well as a code. It is true that there have been at least three variations so far today (words connected by 3 dots, words connected by 3 dots and a space, words connected by a space followed by 3 dots followed by a space), but that is still a dangerous thing to use since it is easy for people to use them without realizing it was a code.

Out of curiosity, was I the first around here to use a code system a few games back? I'm wondering if I opened Pandora's Box with that one? I made the system fairly elaborate to prevent accidental inclusion...which is very easy to have happen.

I came back to a fun discussion i see...2 things for now:

First of all, i didnt even know that dash was an elipse until you said it. It is not a code im trying to crack, it is merely how i express a random number in between two points.

Secondly, codes have been used before that many times. I believe WVUfan and i had an very complex code awhile ago that no one even even know we used(never mentioned it until right now) during one game. They key was we made it soo complex no one would accidently use it, but not too complex where it seems out of the ordinary. As well, it had to be too tough to crack as a bad guy, but not too hard for ourselves to use it in normal conversation. Elipses, to me, are far too likely to be used in conversation by random players. I know what my faction leader sent me in the message, and it had nothing to do with elipses.

Hoops, i just wanted to point out you picked two of the more experienced players and tried to make them the only two options on day 1. Usually when your bad you like to present ideas but vote as a follower on day one. So im leaning towards you being good right now. So work with me a little here, as as i did for you last game with my distrust
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #166
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Really stupid question here, but what exactly is "checking in"? Is it, "noble checking in", or something similar to that? Or is it simply posting in the thread?
"Checking in" is basically an acknowledgement that you've received your role, whatever it may be. Most people make a fluff post claiming to be whatever the "red shirt" is in the game (nobles here), which is pretty pointless because we all know that some are lying.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #167
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Hoops, I admire the vigor. I don't know that I am coming with you on this one, but I applaud the effort.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #168
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Chief, I would agree it is a reach. I'm not saying I have drop-dead proof of Blade as a bad guy here. But it is a Day 1 theory and I ran with it. And I reserve the right to change my mind, depending on how much resistance I run into from other participants.

At the very least, I am trying to maximize the game rather than sitting back and saying "Day 1 is random" and throwing virtual darts for my vote.

As far as protecting a suspected teammate, I would definitely do it if I felt, based on their posts, that they part of my faction. If BrianD felt like Blade was a teammate, then he should try to help him even if he isn't 100% sure. If BrianD felt that Blade was his teammate because of an ellipsis, then I'm telling him to make sure it is legit.

Post #98 by Blade

Hoops, first of all i view this more as you trying to eliminate rival factions then assasins. I figure you think if i am bad, bonus. If not, im still not in your faction. From what you have said im fairly certain were not in the same faction, which is fine. But im good, and jailing me will only delay your own factions crowning due to points lost(esp. since you cast the first vote)
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #169
Blade6119
Coordinator

And i have a VERY HARD time believing you are truly going to reveal your other faction members this early in the game, especially that you know the role of one, when your faction is your key to victory. So i have a hard time believing your claims about the code(which you hint at in your post # comments), and your claims that you will reveal your freinds tomorrow.
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #170
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm not planning on giving out my own faction clue, nor any others that I think might be in play at the moment. But I have a couple of indicators that I'm pretty convinced are "faction tells" that I'm using to start my safe list today. Heck, one of them that I'm less sure on may pertain to Blade as well ...

Chief (and WVU), voting for me is not going to help your faction today. I know that you would expect that response from me no matter what side I'm playing on, but consider that I posted very early today and that my first post does in fact contain my faction code (no, not an ellipsis). That would be challenging to fake as an assassin.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #171
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can I guess? Was it...the ellipses?

Quote:
Chief, Brian already posted it ... see Post #140.

That's an... interesting... choice as a code, considering that some people (myself included) will tend to use ellipses while musing. I'd tend to think that I've done it on day 1 in the past, though I'm not sure.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #172
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
And i have a VERY HARD time believing you are truly going to reveal your other faction members this early in the game, especially that you know the role of one, when your faction is your key to victory. So i have a hard time believing your claims about the code(which you hint at in your post # comments), and your claims that you will reveal your freinds tomorrow.

If he knows the identity of one of his faction members, maybe we should be scouring his posts to see if there is anything matching anyone else. I believe he and Chief Rum were the only ones to use a space-3dot-space ellipse. Maybe the current vote for Hoops is meant to throw people off after a later switch.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #173
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not planning on giving out my own faction clue, nor any others that I think might be in play at the moment. But I have a couple of indicators that I'm pretty convinced are "faction tells" that I'm using to start my safe list today. Heck, one of them that I'm less sure on may pertain to Blade as well ...

Chief (and WVU), voting for me is not going to help your faction today. I know that you would expect that response from me no matter what side I'm playing on, but consider that I posted very early today and that my first post does in fact contain my faction code (no, not an ellipsis). That would be challenging to fake as an assassin.

SO you want me to believe you are too poor of a player to make such a ploy? I think highly of you hoops, you know that. Trying to say it would be too difficult to fake is not something ill buy from you
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #174
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not planning on giving out my own faction clue, nor any others that I think might be in play at the moment.

So what was the WHOLE deal with the elipses, the major reason you voted for me...or this post where you refer to yourself using the elipse?
Quote:

Post #98 by Blade

Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #175
hoopsguy
General Manager

Blade, I have expressly said I won't reveal my own code. But if I saw one of my faction members in trouble I would back them indirectly/directly to try and keep them out of jail.

As far as complex codes, the short message (12 words) does make it a little more difficult.

Blade, I'll work through this with you if you have any other theories to present. I think since the time I first posted the vote I said that I was willing to move it if someone came up with a good reason to not have it there.

Personally, I'm satisfied to have gotten some real Day 1 conversation flowing, although not too excited about attracting two votes in the process.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #176
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Blade, I have expressly said I won't reveal my own code. But if I saw one of my faction members in trouble I would back them indirectly/directly to try and keep them out of jail.

As far as complex codes, the short message (12 words) does make it a little more difficult.

Blade, I'll work through this with you if you have any other theories to present. I think since the time I first posted the vote I said that I was willing to move it if someone came up with a good reason to not have it there.

Personally, I'm satisfied to have gotten some real Day 1 conversation flowing, although not too excited about attracting two votes in the process.

While i do agree with you trying to get people to reveal information, you also know my views on that topic. I think it is far too early in the game for me to be telling you information that may allow bad guys to get in our groups or to kill my fellow faction members. You claimed a code, claimed i tried to latch onto it, then said you wont reveal your code or anyone elses you even suspect. And now you want me to give you ideas of what clues i see. Im sorry hoops, those chain of events do not look beneficial to the good cause.

VOTE JAIL HOOPSGUY
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #177
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:

The code system was originally used in Barkeep's previous game, for exactly the same purpose Hoops is suggesting here -- for faction members to identify themselves to one another and to the leader. I would presume that it's something Barkeep planned for in setting this one up.

The benefit is that you have an early "circle of trust". The hazard is that if you lose a fast-talker, they've cracked your circle.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #178
hoopsguy
General Manager

Blade, here is how I saw the chain of events prior to the vote:

1. You are in thread
2. You are not posting in thread for awhile - catching up on events
3. You drop a quick post and are out for a few hours
4. The post contains the ellipsis that I have seen as a recurring theme in posts today

Is the ellipsis really an indicator for a faction? Who knows - it isn't really important. What is important, as far as my theory goes, is that you saw multiple people incorporate them into short early-morning posts. So you looked at this as an opportunity to align yourself with a faction.

I guarantee that would be my play as a bad guy in this game. I think you are cagey enough to do the same - I'm pulling the Blade "compliment you as I vote for you" trick here

Again, if/when someone comes with an alternate theory that doesn't involve jailing me, I'm willing to listen. So far I have not heard one ...
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #179
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

If it's hoops vs. blade, for today I'm going to side with hoops.

VOTE JAIL Blade6119

Old 09-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #180
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
And, a separate conversation piece - the following people have not posted since the start of Day 1:

Qwikshot
Lonestargirl
Bulletsponge
Bek
Greyroofoo
St. Cronin
Kingfc22
Chief Rum
WVUFan

i just got home from work, and im reading all the nutty paranioa
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #181
hoopsguy
General Manager

Blade, I'm not sure I understand how I'm asking for information that may kill your fellow faction members. The assassins are going to try and kill people who are directly threatening them or who are on a team that is accumulating points too quickly (these are likely to coincide). If your team is going down the wrong path - you know, like voting for me - then you are not going to be accumulating points or threatening the assassins.

I'm willing to put out other theories on potential "noble tells" but I would find it interesting to see if anyone else has found anything at all up to this point. I've got four other possibilities (not including my own faction) for those tells and it would be reassuring to me to see someone independently validate one of them.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #182
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

that says you watch gay porn while washing the dog.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #183
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Blade, here is how I saw the chain of events prior to the vote:

1. You are in thread
2. You are not posting in thread for awhile - catching up on events
3. You drop a quick post and are out for a few hours
4. The post contains the ellipsis that I have seen as a recurring theme in posts today

Is the ellipsis really an indicator for a faction? Who knows - it isn't really important. What is important, as far as my theory goes, is that you saw multiple people incorporate them into short early-morning posts. So you looked at this as an opportunity to align yourself with a faction.

I guarantee that would be my play as a bad guy in this game. I think you are cagey enough to do the same - I'm pulling the Blade "compliment you as I vote for you" trick here

Again, if/when someone comes with an alternate theory that doesn't involve jailing me, I'm willing to listen. So far I have not heard one ...
I know of 2 things today:
1.My leader and his message
2.You voting for me and calling me a bad guy

I will not discuss #1, no matter what...it is far too early in the game for that. #2, well i dont know how to respond to it really. I dont think your bad, but im not going to let myself be jailed on day one. You have presented no alternative to me getting lynched, so i must vote you. I hope you reconsider, as i dont think either outcome is beneficial for the villagers, but im prepared to take you on if need be to surive.

Oh, and -------------------------
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #184
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Blade, I'm not sure I understand how I'm asking for information that may kill your fellow faction members. The assassins are going to try and kill people who are directly threatening them or who are on a team that is accumulating points too quickly (these are likely to coincide). If your team is going down the wrong path - you know, like voting for me - then you are not going to be accumulating points or threatening the assassins.

I'm willing to put out other theories on potential "noble tells" but I would find it interesting to see if anyone else has found anything at all up to this point. I've got four other possibilities (not including my own faction) for those tells and it would be reassuring to me to see someone independently validate one of them.

Like i said, i have one fact and that is who my leader is and what message he sent out. I have ideas off that fact, but any of them reveal or hint strongly at what the message was. I am not willing to compromise my fellow faction members just to give you food for thought.

Your asking me for theories, and i have one. That one is fact, and i will not share it. Are you asking me to try and find codes in other posts that might reveal other factions? I just think thats bad news. As for finding assasins, im not sure of the best course this early in the game. But i dont believe your current idea if i understand you properly is the best route.
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #185
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Good Guy Checking in

And continuing to catch up....

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #186
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know of 2 things today:
1.My leader and his message
2.You voting for me and calling me a bad guy

I will not discuss #1, no matter what...it is far too early in the game for that. #2, well i dont know how to respond to it really. I dont think your bad, but im not going to let myself be jailed on day one. You have presented no alternative to me getting lynched, so i must vote you. I hope you reconsider, as i dont think either outcome is beneficial for the villagers, but im prepared to take you on if need be to surive.

Oh, and -------------------------

people vote for you because your Blade, thats why. i for one like to keep you around because your good for 1 crazy moment each game. at least 1. i will vote for someone whom hasnt posted by tonight, i think we should put heat on nonposters
Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #187
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
The code system was originally used in Barkeep's previous game, for exactly the same purpose Hoops is suggesting here -- for faction members to identify themselves to one another and to the leader. I would presume that it's something Barkeep planned for in setting this one up.

The benefit is that you have an early "circle of trust". The hazard is that if you lose a fast-talker, they've cracked your circle.

Bummer. I'm not as cool as I thought I was.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #188
st.cronin
General Manager

Well ... this is interesting. And, strangely enough, day 1 is unfolding exactly the same way for me as in the last game hosted by Barkeep. Which, as I posted above, was a game I was completely bewildered by. I don't expect I'll be much help to anybody this game. I don't think I agree with hoops analysis yet, but I don't exactly DISagree, either, so I'll go in a different direction.

JAIL LONESTARGIRL

Nothing to go on, except as far as I can tell she's not in my faction. Whatever that means.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #189
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
that says you watch gay porn while washing the dog.

Yeah, but only if I'm washing a St Bernard. Otherwise the gay porn has no meaning.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #190
hoopsguy
General Manager

For what it is worth, I'm fine with a 1 vs 1 showdown with Blade under these rules. Loser get jail. When the points come out, if the totals are all negative then both Blade and I are essentially cleared. We lose a day in the process but two strong voices are added to the good guy list and it makes the decision process more challenging for the assassins going forward.

If someone knows that Blade is a member of their faction, based upon his posts, then I would love it if they would step forward to help avoid a noble vs noble showdown. But without that knowledge, I'm just fine being in any kind of 1 on 1 showdown, preferably with a tricky/good player that I already suspect.

I'm not a noble leader, I don't have any special role/powers that I know of, so the only thing I can bring to the game is my perspective. If having a run-off with Blade helps preserve special roles for a night, that is cool. I want my faction to win, but more importantly I want to see us take down the assassins and we will definitely learn something from a showdown today.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:12 PM   #191
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For what it is worth, I'm fine with a 1 vs 1 showdown with Blade under these rules. Loser get jail. When the points come out, if the totals are all negative then both Blade and I are essentially cleared. We lose a day in the process but two strong voices are added to the good guy list and it makes the decision process more challenging for the assassins going forward.

I don't believe it works this way. Points don't come out until thre is an execution. Just jailing someone won't update the point total.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #192
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

If someone knows that Blade is a member of their faction, based upon his posts, then I would love it if they would step forward to help avoid a noble vs noble showdown. But without that knowledge, I'm just fine being in any kind of 1 on 1 showdown, preferably with a tricky/good player that I already suspect.

I'm not a noble leader, I don't have any special role/powers that I know of, so the only thing I can bring to the game is my perspective. If having a run-off with Blade helps preserve special roles for a night, that is cool. I want my faction to win, but more importantly I want to see us take down the assassins and we will definitely learn something from a showdown today.

First of all, jailing one would clear that one. Not both "strong voices." if im jailed, you are in no ways cleared when the points come out negative.

And i repeat, i do not want my faction members to reveal. Just as many of hoops' team members have come forward to protect him as mine have to protect me(0). So stop calling for my faction to reveal to save me when yours has done nothing to clear you either
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #193
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

I gotta say, you've got a BUNCH of good points on this. There's no downside to a 1-1 like this. I also like that you're the first to make mention of this and are willing to do it to get the assassins. (which is the true first intent of everyone who is a Noble).

UNVOTE HOOPSGUY
JAIL BLADE

Last edited by WVUFAN : 09-26-2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I added an "E" to Blade's Name. Typo edit, which is good under the rules.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #194
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I also like that you're the first to make mention of this and are willing to do it to get the assassins. (which is the true first intent of everyone who is a Noble).

A major victory is achieved when your leader is crowned, not when the assasins are no longer free. The first true intent of this game is to get my faction leader crowned, and it should be yours as well
Demotivation
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #195
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
And i repeat, i do not want my faction members to reveal. Just as many of hoops' team members have come forward to protect him as mine have to protect me(0). So stop calling for my faction to reveal to save me when yours has done nothing to clear you either

Now, that's a very interesting point.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #196
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
I don't believe it works this way. Points don't come out until thre is an execution. Just jailing someone won't update the point total.

Upon further review, looks like this is correct. Points are accumulated for jail decisions, but not posted until execution.

With that in mind, I'm not as excited about a 1:1 showdown because it doesn't really gain us anything. While putting me in jail won't impact me - I don't know of any night abilities that I possess - it does keep us from putting an assassin in jail who we can later execute.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #197
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
A major victory is achieved when your leader is crowned, not when the assasins are no longer free. The first true intent of this game is to get my faction leader crowned, and it should be yours as well

The first true intent of the game is to kill the assassins. Secondly is not to be killed yourself. THIRD is for your faction to win. Let's not confuse who the real enemy here is.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #198
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cronin, Post #188:
Quote:
Nothing to go on, except as far as I can tell she's not in my faction. Whatever that means

How do you know she is not in your faction when she has not posted since the start of the day?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #199
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
A major victory is both no free assassins and one's own faction (not necessarily the leader) crowned king.

Getting one's own faction crowned will only result in a "normal" victory.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #200
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The first true intent of the game is to kill the assassins. Secondly is not to be killed yourself. THIRD is for your faction to win. Let's not confuse who the real enemy here is.

To be fair, you get your leader crowned (faction win) by killing assassins. Those goals aren't sequential, they are tied together.