Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
hoopsguy
General Manager

What do you like about your fellow players?

I was having some conversations with another WW person tonight and thought I would post a cross-section of my thoughts. Many of these lessons were reinforced in the last game.

1.) Dubb makes playing this game look so easy. I feel like he is able to achieve the same impact on a game I am with so much less effort.

2.) Lathum is the hardest working man in WW. He has been a super-effective wolf for a long time but he really has improved his villager play over the past couple of years. I suspect (haven't talked with him about this) that he did not get up for playing a villager as much as a wolf back in the day, but that clearly is not the case anymore. He is really, really unpredictable but almost always creates a lot of value for his team.

3.) Alan's gut - anytime that I have an instinct for a player that is different than Alan's I would be well served to follow his lead. Failing to do so sometimes creates tension when we are villagers together and I'm going to try very hard to avoid repeating this mistake in the future. Don't fight it, accept it - Alan is a much more intuitive player than I am by a wide margin.

4.) Danny is one of the nicest guys in our group. I do not think that we have many (if any) jerks in our sub-forum, but Danny is consistently positive and maintains an even keel. The next time that he creates a mess in one of our game threads will be the first. This was re-inforced during the current game when I found myself having some ruling discussions with him. Even though I did not agree with all of his decisions I felt like he had a big enough bank of goodwill from previous games that I didn't really want to argue much with him and end up disrupting his game vision. I wanted his game to work because it was Danny.

hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Danny
Head Coach

Thank you Hoops , that means a lot to me
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I already sorta knew this, but this game was the first where I really got to work with hoops real close. He says Lathum's the hardest worker. I don't know about that--I don't recall ever wolfing or having PM rights with Lathum, so wouldn't know that. But if Lathum's not the hardest worker, it's not because of Lathum's work ethic but because of hoops.

It is a huge pain in the ass putting together those vote lists. I know, because every now and then I find the time to try, and it gets tedious to say the least. Not only does hoops do this with regularity, he also analyzes it well, and he reads every post carefully to come up with his own conclusions and to look for signs. It's truly amazing.

It was a ton of fun playing with hoops in this one, and getting the opportunity for the two of us--who really approach game in slightly different ways--to bounce a lot of ideas off of one another in private. I actually wonder what Danny thought about our interplay and ideas and discussions, because he was privy to it all.

My big regret is that work demands kept me so busy this week that, really, after checking back into work on Monday, it was very difficult for me to maintain the same level of play and consistent read on players. So in that I feel a did a disservice to hoops, because he deserved a partner who had more time to put the work in.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

oops works super hard for sure.

First thanks to Hoops for the compliments. I think maybe when Hoops says I am the hardest worker he may in part mean I have to work hard within the game to stay alive based on reputation and the way I play.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

First thanks to Hoops for the compliments. I think maybe when Hoops says I am the hardest worker he may in part mean I have to work hard within the game to stay alive based on reputation and the way I play.

That's true. You are easily the most often tested player in the game publically, and since you're not one to step down from a challenge, it results in a lot of interesting conversations that end up getting you more challenges later on as well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think Danny is going to have some good reads on us

Chief, I agree that it would have been a blast to have a little bit more time where we were around together to really hammer stuff out this game. E-mail is all well and good, but getting on at the same time and moving some of the conversation to chat would have been even better.

That said, I was excited when I got my role because I wanted to see how it would break with us getting to talk together. I just did not want to see us snuffed out by an early wolf kill or some stupid mis-step leading to a lynch that took us both out. So I was extra motivated to work hard in the thread for this one to make sure that I "protected" you.

No disservice at all. Would have been nice if we actually helped our team get some wolves, but you win some, lose some.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

Every game I play with hoops, I sort of trust him. He's non-threatening to me, which I guess is dangerous. I'm a sheep!!

I like pretty much everyone because they're better than me.

Here are a few others (no offense if you aren't included):

Lathum - Good because no matter what he does, he pisses me off, but makes me think.

dubb - He always got me riled up, but always seemed to have a handle on the game better than me.

Poli - Nemesis

Chief - So long winded, I can't finish his posts, so I sort of trust him...umm...because.

Alan - So sleezy, I don't trust him ever. I guess that's a goodish thing because it's unpredictable.

Eh, I could go on and on.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
Danny
Head Coach

Just a long with what everyone is saying

1. Hoops is a fantastic and hard working villager. Every decision may not be right, but it is a sound decision.

2. Dubb is a fantastic wolf. I was with him recently as a wolf, but he wasn't as into that game as this one since he got converted late and he let me take the lead there.

3. Lathum is seriously convincing in whatever he is trying to do. I thought he really was going to stay on Hoops and he fooled me along with everyone else. He may be the most dangerous player overall because of this.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

That is part of it, but doesn't entirely cover it. You play a high volume of games. You put yourself out there as a wolf and as a villager and defend your position intelligently and vigorously. You are willing to use a wide range of emotional/logical appeals to get your way. The fact that you "have to" does not really mean all that much to me - you do it game in and game out and are never a weak link on your team.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Autumn
Head Coach

Both Lathum and Hoops I find do a great job of generating info for the village (or confusion when they're wolves). Not just Hoops doing a lot with the stats, but he asks a lot of pointed questions and makes people jump through hoops (hah) that gets a lot on the table. Great for dealing with UTR players.

Lathum does the same in the way that he challenges people in thread. I never quite follow his guts because by the time I've caught up he's usually moved on to someone else, but without a player like him the thread would be too quiet and the village would be lost.

Alan's comments are incredibly well thought out and detailed, but since he played such a great wolf game in the Marvel game I played in I can't quite trust him ;-)

I haven't played enough to have good reads on most everybody else
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks for all the nice words everyone.

I will be providing some feedback on people as soon as I get some free time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'll throw some up here that I haven't seen mentioned yet or go a different angle on some:

EF- I really enjoy playing with EF, he's got a good sense of humor and his day 1 votes are something that I look forward to just to laugh and I feel when he and I have gone head-to-head (see the Mining game), he pushes me to bring my best. OH, and I forgot (hence the edit), my Penguins haven't lost in the three games since the sig went into place. Thanks EF.

The Jackal- If I'm a wolf and had a choice, I would take him just because he's a great guy to chat with as it goes. He's good ideas and plays a conservative game but is willing to hear out risks.

Mccollins- I haven't seen him around as much but I thought he was awesome when we were partnered up in the Chess game. We had a lot of back-and-forth via the PM dynamic in that game and did a nice job of working together.

Lathum- As everyone has said, by far one of the hardest workers out there. I was really excited bringing him in as a convert in the mining game just because he sees angles that I don't see. The reason I got on him last game is that he always knows a lot more that is going on so I got annoyed having to repeat things.

Pass- See Lathum's. Pass is one of the players I have trouble trusting in game because his styles match very closely between wolf and villager.

Claphamsa- Up there with Danny in terms of niceness. I really appreciated a PM he sent me after I was out of the last game and he's a very genuine player who just seems to have fun here.

Danny- Same as Claphamsa as well. I enjoy chatting with Danny and felt bad that I got pissed off during a game he ran. He's definitely good at trying out new things/angles as a GM or a player.

Barkeep- One of the few on-line mods anywhere that "gets it." I've never questioned any of his modding decisions, respect his opinion greatly, and work very hard not to bug him because he is such a good guy.

Hoops- Another one of the nicest guys on here. We were finally on the same team again and I blew that but we also had a decent back and forth once I was lynched. Hoops is a methodical player so I do get on him any possible time he doesn't seem to consider an angle because he usually is one of those guys who has "every base covered."

dubb- My first experience with dubb wasn't great but watching him play the last two games was an entirely different side of him. I think he does play an outstanding game and does a nice job of avoiding the spotlight but still providing enough analysis (or push as a wolf) to make a big difference.

Poli- I hope he isn't done. I enjoy Poli's play and he had me faked pretty good last game to where when I died, I trusted him the most.

Abe- Like Danny, goes takes on big challenges and I love his games for it, even if I feel they may slant one way or another at times. I think he's got an amazingly creative mind, does a terrific job with write-ups and if I had to pick somebody to GM the last game I ever played, it would be Abe.

I know I'm missing a ton but I do enjoy all you guys/gals.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 05-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

I feel like I'm hiding under a radar scope....

me likies
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

everyone loves my spelling

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote: