Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #301
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
You don't need to drag the entire nation with you, states and cities can ban guns or make them really hard to have. I'd start with Chicago...guns should probably be banned from that city.

Does trying to do something about rapes mean no one can have sex anymore?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-22-2015 at 07:58 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #302
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'd start with Chicago...guns should probably be banned from that city.

Didn't they try and the Supreme Court struck the law down?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #303
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Does trying to do something about rapes mean no one can have sex anymore?

Haha, um, what?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #304
cuervo72
Head Coach

States rights and heritage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqvCuOwpZU

(Those silly rioting white people...)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-22-2015 at 08:07 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #305
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Didn't they try and the Supreme Court struck the law down?

Try again...it will save 300 lives per year. Good thing ya'll aren't racists...probably be closer to 310 per year.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #306
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Chicago Gun Ban Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Judge
Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #307
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Good point, Baltimore!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #308
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Too bad, try banning the Confederate flag, that should help.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #309
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Nice try at misdirection. No one said it should be banned, only that it shouldn't be flown on government property. Bit of a difference there.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #310
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Good point, Baltimore!!!

(substituted out perhaps a better vid, that mentions shooting, molotov coctails, etc. from the rioters)

Well that's the thing. If you riot because you are protesting deaths at the hands of police, you are a bunch of thugs and animals. Rioting because you don't want blacks going to a school? Eh, you know - it's about a meddling Federal government trampling on the rights of the state.

Now, some might say "well, that was fifty years ago - blacks are doing that today." Yeah, no white folks would never pitch a fit today.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #311
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Good gracious. Regardless of what you might think of her politics, this is looking like she is pulling this one off masterfully. About 20 minutes ago, this happened.

Bipartisan group of Charleston-area politicians calls for lowering of Confederate flag - Post and Courier

(Yes, that's the freaking WHITE REPUBLICAN MAYOR OF NORTH CHARLESTON SPEAKING IN COHORTS WITH THE NAACP.)

I'm starting to wonder what SC's laws around Executive Orders are. By law, it can't come down until the legislature meets again. but with all this bipartisan stuff happening on the first day of the week, just minutes after she announces the presser, it's starting to seem orchestrated.

Linked from that article is one which shows Tim Scott at Haley's news conference in full support of the flag being taken down.

Gov. Nikki Haley joins call to remove Confederate flag - Post and Courier

also included is a quote from somebody from the Sons of Confederate Veterans and an actual state representative from Aiken who called it a non-issue being made an issue by certain groups to take advantage of a terrible situation," Gee I wonder if it will be a terrible situation when this causes him not to get re-elected? Another called it a Stalinist purge, I wonder how many people in his district know who Stalin was?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #312
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
(substituted out perhaps a better vid, that mentions shooting, molotov coctails, etc. from the rioters)

Well that's the thing. If you riot because you are protesting deaths at the hands of police, you are a bunch of thugs and animals. Rioting because you don't want blacks going to a school? Eh, you know - it's about a meddling Federal government trampling on the rights of the state.

Now, some might say "well, that was fifty years ago - blacks are doing that today." Yeah, no white folks would never pitch a fit today.

Deadly Riots at Ol' Miss - YouTube
Old 06-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #313
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Nice try at misdirection. No one said it should be banned, only that it shouldn't be flown on government property. Bit of a difference there.

Well something should be banned in Chicago...you pick.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #314
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Your posts are nonsensical at this point.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #315
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Jay Cutler
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #316
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Black people riot after centuries of mistreatment, they're thugs. White people riot because a black person wants to go to school, they're just concerned about states' rights.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #317
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Jay Cutler

Probably a good start. . I can see morale going up 12% on that move alone.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #318
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Jay Cutler

+1
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #319
cuervo72
Head Coach

Non-dola. I actually have to admit that, embarrassingly, I had little to no knowledge about the Ole Miss riots (yeah, I'm not exactly up on my 30 for 30s; also, this is something that is at best given a cursory mention in HS history classes, or at least mine). I looked it up because my wife mentioned that her sister and husband went to Ole Miss, and probably quite happily waved confederate flags at football games. So I went to look more into the history of that. I figured I'd share because it's a good thing to know about.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #320
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Black people riot after centuries of mistreatment, they're thugs. White people riot because a black person wants to go to school, they're just concerned about states' rights.

I think people who riot in a civilized society are garbage regardless of race.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #321
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

And you know why black people go to school there now?

Times change...meanwhile in St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, and Baltimore...Los Angeles, Oakland...those white Democrats givin those boys the business.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #322
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Jay Cutler

Finally something we can all agree on.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #323
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Non-dola. I actually have to admit that, embarrassingly, I had little to no knowledge about the Ole Miss riots (yeah, I'm not exactly up on my 30 for 30s; also, this is something that is at best given a cursory mention in HS history classes, or at least mine). I looked it up because my wife mentioned that her sister and husband went to Ole Miss, and probably quite happily waved confederate flags at football games. So I went to look more into the history of that. I figured I'd share because it's a good thing to know about.

Schools tend to gloss over America's errors. To put it nicely.

Quote:
I think people who riot in a civilized society are garbage regardless of race.

We wouldn't be here as a nation without riots.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #324
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

When they waved those flags were they thinking about racism or football?

I grew up in Bulldog territory, so this isn't hitting me too hard.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #325
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Finally something we can all agree on.

That is hilarious...its like two dudes arguing and then a hot chick walks by...*pause*....okay, back to fighting.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #326
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd agree with that, but it seems like it's human nature to require major incidents to spur change. That's so much a part of us that I'm not going to criticize a good act because of timing.

So do we give credit to Dylan Roof for creating the environment that led us to this good act?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #327
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
When they waved those flags were they thinking about racism or football?

I'd say both?

Quote:
In 1962, the state agency in charge of universities and colleges, the Institutions of Higher Learning, appointed Barnett the registrar in order to oppose James Meredith's efforts to desegregate Barnett's alma mater, the University of Mississippi. With the accreditation of the state's medical school and other universities in jeopardy due to the political interventions, the IHL board reversed their action after the riots on the campus.[6] Barnett was fined $10,000 and sentenced to jail for contempt but never paid the fine or served a day in jail.[4] This was because the charges were terminated (civil) and dismissed (criminal) by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals because of "substantial compliance with orders of the court," and "in view of changed circumstances and conditions." Only two Mississippi legislators opposed Barnett's efforts to defy the federal authorities, Joe Wroten and Karl Wiesenburg.

On the night before the Ole Miss riot of 1962 protesting Meredith's entry to the university, Barnett gave his famous sixteen-word "I Love Mississippi" speech at the University of Mississippi football game in Jackson. The Ole Miss Rebels were playing the Kentucky Wildcats. 41,000 fans cheered at the stadium waving thousands of Confederate flags. At halftime, a gigantic Confederate flag was unveiled on the field. The crowd shouted "We want Ross!". Barnett went to the field, grabbed the microphone at the 50-yard line and said to an enthusiastic crowd:

"I love Mississippi! I love her people! Our customs. I love and I respect our heritage."[7]

Barnett sounded like a heck of a guy, btw.

Quote:
Shortly after he left office, Barnett's looming presence was evident at the first jury trial of white supremacist Byron De La Beckwith in February 1964.[13] De La Beckwith was on trial for the murder of African American civil rights activist Medgar Evers, but an all-white jury was unable to agree on a verdict in both this and a subsequent re-trial. In the second subsequent re-trial, former Governor Ross Barnett interrupted the proceedings, while Myrlie Evers was testifying, to shake hands with Beckwith.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #328
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I don't think banning the flag will stop murders. I don't think it'll end racism (heck if anything it'll stoke the fires a bit in the short term). And I think it's really weird how society is taking it's political cues from a comedian on Comedy Central.

With that said, it should have been gone a long time ago. It's a battle flag from a group that attacked America. How can any patriotic American defend that? And on top of that, it was only used by the state as a middle finger to people who wanted desegregation.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #329
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I don't think banning the flag will stop murders. I don't think it'll end racism (heck if anything it'll stoke the fires a bit in the short term). And I think it's really weird how society is taking it's political cues from a comedian on Comedy Central.

With that said, it should have been gone a long time ago. It's a battle flag from a group that attacked America. How can any patriotic American defend that? And on top of that, it was only used by the state as a middle finger to people who wanted desegregation.

How's desegregation working up in Chicago? Not 1950's....I mean, today.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-22-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #330
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Haha, um, what?

So why does doing something about gun violence have to go straight to banning guns?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #331
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
We wouldn't be here as a nation without riots.

I don't know if I'd compare the political motives behind the Revolutionary War to those of the people looting a T-Mobile. Nor do I think comparing the position of colonists who had no representation to anyone in this country who has every right to vote on their representation.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #332
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So why does doing something about gun violence have to go straight to banning guns?

It shouldn't, in most situations.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #333
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How's desegregation working up in Chicago? Not 1950's....I mean, today.

I think pretty well. 6th in the world in GDP, better pizza than everyone, and generally a pretty cool place to live with lots of things to do.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #334
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I don't know if I'd compare the political motives behind the Revolutionary War to those of the people looting a T-Mobile. Nor do I think comparing the position of colonists who had no representation to anyone in this country who has every right to vote on their representation.

Right, that was the beginning of an insurgency with aims of revolution. Stealing a 12 pack of ginger ale and some Boones Farm is not advancing ones cause nor actually having a cause...other than..."I ain't doing nothing else tonight, lets go get some free stuff. Hey, save the game before we roll out!"
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #335
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I think pretty well. 6th in the world in GDP, better pizza than everyone, and generally a pretty cool place to live with lots of things to do.

You must live in the "no shooting" section.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #336
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seriously? Get over yourself.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #337
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You must live in the "no shooting" section.

And I don't belong in a gang which accounts for 80% of the homicides.

I know the headlines are bad, but if you aren't involved with gangs, it's pretty safe.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #338
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Seriously? Get over yourself.

Seriously? Pound sand. Plenty of folks here and elsewhere ripped the rioters. Hell, some compare them to monkeys, or dogs, or whatever. Well guess what? We all have that in us. Whites have rioted and done plenty worse. Nobody's any better than anyone else. I may not sway anyone with my arguments, but shove off if you think I'll stop making them because they piss somebody off.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #339
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Seriously? Pound sand. Plenty of folks here and elsewhere ripped the rioters. Hell, some compare them to monkeys, or dogs, or whatever. Well guess what? We all have that in us. Whites have rioted and done plenty worse. Nobody's any better than anyone else. I may not sway anyone with my arguments, but shove off if you think I'll stop making them because they piss somebody off.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #340
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
And I don't belong in a gang which accounts for 80% of the homicides.

I know the headlines are bad, but if you aren't involved with gangs, it's pretty safe.

Charleston is probably the same way. I know the headlines are bad, but if you aren't randomly gunned down by a crazed lunatic every 20 years or so...it's pretty safe.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #341
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Can't we all just get along?

Hey, I'd like that. But I think we all need to take a look at reasons why that's not happening. Sometimes that's a little uncomfortable.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #342
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Call to change Mississippi state flag...

Petition seeks to change Mississippi flag amid Confederate debate
Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #343
Dutch
"Dutch"

You better hit all the southern states while you are at it....they are all based loosely on Dixie designs.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #344
BillJasper
Pro Starter

While I don't normally like Mike Florio, I thought this was a well written article...

The failed rebellion against the United States should not be remembered with honor | ProFootballTalk

Quote:
I’ve seen some justify the ongoing embrace of the symbol of the failed rebellion against the United States by pointing to the fact that their ancestors fought and died in the failed rebellion against the United States. I can’t relate to that concept, because my ancestors were living in Italy at the time.

But there’s a very good chance I had some lingering relatives who were on the wrong side of World War II. I have zero inclination to honor any of them. Today, 150 years after it ended, why don’t we feel the same way about the wrong side of the Civil War?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #345
Easy Mac

According to the Fox Carolina poll at 10 pm, 37% of the respondents were for the flag coming down, 67% against, and 2% undecided. People in South Carolina can't even do simple math, actually taking action on the flag is probably too difficult for them.

As someone who has lived here for 25 years, I would be quite surprised if they vote to bring the flag down. There's too many legislators from the further reaches of the state where a vote to remove it would be detrimental to their reelection.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 06-22-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #346
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
You better hit all the southern states while you are at it....they are all based loosely on Dixie designs.

One of the people calling for it is the State Speaker of the House. Republican Phillip Gunn...

Quote:
"We must always remember our past, but that does not mean we must let it define us," [House Speaker Philip] Gunn, a Clinton Republican, said in a statement. "As a Christian, I believe our state's flag has become a point of offense that needs to be removed. We need to begin having conversations about changing Mississippi's flag."
Old 06-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #347
Dutch
"Dutch"

Nobody asked, but the Mississippi flag should be changed. Will it be okay if its still related to the south?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #348
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your posts are nonsensical at this point.

Seriously. It's like the desperate posts by someone who has no rational reason for anything he says.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #349
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Seriously. It's like the desperate posts by someone who has no rational reason for anything he says.

I'm still here. What do you need clarification on?
Old 06-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #350
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
According to the Fox Carolina poll at 10 pm, 37% of the respondents were for the flag coming down, 67% against, and 2% undecided. People in South Carolina can't even do simple math, actually taking action on the flag is probably too difficult for them.

As someone who has lived here for 25 years, I would be quite surprised if they vote to bring the flag down. There's too many legislators from the further reaches of the state where a vote to remove it would be detrimental to their reelection.
Merely "detrimental?????" I'm thinking more like "political-career suicide." My assumption is that most rural legislators will either vote no or have some pressing family matter to attend to when the vote is taken. Failing that, there will be no shortage of "I would have voted to keep the flag" candidates in rural SC's upcoming election cycles.