Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

Butter's Adventures of a Poker Novice

I created a similar thread about 2 years ago, but it's archived now. The gist of that poker thread was that I would try to build up my money at various places, having deposited no money of my own, just to see how much I could get just by playing freerolls.

Let me just preface this by saying: I love poker. I love playing poker. But I do not profess to be very good at it. In fact, I'm quite mediocre. I often know how I should play the hands I'm dealt, but end up not doing it for one reason or another. I am what some of you would call tight-passive... or, to be more succinct, a fish.

Anyhow, at the conclusion of that thread, I wasn't really doing all that hot. But eventually I was able to build up over $100 at Poker Champs. Problem with Poker Champs is, there's almost no action there. My bank there currently stands somewhere between $40-$60, but there is almost no limit game action in the .50/$1 limit that I want to play at. It's either $.05/.10 or $2/$4, which I'm nowhere near being able to afford. I am not quite a good enough SNG player, either, to make those a profitable enterprise. I'm good enough to about break even at them, but that's it.

What follows is a run-down of what's happened to me and my wife as we attempt to re-build some money at Party Poker.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

The first few posts are taken from another message board I frequent where I have been running updates on this as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

Now that I can't play my soccer game at work, I need something to fill the in-between time... and there is plenty of that here. As long as I keep getting told what a great job I'm doing and am offered multiple raises and bonuses every year, I'm going to think I'm doing ok. Not to say that I'm doing nothing wrong... I realize this is not kosher on some level.... but as long as I am careful and don't get caught, we're cool.

Point is, I'm back to playing online poker during the day. To bring you up to speed on where The Mrs. and I have been, poker-wise... we both collected a free $100 to play with at PartyPoker a while back. I crapped out on mine, trying to play higher limits than my bankroll would support. I tried to play $1/$2 and even $2/$4 limits at times, and as any regular player will tell you, there are going to be swings. Problem was, when I had a prolonged swing downward, I ran out of money.

So, as you may remember, the Mrs. hit some big money in some tournies a while back (Well, YOU wouldn't remember that, but the people at the other site would.). "Big" being relative, but $200+ was pretty big to us. She tried to keep playing, and make some money at sit 'n go's, but neither of us were good enough at those to regularly make money. The Party Poker SNG's tend to be a crapshoot anyway, because they don't give you that many chips to start with, and the blinds go up fairly quickly. So unless you build a large stack early, you end up pretty much being forced to gamble when there are 4-5 players left. And in order to make money at SNG's, you pretty much have to win 1 of every 3 that you enter, or place in the top 3 2 out of every 3. We weren't able to do that.

The money sat there for a long time... then one day, I discovered they had added blackjack to PartyPoker. I made nearly $300 in one day, doubling our money to over $600. It was an incredible run of luck. But we actually wised up and withdrew $300. It's a good thing we got that money out when we did, because shortly thereafter, I blew pretty much all the rest of it (save about $30) on blackjack. I thought I was a wizard. Turns out I just had a very, very good run, followed by a very, very bad run. On the whole, I broke even. But since we withdrew $300, and there was about $330 in there to begin with, The Mrs. account ended up with $30.

Last week, I went on there under my name, got a free $30, and promptly lost it on no-limit tables. They then offered The Mrs. $40 free, and I took it. So, we start now at PartyPoker with $70.

I won some money in a $2 tourney (about $6.50 or so) last week, then handed it back + some at no-limit. I vowed, then, to stick to low $ tourneys and limit tables, since in order to keep the new $40, I had to play 400 raked hands in 10 days.

I started today (7/20/06) in The Mrs. account with $60.57.

Opened up 2 tables, a 10 seater and a 6 seater. I noticed at other sites I had played at recently (also with free cash), that I do better at 6 seaters than at 10. I like playing pots, and a short table lends itself to aggression moreso than a large table. At those tables, you have to wait for big hands, and play them well. At shorter tables, you can bluff successfully much more often, or ride out opponent's bluffs more often as well.

So, both tables I start with $25 at, leaving $10 in reserve.

I start out raising with impunity at the tight 6 seat table, but soon enough the table adjusts to my aggression. I start out up slightly, then trend slowly downward. I take 2 big hits when my QQ is beaten by KK in a fairly large pot, then I have an AJ beaten by AQ. Also, I lose with pocket Q's again when someone called a raise with A8o, and two 8's hit the flop.

The 10 seater isn't going well either. I realized soon, though, that I was calling too much there, and perhaps being a bit too passive, not getting in value bets on the river for fear that an overcard had hit an opponent.

After about 1/2 hour, I was down over $20 total. I had run the $60 to start to $37+. Horrified, I started to panic a bit. Instead of betting hard trying to make my money back, though, I stepped back and let myself fold around for an orbit. I realize that I am just going through a bad run of cards and bad luck, and convince myself to stay around and that the cards will pick up... and that I will maximize the money out of those cards, and minimize the amount that I lose through bad cards.

Sure enough, at the 6 seater table, I start picking up pocket pairs. I pick up 6 pairs within about 15 hands, and raise them all. I win the majority of the hands, mostly thanks to the guy seated across the table from me, who pretty much calls down any hand he's involved in. I got AA, KK, QQ, 77, 99, 22... I went from under $15 at this table alone to over $44 in about another hour's time. I also notice that one of the players who had over $72 a little while ago, was now under $60, largely thanks to my nice rush. The table breaks up shortly thereafter, and I end up with over $38 in my stack, meaning I made $13 for the 90 or so minutes of play. They say that on these kind of limits, in order to make money, you should average winning 3-4 BB/hr. I made over 13 BB in 90 minutes here, so that was nice.

At the 10 seater table, I start just playing better. I fold a lot of hands that I would normally call with (QTs, J9o, and such marginal fluff). This keeps me from speculating on flush draws and 2nd pairs that I end up losing with more often than not. I pick up 77 in the cutoff, and raise. I get 2 players, and the flop is 9-8-7, all clubs. That's death for a hand like mine. It looks like gold, but I need a board pair at this point, and I know it. Still, I bet out and the 2 raisers call. Turn is 3c. Check-check again, I bet out and get raised. There's your club flush. River is 3d, and I river a full house. We cap the betting there, and I make nearly all my money back on that one hand. I have the misfortune of splitting 2 very good hands later on, but leave this table about $2 up... which is about 1.5 BB/hr... which is a good expectation at high levels, but probably not so great here. But considering I had $11 at this table at one point, and finish with $26.75, I'll take it.

Finish: $75.67
+$15.10 for session

Last edited by Butter : 07-24-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

7/20/06
Party Poker
$2 Speed tournament (re-buys and add-ons supported)

I've only played in a couple of re-buy supported tourneys before, and certainly know that the playing is much looser in them... usually because people will just crap out and spend another $2 to buy back in during the first hour (during which you can re-buy an unlimited number of times). I plan not to re-buy, and if I make it to the 2nd hour, I will use another $2 to add-on if I make it that far. The blinds go up every 5 minutes in this tourney, and also each player only has 15 seconds to act.

You start out with 3,000 chips, and the blinds open at 20/40.

Just as the blinds go from 20/40 to 30/60, I check an unraised pot with 3 players from the BB. I have 3d4d… flop is 6-5-2 rainbow. Small blind bets 350 into a 180 chip pot… I smooth call, player to my left also calls, he’s all-in. River is an 8, putting a possible higher straight and a heart flush into play… I bet the pot size, and the SB folds… all-in player flips up Kc6c, so I cinch this hand and bump from 2800 or so to 3856. Guy that was all-in on this hand and lost simply re-buys.

11 minutes in, there are 902 entrants, and there have been nearly 900 rebuys.

Blinds at level 3 (50/100), I get JTh, and call the 100 BB in middle position. 5 players, flop is AQ4, 2 diamonds, 1 heart. I call a bet with a gutshot and a backdoor flush possibility, and we have 4 players continuing to the turn. Turn and river bring JK of spades, turn was checked all the way around, and I end up with the nuts… with a 10. I bet 600 on the river, and get no callers… I move up to 4556, 4th place at the table… and that’s without add-ons.

Less than 20 minutes in, and some crazy MFer at Table 10 has 86,000 chips. He’s increased his stack by 3,000%. That table must be chock full of crazy re-buyers. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum at my table, with about 2 or 3 crazy players who will re-buy nearly every hand if they get anything halfway decent.

3 players get knocked out at around the ½ hour mark when someone holding AA slow-plays them, and knocks out 3 players who get into a crazy raising war pre-flop with rags like A4 and J9. I get moved to a new table… just ahead of the blinds, which are about to increase to 300/600. I have 3956. I get 58 in the BB, and fold to a raise… down to 3,356. SB, I get 39o, and fold it. 3,056 now. I need to pick up a hand before the blinds swing back around to me. The next 2 hands, I get 39o, making it 3 hands in a row. Awesome.

I see now why it’s so crazy… at this point, you pretty much have to move in with any pair, any decent Ace, or any 2 face cards if you haven’t built up to at least 10k. I get stuff like 25s and J4 while watching the blinds of 400/800 + 25 ante roll towards me.

I get AJo in early position and move in. I get a caller with 99… I flop an Ace and a Jack, and move up to 7,487.

A9c UTG, but I fold. Probably should’ve gone for it, especially when the flop comes 9-3-2.

AKo in the BB… here’s another all-in hand. I get 2 callers, and win with my AK against AT and A7 when they get no help. I’m up to 23,736. Blinds move up to 600/1200 + 50. Tourney is down to

99 in the cutoff. I call 800, and call an all-in of about 4,000 more… and lose to KK. 19,012 now.

JTo I would normally play in late position, but not here. Flop is 9-Q-K, and I want to cry. I would’ve tripled to over 60,000, and busted AA in the process.

I’m in the blinds again, and fold A2o to a large raise. I get cute with 33, and fold to a big bet, dropping me to 13,144.

The prize pool on this thing looks like it’s going to near $10,000… with just 900 starters in a $2 tourney, that’s a monster. I’d love to make the money, but it’s going to be nearly impossible unless I catch some cards before the 1 hour break, when the rebuys stop. Blinds move up to 1000/2000 + 75.

Looks like my table will be broken up before the blinds hit me again… I’m at table 52 with 530 or so players left, and 4 more players to get through before the blinds come. I get 77, and fold. Middle pairs are losing propositions against these crazies. Again, I would’ve won that hand, AQ v. 33, and the highest card that hit was a J. DAMMIT.

I get moved to table 23, just ahead of the blinds. BB, I get K2o. Fold. Down to 10,769. K5 v. AQ, and I would’ve split. Double damn. SB, I get A4o. Fold to an all-in. Players on this hand actually made a flush that would’ve beat me. So for once I don’t feel so bad about folding a marginal hand.

I’m at 9,619, with 75 antes right now… again, I’m looking to double (or triple as the case may be). 25o, fold. Would’ve made a straight as A-3-4 hit through the river.

33 comes, I fold as 2 people call a large all-in ahead of me that would cost me over half my chips. 2 players all-in, 3 more call them on this hand. Flop would’ve totally missed me, so I don’t feel too bad.

The field is down to 438 players with only 50 minutes gone. Blinds go up to 1500/3000 + 75… 10 minutes to the break. 23o, I fold.

AKo, I go all-in. 2 callers, they have 45, and A6… a 6 hits the board, and I’m done. MFer. The 6 hit the turn too, so I was looking good up until then. I decline the re-buy, and this roller coaster is over. I finish 424th... I imagine about 100 will pay, so I had a long way to go... there's no point buying back in now, when the blinds cost as much as I'd get in one re-buy.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

7/20/06, Afternoon session
Start: $73.67

I once again sit at a 6 and 10 seat table simultaneously. First hand at the 6 seater, I get sucked into some crappy hand with 3h6h thanks to the wonder of pot odds (I was getting about 8:1 for the initial call, thanks to having to ante in 50c to start). I lose $2 on that deal.

I get 77 on the 10 seater. I call, and there are 5 players. Flop is 9-6-6. I win with a single bet post-flop, and get 4 others to fold. This is the kind of table that’s tough… hopefully, the more aggressive players just weren’t involved in that pot.

6 seater, I get AcKc on the button, and raise. SB re-raises, and there are 3 players to the flop. Flop is 2-7-9, I call 50c… turn is a 10, and I fold to more betting. I raise again next hand with ATo, and get 2 callers again. Flop is AK3 rainbow. I lead at it, and get a caller. Turn is a 4. Caller now takes the betting lead, and I just call behind him for the next 2 turns… I should’ve raised, because all he had was a K. Missed out on $1 there.

I lose about $4 when my 66 loses to 77 on a board of AA879. The bettor was the guy who took the lead in the betting on the previous hand, so I didn’t know what to make of him. This scenario looks familiar, as about 20 minutes in, I’m down $7.25 on the 6-seater and $3.25 on the other.

I get KK at the 6-seater. I raise in middle position, and crazy guy folds. Flop is 6-A-K, 2 clubs. He bets out. I just call. Turn is 2s. He bets at it again, I raise him. River is a 2, giving me a boat. He can’t but help to call my river bet, and I’m back to $22.50 at this table. Short time later, I pick up 33 in the SB and call a raise. I stick with calling it down, and the raiser had KQ and didn’t improve on the board of rags. I win a bit there, then win with KK again as the single other player in the pot folds to me on the turn. Back up to $27.75.

I am just getting blinded down on the 10-seater, with no hands of note being dealt to me.

I lose $4 when my AJ loses to 5-10o on the river… as the flop was A-Q-T, I bet it aggressively, and the douche I face off with makes 2 pair on the river 5. I lose another $4 later, when my AJ is beaten by AQ, and 2 Aces hit the board. I thought about re-raising on the river, but thought better of it, and it’s a good thing I did. Down a total of $10.25 now between the 2 tables. I lose another $1.50 when I raise with AQ, but fold when 4 of a suit I don’t have hit the board. I lose with AK and AQ a bit later, and drop to $11 at this table. Almost time to consider cutting my losses. I raise with QJ, and stay in through the river as the flop brings 9-T, but I hit nothing and drop to below $10 at this table. I leave the table with $9, a $16 loss.

Meanwhile, at the 10-seater, I’m still down $3.50 thanks to winning a small pot here, and losing one there. I join another 10-seater, and see what this’ll get me, as the account has now dropped to somewhere around $54.

I get KQ and 33 simultaneously… I lose with both as all big overcards hit the 3’s board, while I fold to a raiser on the KQ board when an Ace and 2 suited cards come up. That’s great.

Seems like every time I’ve drawn 2 face cards the flop is either all rags or an Ace comes out. This sucks.

Get QQ on the old 10-seater. I raise, but no one calls, so I pick up 75c. I get ATo on the new board, but fold to a strong bettor on a board of QK6.

Once again, I get 2 hands on the tables simultaneously. Js9s on one, KJo on the other. I call raises on both (I was in the BB with J9). The J9 board goes J-T-3, while the K board comes Q-J-T. I end up losing the first hand when the board finishes KQ, and the raiser naturally had an Ace that beat my smaller straight. I chop the other when that board finishes with a 9 to give any King a straight.

I finally get a good money-making hand at the new table… I draw 88 and call along with 4 others. Flop is 8sAs7d. I check it around, and sure enough the button bets at it… 3 players to the turn, and it’s the Jh. I deserve to get beat if I check this again and the button checks into a spade flush, but he bets at it. The SB calls, and I raise…. The button folds, but the SB stays in for some reason. River is a Qc. Slight chance he just made a str8 with KT, but I bet anyway. He calls, and I pull down the $10+ pot. Sadly, I lose most of that money on the other table, as my 77 is called down by A8, and an 8 hit the flop.

I make up some ground at the new table, when my QJ is called down all the way on a board of 3QK7K by A3.

Sadly, I’m forced to leave my 2 tables when my e-mail system, which I’ve been without all week, comes back online. Not a good session, this. I didn’t hit any flops except maybe one… make that 2, as I hold out on one table when I’m dealt AJ and have my raise re-raised… Flop is A-3-6, and I check to the raiser. Should’ve played this hand faster, as he checks the river, knowing he’s beat. I pull a little of my losses back late.

Finish: $52.67
-$21.00 for session
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Comment from me from 7/20/06

So, yeah, apparently I need to play EVEN TIGHTER than I was already. I was folding stuff like KT and Ax-suited unless I was on the button or in a blind. I guess I'll have to tighten down even more... which makes playing rather boring. But if I want to make money, I'll have to do it.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

7/21/06
Party Poker, 50c/$1 limit tables
Start: $52.67

I open 2 10-seater tables, and plan to play SUPER-TIGHT! at both. SUPER-TIGHT! is a trademark of Butter, Inc. and may not be reproduced or re-transmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, for some reason.

Natch, first hand I get dealt AsKs at one table. I call a raise. Flop is Ac-2s-Kc… raiser checks, I bet… they do the ol’ check raise. I call. Turn is another club, they bet, I raise this time, they call. River is another club… they check (clearly signifying “please take this pot from me! I have no club!”), I bet, they fold. I net $4.25.

I win a small pot at the other table when I make a small pair and there is little action.

As-Qs on the button later. I raise with only 1 limper behind me. The blinds call me, and the flop is a wonderful 4s-5s-Qd. The SB surprisingly bets. The BB calls, I just call, planning a turn raise. The turn is 9h, and again the SB bets… BB calls, I raise… SB considers, but calls, BB folds. I bet the river, which is a spade, completing my flush, and I win a $10.50 pot after the SB reluctantaly calls my , netting about $6 on that one.

I raise AQo in the cutoff… it’s re-raised by the SB. I call, holding position. Flop is ugly, T58, 2 diamonds. I hold a diamond, so I call a 50c bet. The field is down to 2 players, turn is a nice Ah. SB bets, I just call. River is Qh… SB checks, I bet… they make the call, and I win the $10 pot with a rivered 2 pair.

I raise pocket 10’s in middle position. Flop is 10-6-5… I only had one caller, and they check, so I just go ahead and bet to take it down… but they call. 2 spades on the board. Turn is a Jc… they bet. I raise, they call. River is Qh… they check, I bet. They consider, then raise. I call, fearing a made straight, but in fact, they just had AJ and were making a play. Plays don’t work here, doofus. I win the $10.75 pot.

I raise with KQo in MP and take the blinds.

I call a raise with TT in the SB, but fold to a turn bet with 2 overcards on the board. SUPER-TIGHT!!!

I raise from BB with JJ. 2 callers, flop is As-5d-2d… I bet out. I get raised, and decide to fold. SUPER-TIGHT!!

I raise QQ from MP3 with only the blinds in play. The cutoff calls me, and that’s it. Flop is all hearts, Q2J. I bet, caller thinks about it…. then folds. I win $2.75.

I raise KJo from early position, trying to take down the blinds. It works! I guess no one had any Ace or suited cards like 10-5 or something. I know normally I would at least get 1 caller, if not more, so I’m kinda surprised there.

I call A6o in the SB… 3 players, flop is 6-6-7. I check, BB checks, cutoff bets, I call. BB folds. Turn is 7s. I bet, cutoff raises, I call. River is a 4. I check, cutoff bets, I call… he was on a total steal, had a busted flush draw. This was the same guy who tried to make a play before. I win the $8 pot.

I just call 77 from the SB… 3 players, flop is 3-2-2. I bet out, BB folds, other calls. Turn is a 4… I bet again, they call. River is a 7, so I get a full house. I bet, they call, I win $6.

I get really tempted to leave both tables, as I’m up over $24 at this point. But I don’t.

I raise with 66 UTG. Everyone folds! I usually hate raising with middle pocket pairs, but it’s working at these tables today.

KQo in SB… I call, 3 players. Flop is A-8-J, all spades. I have the Ks, so I’m drawing to the nut flush, and lead out. MP1 calls me. Turn completes my straight, Th. I bet, they call. River is Ac, so as long as they don’t have 2 pair, I’m not too worried. They call, and I win the pot.

I open raise with A7s in the cutoff, and get called… Flop completely misses me, they bet, and I fold. SUPER-TIGHT!!

KQs, I raise… it’s re-raised, and I call. Flop is 4-T-8 rainbow… I check, and fold to a bet… turn and river are 9-J, so I cry when I see that I would’ve beaten them both with a str8 on the river. Both other players had ATo. Re-raising with AT, eh? I’ll remember that.

AKo in the cutoff, I open raise. BB calls, flop is J-9-9. I bet at it after a check. BB calls, hmmm.

I fold 66 on the button facing a raise and a caller… SUPER-TIGHT!

I raise with 22 in late position… 2 callers. Flop is Kc-5c-8c. I bet after 2 checks. I get a call. Turn is 9h…. I bet again… SB considers, but folds. I made a play on that one, and win $5.

I raise with 44 UTG. 2 callers, flop is Q-5-A, all spades. I bet out, get a call. Turn is an 8, SB checks, I bet, they call. We go check-check on the river brick, and they had flopped 2 pair but were scared of the flush. I needed another spade to win, as I had the 4s.

J2o in BB, I check it. 5 players, flop is Jack high. I bet, it gets raised, 3 callers. Turn is a blank, I check and fold to another bet. SUPER-TIGHT!!

Raise with KTo on the button following a limper… all 3 players call, flop is Q-4-T rainbow. I raise the SB… he re-raises, I call. Turn is 5d. I just want to see what he has now…. But I fold. SUPER-TIGHT!!

AA in the cutoff. I open raise. BB calls me. Q-8-2, 2 hearts. Check, I bet. They call. Js is the turn. Check-bet again, and now they raise me. I call. River is Ts, they check, I check. They flopped 2 pair, with 2-8 of diamonds. Fucker. I go down 50 cents at this table after having my Aces cracked, but am still up over $15 at the other one.

KJo in the cutoff. I raise, and get 2 callers. I bet at the Ace high flop… it gets raised, I fold.

I am definitely on the down-swing here, so I decide to pack up shop right when the blinds hit me on each table. I know, there is no such thing really as luck, but sometimes it really does seem to follow a pattern… I seem to either catch a bunch of cards and hit a bunch of flops, or get my Aces cracked and hit nothing for about a half hour, and watch my money slide away.

Here is a list of hands I would have normally played, but didn’t, because I was playing SUPER-TIGHT!!!

Hands I normally would play that I folded:
Ad-6d
J9o (on button)
Qc-Tc (UTG)
QTo (in late position)
As-2s (MP3)
KJo (on the button, facing a raise and re-raise… I would def. normally have called here, but it’s a good thing I didn’t as the players were holding AA and KK)
2d-7d (j/k, checking to see if you’re actually reading)
Kc-Tc (UTG+2)
A9o (in cutoff, facing a raise)
KJo (in SB, facing a raise)
A9s (MP1)
KTo (UTG+1)

Those folds probably saved me at least $6, probably more, considering that I would’ve probably caught pieces of some of those flops and felt the need to carry on with them. But on nearly all of them, I would’ve made nothing.

Good session.

Finish: $65.92
+$13.25 for 75 minute session

Last edited by Butter : 07-24-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

7/21/06
Party Poker, .50/$1 limit tables
Start: $65.92

This session literally lasted 10 minutes over 2 tables. I was just looking to kill a bit of time before I have to leave today, then it got busy for me and I had to quit. Which is fine.

Here are the highlight hands (thanks to the site mentioned in the body below). I played less than 20 hands total.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, K.
Hero raises, 5 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T, 6, 4 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB folds.

Final Pot: 2.75 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 2.75 BB.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, A.
6 folds, Hero raises, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6, Q, T (2 players)
Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) A (2 players)
Hero bets, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets, BB calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Results in white below:
BB has Ah 7d (one pair, aces).
Hero has 6s Ac (two pair, aces and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 7 BB.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, T.
UTG calls, 4 folds, Hero raises, 4 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7, 3, Q (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 4 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 4.75 BB.

And for Table 2:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, A. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, MP1 calls, 1 fold, Hero (poster) raises, 3 folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J, K, 7 (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 2 (2 players)
MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Kc Ah (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 5.75 BB.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, K. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
3 folds, Hero raises, 6 folds.

Final Pot: 2.50 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 2.50 BB.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q, J.
1 fold, Hero calls, 5 folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 8, 5, Q (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 2 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 2 BB.

Finish: $76.67
+$10.75 for 9 minute session
Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Comment from 7/21/06

My 2 favorite hands above are me pushing with AT and getting the guy with possibly a better hand to fold... and then having the guy fold to my AK on hand 1 at Table 2 when he could've just checked.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

7/23/06
Start: $76.67

So, Andrea decides that she's going to throw her hat back in the poker ring. It's been so long since she's played at Party Poker in fact, that she's forgotten her alias and has to ask me what it is. I busy myself with some household chores while she gets down to business. I make it back in time for her 3rd hand, which is:

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, K.
4 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 raises, 2 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4, A, T (3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I internally roll my eyes as she makes the call here... she's drawing pretty much to a Queen and that's it.

Turn: (5 BB) Q

Well, maybe sometimes drawing to an inside straight is OK.

(3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets, MP3 calls, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, MP3 folds, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

River: (14 BB) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Jd Kh (straight, ace high).
MP2 has Ah 4s (two pair, aces and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 16 BB.

Pretty good start here. We sit by and watch some amazing hands unfold... all in 23 minutes' time.

===================

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, T.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, Hero raises (I had to prod the raise out of her, but this is a good play in late position), 1 fold, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 2, 6, 3 (3 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8 (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 6.50 BB.

=========================

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, J.
3 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, CO raises, 2 folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

She played this better than I would have. I probably would've folded after a raise, even with QJ here, but it turned out nice....

Flop: (6.50 SB) T, K, 8 (3 players)
BB bets, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A (3 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, BB calls, Hero caps, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 7 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, CO raises, BB folds, Hero 3-bets, CO calls.

Final Pot: 22.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Qc Js (straight, ace high).
CO has 8d 8c (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 22.75 BB.

We didn't see that he had made trips, but we couldn't believe her good luck in not only making the nuts here, but getting re-raised. A huge pot.

But she's not done.

===========================

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 5. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO (poster) checks, 1 fold, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7, 5, T (5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, CO calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T (4 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) T (4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has 7c 5h (full house, tens full of sevens).
UTG has 6h As (three of a kind, tens).
MP1 has 4s 4h (full house, tens full of fours).
CO has Qc Ah (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.50 BB.

Again, great luck here to beat 3 in the pot... I thought she was screwed for having slow-played the 2 pair to begin with (which I encouraged, wrongly), but imagine my shock when after the 2nd 10 comes out, a 3rd hits. I still thought someone would have 88 or something to beat her.

But she's STILL not done.

=============================

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, 5.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP2 calls, Hero calls, 3 folds, BB checks.

I grumble about just calling in position with Ax here, but in retrospect, it was a GREAT move.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K, 7, Q (4 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 9 (2 players)
MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 3 (2 players)
MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

Results in white below:
MP2 has 9c Qc (two pair, queens and nines).
Hero has Ad 5d (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.25 BB.

Just great fortune again to get someone to hit a good hand while she holds the nuts. Amazing luck.

Great luck and good play combine here to bring down the most I think I've ever seen someone take down at one of these tables in just 23 minutes. Amazing. And I would like to take credit for it all, but the Mrs. made a couple of calls that I probably wouldn't have, and then made them work. If I had played it here, I would've missed out probably on at least twenty of these dollars.

Finish: $117.17
+$40.50 for 23 minute session[/quote]
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

7/24/06
Start: $117.17

I knew it wasn't a good idea to play when I opened it up. There are a lot of people at work today, and they're constantly going by my desk with the screen exposed. It just makes me unsettled, a lot jumpier than I'd normally be. And bad luck today combined with the jitteriness = not a good session.

But it could've been worse. Here are the highlights from about a half hour of play.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K, A.
1 fold, Hero raises, 4 folds, SB calls, 1 fold.

Flop: (5 SB) A, 9, 4 (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 3 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, SB folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ks Ac (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.50 BB.

==========

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, A. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
5 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button raises, Hero calls, 1 fold, CO folds.

Flop: (6 SB) J, 4, 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) T (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Jc As (two pair, jacks and fours).
Button has Kh Ah (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins 12 BB.

Fuck it, I knew he had made the flush, but I still called that last bet anyway... good play? Bad? I can't fold for one more bet at that point, can I? Should I check that?

==========

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, A.
3 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q, 7, A (3 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) K (2 players)
Hero bets, MP2 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) J (2 players)
Hero bets, MP2 raises, Hero calls.

Results in white below:
MP2 has Ks Td (straight, ace high).
Hero has 7c Ah (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 8.50 BB.

I guess if you live by drawing to the inside straight, sometimes you have to die by it.

==========

Preflop: Hero is Button with J, T.
5 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, BB checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 6, K, A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) Q (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Results in white below:
BB has Kc 6c (two pair, kings and sixes).
Hero has Jh Th (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.25 BB.

==========

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9, T.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A, 8, 7 (4 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls, BB raises, UTG+1 3-bets, Hero folds, BB caps, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) J (2 players)
BB bets, UTG+1 raises, BB 3-bets, UTG+1 caps, BB calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB

Results in white below:
BB has 6c 9h (straight, jack high).
UTG+1 has Ac 8c (two pair, aces and eights).
Outcome: BB wins 20.75 BB.

Couldn't stay in the pot with the raising and re-raising going on after the turn... but I probably should've. What would you have done here?

==========

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
4 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8, Q, 4 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB folds.

Final Pot: 2.75 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 2.75 BB.

==========

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J, J.
2 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4, 4, 2 (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3 (2 players)

River: (6.75 BB) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Jh Js (two pair, jacks and fours).
Button has 7d 7s (two pair, sevens and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.75 BB.

Again, I think I'm playing too timid here... darn work jitters.

==========

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K, Q.
1 fold, Hero raises, 5 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7, 2, 7 (2 players)

Turn: (3.25 BB) 5 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 2 (2 players)
BB bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB

Results in white below:
BB doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins 4.25 BB.

Not sure on this one if I should have continued betting the whole way... but I just felt beat here. Ace-rag has me, so again I just didn't feel comfortable calling that last bet with King high.

==========
Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, Q.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, 6 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4, 3, J (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) K (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Qd Qs (one pair, queens).
UTG+1 has 9c Ac (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 5.25 BB.

Again, playing too timid. I think the first couple hands scared me into thinking everyone was going to river me this session. That King scared me.

==========

That's it. It could've been better, could've been worse. It is what it is. I'm just glad I didn't lose $20 like it looked like I might there at the beginning.

Finish: $115.42
-$1.75 for 30 minute session
Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Suggestions and comments more than welcome, as you're now up to date.

The Mrs. and I both play under the same account, since I've blown all the money offered to me through Party Poker. I have some tiny amounts of money at other sites, but my problem is I get bored and start playing at higher limits than I should... then before I know it, I take a couple of losses and I'm wiped out.

The ultimate goal here is to actually be able to make some money at this... not enough to quit a job or anything, but enough to take out every so often and do something fun with.

Getting back to playing after a long break just reminds me how much I enjoy playing. Even when you're losing, as long as you're playing well and playing smart, it's a lot of fun.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Andrea had a tough time at the limit tables yesterday, dropping about $18 to dip under $100 total.

Then last night we each played in a multi-table tourney (MTT)... she a $1 one, I a $3 one.

In mine, I doubled up early thanks to holding AA against a very aggressive large stack... but about 20 hands later I gave the 3,000 in chips I just got to someone else when they called my 4xBB raise with 78o when I was holding QQ.... the flop held 2 8's. I knew I was being trapped, but I wouldn't have folded to a large bet anyway, so I just went in. I struggled to get some ground back, then ended up crapping out about midway through the tourney with KJo on a steal attempt... when the same guy called me with 78o again, and hit an 8.

Andrea, however, did much better than I. She actually was very patient, and was able to go from struggling around 2,900 chips to holding nearly 10,000 chips in a short time with some good hands. Then, later, she got moved and found AA early on at the table. She made the min. raise (blinds were 200/400 at this time), and the player behind her made another min. raise to 1200. The blinds both called, and she went all-in. The re-raiser and the BB called her... the BB had Q9 of hearts. Good call for over 10k chips there, schmuck. Andrea jumped to over 42,000 chips at that point, and had over 2 1/2 times anyone at the table at that point.

She didn't get much for the next 45 minutes... then I predicted "I bet you'll go out on something like AK when you don't improve." She gave me a look, and then LITERALLY THE VERY NEXT HAND was dealt AK. She raised, got called... and gave away about 12k chips when the caller had KK. That was the beginning of the end. The final hand came when she still had about 20,000 chips and the blinds were still a reasonable 1,000/2,000. She got 10-10 in middle position... re-raised the player behind her all-in... he called with QJo... flop had a 10, but it was 8-9-10, and she was out in 159th (out of 2280) after flopping trips, but being beaten by a straight.

Tourney fees paid: $4
Tourney winnings: $1.59
Acct. balance: $95.26
Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

Start: $95.26

Man, I picked a couple of tight tables today. It was like trying to get blood from a stone to get any money out of these people. I was picking up virtually no hands, but the ones I did get, no one would call my raises with. I got AA 3 times, but aside from that, I got QQ once and AK-AJ only 3 or so times. I think I actually did well to lose so little considering how hard it was to get anybody to call a freakin' bet.

Anyway, here is the hand-picked HAND OF THE DAY.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 4.
7 folds, SB completes, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T, 5, Q (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 7 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 9 (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ac 4d (flush, ace high).
SB has Kc Qs (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 12 BB.

I definitely lucked out, but considering that I had my AA beaten once and top pair beaten several other times, I figure it evens out.

I can only attribute the fact that I merely lost $5 to my new SUPER-TIGHT! strategy. Otherwise, this would've been a total bath.

Finish: $90.51
-$4.75 for session
Old 07-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Brief session this morning, as I have some work to do... but then I'm going to play in 2 tourneys simultaneously in a bit, a $6 and a $2. I want to at least make enough to cover those fees.

Start: $90.51

HAND OF THE SESSION

We'll make it 2, actually.

The very first hand I played:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
4 folds, Hero (poster) raises, MP3 3-bets, CO caps, 3 folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) J, J, K (3 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) J (3 players)
Hero bets, MP3 raises, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ac Ks (full house, jacks full of kings).
MP3 has 7c 7s (full house, jacks full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 14.25 BB.

==========

And the last one:

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
4 folds, MP2 calls, 3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) T, 4, K (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) J (2 players)
Hero bets, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ad Ac (three of a kind, aces).
MP2 has Td Kc (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB.

Finish: $106.01
+$15.50 for 25 minute session

Time for the tourneys. I'll report back at their conclusion.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
Butter
Coordinator

Start: $106.01

$6 MTT ($5 + $1 fee), 284 entrants, top 30 pay

I get most of my initial 3,000 taken from me in around hand #15…

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (9 handed)

MP1 (t4265)
MP2 (t2690)
MP3 (t1860)
CO (t2320)
Button (t3765)
Hero (t3200)
BB (t2765)
UTG (t2960)
UTG+1 (t3235)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t40, MP1 calls t40, MP2 raises to t162, 3 folds, Hero calls t142, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls t122, MP1 folds.

Flop: (t566) A, 9, 6 (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t566) 4 (3 players)
Hero bets t350, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls t350.

River: (t1266) T (2 players)
Hero bets t600, MP2 is all-in t2178, Hero calls t1578.

Final Pot: t3444

Results in white below:
Hero has Ks As (one pair, aces).
MP2 has Td Ts (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: MP2 wins t3444.

Blinds are up to 30/60 by the time play gets back near me… I go all-in with AKo in first position… I have 2 callers. They show 99 and KTs. Flop brings a T and nothing higher, and I’m out in 241st place.

Nice job in the big pay tourney there. Not a great play by me on the 1st AK to not play it a bit faster, but I did get unlucky at the end of the hand.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

$2 MTT (no fee), 667 entrants, top 70 pay

My first real playable hand is about 15 minutes in...

Big Blind is t40 (10 handed)

MP1 (t2995)
MP2 (t1920)
MP3 (t1980)
CO (t6760)
Button (t2540)
SB (t3025)
BB (t3305)
UTG (t6992)
Hero (t2940)
UTG+2 (t9815)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J, J.
1 fold, Hero raises to t140, 4 folds, CO calls t140, 2 folds, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t440) Q, T, Q (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t240, CO calls t240, BB calls t240.

Turn: (t1160) J (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t1160) T (3 players)

For some reason, the converter doesn’t like the end of this hand… what happened was that the BB moves all-in immediately. I consider for about 20 seconds, then call. CO folds. I’m bet with any Q, as once again, slow-playing bites me in the ass. But, I lucked out here:

Hand results:
BB had 6c, 7c… he was on a busted flush draw.
I win with my Jacks full of Queens and more than double to over 6,000 chips.

Later on, this hand transpires:

Big Blind is t200 (10 handed)

UTG+1 (t10219)
UTG+2 (t4941)
MP1 (t2208)
MP2 (t6538)
MP3 (t7601)
CO (t3475)
Button (t2050)
SB (t4420)
Hero (t6640)
UTG (t10266)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, J.
3 folds, MP1 raises to t400, 4 folds, SB calls t300, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t1200) 2, J, 6 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t1808, (that puts MP1 all-in, he calls), SB goes all-in (2212 more), Hero calls t2212.

Turn: (t5220) T (3 players)

River: (t5220) Q (3 players)

Final Pot: t5220

Results in white below:
SB has 2c 2h (three of a kind, twos).
Hero has Kh Js (one pair, jacks).
MP1 has Jc Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: MP1 wins t5220.

I knew I shouldn’t have called that raise to begin with. I flopped pretty good, but even as I saw it I thought “danger, MP1 over there could have QQ or even AJ, and you’ll be screwed”. Even so, before those thoughts reach my fingers, I decide to put him all-in… then by the time the other guy goes all-in, I’m essentially committed to spend 2200 more to try and hit a K… little do I know that I was so badly beaten, or I would’ve folded in a heartbeat.

That was the last hand before the first break, and I now sit with 2200 chips, facing 150/300 blinds upon return.

2nd hand after the break, I open push all-in on the button with 2070 with AJo, and pick up the blinds to go to 2520.

I push again with QJs in MP, as the table has turned tighter. I get a call, and he’s got AA… I’m out in 261st.

Fail to cash in both tourneys, acct. stands at $98.01
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Played a couple more sessions, and am down one shiny quarter in 3 sessions since this last tourney.

The hand that has been plaguing me lately have been low-to-mid pocket pairs. I know, big shocker there. I tried to raise it the last several times I've played them. The only time it seems to work out is if everyone folds, which I guess isn't so bad. But raising with them from early position seems to be a recipe for disaster... and just calling with them from early position seems to invite a raise. I've probably lost more money in the past few sessions on 77 and 55 than I have on all other hands combined. I'd be up at least $5 if not for them.

Thoughts/suggestions? Should I just straight fold these pairs from early position at these types of tables because they're generally so loose? Or call but fold to a raise? I have been folding to a raise if I can't get heads up with the original raiser, knowing that pocket pairs will be behind.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Got a little cocky, had some problems, and managed to run the bankroll from over $100 down to around $55. Got discouraged, and stopped playing for a couple of days... but won $11 at 1 table in limit yesterday, and felt a bit better.

Last night, we both played in a tourney, Andrea in a $3 and I in a $1. Party Poker has changed their payout structure a bit... the $1 tourney usually gets 2,000-2,500 people in it. Whereas it used to payout to the top 220, now it pays to the top 300. I think they just cut the top prizes a bit, and are paying more places.

Andrea's $3 tourney went like this.... about 10 minutes in: find QQ in early position. Raise to $150 (blinds at 20/40). Player behind with a re-raise to 370. Andrea goes all-in. They call with... 99. Flop is 9-2-6. Sorry about that, but that's poker. It sucks sometimes, just like life.

My $1 tourney went a bit better. I managed to build to over 20,000 after the first 90 minutes. Then for the next 90 minutes, I didn't get a hand better than Ax-suited. I folded a seemingly never-ending procession of hands like T3, 48, and Q6. I tried to make 1 play, raising with a suited connector in late position... it got called by 4 players, and the flop was all over-cards of different suits, so I folded that after some heavy betting. Every time I try to represent some kind of hand, no matter how tight I've been playing, I seem to get called and beaten. Perhaps I'm not being aggressive enough, or perhaps I'm not picking my spots wisely.

At any rate, I pretty much fold through 3 levels of small incremental pay. $2.10, then $2.41, then $2.70-something. Finally, I have $4,200 with blinds of $1,500-$3,000 and get AQo on the button. I go all-in and get 3 callers. One of the big stacks who called pushes everyone else out on the all small card flop, then turns up AJo when everyone folds to the bet. Nothing higher than a 9 hits, and I quadruple to over $16k.

Next table, I run through the blinds with nothing again, then push with Q9c vs. a single raiser. I had about $10k left vs. a large stack, figured I would get called with a number of hands. He had KJ... I hit my Q, and more than double to around $25k.

At this point, the blinds are 2000/4000, with 100 antes, and I'm envisioning a resurrection to make the final table. There are only 88 players left out of 2,031, so I think one more double up and some solid play may get me to the final 30 or 40 at least, and a significant bump up to $7-9 or so.

2 hands after the Q9, I get JJ on the button. A number of callers... I go all-in to try and take it down. It's 25,200 with 4,000 blinds... everyone folds except the very last guy... he calls with A2o. A2! Board comes Q-9-Q-3.... wait for it.... A. I crap out in 87th place, and win a whopping $3.15.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

Today, I played in a $2 tourney for about 5 minutes. I vowed to be a bit more aggressive. I raise with K9s on the button and get the blinds. I raise with AQo and get 3 callers. Flop is A-J-T. MP bets, I raise, he goes all-in. I know I should've folded, but I don't. He has AK, and I'm essentially out. No re-raise of my raise with AK was confusing to me, but it was early so that's actually something I do quite a bit in hopes of trapping a smaller Ace. Nice play, me.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

Start: $58.62

I decide to fully get back on the horse one table at a time, after attempting some aggressive stuff, I wound up almost dunking the bankroll under $50. But my head is back on straight, and we're going back to tight... SUPER-TIGHT! pre-flop, but aggressive post-flop.

It works well. It helps that 2 seats to my left is a guy who is calling nearly every pot and nearly every pre-flop raise.

To wit:

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A, J.
1 fold, Hero raises, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 5 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T, 2, 6 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ad Jd (flush, ace high).
MP1 has 3s Ks (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.25 BB.

Bluffing all the way with King-high... nice one.

===========

But here is the official HAND OF THE SESSION:

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, 8.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5, 4, T (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6 (3 players)
UTG+2 bets, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) T (3 players)
UTG+2 bets, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below:
UTG+2 shows Ac Ah (two pair, aces and tens).
Hero has 6s 8s (flush, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.50 BB.

=============

After the hand, I uncharacteristically snark "nice slowplay" to the caller who let 5 people in the pot holding AA. I normally wouldn't say that, but something came over me. I got no response, nor did I deserve one. Couldn't fold a gutshot straight flush draw there, not with the 5 people in the pot pre-flop.

Finish: $69.75
+$11.13 for session

Last edited by Butter : 08-02-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

I made my 2 big winning hands count this afternoon. I was up and down for a couple of different, brief sessions, dropping back to almost $55 at one point.... but then I got these 2 hands towards the end of the day, and they made my day.

I present, a tie for HAND OF THE SESSION:

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, Q.
Hero raises, 5 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6, J, 6 (3 players)
BB bets, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6 (3 players)
BB bets, Hero calls, CO folds.

River: (6.75 BB) 4 (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below:
BB has Js Ad (full house, sixes full of jacks).
Hero has Qc Qd (full house, sixes full of queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB.

After this hand, someone says the guy I bet "is horrible". This is one of my first hands at a new table, so that's news to me.

==========
Preflop: Hero is SB with T, A. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, UTG+2 raises, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A, 3, A (4 players)
Hero checks, BB bets, UTG+2 raises, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) T (2 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ts As (full house, aces full of tens).
UTG+2 has Ah Js (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 15 BB.

Speaking of horrible players... the massive suckout here boosts me to a huge win, and a big + for the day.

Finish: $86.00
+16.25 for session, up $27.38 on the day
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

Started out this morning in a $1 tourney. I was playing well, had 8k chips with about 230 left out of 950, when a big stack got moved to my table. I needed to move up, but wasn't desperate. First hand with the mega-stack at the table, I see 88 UTG. I raise to about 1500 (blinds are 200/400). He calls in position, and the SB calls. Flop is 3-7-T mixed. I think about what the big stack could've called with, and figure maybe any Ace or KJ or something... I go all-in, which is about 6500 into a pot of around 5000... not a big overbet or anything. He calls immediately, and turns up KT suited to send me home in 223rd.

Then I lose $7 at the first limit table I play. Not great, I'm already down to under $80.

Then I move to another table about 1/2 hour later, and things pick up greatly.

Here are my big wins at the new table:

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
6 folds, CO calls, 1 fold, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5, J, A (3 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, CO raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A (2 players)
Hero bets, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ac Jc (full house, aces full of jacks).
CO has Jd Td (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 BB.

===========

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, T.
4 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 3, K, 7 (3 players)
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, MP2 raises, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4 (3 players)
BB checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T (3 players)
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Results in white below:
MP2 has Kc 8c (one pair, kings).
Hero has Kd Tc (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB.

=========

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7, 7.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, 4 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7, 9, 4 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 2 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Results in white below:
BB has Td 9s (two pair, nines and fours).
UTG+1 has As Ac (two pair, aces and fours).
Hero has 7d 7s (full house, sevens full of fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB.

I know calling raises with middle pairs at limit tables is a recipe for disaster... but I was losing with them last week, and this week they've caught fire.

============

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 5 folds, Hero raises, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T, 6, T (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 9 (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Jh Ah (two pair, jacks and tens).
UTG+2 has Ac 8h (one pair, tens).
CO doesn't show.
Outcome: Hero wins 7.25 BB.

Not sure if UTG+2 thought I was trying an out-of-position steal there or what.

===========

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, A.
Hero raises, 2 folds, MP1 calls, 6 folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6, A, K (2 players)
Hero bets, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets, MP1 calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Qs Ad (two pair, aces and sixes).
MP1 has Kh Tc (two pair, kings and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.75 BB.

MP1 here is the same guy that called me down on the previous hand.

The last 2 hands came in my last orbit, so I left very happy.

Finish: $104.50
+18.50 for session
Old 08-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

Just for fun, and because I like looking at stats, I download the free version of Poker Tracker and download my last 1,000 hands into it.

This is what I see:

VP$IP = 18.8%
Att. to steal blinds: = 23.21%
Won $ at SD% = 51.32%
PF Raise% = 8.90%
Win rate = 2.34 BB/100
Aggression factor = 0.94

AA is my best hand, which makes sense... but I notice that KQ was one of my worst. I cold-call with it far too often, and end up making nothing or just getting beat.

But I do realize that the sample I put in is way too small to be statistically significant.... especially considering that 66 is rated in my top 5 hands.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #25
Butter
Coordinator

By the way, I pretty much have no idea what most of these stats mean, but they're purty to look at.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

I had an extended session this morning that was full of ups and downs... I played 2 tables at once for the first time in over a week, since I took 2 straight nearly $20 losses doing so.

It started out bad again, and I couldn't figure out why. I was making the same plays I always made, just on 2 different tables at once, which isn't that hard to keep up with. Yet still after 20 minutes I was down almost $12.

I guess poker is just a game of ups and downs sometimes. I stuck with it, and over 2 hours finished just ok. I was up over $12 at one point, but still finished up a good bit.

Here are the early unsuccessful hands that had me biting my nails:

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, K.
Hero raises, 5 folds, SB calls, 1 fold.

Flop: (5 SB) 5, K, Q (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4 (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) J (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Results in white below:
SB has Ac Tc (straight, ace high).
Hero has Jh Kd (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 11.50 BB.

Not sure about raising with that hand in that position, but it would've worked if not for that meddling river.

============

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7, 7.
Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, 5 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J, 4, 4 (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 8 (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2 (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has 7c 7h (two pair, sevens and fours).
UTG+1 has As 5s (flush, ace high).
Button has 3d 3s (two pair, fours and threes).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 11.25 BB.

I guess I made the correct read here, but still ended up getting rivered. I suppose I shouldn't expect to win them all.... but I still do.

================

Those were at the table I lost money on... I left that table about 45 minutes in, and sat at another table, which I broke even at. This last table, I finished up $14 on. Here are a couple of highlight hands.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, 7. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
Hero raises, 3 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 7, 3, 2 (5 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, BB calls.

River: (10 BB) A (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ad 7d (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB.

Got lucky here, but at least one of these guys must've been on a club draw.

===============

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, K.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, 1 fold, Hero calls, 6 folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T, K, 9 (2 players)
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) K (2 players)
UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 3-bets, Hero caps, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 3 (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Results in white below:
UTG+1 has Ks Qs (three of a kind, kings).
Hero has Ac Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB.

===============

And here's the bummer part... had AA twice, KK once, and QQ once... all 4 times, the table folded to my raise. Got no action on my big hands, so it makes my winnings even a bit sweeter.

Finish: $112.75
+8.25 for session
Old 08-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Butter
Coordinator

Don't everybody fight to get your comments in all at once.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #28
bselig
n00b

I'm liking this dynasty, in the same boat. Sold a million play money chips for $12, now up to $86, just started playing tournaments the other day, placed in the money in 1 of 3. It can be devastating to get wiped out even once with that small a bankroll.
bselig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #29
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff, Butter. I can't play cash games well, for reasons I enumerated elsewhere, but it's still interesting to read.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bselig
I'm liking this dynasty, in the same boat. Sold a million play money chips for $12, now up to $86, just started playing tournaments the other day, placed in the money in 1 of 3. It can be devastating to get wiped out even once with that small a bankroll.

You can sell play money chips? Why would anyone buy play money chips, and which site was this?

EDIT: Apologies if that sounds condescending, but I truly had no idea there was a play chip market.

Last edited by Butter : 08-04-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #31
bselig
n00b

Not condescending at all, I'm not sure I get it either. I think one reason could be that it's hard for some people(like me) to get money onto pokerstars, so you can buy play money and then sell it for cash, with the broker taking both sides of the transaction. I sold mine on http://www.psplaymoney.com/.

And not to turn this into my dynasty thread or anything, but I just placed in another ridiculously low stakes tournament, have finished 3rd, 10th, 21st and 4th. They seem more entertaining then regular table play. Might move to low-stakes tournaments primarily if I can keep placing.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Me and Andrea played 3 MTT's Friday night, and busted out before the money in all 3, costing us $6 total (a $1, a $2, and a $3).

But this hand made up for it... with Andrea manning the controls:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 2.
6 folds, Button calls, 1 fold, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 6, 4, 5 (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, Button caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, Button caps, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, Button calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has 3s 2c (straight, six high).
Button has Ac 2d (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.25 BB.

She was more aggressive than I would've been, especially on the river when a full house became a real possibility. But as you can see, that guy was just an idiot. In fact, afterwards I encouraged her not to leave the table until he did, lest she let his money get away to someone else.

Finish: $118.25
+5.50 for session (+11.50 in ring game, -6.00 in tourneys)
Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

Rough weekend, and Monday. Started out nice on Sunday, running things up to $127+. Then we crapped out of 2 $6 5-table SNG's, and lost $10 at a ring game... losing the last $6.87 when I raised and re-raised with someone holding JJ on a board of T-3-2-7 rainbow. I was all in by the river, which was an A, and lost to ATo.

Down $22 on Sunday.

Then today, I decide to enter the $6 MTT. 330 people, top 40 pay. I am in middle chip position most of the way, then with 73 players remaining, I get KK in the BB. I have 6500 chips, blinds are 300-600. Button raises to 2500, he has about 18000 chips. I go all-in, he calls with AKo.

Board comes 3-J-7-A-8, and I'm out in 73rd place. Can't catch a break on the MTT's lately.

Then I sit at 2 tables at once with $10 each... I have no luck there either... I have top pair of Jacks beaten twice by overpairs... then I had my Aces cracked by A-4 of diamonds when the other player rivered a flush... I bet that one aggressively too, capping the turn when I was sure I had the best hand. Disappointment aside, I do suppose it was time I had my AA beaten, since I did it 2-3 times to others last week.

Lost $13.50 at the ring games, and another $6 on the tourney.

Like I said, rough weekend + Monday so far.

Finish $89.01
-19.50 for Monday morning play
Old 08-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

I decide not to get down about the losses of late, but instead resolve to build it back up.

And I do just that, to some degree, this afternoon. Once again, I opened at 2 tables with $10 each. After about 30 minutes, I was up to $20 on one and crapped out on the other.

Here is the crap-out hand:

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, A. MP3 posts a blind of $0.75.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 raises, 2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5, 7, 6 (3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) K (3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (8 BB) 5 (2 players) (Converter didn't like this part, but I bet, was raised, and called my last .75 all-in)

Final Pot: 8 BB

Results in white below:
UTG+1 has 4c 5c (three of a kind, fives).
Hero has Kh As (two pair, kings and fives).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 8 BB.

What could I do? I had $4.25 to start that hand, I couldn't let it go on the river.

==============

So, I crap out there and open another table for $10. I finish at that one with $12.50, but I keep rolling on the table where I had $20 up to this point... I finish there up over $20, thanks to hands like this one:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
4 folds, CO raises, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3, 9, 6 (3 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) J (3 players) (I check, it's bet, I raise, it's called for all-in)

River: (4.25 BB) K (3 players)

Results in white below:
Hero has 9s 9h (three of a kind, nines).
UTG+1 doesn't show.
CO has 7d Qd (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins 4.25 BB.

===============

Leading us to the HAND OF THE DAY:

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A, T.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, MP3 raises, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K, T, 7 (4 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP3 bets, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9 (3 players)
SB bets, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8 BB) A (2 players)

Final Pot: 14 BB

Results in white below:
SB has 9h Ks (two pair, kings and nines).
Hero has Ah Th (two pair, aces and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 14 BB.

Thought I was beat on the river when it was re-raised, but I was not. Considered raising the flop, but the losses of late weighed on my decision not to do so. Guess I should've.

Finish: $103.76
+14.75 for session
Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Alright, look. I'm getting pretty damn tired of going in with the best of it during a MTT only to come out on the losing end of things.

Here are the beats we took in tonight's tourneys.

Andrea, in a $3 MTT... AA raises pre-flop, gets called. Flop is 2-5-6... she goes all-in, gets called by 33. The 4 hits the turn and she's out.

Me, in a $1 MTT... KK raise pre-flop, it's re-raised. I go all-in. Re-raiser calls, shows AA, and I'm out.

Tonight, in a $5+1 10 player SNG, we're down to 3 handed... yes, 3 handed... I get KK, raise. SB re-raises, I go all-in. They call and turn up AA! WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Seriously, if anyone wants to calculate odds on that shit, please do.

The critical hand of the MTT came here for me... I'll have to do it all manual-like since the hand converter is down.

I have T5o in the SB. 2 callers behind me, so I go in just for value, 50 more to call as blinds are 50/100. BB checks, 4 players. Flop is 5h-Ks-Th. I have flopped 2 pair. I make a weak 100 bet, expecting a raise. I get it... 2 in fact. CO raises to 200, button to 300. Now I'm thinking someone has KT, but I have to stick with it. I re-raise to 700. Both players call.... so the pot is now 2500. Turn is 4c... I bet 1200, both players call. Now I'm thinking flush/straight draws. I'm down to 1000, both other players have similar stacks. river is Qh... making a flush. I check, hoping for the check down. It doesn't come, as the button goes all-in. I have to call, and the CO does as well.

CO shows Ah, Kd
Button shows Kh, Js
I win with 2 pair.

I knock 2 players out, essentially, and we're down to 5 handed after a couple more hands.

Then it goes and gets straight up weird in the final 4.

I'm in the SB in commanding chip position, and raise to 600 (blinds are 100-200) with JTo. BB raises to 1400, but I decide to take a flop. Flop is 2-T-T. Bingo. I check, BB bets over half his stack, I raise him all-in, he calls. He shows AA. No help for him, and we're down to 3, and I have 12000 chips to the other 2 players 4000 each.

The house starts to crumble when I re-raise all-in with AQs, and am called with TT... A ten hits the board, and now we have 2 players at around 8k, with 1 at 4k.

I get AA in the BB, and it gets folded to me, so I pick up the blinds. Woo-fuckin'-hoo.

Next hand is my KK... I just call from the SB, and the BB raises minimum. I raise to 1000, he raises to 2000, I go all-in. He calls, and shows AA. I'm down to under 3k.

About 5 hands later I go all-in (2312 chips) in the BB with 55. AA guy calls me with Q8h... naturally 2 8's hit the flop, and I'm out in 3rd. Weird finish, but after the $4 loss on multi-table tourneys, this gets us back to even on the night.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #36
Butter
Coordinator

This morning's freeroll, we're down to 176 of 690. I have 9300 chips, blinds are 200/400.

I get AA in late position. A raise to 1400 behind me and a call, I go all-in. Big stack on the button calls, as does raiser. Me and the raiser are all in. I have AA, Raiser has AQ, big stack has JJ.

Flop is 8-9-J, thanks for playing.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Lost with KK again... $6 MTT... blinds are 20/40, I raise to 200 on the button. 3 callers, which is AWESOME.

Flop is A-5-7, not so awesome. It's checked around. Turn is a 6... I bet 260 into the 800+ pot. MP2 folds, MP3 raises, CO goes all-in. I fold. MP3 calls.

MP3 had 89s, turned a straight, CO had 66, turned trips.

So, I knew someone had an Ace, but apparently they didn't. At least I limited my damage on that hand, and got my chips right back on the next hand with ATs.

But still, I am trying to remember a run where I lost so many times in a row with AA or KK. It's not coming to me.

Is it bad play by me, or just bad luck?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #38
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The Party Poker SNG's tend to be a crapshoot anyway...

I have just started reading this thread, but I wanted to mention that this is not true. It may feel like a crap shoot because you get to the point where you have to shove with 4 or 5 people left, but that isn't Party SnGs it's all SnGs. That is how SnGs are structured. It's actually far from a crapshoot. Skilled players can make very good money playing nothing but SnGs.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #39
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Lost with KK again... $6 MTT... blinds are 20/40, I raise to 200 on the button. 3 callers, which is AWESOME.

Flop is A-5-7, not so awesome. It's checked around.

Don't check that flop. Yes most likely someone has an A, but it isn't a sure thing. Checking is only giving someone with a draw or a smaller pair a chance to draw out on you for free. You have position so if your bet gets called you will likely be able to take a free card on the turn if you don't improve and if you get check raised on the flop you can release your hand pretty easily.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #40
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Here is the crap-out hand:

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, A. MP3 posts a blind of $0.75.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 raises, 2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5, 7, 6 (3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) K (3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (8 BB) 5 (2 players) (Converter didn't like this part, but I bet, was raised, and called my last .75 all-in)

Final Pot: 8 BB

You absolutely have to 3 bet that hand preflop. You have a monster hand and you have position. The rest of the hand looks good although the flop bet would have been even better if you had 3 bet pre.

Quote:
Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
4 folds, CO raises, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3, 9, 6 (3 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) J (3 players) (I check, it's bet, I raise, it's called for all-in)

River: (4.25 BB) K (3 players)

Heads up you should raise 99 preflop here too even though you are out of position. Your opponent has shown no strength so you likely have the best hand and he is apparently short stacked so he can't even hurt you that much if he does have a hand.

Quote:
Leading us to the HAND OF THE DAY:

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A, T.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, MP3 raises, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K, T, 7 (4 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP3 bets, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9 (3 players)
SB bets, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8 BB) A (2 players)

Final Pot: 14 BB

You flop a VERY strong draw on the flop. It's possible your Ts are already good, but if not you likely have 14 outs. You have a huge equity edge here. You also have fantastic position relative to the preflop raiser for jamming this pot. Check raising the flop is the best play here. You have an edge of every bet that goes into that pot ont he flop so you want as many of them to go in as possible. The rest of the hand is fine.

Last edited by primelord : 08-08-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #41
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the tips, primelord! Much appreciated.

As for your SNG comment, I guess I'm not that skilled. I can usually get into the top 3 once out of every 3 times or so, but I don't place 1st quite enough to make them profitable. I was close last night, though, as detailed above.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #42
Butter
Coordinator

This afternoon started out frustratingly... I decided to try a 5-table $5+1 SNG.

I guess I should know by now that either I completely suck at multi-tablers, or I am on a prolonged bad stretch in them. Still can't figure out which. But suffice it to say, I can't win a coin flip to save my life.

In this one, we're down to 15, with the top 7 paying. I have 3200 in chips, I need to move up to make the money. Blinds are 150/300. I am in the BB. I get AKo. Big table stack raises to 1500, I move all-in. He calls and shows 10-10. Flop is K-2-T, and it's thanks for playing yet again. Although to be fair, earlier in the tournament I did beat KK with AJ, but that wasn't an all-in situation. I called a standard raise from early position, and check-raised when an Ace hit the flop.

HOWEVER, that being said, it looks like I need to play more ring games, and less tourneys. Maybe I need to play some limit tourneys or something, because I have been on a roll. If not for the $12 I essentially threw away... well, I'd be up a lot. You'll see.

I did my standard 2-table open at $10 each. I had already won about $15-20 earlier today, but blew most of that on the above 2 tourneys at $6 each.

I'm just going to let the hands speak for themselves. On one of the 2 ring game tables, the deck was hitting me in the face. There's one loss in here, and that would be from the other table.... you pick which one!

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, 4. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
5 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 5, 4, 4 (3 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.75 BB) A (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

River: (4.75 BB) 4 (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Js 4h (four of a kind, fours).
MP3 has 3h 7s (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 6.75 BB.

=============

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A, 9.
2 folds, Hero calls, 6 folds, BB checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) Q, T, 6 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (1.25 BB) Q (2 players)
BB bets, Hero calls.

River: (3.25 BB) 7 (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Results in white below:
BB has Th 7d (two pair, queens and tens).
Hero has Ac 9c (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.25 BB.

===========

HAND OF THE DAY!

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5, 5.
UTG calls, Hero calls, 3 folds, CO raises, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A, 5, Q (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, CO raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) K (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks, CO bets, UTG calls, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, UTG folds, Hero caps, CO calls.

River: (17 BB) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets, CO calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has 5s 5d (four of a kind, fives).
CO has Kc Ad (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 19 BB.

===========

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5, 4.
2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5, 5, Q (5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO bets, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets, CO calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets, CO calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Results in white below:
CO has 9s 9c (two pair, nines and fives).
Hero has 5h 4c (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.50 BB.

=================
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero raises, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 7, A, A (3 players)
SB checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J (2 players)
MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 3 (2 players)
MP1 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below:
MP1 has 8s Ts (one pair, aces).
Hero has Kd Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.50 BB.

==============

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9, 8.
UTG calls, 4 folds, Hero calls, CO calls, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7, J, T (5 players)
SB bets, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 2 (3 players)
SB bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, SB folds, UTG calls.

River: (11 BB) 2 (2 players)
UTG bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Results in white below:
UTG has Ts Tc (full house, tens full of twos).
Hero has 9h 8h (straight, jack high).
Outcome: UTG wins 13 BB.

I just knew he had made a full house on that last card... dammit!

Hard to complain about it after the day I had, though.

Finish: $143.03
+39.27 for day... +51.27 for ring games, -12.00 for tournaments
Old 08-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

We finished down $4 again last night after crapping out in 2 tourneys. I was never really in my $1 one, and Andrea made it to the last 150 or so in her $3 tourney before losing out about 40 spots from the money thanks to bad advice I gave her (which was "push with A9o on the button!" The lone caller aside from the blinds called her and had 10's. Oops. Sorry. Don't mind me.)

Anyway, I start today at $139.03.

I win a bit at a ring game before moving on to the great double tourney set-up Party Poker has at 9:40/9:45... which is a $6 tourney, then a $2 one.

The $2 one doesn't last long, as I am busted against a bluffer when he actually shows a good hand after showing 2-3 raggedy ones and raising most pots. I have A6, he had J4, flop was A-4-4. He bet some amount, I raised him, he went all-in, and I called.

However, the $6 one... well, that one went a bit better.

$6 MTT - 355 entrants, top 40 pay
Finally, I get to write a summary! I've been waiting to actually cash in one of these before doing it, but here we are.

I didn't win a pot for the first 25 minutes. Then:

Big Blind is t60 (10 handed)
Hero (t2470)
MP1 (t2041)
MP2 (t3510)
MP3 (t6868)
CO (t3087)
Button (t12458)
SB (t3920)
BB (t10)
UTG (t4536)
UTG+1 (t9628)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q, J.
2 folds, Hero calls t60, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t195, 1 fold, CO calls t195, 2 folds, Hero calls t135.

Flop: (t675) Q, 3, 3 (4 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets t300, CO folds, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t1275) J (3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: (t1275) 4 (3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets t675, Hero calls t675.

Final Pot: t2625

Results in white below:
BB has Ac Td (flush, ace high).
Hero has Qh Jh (two pair, queens and jacks).
MP2 has 8s 9s (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins t2525. BB wins t50.

MP2 was on a total bluff there, and I almost bought it... especially after the 4th club came out. I lucked out here a bit, maybe.

=============

Big Blind is t100 (9 handed)
Hero (t3555)
UTG (t2730)
UTG+1 (t13996)
MP1 (t2692)
MP2 (t4680)
MP3 (t6251)
CO (t10)
Button (t4716)
SB (t9898)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 8.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to t250, 1 fold, MP2 calls t250, 2 folds, Button calls t250, 1 fold, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t1050) K, 3, 8 (4 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets t200, Button calls t200, Hero raises to t1200, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls t1000, Button folds.

Turn: (t3650) A (2 players)
I go all-in here... MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t3650

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins t3650.

===========

Big Blind is t300 (10 handed)
Button (t15340)
SB (t9252)
BB (t9058)
UTG (t7535)
UTG+1 (t11422)
UTG+2 (t1870)
MP1 (t2160)
MP2 (t9392)
Hero (t5480)
CO (t4999)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
3 folds, MP1 raises to t600, 1 fold, Hero raises to t2100, 4 folds, MP1 goes all-in for t60 more, Hero calls t60.

Flop: 8, 2, 8 (2 players)

Turn: 3 (2 players)

River: 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: t4770

Results in white below:
MP1 has Kh 9h (one pair, eights).
Hero has Qh Qc (two pair, queens and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins t4770.

==================

We're down to about 110 players at this point.

Big Blind is t400 (9 handed)
CO (t20180)
Button (t9488)
Hero (t7690)
BB (t17723)
UTG (t12514)
UTG+1 (t6440)
MP1 (t14376)
MP2 (t9558)
MP3 (t9936)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
3 folds, MP2 raises to t1300, 3 folds, Hero calls t1100, 1 fold.

Flop: (t3000) 6, 5, 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets t1025, Hero calls t1025.

Turn: (t5050) J (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets t400, Hero goes all-in, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t5450

Results in white below:
No showdown.

Bumps me up to nearly 11,000 chips, but there's still lots of work to do.

===========

I move all-in on a King high flop with AKo a bit later after having a raise to 1700 on 200/400 blinds called by 2 players. I win that pot and move up to 13,500.

I am picking off the blinds and antes every so often with hands like ATo and 44, but am holding steady at around 11-12k chips, as the blinds are up to 400/800 with 25 antes.

Possibly my most dangerous move of the day here:

Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed)
SB (t33932)
BB (t21469)
Hero (t10590)
UTG+1 (t57908)
MP1 (t20720)
MP2 (t101832)
MP3 (t10986)
CO (t20756)
Button (t32967)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, Q.
Hero calls t1200, 5 folds, Button raises to t2400, 2 folds, Hero calls t1200.

Flop: (t4800) 7, A, Q (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t3061, Hero calls t3061.

Turn: (t10922) A (2 players)
I move all-in immediately here, and the Button immediately folds.

Final Pot: t10922

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins t10922.

Bumps me to over 18,000 chips, a fairly safe place to be as the money approaches. I actually also win the next 2 hands in the blinds when I bet a couple of draws and low pairs... this pushes me to over 21,500 in chips.

I cruise into the money, and am fluctuating between about 17k and 21k in chips. The leader is at around 200k, but I'm about middle of the road with under 40 left, so I am optimistic about where I can finish here.

=============

I get moved to Table 1 which holds the #2 stack of the tourney with over 130k when I arrive... I'm at 17k and am 3 seats to his right, which isn't great, but it could be worse. Plus I notice that he seems fairly tight.

Big Blind is t2000(9 handed)
Button (t40135)
SB (t82203)
Hero (t17026)
UTG (t18568)
UTG+1 (t10428)
MP1 (t130449)
MP2 (t2594)
MP3 (t7887)
CO (t12149)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 8.
7 folds, SB raises to t3000, Hero calls t2000.

Flop: (t8450) T, 5, 2 (2 players)
SB pushes all-in immediately, and I call with my spade draw and backdoor straight chances. I'm hoping he's not paired up here, and I was right.

Turn: 2 (2 players)

River: 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: t34577

Results in white below:
SB has As Qd (one pair, twos).
Hero has 7s 8s (flush, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins t34577.

I double up here, and it's the beginning of the end for the SB I played on this flop. He ends up 20th.

The last premium hand I get is KK in middle position. I raise to 6k, and everyone folds. People are dropping fairly quickly since the money has been made, and before we know it, we're down to 2 tables.

I drop a good bit of money waiting for some decent cards, but mostly I fold a seemingly endless procession of 49, K5, 6T and the like. The 2 hands I did play I completely missed the flop and had no realistic shot at the hands (A6s, and 9Ts - both on the button). Before long, with the blinds going up to 2000/4000, I'm down to 10,000 in chips and getting desperate. However, by folding and being tight, I have moved up 2 more slots in the money, and we sit with 13 players left. If I make the final table, it's another bump of about $5, then each slot moves up from there quite a bit.

===============

Big Blind is t4000 (6 handed)
SB (t60510)
Hero (t10190)
UTG (t189040)
MP (t19464)
CO (t257252)
Button (t16072)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, T.
4 folds, SB completes, Hero moves all-in, SB calls.

Flop: 8, A, J (2 players)

Turn: A (2 players)

River: 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: t20780

Results in white below:
SB has 9s 7h (one pair, aces).
Hero has Ad Tc (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins t20780.

With the win, I last past 2 more players, and we're down to 11.

=============

Big Blind is t4000 (6 handed)
MP (t56720)
Hero (t16580)
Button (t191340)
SB (t15164)
BB (t256952)
UTG (t15772)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J.
1 fold, MP raises to t12630, 3 folds, Hero moves all-in for t16480, MP calls t3850.

Flop: 7, 8, Q (2 players)

Woo-hoo!

D'oh!

River: A (2 players)

Final Pot: t39560

Results in white below:
MP has Ad Jc (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has Js Jd (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: MP wins t39560.

I definitely would've made the final table if I could've had that one hand hold up. There were at least 3 others in the tourney who were hurting, and I think I could've made it to at least 8th... but hey, I did pretty well here. I'm happy with the finish, and my play overall.

Finish 11th out of 355 - Win $21.60
Final bankroll: $156.96

+13.93 total, +7.60 in tourneys, +6.33 in ring games
(I lost $6 on another SNG when my AK lost a coin flip)
Old 08-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #44
bselig
n00b

I've basically been playing nothing but the 45 seated $1 tournaments since my last post here, and I'm down slightly on them. I can make money pretty consistantly on the low stakes table games, but the problem is they're just incredibly dull compared to tournaments.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #45
Butter
Coordinator

2 hands cost me and Andrea about $20 last night. Andrea crapped out of 2 SNG's, then the 3rd was a dogfight.

She went all-in with 68o 4 handed, and ended up sucking out on AA with a straight. But then after it got down to 3 handed, the tables turned on her and she lost with KK to K5 when 2 5's hit the board. The nice part about it for the K5 guy was it was the same guy she beat with the 6-8. Still, 3rd place is good enough for $10. But if she had won that hand, the other guy would've been down to 100 chips and she would've been in great position to win, which would've been $15 more.

Then, I am playing a the 8:05 $1 tourney at the same time. This tourney always has between 2,000 and 2,500 participants. After 1/2 hour I'm down to about 1600 chips (from the 3000 starting chips) and figuring on ways to exit gracefully. Then I actually start playing well and picking up some hands.2 of my favorite hands were:

I had QQ in late position with about 16k in chips. I raised to 2500 (blinds were 300/600). I got 3 callers. Flop is K-Q-J, 2 diamonds. UTG goes all-in for about 9k. I go all-in, and the table folds around. He shows J-T... river is a J, giving me the full house and putting me into the table lead at 33k.

After losing a hand or 2, I'm down to about 26k. Then, I get 99 in the SB. The CO raises to about 2500 (blinds are 400/800 now), and I just call. Flop is J-4-8, 2 diamonds. I decide to put the pressure on and go all-in. I figure the CO is on a weak Ace or something like that because he's been raising a lot. He doesn't insta-call, which indicates to me right away that he does not have a Jack. He thinks for about 20 seconds, then calls and shows K-8 of clubs. No help for him on the turn or river, and I move up to 53k and am the dominating table leader.

Top 300 pay, and we're already down to under 150 at this point. I still have 50k or so chips as the blinds are now 1000/2000. I am being VERY patient, including folding KQs in the SB, when 2 players behind me raised and re-raised... turned out it was AK v. 77, and I would've knocked them both out when a Q hit the flop. But still, that's a good fold.

Then I finally get a good hand I'm hoping for action on: KK. Player behind me with 35k chips raises to 7800. I re-raise to 25k. Everybody folds, and the player behind me thinks on it for a LONG time, and goes all-in. I call, and I get the dream scenario... he has KQ.

But of course, the flop comes Q-Q-4, and he knocks me down to under 13k. With blinds at 1500/3000 after a couple minutes, I end up going all in with KJ, running into KQ, and watching no help come for me.

I go out in 138th, and win $2.94. If I win that KK hand, I would've been among the tournament leaders, and definitely primed to make at least the last 20, which would've paid me at least $10-15.

So, that sucks. But it could've been worse I guess. But I would rather lose with KK to AA and just chalk it up to bad timing than lose when I was in such a dominating position like that. It kept me up last night. Well, for a few minutes anyway.

Finish: $150.90
Lose $6.06 total by losing 2 SNG's outright, and making $12.94 on a total of $19 in tourney fees
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bselig
I've basically been playing nothing but the 45 seated $1 tournaments since my last post here, and I'm down slightly on them. I can make money pretty consistantly on the low stakes table games, but the problem is they're just incredibly dull compared to tournaments.

My wife thinks the same thing... she says she enjoys playing the sit n go's because she finds the no-limit aspect very exciting, but also likes that she's only risking $6, as opposed to a no-limit cash game, where you could put up well more than that on one hand and lose rather easily. I think she finds limit ring games quite boring.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #47
Butter
Coordinator

Tried a $6 limit tournament this morning. 260 entered, top 30 paid. I was among the table leaders most of the tourney until the deck went cold for me. By the time the blinds were 200/400, I had 7600 chips or so. I got JJ in the SB and called a raise. Flop was 8-9-J. It was bet, I just called planning to raise the turn. Turn is a 3h, I check raised, and there are still 2 opponents. I figure to make a crapload here as long as the river isn't a Q or a 7. The river is Qh. I bet out, am raised, call it and see the heart flush with AJ.

I go down to 3500 chips, get JJ again 2 hands later... raise it, have 1 opponent who called me with A8... I bet and raised it all the way, but 2 8's hit the board and I was out in 94th.

But I think I did well for my first limit tourney. I think I will play that one again sometime. If not for a couple of semi-unlucky turns there, I would've had well over 15k chips heading towards the money, which would've let me play my preferred game.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #48
Butter
Coordinator

After some more unsuccessful tourney appearances, our bankroll drops below $140.

I had a good roll going this morning in the 10:40 $6 MTT... with about 400 of the field of 1050 or so gone, I got QQ. I raised to 450 with 50/100 blinds. The player ahead of me goes all-in... the caller directly behind me goes all-in. This had been a fairly loose table where I had picked up some good hands to get up to 5k in chips, but the guy behind me has me covered. I decide to go for it, figuring to be in great shape if I win, going to over 11k in chips. I call, big stack behind me has 66, small stack ahead of me shows ATs. I'm in good shape. At least I was until the 6 hit the turn. Flippin' trips. Still, I am just a few bad breaks from being a consistent MTT money finisher. Maybe I need to stop going all-in with hands like QQ and KK and try to play them after the flop. I suppose not, but it's frickin' frustrating.

But then this afternoon I make up for things with a solid run at one .50/1 limit table.

Here are some choice hands from that session:

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K.
7 folds, Hero raises, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) J, 2, 8 (2 players)
Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets, BB folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ah Kd (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 6 BB.

==================

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, Q. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, 2 folds, Button 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 3, 7, A (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 6 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, Button bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ks Qd (high card, ace).
Button has 9h Jc (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.75 BB.

I make a good read there... his final bet just felt like a steal attempt, and I was right.

=================

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, T.
UTG raises, 7 folds, Hero calls, 1 fold.

Flop: (5 SB) 8, 9, J (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls.

Results in white below:
Hero has Qc Ts (straight, queen high).
UTG has Ks Kd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 BB.

Nothing like flopping a straight.

===============

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP1 raises, 2 folds, CO calls, 1 fold, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K, J, 2 (6 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 7 (5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 3 (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, Hero 3-bets, UTG caps, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Jd Jh (three of a kind, jacks).
UTG has 3s Kh (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 22.50 BB.

====================

In this next hand, I'm up against the same guy I just beat out that last hand. He couldn't have liked me much by the end of things.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, Q.
3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, CO calls, 1 fold, SB calls, 1 fold.

Flop: (7 SB) 2, 9, Q (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB folds, Hero raises, CO calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K (2 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, CO caps, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Qd Qc (three of a kind, queens).
CO has 4d Kc (two pair, kings and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.50 BB.

=================

After that hand, I dropped $10 at that table, and another $5 at another table.... I was over $170 at one point, but still finish way up for the day.

Not sure what I started at, but I think I finished up about $20 here.

Finish: $157.28
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #49
Butter
Coordinator

We actually dropped below $120 on Saturday this weekend, then last night got above $165. Andrea has been tearing up SNG's, finish 2nd/2nd/1st in her last 3. I have been about even in ring game action of late. I have been doing well in MTT's, finishing in the money in about 50% of the last 10 tourneys played... and frankly, with these crazy $1/$2/$3 Party Poker MTT's with 1500-2500 entrants, it's not easy to navigate the minefields. Now, my goal is to not just make the money, but to start finishing a bit higher up than I have been.

Anyway, today I sat at 2 cash tables at about 3:15. After about 20 minutes, I'm down $5. Then, I get 2 raising hands in the CO position... In the middle of both hands, some guy comes in my office and wants to talk work. Well, what am I going to say? "Get the fuck out of here you fucking fuckhead!" came to mind, as well as faking a fainting spell. But in the end, I helped him with what he wanted, came back to the tables, and found myself down over $10 total.

I left one table that I was down $9 at, and replaced it. I ended up about even there, which meant I needed to make hay at this 2nd original table. Which I did.

It was beautiful. I was running over the table. See for yourself:

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, A. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
1 fold, UTG+2 calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, 3 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9, 3, 4 (4 players)
UTG+2 checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) J (4 players)
UTG+2 checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, UTG+2 folds, MP3 3-bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls.

River: (14.75 BB) K (3 players)
MP3 checks, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Results in white below:
BB doesn't show.
MP3 has Ts Qs (flush, queen high).
Hero has Ks As (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.50 BB.

==============

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7, 8.
5 folds, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7, 5, K (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 folds, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 6 BB.

==============

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
7 folds, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A, 9, 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

River: (8 BB) T (2 players)
Hero bets, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Kc Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 9 BB.

==================

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, 6.
UTG calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2, 2, T (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

Results in white below:

=================

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4, 4.
4 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, 1 fold, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6, T, 9 (3 players)
BB checks, CO bets, Hero raises, BB folds, CO folds.

Results in white below:

=================

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, J. Hero posts a blind of $0.75.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero (poster) checks, 3 folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9, K, 9 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 2.50 BB

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins 2.50 BB.

=================

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8, 8.
1 fold, Hero raises, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold.

Flop: (7 SB) A, 2, A (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T (2 players)

River: (6.50 BB) 2 (2 players)

Results in white below:
Hero has 8s 8c (two pair, aces and eights).
MP3 has 6c 6s (two pair, aces and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.50 BB.

================

It was great. I finish up nearly $10 total, even after taking a $9 loss on that other table.

Finish: $174.38
Old 08-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #50
Butter
Coordinator

Andrea won her 2nd straight SNG last night, while I bubbled out in the 7:30 $10+1 MTT... finishing 250th or so out of 1,200-ish folks, when 150 made the money.

That is a net of $8, which put us over $180 for the first time.

Today, there have been company bigwigs all over the place, including one temporarily occupying the office directly across from me. When they went into their big meeting, I went into a $5+1 SNG of my own. My thinking here is, of course, "well, if she can win these, so can I."

Almost true.

View the crucial hands of my tourney.

Big Blind is t100 (10 handed)
CO (t1430)
Button (t2538)
SB (t1750)
BB (t926)
Hero (t1840)
UTG+1 (t3924)
UTG+2 (t1850)
MP1 (t2525)
MP2 (t341)
MP3 (t2876)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, A.
Hero calls t100, 5 folds, MP2 is all-in (t341), Button calls t341, 2 folds, Hero calls t241.

Flop: 3, J, A (3 players)
Button bets t100, Hero raises to t350, Button is all-in (t2097), Hero calls all-in (t1149)

Turn: 4 (3 players)

River: T (3 players)

Results in white below:
Hero has Jh Ac (two pair, aces and jacks).
MP2 has 2s Ah (one pair, aces).
Button has As Js (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: Button and Hero split.

MP2 is out, our first casualty.

===============

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed)
MP2 (t541)
MP3 (t3806)
CO (t3210)
Button (t326)
Hero (t1586)
BB (t1791)
UTG (t2050)
UTG+1 (t3769)
MP1 (t2921)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 7.
2 folds, MP1 calls t100, MP2 calls t100, MP3 calls t100, 2 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t500) 6, 5, J (5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 bets t229, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t229, Hero calls t229, BB folds.

Turn: (t1187) 4 (3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets t297, MP3 raises to t594, Hero moves all-in (t1257), MP1 folds, MP3 calls t663.

River: K (2 players)

Final Pot: t3998

Results in white below:
Hero has 8c 7c (straight, eight high).
MP3 has 5d Jh (two pair, jacks and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins t3998.

=============

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed)
Button (t882)
SB (t3010)
Hero (t3798)
UTG (t2417)
MP1 (t3729)
MP2 (t4269)
CO (t1895)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, Q.
1 fold, MP1 calls t200, 3 folds, Button moves all-in (t882), Hero calls t682, MP1 folds.

Flop: 3, T, A (2 players)

Turn: 8 (2 players)

River: 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: t2064

Results in white below:
Hero has Kd Qs (high card, ace).
Button has 9d 9c (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Button wins t2064.

Maybe a shaky call there, but I was definitely looking for the coin flip, and I got it. This could be where I get in trouble, as Andrea avoids coin flips like the plague, whereas when we get down to 5-6, I'm more than willing to put my chips in against smaller stacks with them. And I get hurt here.

==================

Big Blind is t200 (6 handed)
UTG (t2910)
Hero (t2716)
CO (t2017)
Button (t4098)
SB (t4069)
BB (t4190)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4, 4.
1 fold, Hero raises to t550, 1 fold, Button raises to t900, 2 folds, Hero calls t350.

Flop: (t2100) J, J, 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t375, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2475

Results in white below:
No showdown. Button wins t2475.

I really needed to move all-in there regardless of the flop... but I froze up and it cost me. I think he was on a higher pair than I was.

================

I lead the table in getting fairly aggressive, then this hand comes up:

Big Blind is t400 (6 handed)
BB (t3210)
Hero (t2516)
MP (t2817)
CO (t4698)
Button (t3669)
SB (t3090)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, A.
Hero calls t400, 2 folds, Button raises to t1000, 2 folds, Hero moves all-in (t2116), Button folds.

Final Pot: t4116

Results in white below:
No showdown. Hero wins t4116.

That puts me in 2nd place again, after making 2 bad plays earlier.

===================

And the penultimate hand:

Big Blind is t400 (6 handed)
SB (t2810)
Hero (t4116)
UTG (t2817)
MP (t4698)
CO (t2669)
Button (t2890)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, 9.
3 folds, Button raises to t800, 1 fold, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1800) 6, 3, T (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t614, Hero raises all-in (t3316), Button calls all-in (t1476)

River: 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: t5980

Results in white below:
Hero has Td 9c (two pair, tens and threes).
Button has Qc Ah (two pair, aces and threes).
Outcome: Button wins t5980.

That knocked me down to 1200 or so with the blinds at 200/400. I didn't last much longer, and get knocked out in 6th. The ripper is that I was 3:1 after pairing my ten, and I knew he would call my all-in with his 2 overcards. I knew all this, but still lost.

I did proceed to make back most of my fee at cash tables, despite having AA, KK, and JJ (twice) beaten.

Finish: $180.26