Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #251
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Me just now reading that last post: "Oh for Pete's sake.. we get nano, and of course there's a step up I have to argue for" *laughs*

Jeez lots of toys for the military.

Looking forward to seeing you use em!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #252
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Going to go for one of the bigguns this time.

Give us the Plasma Thrusters.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #253
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2225, Part 1

2225.01.01 -- The planetary edict Infrastrucure Projects is enacted on Bakangi by Gov. Deaconi Palmieri. No decision was necessary for this as it was the obvious choice. Bakangi is where most planetary building is going to happen over the next years -- it lasts a decade -- and there was nothing else that would provide nearly as much benefit. -25% construction costs and time for that duration.

01.18 -- Anomaly found in Haribas(outer arm), 15% failure risk so the Suggron will proceed.

04.01 -- Spaceport upgrade finished at Humboldt, and the first destroyer(Glashnur class) is begun. Basic hydroponics farm is started on Agglor.

04.04 -- The Micaw operation has completed Phase III(of four, apparently).

We should have control of the planet by early next year at the current rate. Also, structures on Irthius(inner arm) will be investigated by Deesh, 0% risk factor.

04.14 -- Camglaria survey complete(inner arm gateway). An outstanding location for society research is all that was found.

05.08 -- Energy station finished in Beznar. One more to go in the system.

06.18 -- Spectacular and incredible monoliths found in Irthius ...

Over a year's boon to engineering resulted here.

07.05 -- Pleione(inner arm) survey complete. A bit of minerals, mostly engineering research was found.

08.01 -- Hydroponics farm finished on Agglor. First Glashnur-class destroyer finished, a Borrer will be next. Our best estimate is that it's equal to about two and a quarter corvettes. Also, a 5th Assault Army is recruited.

09.02 -- Arctic Colonization research completed. This makes nearly a dozen more planets open to colonization, giving us many more options. Arctic planets are not as hospitable to us as ocean worlds, but they can still hold great value. This triggers a pair of briefings ...
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #254
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Research Director's Briefing: Dr. David Corperial

It's been many years coming, but Artic Colonization is a big-time breakthrough for the Collective. The Society Dept. still has enough stored-up research for accelerated study lasting over eight years at the present rate, though we'll use it up faster once the Micaw diversion is completed. Your options:

** Doctrine: Space Combat(Military Theory, 350) -- Increases Naval Capacity by 10%. We have presently used 12 of 32, but that gap will close with the current fleet buildup. 32 is more than enough for present needs -- but who knows when those needs will increase ...
** Xeno Diplomacy(Statecraft, 1314) -- Allows us to propose federations with other empires. We'll get into Federations which are their own unique and much-debated ball of wax, but for our purposes now it's enough to note that they require four members. We don't even have contact with three other empires yet! This is a good thing to have ... someday. Of course, we never know if we'll get another chance to research it before we need it ...
** Eco Simulation(Biology, 350) -- Unlocks the Planetary Edict: Farming Subsidies(+25% food for 10 years). This is useful in growing new colonies, though due to the cost of planetary edicts, it can't be used in widespread fashion. Perhaps in getting a new, potentially lucrative colony without a lot of arable land up and running it could be quite a thing though in the right situation. Also unlocks Hydroponic Farms II, an upgrade over our current farms. This would be useful basically everywhere. Even on a world almost fully developed like Humboldt, it would potentially allow an additional province to be used for research, mining, or energy instead of growing food to feed people.
** Regenerative Hull Tissue(Materials, 836/4905) -- About a sixth of the work here is already done by debris surveys. A small amount of the hull can be 'healed' each month without returning to a spaceport for the expense and time of repairs. The repair speed is unlikely to provide significant improvement in combat itself, but does allow for more time spent on fleet operations with the ability to repair in the field.

Dr. David Corperial, you are now on the clock.

Inquisitor's Briefing: Roe Laren

This is something others can also comment on of course, but the Inquisitor must set a couple of new priorities. Colonization is the subject. At this time, we can now colonize 14 unsettled planets -- 3 are ocean, 11 arctic. This number will only grow as our survey ships expand further. In view of this, it is no longer sensible to trouble the Inquisitor or the highest officials of the Collective with deciding where to go next on a case-by-case basis. That would be an absurd exercise at this point, and will only become more so.

Seen here is the inner galactic arm. It's worth noting that Pleione has been exploited by someone, probably the mysterious disappearing Omicrons. Note the yellow numbers indicating mineral and engineering development in this system, compared to the white ones in undeveloped space.

It seems to me that colonization efforts might be guided by a pair of priorities, though input from the Inquisitor and others on different considerations would be more than welcome.

** Economic Value -- The habitability and natural resources of a planet, along with those of the surrounding systems, would be evaluated here. How much treasure, raw materials, and research potential would a colony bring into the Collective?
** Strategic Importance -- For this aspect, the location of the system would be primary. Chokepoint systems that we must pass through be viewed as more important. Systems such as Wexellia and Dastamon that maintain our borders against the Kroll or some other empire, those that control the fairly rare crossings from one arm of the galaxy to another, and so on would be in view here.

A low/medium/high priority is in view here. Inquisitor Roe Laren, what say you -- both about these two guidelines, and any others you may wish to add? You are now on the clock, and other Collective officials are highly encouraged to add in their .02. This decision will not hold up progress right now, but it will be ripe soon. Under current established orders, we are probably still a few years away from the next colony ship going out.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #255
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Strategic importance trumps economic value in this squids opinion. Might it be suggested that economic at medium and strategic at high.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #256
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

Eco Simulation for mow.
DavidCorperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: colonization priorities

Lean strategic, but with an eye toward the ability to be ultimately economically viable on its on merit. What's "strategic" today may not be at some point down the line, so colonization targets shouldn't typically be ones that might end up as dead weight as conditions change.

Atypical situations might arise of course, but as a general rule of thumb this seems reasonable.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #258
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
Strategic importance trumps economic value in this squids opinion. Might it be suggested that economic at medium and strategic at high.

+1 for me.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #259
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2225-2226

2225.09.10 -- Haribas system in the outer arm completed. It's good for energy and physics research, not to mention that it has two of the three known unsettled ocean planets. They are two of four moons around the same planet actually ... and a third is continental, which we might be able to land someday.

09.16 -- Energy station finished in Beznar. Time for another trip outward to Ferathon, where more stations await. After that, there may be nothing else to build ...

09.23 -- Irthius(inner arm) surveyed. A bit of energy and minerals but nothing to get excited about.

10.01 -- Basic hyroponic farm begun on Eskogg.

11.23 -- Agglor, the one planet that does not yet have one, begins building a spaceport.

12.01 -- Second destroyer operational. JIMGA is up to **** and has gained the trait Architectural Interest. All building costs and times are further reduced by a fifth under his rule.

2226.02.01 -- Eskogg has finished the new hyroponic farm.

02.03 -- Collodor, in the middle arm(ours) has been surveyed with only a bit of energy discovered.

02.10 -- Jompron(inner arm) surveyed and found to possess a good amount of energy.

02.27 -- A pair of alien space stations, probably mining operations, have been discovered in Divassa(inner arm). We get to work studying this race, named the 'Pi Aliens', at once. Cannot help but wonder at the curiosity that they are in the same space the Omicrons are known to be -- could they be the same species?

Meanwhile the Jaschalgur moves on elsewhere ...

04.01 -- New defense armies recruited on Humboldt and Eskogg.

04.02 -- The operation on Micaw is complete:

The current population of 5 Shantari is now under our control. They are decidedly unhappy about the situation. When they found out they would be enslaved immediately, it didn't improve their mood. Here's the planet after they population was moved to optimal locations.

As mentioned, the Shantari are an avian race, adapted to an arid environment. We must also take a look at the situation on the Kroll border:

We have gained a new system(Liram), and a bit more of a buffer zone around Beznar and Dastamon, but Arrakis is unfortunately too far away to be affected.

This changes many things, some which were not immediately obvious. A new plan to be considered is incoming.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #260
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Governor's Briefing: JIMGA

One thing that standings out right away about Micaw is that no-one is nearly as fit, both in temperament and skills, to bring order and productivity to Micaw as is 72-year-old Governor JIMGA, aka the Iron Fist.

Governor JIMGA, do you accept reassignment from your current position on Humboldt(where things are pretty much wrapped up) to Micaw? You are now on the clock.

This is another one that is for everyone, but the Inquisitor has the final say.

** Initial Steps -- Per our standing policies, the five Shantari pops have been enslaved. A faction has arisen, a very popular one but with only one pop in support -- an Architreuthis by the name of Gelmar -- desiring emancipation for them. So far they are causing no trouble but this will need to be monitored. In any case, the Shantari will be permitted to reproduce, and all their offspring will be slaves as well. Slaves are 20% more productive in matters of food and minerals, but they do much worse than usual in energy and research. This means that Micaw is best used as a mining world, but we will still need to resettle some Architreuthis citizens to Micaw in order to handle any power plants or labs to exploit those resources. This is not a cheap process -- for us, 66.5 influence per resettled population.

All of that simply follows on from our existing imperial policies and does not need to be changed, unless we wish, for example, to change migration policy or disallow slave procreation, etc. They have their uses and there is no compelling reason I see to do so right now.

** Kroll Border Proposal -- To re-establish control over Arrakis, we will need to colonize Dastamon at this point. This would likely also allow us to disband the frontier outpost in Ambisia once the colony is up and running. It is time to form a new colony regardless, but this is the only way -- short of war -- to get our investment in Arrakis back from the Kroll who have poached it, so to speak. Dastamon is not a good colonization target on it's own merits, a size-12 arctic world. Most of our prospects are better, but regaining the Arrakis system and adding another border world to prevent Kroll expansion as their numbers grow would be the goal here.

Whether we colonize Dastamon or something else, we will reach six planets requiring us to form our first sector. Under this proposal, the systems 'below' the Grasping Claw Nebula, or 'inward' on this arm of the galaxy, would become collectively known as the Kroll Border Sector at that point. This would leave the four in the nebula(Humboldt, Bakangi, Eskogg, and Agglor) as our core worlds for the time being. The new sector would have ample resources from the two planets(Dastamon and Micaw) and our stations in the area to utilize.

Inqusitor Roe Laren, what say you to this plan? Shall we enact it as is, or would you like to change any part of it? You are now on the clock.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Governor's Briefing: JIMGA

One thing that standings out right away about Micaw is that no-one is nearly as fit, both in temperament and skills, to bring order and productivity to Micaw as is 72-year-old Governor JIMGA, aka the Iron Fist.

Governor JIMGA, do you accept reassignment from your current position on Humboldt(where things are pretty much wrapped up) to Micaw? You are now on the clock.

Wherever I may serve Boojie best is where I belong. Please order as many comforts of home packed as possible.
Reassignment to Micaw accepted

I would also like to request our military leaders consider sending a detachment of ground troops to the planet as soon as possible in order to discourage any ... malcontents. A stitch in time, and all that.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #262
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Engineering has noted there are lot of Not Trout in this galaxy.

Engineering has also noted we have given you many new ships, armor, and weapons.

Engineering wishes to see their marvels in action.

Get moving, fleet!

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-05-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #263
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Waiting on the destroyers to finish, and then we will be doing some ameoba and crystal swatting. Using it on other races, is up to the High Inquisitor.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #264
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, pretty much that. Destroyers take 3-4 months to finish, and the infrastructure(spaceports) is still in progress on most planets.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #265
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Crystals. Ameobas. Pfft!

I CHOOSE VIOLENCE!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #266
chesapeake
College Starter

The Kroll Border proposal is approved.

What is the cost of showing the Gelmar the error of their ways? Sometimes, nipping these things in the bud is the best course of action.

How many armies have we stationed on Micaw? Please direct the General to look into that.

With regard to settlement policy, priority 1 is taking the obvious strategic worlds we will need to maintain a well protected border. Certainly, a strong economic planet or group of stars that is in a strategic location would be the highest priority. But, absent those obvious targets, we must establish a strong border with the Omicron aliens and then protect the hyperdrive and other access lanes that could threaten our core worlds or provide us access with other regions of space in which to expand. As we secure our region of space, then we can spread the schools into the less strategic but economically strong areas.

I am curious to know what the primary strategic and economic targets for expansion look like. Not sure how easy that is to show as the map for us expands.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #267
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Probably the best way would be to summarize options in certain areas of space. That can be done without too much difficulty right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Crystals. Ameobas. Pfft!

I CHOOSE VIOLENCE!

You, sir, are a scientist. Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
What is the cost of showing the Gelmar the error of their ways?

I don't think we can. The 'Serfs' faction is automatically joined by all slaves, so I think it has to exist as long as there are slaves in the empire. I think any faction, to exist, has to have at least one free pop in it. The only I thing I can do under 'Manage Faction' is to emancipate the slaves(no). We don't have any problematic ethical changes popping up anywhere so I think it's just something to be monitored.

We have one army on Micaw along with three garrisons. I'll have some of the assault armies transferred there for the time being. That should help keep the peace, and it wouldn't hurt to have a couple on the Kroll border just in case.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #268
chesapeake
College Starter

I've not purged any pops in any of my own games, so I am unsure how the mechanic works. I was hoping that we might be able to purge that dissenting pop.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #269
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
You, sir, are a scientist. Just sayin'

And how can I take pride in my work without seeing it used to destroy nonbelievers?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #270
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I messed around with it a little more -- there is no 'dissenting pop' per se. Having slaves means having a Serfs faction. It has all five of the Shantari on Micaw in it, shows an Architreuthis leader but it doesn't actually have any of our species in it. There isn't anything to purge -- basically as long as we have slaves they're going to want to be freed.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
-- basically as long as we have slaves they're going to want to be freed.

How ... quaint.

As the old saying goes however "people in hell want ice water too, but ... "
Old 06-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #272
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty much. The good news is they don't actually have any effects(at least, until the devs figure out what they are going to do with slave revolts which will eventually be a thing again).

2226-27

2226.06.13 -- Apparently our neighbors think we are getting too big for our britches. The Kroll and Djomar have formed an alliance known as the Bright Compact. Both are considered to still be fairly equal to us in strength, though the Kroll are inferior in technology and the Djomar in naval capacity. Combined though, they would likely have more than enough strength to resist any attack we might make, at least right now.

They don't like us enough to be interested in us joining, though it's closer than it used to be.

07.01 -- Bakangi Spaceport begins construction of a new colony ship to be sent to Dastamon as part of the Kroll Border plan. The Humboldt spaceport is occupied with building up the fleet.

08.01 -- Deaconi Palmieri is up to ***. Additionally, the first Tapper-class destroyer is finished, one of each now in service. More will come, but the Nautilus Squadron is now ready to test itself against the space amoebas. First, it will be sent to the newly acquired Liram system on the Kroll border. Tolerating hostiles within our borders is not something the Collective is prepared to countenance.

08.16 -- It has been noticed that production on Humboldt dropped further than expected when JIMGA left. A new hydroponics farm is built to encourage a bit more growth, as the homeworld has stagnated.

08.28 -- We have deciphered basic communications with the Imperium of Thar'Biq, previously known as the 'Pi' aliens. Not the most aesthetically pleasing beings either.

They are collectivists like us, but are on the opposite end of the spectrum as fanatical materialists. Their holdings are rather ... sizable, centering on a nebula known as the Wimar drift near the galactic core. In terms of planets(9 to 5) and population(72 to 32) they figure to outnumber us about 2:1. They don't like us much either, considering us to be 'spiritualist fools'. We use our third embassy, as it should be enough to at least salvage decent relations.

I can also confirm they are not the same as the Omicron aliens, who hold Pleione, as it is not within Thar'Biq territory. That must be a neighbor of theirs on the inner arm of the galaxy.

** Note: In game terms I am quite sure this is one of the 'Advanced AI starts' -- i.e, they started out bigger and with more resources than us.

The plan of resettling some of our population to Micaw is not going to fly either. I tried it but forgot about the habitability penalty. Arid(and desert) worlds are basically the opposite of our preferred ocean environment and anyone we send there is going to be permanently outraged. That means half of normal production, starting up troublesome factions, cool stuff like that which we don't need. The best solution is to have some free Shantari to work the power plants and laboratories -- after all, there's no point in slavery for slavery's sake if we don't get some benefit from it. I emancipated a couple of pops on Micaw to have them work the power plants there. They still have lousy production since they're ticked off. Impression I get 'their slavery will not soon be forgotten' is that they will eventually return to whatever normal is going to be for a species that hates repression and a lot of other things that we stand for. We'll eventually figure out all the ins and outs of this whole intergalactic slavery thing, but it might take some time. Micaw is basically the 'test case'. The other thing about Micaw is we can't upgrade their farms and mines to our modern ones -- we have to replace them with our basic versions, then upgrade, a process which will require considerable time and resources. It's interesting, messing around with stuff I'd never done before in the game. I rather like the fact that this a lengthy investment, it'll be worthwhile esp. on such a big planet, but it will take some doing. I hadn't looked into this ahead of time, but the Shantari are also a Strong species, giving them a +5% mining bonus -- even better for slaves! They also breed quickly(30% faster) as fanatic pacifists. Really I think this is all going to work out very well for the Collective ... eventually.

09.01 -- Replacement mining network begun on Micaw. Additionally, the Micaw Popular Committee has been formed. This is a faction of separatists, the two emancipated Shantari pops, demanding independence. There are a couple of highly expensive ways of dealing with them but they would be fruitless at this point. Until the Shantari at the very least get over being recently conquered etc. we aren't going to be able to improve the situation much. A certain amount of unrest is pretty much inevitable. The assault armies are already in place, we'll see how it shakes out here for a while.

09.15 -- After spending most of the last quarter-century building stations here there and everywhere, the Mildrosch has finished it's last one for now in the Ferathon system. It is returning home.

11.12 -- Space amoebas in the Liram system engaged. They appear to have two types of armament. In addition to be rather enormous, even compared to our destroyers, they have a slow-moving projectile, a torpedo if you will, and large bluish balls of energy. Leads to a rather complex situation.

** Note: it turns out what I thought were torpedoes were actually strike craft -- small 'fighter'-type ships. Apparently the amoebas have the capability to 'launch' smaller organisms to fight for them.

12.2 -- One corvette has been lost. We've inflicted considerable damage and are going to win this fight ... but not without cost.

2227.01.01 -- About the same time, we finish off the space amoebas with the loss of just the one corvette. The Nautilus Squadron returns for repairs -- and one of our science ships is attacked by crystalline entities. It will need repairs as well, but managed to escape.

01.07 -- Mine finished on Micaw. It will be upgraded next.

03.02 -- Eco Simulation research completed. We will now be able to improve all of our farms on our more developed worlds. Right now that would be Humboldt, Bakangi, and Micaw. Bakangi begins upgrading one of its two farms immediately, while the other two planets have construction projects already ongoing.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #273
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I will be taking a closer look at what types of colonization options we have in a bit, but first this.

** Biodiversity Studies(Biology, 391) -- Unlocks Biolab I, a specialized research lab for Society research emphasis.
** Continental Colonization(New Worlds, 1467) -- Allows the colonization of continental-class planets. We have discovered several of these. Continental planets are our other 'second-best' planet type along with arctic, allowing for up to 60% habitability.
** Neural Implants(Statecraft, 978) -- Unlocks slave armies, and also the slave processing facility. This facility is expensive and takes two years to build, but increases food and mineral output of slaves by 15% on any planet. Clearly it would be used on a planet like Micaw optimally, but not much use on the rest of our worlds presently populated by free Architreuthis.
** Regenerative Hull Tissue(Materials, 836/5476)

Dr. David Corperial, you are now on the clock. What's next?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #274
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wonder what the amoebas technology is and if it can be repurposed.

Also, was this with our first destroyer with the fleet? Just curious if this was the battle test.

And if I had a say on the research director]'s decision, I would say Biodiversity or Continental
Old 06-07-2016, 03:12 AM   #275
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

Biodiversity Studies looks good.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #276
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Also, was this with our first destroyer with the fleet? Just curious if this was the battle test.

First three destroyers, one of each class. More will come. As for the amoebas, I don't know if we can research debris there but will investigate. There is debris -- but nothing showed up in the Situation Log.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #277
tarcone
Coordinator

I want in. How do i get in?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #278
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
I want in. How do i get in?

Step 1: Tell me that you want in. Got that part down it appears .
Step 2: Pick a name for your character/leader.
Step 3: Pick a career path(Governor, Scientist, Admiral, or General).

If you want a Scientist you can be put in the game right away. We have four Survey Captains, and 3 of them are available. For any other career path you would be put on the waiting list. In the next decade or two(2-3 weeks prob. IRL) there will be some of our initial leaders starting to die off, at least the oldest ones I would expect. They are just starting to get to the age where they can die of natural causes right now. So if you want a military or political character, it's likely you could get in before an oppressively long time has passed -- but not guaranteed. Intention is to promote to Research Director from within(Survey Captains) when that comes up, so if you go Scientist that is also a possibility.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #279
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm training my clone to take over the Fleet (Kidding)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #280
tarcone
Coordinator

I will be a scientist.

I will be known throughout the galaxy as Dr. Tarc

Old 06-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #281
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'm training my clone to take over the Fleet (Kidding)

Well considering I haven't done squat and might die off before I ever do

Seriously though, I think its a good thing I haven't been used yet.

Brian what happens when we do die off, we just sign up for another role?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #282
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep, if you want to.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #283
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've slacked a bit the last couple days and will be trying to gradually catch up. The timeline left a short period until our next event.

2227.03.14 -- Bagglosch up to ***.

03.16 -- Hydroponics farm finished on Humboldt. There are three awaiting upgrade and the first is started immediately.

04.02 -- Blue lasers research completed.

Research Director's Briefing: Dr. Frank Justyce

Note that I've switched from 'points required' to months here for the difficulty of the projects as I think that's more informative.

** AI-Controlled Colony Ships(Computing, 46 mo.) -- Increases the development of colonies by 25%(effectively reducing the one-year establishment time to 9 months).
** Gravitic Sensors(Voidcraft, 23 mo.) -- Unlocks Gravitic Sensors, which increase sensor range from 20 to 25 and also provide +2 to hit(I assume this is a tiny accuracy bonus for weapons). Also increases survey speed by 15%
** Field Modulation(Industry, 23 mo.) -- Unlocks upgrades to Power Plant II(including the Betharian/Troutian one).

** Cloud Lightning Conduits(Particles, 115 mo., 17% complete) -- Cloud Lightning weapons which come in small and large versions.
** Active Countermeasures(Computing, 35 mo., 6.8%complete) -- Sentinel Point-Defense. The space amoeba is the first opponent we've run into that this might be useful against.
** Fusion Power(Particles, 23 mo., 14% complete) -- Energy Storage + 250(presently 3000), unlocks Fusion Reactors, which proved 15 power at a cost of 10 for the same space our Fission Reactors use for 10 power at a cost of 5.
** Green Crystal Capacitors(Particles, 58 mo., 20% complete) -- Green Shard Thrower weapon used by the crystalline entities, available in all three sizes.

Dr. Frank Justyce, you are now on the clock.

Survey Captain Briefing: Dr. Tarc

Dr. Tarc, you are the survey captain formerly known as Bagglosch, who rose to prominence through physics discoveries in the outer arm as a protege on the [i]Laggasch[/b], captained by our longest-serving and finest survey scientist, Aklish Deesh. Shortly afterward you were given command of your own ship, the Jaschalgur, presently in the inner arm just on the outskirts of Thar'Biq space in the Pulcor system. You are presently 48 years old, one of our youngest leaders at the moment as its an aging group as discussed. You have just progressed to *** skill and have two traits. You have Computing expertise(+10% research speed in that category), suggesting a potential future in physics as well. Also, you have Spark of Genius(+10% to all research).

For now, there is one choice to make relating to risk tolerance. When researching anomalies, there is almost always a risk of failure which results in negative consequences as I'm sure you are aware -- most often, the loss of whatever might have been gained forever. Choose one of the following:

** Low -- Anything 10% or lower will be investigated, everything else left for later or a more skilled surveyor.
** Medium -- 30%
** High -- 50%
** Custom -- Pick your own % if you don't like those options.

Dr. Tarc, you have been added and are now on the clock. Welcome to the Oncorhyncus Collective.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #284
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Let's start research on Field Modulation
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Note that I've switched from 'points required' to months here for the difficulty of the projects as I think that's more informative.

Quick question about that.

When you say something like 115 mo., 17% complete does that mean there's still 115 months to go, or there's 115 months minus the 17% already completed?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #286
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The second one. 115 months total, 17% completed from the reverse-engineering process(debris analysis from battles).
Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #287
tarcone
Coordinator

Lets start low until I can get my skill level up.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #288
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2227-28

Fairly long update here, to be followed a couple more research choices. I haven't forgotten about giving an update about the colonizing options, but that is best saved for when we get the sector set up and know for sure if we can take down the frontier outpost yet. As of the end of this report, Mag Rutosch still has four months to go in the setup process. When that's finished, there'll be a update presented to sort of reset the situation with the most recent star chart, options, key economic indicators, and so forth.

2227.04.25 -- Farm finished on Micaw, and upgrade commences to tier II.

05.14 -- The first hydroponic farm on Bakangi has been upgraded, and the second begins the same process.

06.21 -- The colony ship Wossag is finished at Bakangi Spaceport, and heads to the Dastamon system. Development there is likely to be slow: it's our first arctic colony, small and relatively inhospitable. Recovering our investment in Arrakis though is the goal here, any eventual economic gains, and there are a decent amount of minerals, is a bonus.

07.26 -- The last farm upgrade on Bakangi is finished. The colony is now producing twice the food it needs, more than necessary for a decent amount of growth. A mining network is next on the agenda. A new power plant is next, as energy is once again the primary need of the moment.

08.13 -- Farm upgrade finished on Micaw. Another primitive Shantari construction will now be replaced with our, more productive hydroponic farms.

08.21 -- Fleet repairs are completed. The Nautilus Squadron, now reinforced and stronger than ever with a total of five destroyers and nine corvettes, heads to the Pavagh system to clear out more space amoebas.

09.03 -- Jaschalgur encouters close-by crystalline entities in the Vana system and attempts to evade ...

09.16 -- First of at least two, probably three hydroponic farm upgrades on Humboldt is finished and a second begins.

09.20 -- The Suggron has been repaired. As it had to return to our core systems anyway(Leesak) to do that, it will divert to Liram, our newly acquired and cleared system on the Kroll border which is need of a thorough survey operation.

10.20 -- Power plant finished on Bakangi, completing all current development there. That knocks our current deficit down from 13 to 9. It's important to note that as the fleet grows, the swings as starting to increase since it costs a quarter less to maintain when in orbit and standing down. Right now that's about 3 energy difference a month, a gap that's growing all the time. With the fleet in orbit and no colony ship operating we actually have a slight surplus. Over the past few years the energy balance has been holding steady at a third of maximum, generally just over a thousand. It's a healthy balance right now, but a situation that needs to be constantly monitored so that it doesn't get out of hand.

The Jaschalgur has successfully escaped the crystalline entities in Vana, and proceeds to other survey possibilities in the same area.

12.01 -- Another defense army for Micaw, and assault army on the homeworld are recruited.

12.18 -- Dr. Tarc arrives in the next new system, Sapir, and discovers no less than five active operations by the mining drones. Additionally, the neighboring system has an alien presence designated Rho. Possibly these are the beings that have developed Pleione, just two jumps away -- but that's for Dr. Corperial to uncover.

Meanwhile, another hyroponic farm is completed on Micaw and the upgrade begun.

12.21 -- Space amoebas engaged in the Pavagh system.

2228.01.07 -- The colony ship has landed on Dastamon II, now to be known as Mag Rutosch.

01.14 -- The space amoebas have been defeated. As before, the fleet lost a single corvette, and returns for repairs once again.

02.01 -- New hydroponics farm under construction on Eskogg, which is growing slowly, but surely.

03.16 -- Second farm upgrade completed on Humboldt, and the third begins. All of these improvements are helpful in the long term, but are really doing a number on the energy income.

04.09 -- Farm upgrade complete on Micaw. Things there are now up to date, there's a couple of mining developments needed but nobody to run them at this point.

05.03 -- Solar Panel Network begun on Eskogg Spaceport.

05.26 -- The Korgasch has found a second Troutstone, well outward from us in our arm of the galaxy, but we could get there eventually.

06.01 -- Farm completed on Eskogg. With the infrastructure buildup for our new colony, Arrakis is basically right on the border but still claimed by the Kroll -- who have built two additional research stations there. Nice of them to do our job for us ...

Agglor Spaceport begins a Solar Panel Network as well. These should take a bit of a bite out of our energy deficit.

06.23 -- Word from the United Djomar Stars that they've been rivaled by an empire known as the Ul-Tur Concordat. Whoever they are, I would presume they are in the opposite direction inward on our arm of the galaxy from the Djomar.

07.01 -- Arrakis is back within our territory! The Kroll Border Proposal is now officially a success, at least in its main goal. This has actually made our energy situation slightly worse, since the income from the system is four on that front, but there are six stations to support. Still, overall it is a success.

07.16 -- An abandoned solar sail ship has been found around one of the moons in Liram. It was damaged by a meteorite and is expected to be several thousand years old, but the study still held significant engineering benefits.

07.30 -- First contact with the Commonwealth of Oxx-Oxx. No, that's not a misprint -- they really call themselves that.

Like the Imperium of Thar-Biq, they are collectivist but materialist, giving us mixed potential for future relations. A race of arthropoids preferring a tundra environment, they are focused on scientific endeavor. They have three rivals, none of which are known to us. Their border with the Thar-Biq is such that further progression in one direction on the inward arm of the galaxy is no longer possible.

One of their diplomats notes that 'my mesenteron churns at the mere sight on you' and that they are 'united in their disgust' for us. It seems mostly the usual distrust, nothing more serious at this point.

Should also mention that I have a new theory on the Omicrons. I think, based on the location(Pleione is just this side of Oxx-Oxx space), that they were wiped out either by them or the Thar'Biq. That would explain why we weren't able to finish researching contact, as the empire no longer exists and was absorbed by another. Incidentally the victory screen does show one fewer independent empire than it did before. So for now, I'm considering them to be lost to galactic history, as it were.

08.14 -- The fleet is repaired and reinforced once again, now possessing seven destroyers and eight corvettes, nearly an even mix. Crystalline entities in the inner galactic arm at Rosalas are the only obstacle other than the two mentioned empires, and that will be the next target ...

09.16 -- Last farm upgraded on Humboldt. As things stands, the homeworld is close to being able to take one of them down but not quite there. The least productive of them produces 4.4 food a month, only 0.6 of which is needed to fully supply the maximum possible population of 16(only 14 right now, not there yet). We'll need to find a way to squeeze out a hair more before redeveloping. There's always the Spiritual Unity planetary edict, but if we needed influence for something else and couldn't pay for it when it wore off, we'd wind up a bit short.

I also noticed for the first time that we are taking a minor hit(-7% when most of them are at around 60%) on happiness for our primary worlds due to having alien slaves. This has virtually no effect except lowering production on Humboldt a bit. And they can basically all deal with it, not the least of the reasons being that the benefits are better than the restrictions.

09.24 -- Survey captain Glabonsch is up to **** and is now Maniacal(+5% research speed)

10.02 -- Research on plasma thrusters finished. Also, the Djomar have declared a rivalry on an empire we have not yet met. Probably the same one who rivaled them not that long ago, but really there's no reason for us to be overly concerned about such developments at this point.

Clearing out the final unusuable province, an industrial wasteland, is next on the agenda. Also, our borders have expanded in the opposite direction of the Kroll just enough to take in another system, Vermillion. The Mildrosch will head there to build four more stations.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #289
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Next up, we need a couple more research directions before proceeding further.

It's worth noting here that you are now 75 years old, 'experienced' enough that you could potentially kick the bucket at any time, as it were. Also, while much of the saved-up research has been used, there is still 4-5 years worth left.

** Xeno Diplomacy(Statecraft, 43 mo.) -- Unlocks the ability to form Federations. Unlike last time, we actually do now know enough empires for this to be potentially relevant. However, we don't get along well enough with any of them to be allies. We'd need to do that to be able to use a Federation. Still, the time for it to be a thing is slowly growing closer ...
** Mountain Range Removal(New Worlds, 17 mo.) -- As it says, gives us the ability to remove mountain ranges. Seems that it's via explosives. Very, very large explosives used on a signficant portion of a planet's surface. These are seen here and there, and this would allow us to more fully improve some potential colonies.
** Psionic Theory(Psionics, 85 mo.) -- Unlocks the Army Attachment of PSI Warriors, which gives a bonus to 10% to damage and 15% to morale damage. This is a Rare technology, so if something else is chosen it is unlikely we will get a second bite at the apple, so to speak.
** Regenerative Hull Tissue(Materials, 158 mo., 14% completed)

Dr. David Corperial, you are on the clock.

Research Director's Briefing: Dr. Coffee Warlord

** Deep Space Outposts(Voidcraft, 8 mo.) -- Unlocks Defense Platforms, which as before are the entry-level invention allowing for static orbital defenses.
** Advanced Spaceports(Voidcraft, 39 mo.) -- Increases mineral storage by 2000(presently at 10,000). Unlocks Destroyer Assembly Yards(-25% build cost, -10% build time) and allows Spaceports to be upgraded to allow for four modules each instead of the current three.
** Railguns(Materials, 29 mo.) -- Unlocks Railguns, the next in our primary line of weapons that began with mass drivers and proceeded to the current coilguns. Railguns have the same basic profile, but do another 15% damage more than the coilguns we presently use on most of our ships.

Dr. Coffee Warlord, you are now on the clock as well.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-09-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #290
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

Let's go with Psionic Theory
Old 06-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #291
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hmm.

Advanced Spaceports we go!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #292
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2228-9

2228.11.01 -- Eskogg begins the upgrade to planetary administration. A couple days later the solar panel network is finished on the spaceport there, biting into our energy deficit a bit.

12.02 -- Solar panels finished at Agglor as well. We're now down to nine a month, a shortfall which should essentially go away when the new colony is set up.

01.06 -- Industrial wasteland cleared on Humboldt. This will allow growth in the final province, but no new construction should be necessary here for years.

02.01 -- Mag Rutosch has been completely set up and the colony is now in operation. Disbanding the Ambisia frontier outpost shrunk our borders by a bit, but Arrakis was kept just within them. It will be important to keep Mag Rutosch growing to ensure we maintain control of the system.

New sector defaults to losing three-plus energy and gaining about 30 minerals a month. I changed the borders a bit, taking a couple of the mineral-rich system out and leaving them as part of our core, but that still left it at +2 energy, +18 minerals. It's pretty unbalanced obviously. The Kroll Border Sector is now overseen by JIMGA. At the moment we've got the sector focusing on building up energy production and no taxes so that it can build up a basic amount of resources. Taxes at least will change before too long.

We have reached the point where galactic-scale inefficiency is now to become a thing. We can no longer micromanage our economy to the same degree; size breeds waste. Best we can do is to try and balance out the Kroll sector, then tax it if it becomes more profitable than it needs to be.

03.02 -- Humboldt begins upgrading a science lab to a biolab. I forgot to do this some while back when they were developed.

03.09 -- The bluish -- technically designated 'sapphire' -- crystalline entities are engaged in the Rasalas system.

03.25 -- The Rasalas system has been cleared. It was a short battle, with two corvettes having suffered only light damage. Still, all will return for repairs.

04.02 -- Field Modulation research complete.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #293
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The recently blueprinted power plants will be built immediately to address what has already become a minor energy shortage. Hopefully it will soon be turned into a surplus. In the meantime, here's what's next.

** Hyperlane Breach Points(Particles, 82 mo.) -- Improves our hyperdrives by reducing the amount of time required to 'spool up' for a jump.
** Database Uplinks(Computing, 82 mo.) -- Allows our science ships to be deployed at a planet, increasing the research output there. This would seem to be more important once we've explored all we can, and we don't appear to be close to that yet.
** Disruptors(Particles, 82 mo.) -- An energy-based weapon that does double damage to shields, which would be great if we had yet encountered a foe that deploys them.

** Cloud Lightning Conduits(Particles, 110 mo., 16% completed) -- Unlocks the Cloud Lightning weapons system.
** Active Countermeasures(Computing, 33 mo., 6.2% completed) -- Sentinel Point-Defense weapons system.
** Fusion Power(Particles, 22 mo., 13% completed) -- +250 energy storage and unlocks Fusion Reactors, upgrade from our current Fission technology.
** Green Crystal Capacitors(Particles, 55 mo., 18% completed) -- Allows us to use the Green Shard Thrower weapons system.

Dr. Frank Justyce, you are now on the clock.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #294
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Expansion Synopsis

At this point, our core systems are still Humboldt, Bakangi, Eskogg, and Agglor. At some point, it seems all but certain the fifth will be a max-size(25) planet in the Impal Tov system. That is one option but probably expanding our territory further will come first. It seems best to me to think of those in terms of sectors, areas of space.

The arm inside ours in the galaxy, shown here, is one possibility. In this scenario, we would focus on the Kraz system, where there is a size-24 ocean planet and the Coggan system would provide additional possibilities for building stations. If we want a permanent presence in this area of space, this is where we'll need to go, but it would put us right next to the empires already there. This is very aggressive -- it would limit their expansion, but if the Thar'Biq felt too boxed in, it could result in a war before we are ready for one.

This is the current state of our arm of the galaxy, outward from our territory in the opposite direction of the Kroll. There's a small ocean planet in the Pavagh system, and one of the arctic variety in Hark. Settling these two planets would likely prevent any crossings from the inner arm and provide a buffer for us in that direction, though less aggressively than the Kraz option. The limited planet sizes here and lack of energy in these systems is not encouraging though. Minerals are plentiful but it appears that energy is more and more going to be the main concern. This is definitely a strategic rather than economic option.

A frontier outpost in Yiriam will probably happen soon. It's a rich system and a couple more stations could be put up in the neighbors, overall a net gain of a few energy, some more minerals, and even a bit of physics research which is our weakest area at the present time. Further out, the Khamb system, though all of its surroundings are not yet fully surveyed, has a pair of pretty good arctic worlds(size 19 and 18). It's a fairly high-density area of space so there could be good opportunities for building stations, eventually the Troutstone in Cordip would come along for the ride, and it would serve the strategic purpose of controlling the chokepoint system of Pyia leading closer to our core worlds. This seems a strong contender a pair of colony ships in the not-distant future.

We can't say as much about this area due to the fact that it will be some time before the fleet can go through the slog of clearing out all of the denizens here. Having said that, there's a size-20 ocean world in Dawcan that could absorb the Sym system and stand watch over that dark-space arm jump. The nearby Hithram system is very rich in minerals. Further down, the Haribas system might be the most desired of any eventually. There are two ocean planets(size 19 and 18), significant energy in the region, and eventually Hanneri would be able to be exploited for it's fantastic physics research possibilities.

From the above choices, it seems we can narrow them down to three in my opinion(further questions and/or suggestions are always not only possible but encouraged):

** Kraz -- We aggressively stake our claim to the inner arm of the galaxy. We won't cede this area to the Thar'Biq and Oxx-Oxx.
** Hark/Manthall -- A more defensive, strategic choice to provide a buffer zone against those powers.
** Khamb -- Distant from us, but an important junction in this arm of the galaxy.

All officials of the Collective are encouraged to put forward their thoughts. That said, Inquisitor Roe Laren, you are on the clock. A new colony ship will go forth within a couple of years. Building it will become a fairly high priority once the power plants are upgraded. Where should we send it?
Old 06-12-2016, 12:58 AM   #295
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Let's research Fusion Power
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #296
muns
Pro Starter

My vote would be Khamb or Hark/ Manthall. I could go either way. Prob lean toward Khamb if we would do that and then work our way back.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #297
tarcone
Coordinator

Kraz. Lets be aggressive.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #298
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

04.02 -- Bakangi begins upgrading one of two power plants.

05.09 -- Hydroponic farm construction begins on Agglor.

05.29 -- Dr. Tarc has discovered a primitive pre-sentient species in Pavagh.

06.? -- Mining station in Vermillion.

06.14 -- Power plant upgrade on Bakangi completed, and the second is begun.

07.17 -- It is noticed that the Mildrosch has stopped working in the Vermillion system -- it is no longer within our borders, narrowly. The only explanation is that the frontier post in Ambisia was recently disbanded. That's on the other side of our territory, but there is a 'density' aspect to border generation so that still could be why. It is now just outside our territory, Arrakis is still just inside. Both are very, very close to the line.

So construction efforts will move on to the planned outpost in the Yiriam system. We'll get Vermillion back eventually, it's just a matter of time and how much growth is needed to do it.

08.24 -- Second power plant upgrade is finished on Bakangi. Next up is a new mining network there.

09.02 -- Mine upgrade finished on Humboldt. It's now time for power plant spam -- there are four in need of an upgrade here. Naturally the big one utilizing the Troutstone goes first.

09.07 -- Debris analysis finished in the Pavagh system. Regenerative Hull Tissue is further along now, and something called Amoeba Breeding Program is now available to reverse-engineer. The current Psi Warriors research is expected to take six years to finish, but when it is finally done that'll be an option.

The Jaschalgur will return home for a refit with the new Plasma sub-light thrusters, and the Suggron will shortly begin the same process.

09.15 -- Hydroponic farm finished on Agglor.

10.06 -- Fleet repairs are completed. There will be an operational pause now while the refit to plasma thrusters is underway. Shouldn't be too lengthy on a per-ship basis, but with five different classes of ships now, it will still take some time. The corvettes will go first.

10.18 -- The Suggron is now equipped with the new thrusters, and returns to the hazardous outer arm.

10.25 -- The upgrades are going much quicker than expected(I think this was changed in the last patch). In the case of the Borrer-class destroyers, power requirements dictated a change from 3 shields and 1 armor reinforcement section to 2 of each.

10.28 -- Crystalline entities, three groups of them, found in the Atlaba system, just past Khamb in our arm. This general area will be the fleet's next target anyway.

11.01 -- Eskogg, our colony in Norgon, has finished upgrading to Planetary Administration and is now a fully-functioning world. It's our third such planet, after Humboldt of course and Bakangi. Two hydroponic farms will each need a pair of upgrades now.

11.06 -- Fleet upgrades finished. Simulations predict only a 3.1% increase in combat performance from the new thrusters, but frankly the faster in-system travel will probably be noticed more. The Nautilus Squadron is off again, this time to Pyla where more space amoebas await.

11.20 -- Construction on Bakangi continues. The mine is finished, and now it will get an upgrade to our most modern standard.

At year's end, I can report that the energy budget is nearly back where we'd like it. The balance is down to 631, not much over half of what it once was, but even with the fleet deployed the monthly accounting is only a small deficit(-3.5, and the Kroll Border Sector has a +2.25 so it's nearly break-even). Once the frontier outpost in Yiriam, currently early in the process of being built, is up and running and the surrounding systems developed with what should eventually be 4-5 energy stations totalling about 10 income per month, we should be sitting ok there again. Also, Vermillion is back just within our space as of a few weeks after it left. Not really sure what went on there but it's of little consequence.

Three decades in the books now, which means it's worth thinking about the next election which is ten years away. One more decade left under Inquisitor Roe Laren, though it's possible she could retain the office. At 58, she's still the youngest political leader we have. Gov. Palmieri is 61, JIMGA 76. We don't really have any youngsters anymore. That may change if we need to replace somebody. Another interesting note is that we are still allowed to purge/enslave those living in sectors. A fifth Shantari pop was enslaved this year since it's working in mining. So far JIMGA's leadership of the sector is a success, sensible decisions have been made including upgrading power plants, and with a decent amount in reserve now we will begin taxing those systems. There is a new secessionist faction that basically replaced the one on Micaw, asking for the entire sector to be independent. It isn't particularly popular though and has gained no support, so this is something to snicker at more than any real concern.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #299
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2230.01.15 -- The Jaschalgur upgrade is finished. Dr. Tarc is sent back to the inner arm, first to Rasalas to survey there and do some debris analysis on the most recent battle.

02.02 -- Mining network upgrade finished on Bakangi. That's it for all the planet-side construction there at the moment.

03.01 -- Spaceport upgrade at Bakangi begins. Expensive, but we're getting big enough that having a second spaceport capable of building destroyers seems to be a worthy investment. The fleet is big enough to handle any current challenge with minimal losses at the moment ...

03.02 -- Power plant upgrade finished on Humboldt. The next one will get started next month, due to the spaceport upgrade started yesterday draining our mineral reserves for the time being.

06.01 -- One farming upgrade finished on Eskogg. Another one will get the first province up to snuff.

06.25 -- A third battle with space amoebas, this one in the Pyla system, is now underway.

07.21 -- The battle in Pyla is over, with the same result as before. We won, losing a single corvette which got chewed up by the amoebas' 'strike craft'. Back home for repairs again.

08.18 -- On a seemingly lifeless moon in the Xir system(Khamb area of the middle arm) a subterranean life form has been discovered. Unfortunately the screen capture did not work for some reason, there was a pretty interesting write-up about it. Basically, the upshot is that it was a silicon-based worm-like 'creature', and as a result of it's activities the moon is a good source for mining.

09.01 -- Bakangi Spaceport upgrade is complete. Corvette Assembly Yards module will now commence.

10.06 -- A post-medieval, 'Renaissance Age' civilization has been discovered in the outer arm. We won't be able to do anything with this information for some time of course given the local hazards.

10.18 -- Power plant upgrade finished on Humboldt. For the first time in years, we now have an energy surplus. Less than half a unit per month, but it's something. Still two more such improvements to be made on the homeworld.

10.28 -- Frontier outpost finished in Yiriam. As this star chart shows, there is one neighboring system we had hoped to develop which will still be outside our territory(Andack). Nonetheless it still should be a profitable addition.

12.01 -- Farm upgrade finished on Eskogg. There is one more province needing a pair of those, and work on that begins next.

12.02 -- Fusion power research completed. There will be a new round of ship upgrades when the Nautilus Squadron arrives back at Humboldt; it is presently en route. At that time further details will be given.

We'll pause here for more research instructions. It's worth noting that by early next year a new colony ship will enter production, so about a year for now(game-time) we'll need a decision on where to send it. Thanks for those who have put in their two cents already .
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #300
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

With fusion research finished, you have a mere six options this time around.

** Database Uplinks(Computing, 84 mo.) -- Unlocks Assist Research, with which a survey ship can aid a planet, improving research output there.
** Improved Deflectors(Field Manipulation, 56 mo.) -- Planetary Fortifications improved by 20%. The ship-sized versions of the deflectors can absorb twice the damage(50 to 25) of our current versions for a 50% cost increase.
** Self-aware Logic(Computing, 112 mo.) -- Research Alternatives increased by one(defaults to four each time instead of three).

** Cloud Lightning Conduits(Particles, 112 mo., 15% completed) -- Unlocks the Cloud Lightning weapons system.
** Active Counter-Measures(Computing, 34 mo., 6.1% completed) -- Unlocks the Sentinel Point Defense weapons system.
** Green Crystal Capacitor(Particles, 56 mo., 18% completed) -- Unlocks the Green Shard Thrower weapons system.

Dr. Frank Justyce, you are on the clock again.