Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #751
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

No need to play dumb, its quite obvious why you posted the article, which included the numbers I cited in TFA.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #752
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Great, so we can agree the entire damn state can't count. What's your point? It was a Detroit paper writing about Detroit news.

So maybe state wide recounts are a good idea and Jill Stein was on to something?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #753
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So maybe state wide recounts are a good idea and Jill Stein was on to something?

I'd say a statewide check on how votes are cast/counted would be much more fruitful in the long run. Bad data in, bad data out as far as recounts go.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #754
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
No need to play dumb, its quite obvious why you posted the article, which included the numbers I cited in TFA.

So why did I post it?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #755
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

I refuse to believe Jill Stein has ever been on to anything.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #756
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I refuse to believe Jill Stein has ever been on to anything.

(Shh... just play along)
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #757
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure why people continue to do this.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or naive.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #758
RainMaker
General Manager

Leak reveals Rex Tillerson was director of Bahamas-based US-Russian oil firm | US news | The Guardian
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #759
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good. I am hoping that stuff like this coming out will make the confirmation hearings difficult and might lead to other choices in the long run.

One way to ease Trump off the crazy would be if the GOP controlled Congress still forced him to compromise on some of his weirder decisions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #760
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if they can force him to compromise. GOP voters are much more pro-Russia/Putin these days. Imagine if Reagan were still alive to see this.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #761
PilotMan
Head Coach

The ultimate result that the ends justify the means if it helps you win. There's very little in regards to a conclusion that you can come to otherwise. The rise of the controlling neo-conferderate is complete.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #762
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ah, it's "Liberals get angry because the Electoral College doesn't flip to Hillary" Day!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #763
digamma
Torchbearer

Not really.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #764
PilotMan
Head Coach

I would say that the vast majority of Americans are willing to proceed, however they do want to know what the fuck happened and how did we get here. They also want the Congressmen who spent 8 years undermining one presidency to shut the fuck up about suddenly getting slammed with the very same tactics they themselves rationalized. Furthermore, they'd really like it if it didn't look like we were intentionally covering up something that's massive implications go beyond the actual hacked emails, but drive to something much bigger.

Trump will be in the crosshairs for the next 4 years at least. He will be subject to scrutiny, ridicule and outright opposition. Get used to it. Just like my own Dad said, "this anger you have is how we felt for 8 years," well suck it up buttercup, you're about to endure the shoe on the other foot. Being the target instead of the rock is a completely different experience.

Like Steam?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #765
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I would like to see how the people whining about the popular vote would have responded to the first 9 presidential elections in US history.

I fully expect Trump to be a train wreck of Warren G. Harding proportions, but I have no problem with how he got there.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #766
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I would like to see how the people whining about the popular vote would have responded to the first 9 presidential elections in US history.

I fully expect Trump to be a train wreck of Warren G. Harding proportions, but I have no problem with how he got there.

What exactly is your definition of "how he got there?"

The electoral process? The actual outcome of the vote on Nov 8?

Like Steam?

Old 12-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #767
JPhillips
General Manager

I would like to see how people against slavery would have responded to the first eighty years of the USA.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #768
JPhillips
General Manager

Russia's ambassador to Turkey was shot and wounded. The Russian reaction will be worth watching.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #769
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Being the target instead of the rock is a completely different experience.

Except we're not all that inclined to take it with much patience after enduring the destruction & damage of the past eight years.

The shoe IS on the other foot ... and I hope & pray it squashes a whole lot of fucking cockroaches.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #770
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
What exactly is your definition of "how he got there?"

The electoral process? The actual outcome of the vote on Nov 8?

The electoral process. I have no problem with someone losing the popular vote but winning the electoral college, even if he was a boorish, lying oaf the entire time.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #771
JPhillips
General Manager

Update: Russian ambassador killed.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #772
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Except we're not all that inclined to take it with much patience after enduring the destruction & damage of the past eight years.

The shoe IS on the other foot ... and I hope & pray it squashes a whole lot of fucking cockroaches.

Take it all the way back to the times when there was a quiet, repressed, conciliatory, underpaid, workforce, and a single, authoritarian leader who was responsible to make all the choices for the good of himself and those others who were worthy, such as himself? Because, the ones he was responsible for weren't (insert whatever here, smart, wealthy, genetically significant) enough? I mean, after all, they should know better.

Like Steam?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #773
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still wonder exactly what it was that was destroyed over the past eight years. Not generalities like "good sense" or "common reason," but specific examples.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #774
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Russia's ambassador to Turkey was shot and wounded. The Russian reaction will be worth watching.

Unbelievable media photo of the moment just before the shooter was gunned down.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #775
molson
General Manager

Video of the assassination itself.

Footage of the Russian Ambassador getting show, gunman clearly shouting "Allahu Akbar" - YouTube
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #776
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

That's nuts. He was the only one behind him. He was either part of the museum security detail or the ambassador's security detail. No other way he's in that spot, is there?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #777
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Archduke Ferdinand unavailable for comment.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #778
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
That's nuts. He was the only one behind him. He was either part of the museum security detail or the ambassador's security detail. No other way he's in that spot, is there?

I just read he was off duty, he flashed his badge to get in, and the ambassador's detail was not with him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #779
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

No social media from Trump yet. I'm a bit surprised to be honest.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #780
JPhillips
General Manager

Supposedly the translation of his comments makes it clear he was taking action in response to the Russian abuses in Aleppo.

Last edited by JPhillips : 12-19-2016 at 01:50 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #781
Groundhog
Coordinator

Something along the lines of "You kill us in Aleppo, we kill you here. God is great."
Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #782
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
“In the case of the president, he has a broad ability to organize the White House the way he wants to. He also has, frankly, the power of the pardon,” Gingrich told WAMU’s Diane Rehm on Monday morning. “It is a totally open power, and he could simply say, ‘Look, I want them to be my advisers. I pardon them if anyone finds them to have behaved against the rules. Period.' Technically, under the Constitution, he has that level of authority.”

It's not illegal if the President or his kids do it.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #783
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
No social media from Trump yet. I'm a bit surprised to be honest.

Putin hasn't gotten in touch to tell him what to say.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #784
Edward64
Head Coach

Not much on "the wall" that I've read. Wonder what is going on there, looking forward to see how Trump plans to execute this?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #785
PilotMan
Head Coach

Great article in the Washington Post talking about the potential future of the US, based on similar politics in Poland.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5181106ceb73

Quote:
"...nationalists have transformed Poland into a surreal and insular place — one where state-sponsored conspiracy theories and de facto propaganda distract the public as democracy erodes."

"Polish scientists are aghast at proposed curriculum changes in a new education bill that would downplay evolution theory and climate change and add hours for “patriotic” history lessons."

"Cheered on by religious conservatives, the new government has defunded public assistance for in vitro fertilization treatments. To draft new sexual-education classes in schools, it tapped a contraceptives opponent who argues that condom use increases the risk of cancer in women."

"Embracing the new government, to some measure, also means buying into the disturbing worldview it sells: You can only trust a Pole — even then, only some."

"..following its victory, Law and Justice launched an unprecedented purge of journalists at the channel, turning it into what opponents describe as a propaganda machine where conspiracy theories flourish. It recently ran a piece on the health risks of child vaccinations. "

"The new government is also skeptical of the Paris climate change agreement to cut carbon emissions and has pulled support for Polish wind and solar farms. At the same time, it is pumping more money into coal. "

“Who really knows what is causing global warming?” Pawel said. “And Poland needs the coal industry.”

"A new draft law would also allow government-appointed governors the right to decide on future permits for demonstrations. "

"A near-total abortion ban — women and doctors faced up to five years in jail — was defeated in October after a massive street protest. But she fears it may yet come back."

"..a new proposed school curriculum the Polish Academy of Sciences says will marginalize evolution theory by reducing its prominence in some grades. Sciences more generally would receive less time, in favor of more hours for Polish history. "

So yeah, lots of familiarity and things to fear there. I'm not even touching on the rollbacks of equal rights for LGBT groups, the normalizing of state religion, and and state approved discrimination against other racial and sex-identity groups.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-20-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #786
JPhillips
General Manager

Gen. Flynn apparently has been meeting with the leader of the Austrian Freedom party, a white supremacist party founded by honest to God Nazis.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #787
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Gen. Flynn apparently has been meeting with the leader of the Austrian Freedom party, a white supremacist party founded by honest to God Nazis.

The same one that just signed a cooperation agreement with Russia? Shocking.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #788
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I thought and still think the Trump presidency will be a disaster (not a country destroying disaster but probably one that will make the W. Bush presidency look like a success) but the one positive is how worked up the board's resident liberals get about every single thing in the news. Oh my God racism, Russia!, oh jeez racism, the Russians, oh no racism!!!! It's like the idiots on the other side back in 2008 complaining all the time about Jeremiah Wright, the black panthers supposedly changing the elections, the end of America as we know it, Benghazi...

You screwed over a huge portion of your base with the super-delegates in the primary and then ran a shitty candidate who lost... get over it.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #789
JPhillips
General Manager

There is a difference between complaining about things that happened versus things that didn't happen.

The New Black Panthers didn't achieve anything. The Russians really did influence the election. That's not hard to figure out.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #790
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm amazed that conservatives who idolized Reagan are fine with the Russians basically pulling the strings now.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #791
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There is a difference between complaining about things that happened versus things that didn't happen.

The New Black Panthers didn't achieve anything. The Russians really did influence the election. That's not hard to figure out.

It's now an inarguable fact they influenced the election and without their meddling Clinton would have won the election? People thought Hillary Clinton was an honest upstanding clean politician until Wikileaks (aka in CNN speak "The Russians") showed she wasn't? Give me a break. Again same garbage assuming non-liberals are incapable of making decisions without Russian meddling and/or racism. Maybe this mindset is what lost the election?

I thought Clinton was a better candidate than Trump for sure but nothing realeased in the hacked emails was the least bit surprising or shocking.

Last edited by panerd : 12-20-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #792
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm amazed that conservatives who idolized Reagan are fine with the Russians basically pulling the strings now.

The Russians are now pulling the strings? Maybe the Democrats just had a crappy candidate who lost the election. A liberal loss doesn't always have to be because of something unfair happening.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #793
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If Russians didn't think that wikileaks of DNC emails wouldn't hurt the Clinton campaign why would they release them? I mean this is just Occam's razor now.

And considering how CLOSE Trump ended up winning (100,000 votes over 3 states), I think one can say that without Russian meddling there is a good chance it could have been vastly different.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #794
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The Russians are now pulling the strings?

Uh... yeah. Look who is the nominee for SecState. Look what the President-elect's policy for Syria seems to be. Look what the President-elect's policy towards Russian sanctions is. What is the President-elect's policy on NATO? Russia is getting everything it wants on the international stage.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #795
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It's now an inarguable fact they influenced the election and without their meddling Clinton would have won the election? People thought Hillary Clinton was an honest upstanding clean politician until Wikileaks (aka in CNN speak "The Russians") showed she wasn't? Give me a break. Again same garbage assuming non-liberals are incapable of making decisions without Russian meddling and/or racism. Maybe this mindset is what lost the election?

I thought Clinton was a better candidate than Trump for sure but nothing realized with the hacked emails was the least bit surprising or shocking.

I'm amazed at how many liberals are clinging to this idea that Clinton was a slam-dunk without the e-mail release. She was unlikable long before that.

Personally, I don't see the problem in it. She should have released all those e-mails when they were requested. If she had, no one would have ended up leaking them at such a crucial time in her campaign. Mrs. Clinton has no one to blame but herself. Do it the right way and she had a fighting chance.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #796
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

People do realize that Clinton's emails from her own server weren't leaked right?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-20-2016 at 10:00 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #797
PilotMan
Head Coach

Freedoms that go away, like say, the freedom of press, the normalization of not releasing income tax records, the idea that the president isn't beholden to the US population in location, statements, or actions is nearly impossible to get back once it's gone.

If we allow the the highest office in the land, the most powerful person in the world, to now be allowed the freedom to operate behind the walls, or through others, while maintaining a distinct line between himself and the people. To allow him to control press by shutting down opposing voices, or by simply ignoring the voices he doesn't agree with, and allowing him the freedom to communicate through a medium that affords him protection from immediate consequences then we've lost more in that than anything that's happened in the last 40 years.

We will have created the Wizard of Oz, knowing full well who he is, but choosing to accept it anyway. He will insulate and continue to insulate himself by surrounding himself with so many people that he can scapegoat that he'll never do anything wrong, because there will always be someone to blame.

Building metaphorical walls will only create barriers to achievement. Trump has his twitter wall where he is free to speak whatever he feels. Everyone else argues about what he means, and what the consequences of it are, but he never has to face the music. We have walls on this board, reddit, facebook, twitter. The age of impersonal, human interactions, where we can insulate from having to actually feel empathy for anyone else is here.

That is no way to conduct foreign policy. It's no way to maintain peace with allies and it sure as hell isn't the way to avoid conflict. Trump spouts off as being an isolationist where the world needs to leave us alone, but then weighs in on every single thing happening as if he's right there feeding the flames on one side or another.

He's simply not smart enough to realize what the fuck he's doing, and I fear we will all pay the price, one way or another.

Like Steam?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #798
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Freedoms that go away, like say, the freedom of press, the normalization of not releasing income tax records, the idea that the president isn't beholden to the US population in location, statements, or actions is nearly impossible to get back once it's gone.

If we allow the the highest office in the land, the most powerful person in the world, to now be allowed the freedom to operate behind the walls, or through others, while maintaining a distinct line between himself and the people. To allow him to control press by shutting down opposing voices, or by simply ignoring the voices he doesn't agree with, and allowing him the freedom to communicate through a medium that affords him protection from immediate consequences then we've lost more in that than anything that's happened in the last 40 years.

We will have created the Wizard of Oz, knowing full well who he is, but choosing to accept it anyway. He will insulate and continue to insulate himself by surrounding himself with so many people that he can scapegoat that he'll never do anything wrong, because there will always be someone to blame.

Building metaphorical walls will only create barriers to achievement. Trump has his twitter wall where he is free to speak whatever he feels. Everyone else argues about what he means, and what the consequences of it are, but he never has to face the music. We have walls on this board, reddit, facebook, twitter. The age of impersonal, human interactions, where we can insulate from having to actually feel empathy for anyone else is here.

That is no way to conduct foreign policy. It's no way to maintain peace with allies and it sure as hell isn't the way to avoid conflict. Trump spouts off as being an isolationist where the world needs to leave us alone, but then weighs in on every single thing happening as if he's right there feeding the flames on one side or another.

He's simply not smart enough to realize what the fuck he's doing, and I fear we will all pay the price, one way or another.

I am not a Trump supporter in the least. However it's amazing you have analyzed his unsuccessful presidency after him being in office for 0 days. I thought the conservatives were fast in declaring Obama's failure about a month into his term but I will give you credit for being even faster.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #799
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm amazed at how many liberals are clinging to this idea that Clinton was a slam-dunk without the e-mail release. She was unlikable long before that.

Personally, I don't see the problem in it. She should have released all those e-mails when they were requested. If she had, no one would have ended up leaking them at such a crucial time in her campaign. Mrs. Clinton has no one to blame but herself. Do it the right way and she had a fighting chance.

Quote:
People do realize that Clinton's emails from her own server weren't leaked right?

And that ladies and gentleman is the crux for the majority of Americans who think that they were totally related. Holy shit.

Like Steam?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #800
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I am not a Trump supporter in the least. However it's amazing you have analyzed his unsuccessful presidency after him being in office for 0 days. I thought the conservatives were fast in declaring Obama's failure about a month into his term but I will give you credit for being even faster.

Dude, look around. He's not the first person who's ever approached world politics in this way. He's not a trailblazer. He's not setting out to change things. This is based off of his actions, his beliefs, his speeches. The way he runs his companies, his lawsuits. There's nothing here that should be shocking to anyone if you're paying attention.

I sure as shit am claiming he's going to be assassinated, nor calling for it, like many did when Obama was elected. I'm not putting words or actions to him that he hasn't already done in one way or another. I'm saying that if he continues to operate that way that he always has, that this will be the result.

Like Steam?