Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Living the Dream - Part 3

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 - Following the Eagles as they are led by their new head coach and his assistant brother coach after going 2-18 the last 2 seasons.

LINK TO NEWS ARTICLE

ESD Qualifies for State 7-on-7 Tourney

By SPCSports.org, Photos by ESD Athletics

WICHITA FALLS - The 2012 season will be full of firsts for the Episcopal School of Dallas under first-year head football coach Clayton Sanders. And those firsts started recently as the Eagles qualified for the state 7-on-7 tournament after winning a State Qualifier in Wichita Falls.

”I am so proud of these young men,” Sanders said. “They found a way to adapt and overcome through all the adversity they faced and came out on the other side as UIL State Qualifiers.”

ESD braved the scorching Texas heat all day to pick up four victories, qualifying for the state tournament for the first time in the program's history. The Eagles wrapped up the day with an impressive 31-19 victory over top-seeded Boyd High School.

”Our defense played outstanding all day, and ended the day with seven interceptions (one for a touchdown), five goal-line stands and several three-and-outs,” Sanders said. “Also, I can't say enough about the way our quarterback Thomas Fitts performed today. He threw the ball very well and led our offense to the end zone when we needed it.

”We had some key guys step up with some big plays on both sides of the ball. This is a giant step forward for this football program. I'm excited for these young men, and they earned something special that they should be proud of.”

ESD opened up the tournament with a 39-29 win over host Wichita Falls High School. Iowa Park High School was the next Eagle victim in a 33-18 win in round two. The semi-final matchup with Eastland High School proved to be the closest as ESD won just 27-21. The lead changed three times in the finals before ESD prevailed by 12.

The Eagles are one of four private school teams that have qualified for the state 7-on-7 tournament, which will be held in College State, at Texas A&M, on Thursday, July 19 and Friday, July 20. Houston St. Pius X, Tyler Grace Community and fellow SPC rival Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal have also qualified. SPX won the Houston Second Baptist SQT, while Grace Community finished second at the Bullard High School SQT and ASE won the Glen Rose High School SQT.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Senator

DALLAS β€” Episcopal School of Dallas Eagles 2012 Football Preview

Head Football Coach: Clayton Sanders first season as head coach of ESD
2010 Season: 2-8
Returning Lettermen: 28
Offensive Overview: 4 returning starters
Offensive System: Multiple Spread
All-District Returnees Offense: 0
All-State Returnees Offense: 0

Quarterback: Coach Sanders comes in with a pair of quarterbacks fighting it out for the starting job. Richie Loftus was the starter last year and completed just over 50 percent of his passes. In the spread offense that percentage needs to be over 60 and close to 70 percent. Loftus was just a sophomore last year so there will be some natural progression there. He completed 83 passes on 155 attempts for 1141 yards while throwing for 8 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions. Loftus also rushed for 118 yards and two touchdowns. He is facing a major push from sophomore Thomas Fitts (6’0 170). Fitts passed at a 52% clip completing 13 passes on 25 attempts for 147 yards and one touchdown with one interception. Coach Sanders has two promising young quarterbacks on his hands which means they are in great shape if one of them gets hurt.

Running Back: At running back sophomore Jack Johnson (5’11 185 4.50) was the leading rusher and is back. He had 379 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns on 58 carries last year as a freshman, receiving wise he had twelve catches for 67 yards. Foster Huggins is also back and is going to be a junior; he had 19 yards rushing but has 25 receptions for 224 yards under his belt from 2011. At the fullback spot will be senior Ryan Converse (5’11 180).

Wide Receiver: The spread offense requires lots of receivers who can catch the ball and there will be a problem of youth here with the top five pass catchers at receiver having graduated. Senior Chad Johnson (6’0 175 4.4) will hold up one receiver spot. Sophomores Winston Guillory (6’0 165 4.50) and Jason Goolsby (6’0 175 4.70) are slated to start in the 2012 season. Guillory is the only one with any stats from last year and that was one reception according to the Dallas Morning News. The team has size and speed here but they lack experience.

Offensive Line: Four lettermen are back from last year and will be joined by a newcomer. The bad news is that there are no seniors slated to start and three of the starters will only be sophomores. At center sophomore Kevin Kerr (6’0 215) has the starting nod, while junior Gerald Bulloch (5’11 185) and sophomore Heath Terry (5’11 185) will start at the guard spots. At the tackle spot will be lettermen Paul Cooke (sophomore 5’11 180) and junior Marshall Lefferts (6’4 270). The offensive line is young and lacks overall size except for Lefferts. The spread allows you to use smaller quick linemen so the overall size is not too much of a concern. The biggest concern is the lack of experience and not having experience working together. The offensive line has to have symmetry because it is truly a spot that is hurt by the weakest link, and with so much inexperience that is a big concern. Look for the line to gel as the season gets going but this much youth usually means trouble early in the season.

Defensive Overview: 4 returning starters
Defensive System: Multiple 4-3
All-District Returnees Defense: 0
All-State Returnees Defense: 0

Defensive Line: Youth is an issue here, as it is for nearly every position this year. Manning the defensive end spots will be promising sophomore Brock Anglin (6’6 220) and the speedy Nigel Nauls (5’11 225). Inside at the tackle spot is junior Jeff Patton (6’4 255) and senior nose guard Pete Etheridge (6’1 280). There is some speed here and some big-time size on the inside that will make running against the Eagles tough on any team. However, you have only one senior in the group.

Linebackers: This spot is youthful but they all were on the roster last year. On the outside senior Hunt Neurohr (5’11 190) returns and will be joined by sophomore Brock Neurohr (5’11 180). Both linebackers are speedy and are listed as running 4.6 in the forty. Inside will be junior speedster TJ Jackson (5’11 205) who also runs an impressive 4.6. This linebacking unit is built to defend the pass with the speed they have.

Defensive Backs: This is the most experienced unit for the Eagles because of two seniors starting in this group. At cornerback senior Tommy McNamara (5’11 175 4.60) brings experience to the plate and speed. He is joined by junior Grant Matzen (5’10 170 4.50). At strong safety is senior Nolan Pickens (6’1 190 4.70) and junior Foster Huggins (5’10 180 4.60) will start at free safety. This area has size and speed and more experience than other areas of the field.

Special Teams: Tyler Curtis is a senior and he will be handling the field goal and punting chores.

Overall: Coach Sanders has a tough job this year with the lack of seniors on the team. On defense he has the size and speed to play with anyone and this will be the strength of the team. With the youth of the offense the Eagles will be erratic early on. If one of the young guns has a breakout season then the offense can do damage, but it is always scary to have that many young men starting. A top college coach once said β€œfor everyone freshman you start you lose a gameβ€�. There is no freshmen starting here but there are a lot of sophomores. Look for an up and down season this year but this team should be special next year.

Alan Zepeda
Managing Editor
[ Lone Star Christian Sports Network ]LSCSN.com
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

Damn you guys are young!! It is almost unheard of for a Freshman to play any significant time on the varsity here, but it looks like you had 4 or 5 that played quite a bit last year from the preview.

That bodes well for the future though if they are talented enough to play varsity ball as frosh.

What are you expectations in buidling the program? Are you looking to go .500 or maybe a little better this season, then put together a couple of strong playoff runs as the youngsters gain experience?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Senator

My brother has a policy of never playing freshmen. The previous coach didn't. The upcoming soph class is really special. But young. Rival All Saints, who we play week 5, has 9 D1's playing on the team. That is really almost unheard of.

My expectations are whatever my brother's are; he sets those. He expects to compete for the playoffs, and win the state championship. Is that realistic? I would have said no the last 2 seasons at Kinkaid, but they did it. I have sort of stopped doubting this guy when he says something football related.

The soph QB, RB, and 2 WR's are really, really good. In my mind, if we go above .500, then it bodes well for the future.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Senator

Upcoming predictions for the state 7-7 tourney at Texas A&M. We are not expected to do much. Our soph QB is not going, (who qualified us), but All Saints is who everyone is in love with.

Division II 7 on 7 State Tournament Pool Previews Reply

Pool A

Much of the talk pre-tournament has centered around Stephenville and for good reason. The 'Jackets have been nothing short of dominant this summer as they've yet to lose a game in tournament or league play. This includes a tournament win in May with several 4A and 5A schools in attendance. Cameron Yoe was the runner up in 2010 at not only the state tournament, but also in the fall in 2A Division 1. The Yoemen advanced to state last year as well, but didn't have as dominant a run. However, they are back and appear to be poised to contend for a deep run in the winners bracket. Princeton will be as athletic as any team in the Division II bracket and they are making their second straight trip to A&M. The Panthers don't match up well with Stephenville, but their game against Yoe should be a test as that'll determine who makes the winners bracket. Somerset is making their third consecutive trip to the state tournament, but the Bulldogs don't appear to be a threat to challenge for a spot in the winners bracket.

Predicted Order of Finish 1) Stephenville 2) Cameron Yoe 3) Princeton 4) Somerset

Pool B

This is a grouping featuring many teams considered to be relative unknowns. Gatesville has been the one constant at the State Tournament and the Hornets have been known to make a deep run or two, they've got the kind of team that can get it done once again. Gatesville doesn't wow you with athleticism, they are just a solid group across the board that's well schooled in 7 on 7. The real battle could be for second in this group, Houston Worthing qualified as a Division I school and their speed will be a challenge for Childress and Dallas Episcopal. Childress has been to the state tournament multiple times, but the Bobcats have not advanced to the winners bracket.

Predicted Order of Finish 1) Gatesville 2) Houston Worthing 3) Dallas Episcopal 4) Childress

Pool C

It took Brownwood a while to qualify for state, in fact the Lions needed until the very last week to qualify at their own SQT. However, Brownwood got a fairly reasonable draw and its not out of the realm of possibility to think Brownwood can win this pool. Frisco Lone Star could qualify as a pick for major sleeper, the Rangers have a very good QB and plenty of speedy weapons around him. Despite being a Slot T team during the fall, Lago Vista has been more than competitive in 7 on7 recently, they run their normal offense and they usually play solid defense and that keep them in a lot of games. I don't expect much from Palacios who qualified at their own tournament.

Predicted Order of Finish 1) Brownwood 2) Frisco Lone Star 3) Lago Vista 4) Palacios

Pool D

There won't be many teams in the Division II bracket with as much talent as Fort Worth All Saints, the recruitniks will be out in full force to check out the Saints bevy of talent. Liberty has an outstanding QB of their own so expect a lot of eyes on this pool. The real battle will be for second as All Saints looks like a favorite, Rockdale has the 7 on 7 pedigree, Liberty has the QB and Ballinger is a tough scrappy bunch who always seems to play over their heads. Rockdale has performed well in qualifiers against tough competition so give the Tigers the edge on making the winners bracket along with All Saints.

Predicted Order of Finish 1) Fort Worth All Saints 2) Rockdale 3) Ballinger 4) Liberty

Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Will be fun to follow this for the next 3 seasons and even passing league is a big deal in Texas, holy shit, a state tournament!! I love it, I need to move there and coach!!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Will be fun to follow this for the next 3 seasons and even passing league is a big deal in Texas, holy shit, a state tournament!! I love it, I need to move there and coach!!

You do! It is such a big deal here, and I am having so much fun. I only listed through pool D above, but 64 teams qualify for 7-7 state, just like in the fall post season.

They did an analysis and a high percentage of teams that made it to the 7-7 state tourney in Texas went deep in the playoffs.

My brother swears it was the difference maker in Kinkaid. By the time fall season came around, the offense was in full swing. I know its keeping the guys in great shape, and we are getting a rhythm going with the QBs on play calling and communication that will be sharp by fall.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Senator

Won vs Childress 35-28
Lost to Houston Worthing 20-18
Lost to Gatesville 34-20

in round robin pool play.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Senator

Day 2 - Had a nice run in single elimination.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Senator

Daryl Johnston ‏@DarylJohnston

@CoachSandersESD Great job coach and congrats to the boys. Amazing what you have done in such a short time.
View conversation

Retweeted
Favorite

19 Jul Daryl Johnston Daryl Johnston ‏@DarylJohnston

@CoachSandersESD It looks like you fixed the slow start issue.
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

19 Jul Daryl Johnston Daryl Johnston ‏@DarylJohnston

@CoachSandersESD Congrats on game 1. Good luck next round. Go Eagles!
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Senator

Let's just say the famous Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine doesn't think much of our little team.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Senator

Spent the weekend at my brothers coaches retreat at a 300 acre place donated to the school. Most of these retreats seem to be for the guys to get away from their families and drink beer, but this one we worked our asses off, got to know each other, and go into the season one mind.
Real proud of how my brother handled his staff, he is growing right before my eyes. He also handed out about 400 dollars worth of Nike Team Coaching Gear to each coach, looks great.

He has a few older coaches in leadership roles, and about 8 younger ones who are hungry to learn, smart, and come with great references.

There are about 16 total coaches down to the freshman level.

Next up - 2 a days.

Last edited by Senator : 08-05-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just wow, a 300 acre place donated to the school!! I really want to come coach in Texas!!

Are your two a days the traditional morning/afternoon type or just longer practices? (which is what we have to do here in AZ)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Senator

BYU,

This isn't really representative of schools. He landed at Jerry Jones central and gets these perks that are rare for anyone really. Every time my brother and I get caught up in all the facilities and perks, he or I say, "0-10". Meaning, if the wins don't come, this is all just a sweet memory.

They changed the format. I still call it two-a-days because I am getting old, I guess. Practice on the field goes from 7am to 10am, then a power snack, then 10:30-12:00 is weight workouts, then lunch till 1, then 1-3 we have breakout classes by position coach to go over playbook, film study, and walk through's in the gym. Let players out at 3, coaches watch practice film and get prepared for the next day's practice - coaches let out at 6pm.

Last edited by Senator : 08-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
Senator

After a 100+ degree 2 weeks of workouts, we get to hit someone else tonight in a scrimmage. Should be fun. First game of the season, two weeks from tonight.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
After a 100+ degree 2 weeks of workouts, we get to hit someone else tonight in a scrimmage. Should be fun. First game of the season, two weeks from tonight.

Scrimmages all over Georgia tonight as well, most teams kick off for real next weekend. We get to enjoy a (relatively) brisk 90 degree day instead of 100s

Luck to you guys.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-17-2012 at 04:34 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I know this has jacksquat to do with football but ... it's a really small world.

Flipping through my son's FB page tonight & I see a pic of a former classmate of his who moved away last year ... and he's wearing a t-shirt from your school's hoops camp. I look a little deeper through his page, there he is with what I guess would be an 8th grade basketball trophy, wearing his ESD uniform (which I assume is you guys)
Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
Senator

That's us. We get alot of camps and finals (I know the NCAA lacrosse finals has been played there) events.

Our 3 team scrimmage went well. We played a good team and won 6-3, and then played a school that went 9-3 last season and we won 5-0. Injuries be damned, we will compete.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Senator

Friday we scrimmaged a top 3a school and won pretty easily. Not sure what to think.

Our first regular season game is next Friday. We have spent the last 2 days using HUDL to scout, scout, scout. I think we will be more than ok this coming Friday. Brother Clay could have his first recorded head coaching victory if everyone does their job. I will be up in the air conditioned booth calling plays. YEAH!!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
Alf
Pro Starter

Following along. Fascinating so far.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #21
Senator

God, it wasn't air conditioned and we were down 17-7 early, but we settled in and took care of business 42-17. Good to get this behind us, and look to next week. We are 1-0.

Every single team on our schedule won tonight. It's going to be a fist fight all year.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
MIJB#19
Coordinator

(just a note that I'm reading along)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Senator

Our next opponent is in four days. You grind all spring and summer, then grind in the late August heat, and then BAM, it's there - game time - and it comes quick week to week.

Gruden would be proud of the film junkies we are. Using HUDL, I can scout and watch games anywhere. I was waiting for my wife to come out of the store on the way back from dinner, and I watched all the cut ups from their cover 3 package. Amazing what we can do these days.

The team we play this week won their opener 42-35. They have a running back that had 2000 yards rushing last season. We need to stop him, obviously as he had 5 TDs and 280yds this past week. Defensively, they look very weak to me. We have to execute, and instead of getting in a track meet with them, have some 10 play drives and eat them up little by little.

Next post will be highlights from opener.

Note that our QB, RB, and 4 receivers on this video are sophomores.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Gruden would be proud of the film junkies we are. Using HUDL, I can scout and watch games anywhere ... Amazing what we can do these days.

Echo re: HUDL being amazing. I get home from games & the film is often available before we get back from wherever. That's just kinda mindboggling.

It's been interesting to me to watch coaches adapt to it, pretty eagerly once they realize that they don't have to meet the next opponent at a Waffle House halfway between towns to swap game films
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

HUDL is the greatest thing ever, we just got it this season and it is amazing. I used to be up until 2:30-3:00 am Saturday morning putting the scout cards and game plan together for our Frosh games.

With HUDL I was in bed before midnight this last week
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
Senator

Game Time. Going to be touch and go with this one.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Senator

Lost to 21-13. That D1 back had 34 carries for 280 yds. Damn.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #28
Senator

Back up 4 hours later for my son's round robin scrimmage. Coaching on fumes.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
Senator

Coach Sanders interviewed by News about concussions. Moose gets more air time!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #30
Alf
Pro Starter

The Moose is still in great shape !
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The Moose was on with BaD Radio on The Ticket yesterday and gave your brother a plug for what he's doing.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote