Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Minions of Mirth RPG

Prairie games just released Minions of Mirth.

Minions of Mirth is a massively single player, multiplayer, persistent world RPG. Here is an edited version of the press release with features.

"Minions of Mirth gives the player an incredible amount of freedom in their role-playing experience! It can be played in single player, multiplayer, and even allows friends to run their own custom persistent worlds.

Minions of Mirth is available for Windows and OSX at http://www.prairiegames.com for the special price of $25 through January 31st, 2006. The full price of the game will be $29.95 and there are no monthly service fees. Prairie Games, Inc hosts the complimentary PrairieWorld server and there are also community hosted worlds to play on. Minions of Mirth is also fully playable in single player with no internet connection.

Minions of Mirth Features:

* Auto-patcher that delivers immediate content and feature upgrades
* Full single player support
* Player vs Environment and Player vs Player multiplayer
* No monthly service fees for multiplayer
* Form your own party of up to 6 characters. Join other players in online alliances with up to 36 characters
* 16 playable classes, 12 playable races, Multiclass characters in three careers up to level 100
* 3 playable realms: Fellowship of Light, Minions of Darkness, and the Monster Realm
* 14 huge and diverse zones to explore
* Unlock monster templates to create your own stable of monsters
* Epic Battle System
* A tremendous amount of unique NPC, creatures, items, and quests
* 2 hours of original music
* Free dedicated world server with source code is available. Host your own persistent world with your own original content

Demo is available. I've been playing it for a few hours now and it reminds me of Everquest when it first came out. Graphics are fair, not incredible but the core RPG gameplay is great. Enjoying it so far and love the idea that you can host your own world for friends to join.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 12-17-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
hukarez
College Starter

Wow...

Really tempted to give this a shot...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
hukarez
College Starter

Addendum...

Went ahead and downloading the 'Gameplay trailer' which is about 106 megs... looks rather impressive, actually.

I'll probably download the demo, and give this a shot. The graphics kind of remind me of Wizardry 8... but I have to admit; I'm always curious of independent vendors making games like this.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Yellow5
High School Varsity

The game has it's quirks and there is always room for improvement, but it's fun and that's the main thing. The graphics are a little old school and remond me of the first versions of Everquest.

It has a nice macro system which allows you to control the other members of your party quickly. Great for healing and casting spells. You can level your characters to 100, including your alternate/multi classes.

Even playing single player you are able to logon to their global chat server while you play. I spent some time last night asking the dev questions and he was never a jerk about answering them.

The forums are your best source for info if you grab the demo because there is no manual. Would love to hear what you think once you've played the demo.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5
The game has it's quirks and there is always room for improvement, but it's fun and that's the main thing. The graphics are a little old school and remond me of the first versions of Everquest.

It has a nice macro system which allows you to control the other members of your party quickly. Great for healing and casting spells. You can level your characters to 100, including your alternate/multi classes.

Even playing single player you are able to logon to their global chat server while you play. I spent some time last night asking the dev questions and he was never a jerk about answering them.

The forums are your best source for info if you grab the demo because there is no manual. Would love to hear what you think once you've played the demo.
Hey Yellow5, do you happen to know what the friggin' System Requirements are for the Windows version?? I've been clicking left and right on the site, to see if it'll run on my old laptop, but I can't find a thing regarding actual requirements....
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Not posted anywhere, they are working on getting that posted. Lowest system specs I've seen are: 1.4 ghz Celeron, 224 MB ram, 64 mb Geforce 2

I assume the guy has most options turned down to get it running on a system like that.

I am running it on a 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, Radeon 9800 pro in 1280 x 1024 with default settings. Choppy is some spots but everything else runs smooth.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Not posted anywhere, they are working on getting that posted. Lowest system specs I've seen are: 1.4 ghz Celeron, 224 MB ram, 64 mb Geforce 2

I assume the guy has most options turned down to get it running on a system like that.

I am running it on a 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, Radeon 9800 pro in 1280 x 1024 with default settings. Choppy is some spots but everything else runs smooth.
Hmm. Sounds like this bad boy won't run on my archaic laptop then. I guess I'll have to go with my desktop setup to try this out.

Do you play the single player, or the multiplayer component?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I've been playing single player onl at this point. Just trying to learn my way around and get a feel for it.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I've been playing single player onl at this point. Just trying to learn my way around and get a feel for it.
Got the demo installed - it seems pretty cool so far. I wasn't sure if I clicked on something wrong, made a test character just to mess around with. It's going to take some time getting used to the controls, and I accidentally closed the lower right hand window -- couldn't tell what my results from attacks/getting attacked were.

Thing is, I think I accidentally went multiplayer on the Demo? Not too sure how/why, but there looked like an IRC window in the bottom right, with folks talking and stuff. Couldn't tell if I was on the same server they were or what not...so I got thrown for a bit of a loop.

Did you already buy this, Yellow5? Or are you still tinkering around with the Demo like me?
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 12-18-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
Yellow5
High School Varsity

While playing single player, you can connect to the global chat channel and talk to people while playing solo which is probably what happened. Kind of nice when you have a question.

There is a multiplayer server for the demo, but not many people on it.

edit: And I purchased it so I could access the code base and stuff. Enjoying it for what it is, and it's still in development with more additions coming.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 12-18-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
hukarez
College Starter

Ah, cool beans.

I guess there's quite a few people connected to that global server chat stuff -- really, really cool. You know, I just might go right ahead and pick this sucker up!

The free online component thing intrigues me, running into other folks. I'm assuming the MP component is a lot like the SP component, but with other folks mixed in with the NPCs? Anyways, I'll probably see what I can do, depending on fundage.

$25 sounds pretty feasible. Of course, it's probably best I get the hang of what the hell it is I'm doing, and how to turn left and right, rather than strafe...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I would play through the demo as much as you can before you purchase. I just started chars on the "dark" side and find that part of the world appears to have more things to do and feels like more effort was put into it.

For me, it's a good reason to jump into Python code.

I used to run a MUD and code in LPmud (kinda like c) and loved it but have not done it in a long time. This reminds me so much of that stuff that it sparked my interest.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
hukarez
College Starter

Haha! MUDs...

Last one I played was 'Moral Decay', many, many moons ago. Then all these DikuMUDs and Rom's and all sorts of variants popped up.

Ah, the good ol' 90s.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Urge to create the FOFC world rising...
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:48 AM   #15
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Urge to create the FOFC world rising...

If your familar with Python, pretty much the entire game logic is open for you to tinker with. I'm digging out some old books and brushing up on the language myself, to create a game for my old MUD/eq/DAOC/eq2 friends to just have some fun with. It looks like this could be a decent lowend "MMORPG" toolkit for those who want one and don't feel like using pirated or hacked together commercial server source (and don't mind a bit outdated graphics.).
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hmm. I'll see about resurrecting my old machine and getting it set up when I get home from the folks in a couple of days. The mighty FOFC server shall live!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:32 AM   #17
aran
High School Varsity

I can offer my services to help with coding, although i don't know if i want to actually play the game. I know a good deal of C++ and Java and i've done some python coding (mainly small little things).

I'd love to get involved with scripting for a game.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote