Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #26951
miked
College Starter

So you think it's cool and does not discourage voting when 600,000 have like 2 polling places because the GOP state legislatures shutter all the polling places? I'm sure in you took the rural half of GA and told them they could all vote in 1 place and may have to drive hours (when they do not get off work) and wait in 6 hour lines, you would see a massive decrease.

Closing down polling places is suppression. Closing down polling places and then removing mailboxes and shuttering post office infrastructure in August down 10 points is the definition of suppression. They even told you it was in interviews and articles.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #26952
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
How it is possibly a multi-day process? Let's forget that most of the states allow mail in or absentee voting. But let's just talk a place where Kentucky where I don't think you can do either. It takes multiple days to vote?

The guy in Washington has suggested it may take years for this particular election, since ballots are destined to be stolen and all.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #26953
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
How are the citizens of the twin cities going to vote by mail look what the GOP did to these post offices! Oh wait no that was those peaceful protests right?

Police: 'Umbrella Man' was a white supremacist trying to incite Floyd rioting - StarTribune.com

Just wanted to be clear how it started. Protests were peaceful there until this dude showed up and reached his goal.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #26954
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There's a large number of people out there that work long ass days (sometimes multiple jobs), don't have a polling location close to them or their polling location has hours long lines. They get to work their day, go stand in line to vote, and still figure out dinner for their family, take the kids to practice, pick them up from school/daycare, and take care of their other daily duties.

Do people figure this out and still vote? Sure. But making voting easier definitively raises turnout so it's not that these people prefer not to vote. People that are getting their ass kicked by life are just generally less likely to justify taking the time to go stand in line.

Yeah sorry I'm not upset with this scenario. It's one day every 2 or 4 years. You could skip the practices, pick up fast food, and stand in line. No problem if you don't want to but it's not being suppressed.

And my question is why are the people getting their ass kicked in life necessarily a net gain for Democrats?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #26955
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Police: 'Umbrella Man' was a white supremacist trying to incite Floyd rioting - StarTribune.com

Just wanted to be clear how it started. Protests were peaceful there until this dude showed up and reached his goal.

He burned down both post offices? Wow! Wonder if a white supremacist caused the gas stations in St. Louis to burn down and the off duty cop to be shot also.

Goes back to the fact that you and I can somehow control ourselves and not commit crimes but the people who looted and burned down post offices just couldn't stop themselves since a white supremacist broke out some windows.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #26956
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
The guy in Washington has suggested it may take years for this particular election, since ballots are destined to be stolen and all.

JPhillips said it takes people multiple days to vote. Not counting the votes just the act of voting.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #26957
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah sorry I'm not upset with this scenario. It's one day every 2 or 4 years. You could skip the practices, pick up fast food, and stand in line. No problem if you don't want to but it's not being suppressed.

And my question is why are the people getting their ass kicked in life necessarily a net gain for Democrats?

Purposely making it more difficult to vote is suppression even if it's still possible to vote. I don't know how you don't see it that way, but it's called suppression not prevention. Just go vote anyway when you're working multiple jobs and still not making ends meet is easy for some to say but ignores the real problem. It's basically a variation of the bootstraps bullshit.

We don't really know who it's a net gain for honestly, but we have one party that encourages people to vote and one party that wants less people to vote. You may not see it as a big deal, but if your platform depends on less people voting then your platform sucks.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #26958
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Purposely making it more difficult to vote is suppression even if it's still possible to vote. I don't know how you don't see it that way, but it's called suppression not prevention. Just go vote anyway when you're working multiple jobs and still not making ends meet is easy for some to say but ignores the real problem. It's basically a variation of the bootstraps bullshit.

We don't really know who it's a net gain for honestly, but we have one party that encourages people to vote and one party that wants less people to vote. You may not see it as a big deal, but if your platform depends on less people voting then your platform sucks.

Is it not suppression when the two party system doesnt allow other parties in the presidential debates? Or is that just the way things are? Not a fan of the GOP, would love to have nationwide mail in or even electronic voting. But also dont feel like this or Big bad Russia is why the Democrats are losing presidential elections. Obama was able to win in landslides... maybe it's the shitty candidates?

The bootstraps arguement is about someones lifetime. This is an event that happens once every 4 years.

Last edited by panerd : 08-18-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #26959
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
JPhillips said it takes people multiple days to vote. Not counting the votes just the act of voting.

JFC, do you not read?

Many, maybe most, I don't know the exact number, states require a separate registration that must be done weeks before the election. That, by definition, means voting requires work on multiple days.

Unlike some European countries where everyone is automatically registered and sent a voting card when you reach the legal age.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #26960
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You not caring about voter suppression doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'm happy to concede the point that you don't care.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #26961
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
JFC, do you not read?

Many, maybe most, I don't know the exact number, states require a separate registration that must be done weeks before the election. That, by definition, means voting requires work on multiple days.

Unlike some European countries where everyone is automatically registered and sent a voting card when you reach the legal age.

And why must something that is so simple for me and probably for you have to definitely be so foreboding to someone else? Maybe as I have said they just dont give a shit about voting? Not a bad person but dont think Trump or Biden effects their lives at all. It is not hard to register to vote to claim it is for minorities is subtle racism IMO. I can do it but you are less than me so it must be a huge chore for you.

Last edited by panerd : 08-18-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #26962
tarcone
Coordinator

No way Trump loses. Biden is all about what could be and Trump is about what is.

This is ridiculous. Jimmy Carter? Oh my.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #26963
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You not caring about voter suppression doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'm happy to concede the point that you don't care.

Not everyone has time in their day to post 2000 times in the Trump thread I agree but they probably have time to fill out a voter registration card. How condescending are you? People lower than you are just incapable of putting together a day to register and a day to vote? Subtle racism on your part?

Last edited by panerd : 08-18-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #26964
tarcone
Coordinator

And lets throw out Blpow job guy. Thee goes your Epstein arguement.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #26965
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

MyPillow CEO Lindell Says White House Asked Him To Look For ‘Cures’ For Covid-19

Somehow this is not a parody headline.

And just for kicks:

Old 08-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #26966
RainMaker
General Manager

Probably because you don't live in an area where it requires 5 hours in line to vote. Or part of a demographic being purged from the voting rolls.

Do you really think voter suppression is not a thing? Republicans go on the record saying it is part of their strategy to winning. But maybe you know more than them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #26967
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Not everyone has time in their day to post 2000 times in the Trump thread I agree but they probably have time to fill out a voter registration card. How condescending are you? People lower than you are just incapable of putting together a day to register and a day to vote? Subtle racism on your part?

No, complete ignorance on yours, sadly.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #26968
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Probably because you don't live in an area where it requires 5 hours in line to vote. Or part of a demographic being purged from the voting rolls.

Do you really think voter suppression is not a thing? Republicans go on the record saying it is part of their strategy to winning. But maybe you know more than them.

I'm stuck on the 2 day thing honestly. So I register in let's say August or September and this is a long drawn out multi hour process? No some people just dont care or want to vote. They arent Democrats dying to vote. Where are the 5 hour lines specifically because I will offer some solutions if you give me a city.

How long did it take you to register to vote? How long does it take you to vote?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #26969
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
No, complete ignorance on yours, sadly.

Ignorance is claiming registering to vote is this big chore that people really want to do but just cant do. I saw 60 Mizzou football players did it in one day...

Missouri football players register to vote after leading march
Old 08-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #26970
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That must mean John Lewis was a racist. Same for Obama, too. It's all about race because that's the easiest way to target Dem voters. What other group can you define that's 90% likely to vote Dem? And it just so happens that decades of housing policy has also made it pretty easy to find almost all-black neighborhoods and voting precincts. You can't target individual voters spaced around the state, but you can target all the people that live in neighborhood X.

It's like stealing a car. Everything we do, from rolling up the windows, to locking the doors, to parking in a garage, to using a car alarm, etc. don't keep people from being able to steal your car. Each thing, though, makes it more difficult and time consuming, so with each protective measure some people decide not to bother. That's voter suppression. It won't stop somebody from voting, but each hurdle means some number of people won't bother. Put up enough hurdles and you might swing a close election.

It is pretty simple for me, although it could be much easier even in NY. But that's because I'm not being targeted. Most importantly, I live in NY and the state government isn't running supression efforts. But if they were, my demographic points to me being more likely to vote GOP.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #26971
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ignorance is claiming registering to vote is this big chore that people really want to do but just cant do. I saw 60 Mizzou football players did it in one day...

When did I say can't?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #26972
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm stuck on the 2 day thing honestly. So I register in let's say August or September and this is a long drawn out multi hour process? No some people just dont care or want to vote. They arent Democrats dying to vote. Where are the 5 hour lines specifically because I will offer some solutions if you give me a city.

How long did it take you to register to vote? How long does it take you to vote?

Atlanta had 5 hour waits. Milwaukee had 2 hour waits on average.

In Georgia, they added an exact match law before a Governor race that would see a lot of new voters being added. This would put your registration in pending status if you added an extra character or misplaced a hyphen in your address. Even stuff like typing Avenue when it's listed as Ave on your license would flag it.

It doesn't take me long to register or vote. But I'm in a state (and nice neighborhood) that isn't trying to suppress it at this time.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #26973
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Seventh Circuit Hears Oral Arguments in Wisconsin Voter ID Case | American Civil Liberties Union

Quote:
the ACLU presented evidence showing that hundreds of thousands of Wisconsin voters lacked ID; that African-American and Latino voters, who have been subjected to historical and continuing segregation and discrimination in Wisconsin, were far more likely to lack ID and the documents needed to get ID than whites; that there are significant burdens imposed on voters trying to get ID; and that the government lacks strong enough reason to impose these burdens.

Quote:
Another voter, Eddie Lee Holloway Jr., was unable to get ID because his birth certificate read "Eddie Junior Holloway" instead of "Eddie Lee Holloway Junior."

Googling for more:

A Black Man Brought 3 Forms of ID to the Polls in Wisconsin. He Still Couldn’t Vote. | The Nation

Quote:
He brought his expired Illinois photo ID, birth certificate, and Social Security card to get a photo ID for voting, but the DMV in Milwaukee rejected his application because the name on his birth certificate read “Eddie Junior Holloway,” the result of a clerical error when it was issued.

Holloway, who worked as a cook in Illinois but is now unemployed and disabled, living with his family in Milwaukee, got a ride downtown to the Vital Records System to try to fix his birth certificate. Vital Records said it would cost between $400 and $600, which Holloway could not afford.

The article goes on to document 7 total steps the man took to try to get a voter ID without success.

this is the purpose of voter id laws in america

It's not that people are incompetant or lazy, there are ACTIVE EFFORTS TO MAKE IT HARDER TO VOTE. These things get combined with the reduction of voting stations, purging of voter rolls and countless other things designed to require active monitoring and active effort far above and beyond anything most of us have to do, and the active intent is to make it harder people (that just happen to be predominantly non-white) to vote.

Last edited by Radii : 08-18-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #26974
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Atlanta had 5 hour waits. Milwaukee had 2 hour waits on average.

In Georgia, they added an exact match law before a Governor race that would see a lot of new voters being added. This would put your registration in pending status if you added an extra character or misplaced a hyphen in your address. Even stuff like typing Avenue when it's listed as Ave on your license would flag it.

It doesn't take me long to register or vote. But I'm in a state (and nice neighborhood) that isn't trying to suppress it at this time.

Solved the 5 hour wait...

Absentee ballots | Georgia voters can apply now | 11alive.com

Solved the 2 hour wait...

I want to vote absentee | Wisconsin Elections Commission

But I guess this is too much to ask right? Or what is the next excuse?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #26975
RainMaker
General Manager

My favorite thing is when people pretend something isn't happening despite the people doing it admitting to it.

Who are you arguing with panerd? They literally admit what they are trying to do here.

Trump adviser tells Wisconsin Republicans party suppresses votes - Chicago Tribune
Old 08-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #26976
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
But are they putting the machines/mail boxes back? Or they just sitting on the damage they already have done? I am not seeing confirmation the machines have been put back in place.

I'm going with the highest voted reddit answer in the thread about this: "DeJoy: Okay, okay I'll stop! Now that I'm already done..."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-18-2020 at 09:32 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #26977
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When did I say can't?

You didn't. The people not as capable as you have this huge process to register which you have yet to explain why it is hard. And then I was asking Rainmaker because most states allow mail in which avoids the 5 hour lines and the people who work 3 jobs from even having to vote on election day. Still trying to figure out what is difficult about registering to vote and voting.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #26978
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I hope the anti-conservative arguments you claim to make on conservative leaning boards aren't as dumb as the anti-liberal arguments you make here.

SI

Old 08-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #26979
Radii
Head Coach

hxxp://www.kqed.org/lowdown/14543/how-to-navigate-americas-perplexing-patchwork-of-voting-laws

Portions of the voting rights act were scaled back in 2013 and 16 states with Republican led legislatures decided to make it harder to either register to vote or to actually vote.

Quote:
North Carolina's 2013 voter ID law was recently struck down by a federal appeals court, which found that the law was intentionally aimed at the black vote. Two separate court rulings this summer scaled back new voting restrictions in Texas and Wisconsin.

Some of the ones that were the most obvious (including the above one in Wisconsin that was used for the primaries before being relaxed for the presidential election) were struck down for intentionally targeting black voters. That is to say - the supreme court of the united states of america stated that at least in some cases - laws were being intentionally enacted to make it harder for black people to vote. Something tells me that extremely similar laws just slightly more clever in their racist goals may actually have that effect.

Quote:
In one recent study, political scientists at the University of California, San Diego compared voter turnout from 2008 to 2012 in states that did and did not implement strict voter ID laws. In states that began enforcing these laws, voter participation decreased markedly, particularly among blacks, Hispanics and mixed-race groups.

Last edited by Radii : 08-18-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #26980
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My favorite thing is when people pretend something isn't happening despite the people doing it admitting to it.

Who are you arguing with panerd? They literally admit what they are trying to do here.

Trump adviser tells Wisconsin Republicans party suppresses votes - Chicago Tribune

I'm arguing with the idea that it is hard to vote in this country.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #26981
tarcone
Coordinator

If Biden goes globalism, which he is, he loses.

This country is way to the nationalistic side. Nationalism before all.

Trump wins if Biden goes that strategy.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #26982
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

And both of us are throwing countless sources at you showing that the GOP is intentionally trying to make it harder to vote, and is doing so successfully. So WHY are you still arguing is probably the better question.

The supreme court has agreed in the more blatant cases, the GOP has openly admitted it multiple times in multiple forums, numerous studies show the impact of it. So, what's really going on, hmm?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #26983
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It is harder to vote for some people. Also harder to register for some people.

If you provide an option for in-person voting, it should be equal for everyone. One group shouldn't vote in 10 minutes while others wait 5 hours. It's ridiculous to argue that they should have anticipated a 5 hour wait and ordered a mail-in ballot a month or so earlier.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #26984
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Why is one party trying so hard and admitting to these tactics if it doesn't work? Seems like a huge waste of time from people who have spent their lives in this field.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #26985
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
hxxp://www.kqed.org/lowdown/14543/how-to-navigate-americas-perplexing-patchwork-of-voting-laws

Portions of the voting rights act were scaled back in 2013 and 16 states with Republican led legislatures decided to make it harder to either register to vote or to actually vote.

Some of the ones that were the most obvious (including the above one in Wisconsin that was used for the primaries before being relaxed for the presidential election) were struck down for intentionally targeting black voters. That is to say - the supreme court of the united states of america stated that at least in some cases - laws were being intentionally enacted to make it harder for black people to vote. Something tells me that extremely similar laws just slightly more clever in their racist goals may actually have that effect.

But it's not condescending and racist to continue to use stuff like Wisconsin as your focal point of your argument when you can register any day of the week and can vote absentee for any reason? Everyone in Wisconsin can vote with a short trip to a multitude of agencies to register at any point and then by requesting an absentee ballot and sending it in or god forbid taking it in. The long waits are just red herrings they don't effect voting this way at all.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #26986
Radii
Head Coach

Listen, just tell us you're a racist so we can stop arguing. We all know it. Why the charade?

Last edited by Radii : 08-18-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #26987
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It is harder to vote for some people. Also harder to register for some people.

If you provide an option for in-person voting, it should be equal for everyone. One group shouldn't vote in 10 minutes while others wait 5 hours. It's ridiculous to argue that they should have anticipated a 5 hour wait and ordered a mail-in ballot a month or so earlier.

So now it's not the 5 hour wait but something else. Of course...

Last edited by panerd : 08-18-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #26988
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Listen, just tell us you're a racist so we can stop arguing. We all know it. Why the charade?

OMG!!! He disagrees with the echo chamber. RACIST!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #26989
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Then why does the right continually engage in efforts to make it more difficult? If it doesn't work why do it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #26990
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So now it's not the 5 hour wait but something else. Of course...

The 5 hour wait is absolutely a form of suppression. How do you see some people voting in 10 minutes in person and others waiting 5 hours to vote in person and call that fair?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #26991
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The balloting/election stuff is certainly relevant but it shouldn't be ignored that the USPS is also very near literal financial collapse & the recent changes that were put in place both limited their income & explicitly delayed the sorting and delivery of first class mail.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #26992
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Then why does the right continually engage in efforts to make it more difficult? If it doesn't work why do it?

You see, they just haven't figured out over the last 150 years that voter suppression doesn't exist in this country.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #26993
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
If Biden goes globalism, which he is, he loses.

This country is way to the nationalistic side. Nationalism before all.

Trump wins if Biden goes that strategy.

Polling has shown a continued rise in support for immigration and free trade over the Trump years. Even things like working with allies can be seen at higher levels than in 2016.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #26994
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In the NC case Radii mentioned the court said the GOP was targeting African-American voters, "with almost surgical precision."
Old 08-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #26995
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Last edited by panerd : 08-18-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #26996
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
And why must something that is so simple for me and probably for you have to definitely be so foreboding to someone else? Maybe as I have said they just dont give a shit about voting? Not a bad person but dont think Trump or Biden effects their lives at all. It is not hard to register to vote to claim it is for minorities is subtle racism IMO. I can do it but you are less than me so it must be a huge chore for you.

Quote:

Ummm?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-18-2020 at 10:02 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #26997
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

2020 brings us this headline, which will barely even register as only like the 237th most crazy thing to happen this year:

Quote:
Trump says "we'll look at" treating COVID with an untested, toxic plant extract touted by MyPillow CEO

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-o...t-toxic-plant/

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-18-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #26998
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Ummm?

Yep. Why I deleted it. Also why I am calling it a night.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #26999
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yup.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #27000
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I think it is time for everyone to retreat to their corners....
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote