Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2023, 01:41 PM   #601
PilotMan
Head Coach

Don't miss it since I deleted my account. Won't miss it. Feels like a perfect example of someone overvaluing their product.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:43 PM   #602
PilotMan
Head Coach

Apparently it's a short term solution to deal with some world wide outages he's complaining about.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #603
whomario
Pro Starter

Over/Under on him coming up with a state of the art solution he will call the "Captcha"?

As an aside: For someone constantly doing a "just one of the blokes" Impression, he sure uses swollen languange in these announcements. Also, maybe come up with an understandable message rather than "sorry, you are rate limited".
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2023 at 01:55 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:08 PM   #604
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I mean, he is even limiting the people are stupid enough to pay for the meaningless blue check-mark. That suggests to me that this a money thing. He is losing too much money on Twitter to put any more in.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:31 PM   #605
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Eventually not paying the bills has repercussions.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:48 PM   #606
RainMaker
General Manager

They haven't been paying vendors for over 6 months. The company just has no money to operate.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:13 PM   #607
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's an interesting experiment in how long rich people/companies can get away with not paying bills.

6 months (and possibly the start of the new financial quarter) seems to be the point.

Which is about 5 months, 30 days, and 23 hours more grace than my landlord would have given me if I stopped paying rent :-)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #608
MJ4H
Coordinator

For the record, I've been using Post since I deleted Twitter. It's the most Twitter like alternative I've seen and I really like it so far.

https://post.news/
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #609
GrantDawg

I have a Post. I just haven't really used it. I still am a part of a thriving fan community there that hasn't moved on. That and the Braves community I will miss the most because other places are way more toxic.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #610
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I did Post early on but I haven't looked at it in months. It was too much of a politics-only echo chamber. Maybe it's changed since then.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:13 PM   #611
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes, it lacks the variety that Twitter has because the userbase is still very small, but it's a nice tight design that is similar to Twitter. Haven't found anything similar with a bigger userbase.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:49 PM   #612
GrantDawg

I'm reading this really comes down to Twitter not renewing a contract with Google's cloud services. The contract ran out yesterday

Old 07-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #613
MIJB#19
Coordinator

How about that, it's no longer possible to read random non-sense on Twitter if you don't have an account. Fair enough, I didn't reach much of anything anyway, the rare times I did, it was purely to check whether people that were sharing links to twitter were not making stuff up and were actually using the actual source of information. I do hope people around the web understand how this works now and from here on stop posting links to twitter.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:43 AM   #614
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm confused, is Twitter rate limited or just totally shut off for non-users? I see stuff about being limited to 600 posts a day, but I just get "Something went wrong" when I try to view any posts, even ones from Elon.

Not that I mind; I left Twitter for a reason. I'm just curious to understand what the actual change is.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #615
GrantDawg

Both.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:03 AM   #616
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm confused, is Twitter rate limited or just totally shut off for non-users? I see stuff about being limited to 600 posts a day, but I just get "Something went wrong" when I try to view any posts, even ones from Elon.

Not that I mind; I left Twitter for a reason. I'm just curious to understand what the actual change is.

Shut off without login, limit with login*, higher limit for 'verified'.

* Though seems like he quietly changed it back maybe.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #617
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Interesting. Seems like Twitter will instantly be less useful for news outlets. Hopefully that is the catalyst for a real move away from the platform.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-03-2023, 06:44 PM   #618
GrantDawg

Twitter is so much more empty in my time-line than before. I think this might have been the final straw. Now this Threads thing is coming out Thursday. I have a feeling it might be the alternative where the masses move.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-03-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 07:37 AM   #619
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Now this Threads thing is coming out Thursday. I have a feeling it might be the alternative where the masses move.

Imo moving towards Meta is not really an improvement. We need a startup or something not affiliated with one of the existing giants.
Old 07-04-2023, 08:27 AM   #620
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Imo moving towards Meta is not really an improvement. We need a startup or something not affiliated with one of the existing giants.
As much as I agree, I have a feeling that because this is going to be more stable that most new products and I assume will use a Facebook/Instagram log in that most people already have, that this will probably win by default.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #621
Flasch186
Coordinator

The innovation it would take and capital make it impossible to compete against the big guys without the big guys making an unreal mistake.

Capitalism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #622
Ksyrup

I see Threads is active. It's tied into Instagram, though. What does that mean? I don't have any interest in an Instagram account or using that app.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-05-2023, 08:17 PM   #623
RainMaker
General Manager

It kind of sucks. You can't just have your feed be the people you follow. Have to use their shitty algorithm.

It's really amazing that people in tech don't understand what made Twitter popular. Twitter is a group text. Pretty simple stuff. Don't need algorithms flooding your feed or a bunch of features like 2 hour videos and 2500 word counts.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:27 PM   #624
Ksyrup

The whole sign-up thing is weird. You can't even create an account through Threads, you have to get Instagram just to create an account for Threads. WTF? I'll just sit on the sidelines for this until it becomes the go-to or Twitter completely implodes. If it doesn't adopt the chrono timeline it won't last anyway.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:40 PM   #625
Ksyrup

I'm surprised Elon hasn't blocked links to Threads yet. But maybe they don't have the infrastructure to do that anymore.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #626
RainMaker
General Manager

I say sign up so you can get in on the inevitable class action lawsuit in 5 years.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #627
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Threads has no chronological and no way to only show folks you're following. Pass.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:58 AM   #628
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Most creatives are going to Bluesky right now, if I were to jump, it would be there.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 01:21 PM   #629
GrantDawg

We will see in Threads. It looks like the "follows only" and chronological timeline is coming, but they rushed it out to take advantage of Twitters limits idiocy. They have already had 30 million sign-ups. The advantage of people just using their per-existing Insta log in is showing. Bluesky needs to hurry up and start allowing people to sign up without invites. The complaint I'm seeing about it is that there is no one but influencers there.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #630
Ksyrup

Yeah, I saw a bunch of sports-related people post their Thread ID yesterday which is already a huge improvement over nearly every Twitter clone out there where it's mainly politics. I just don't want an Instagram account but I may have to get one.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #631
MJ4H
Coordinator

Threads is useless to me since it links to your instagram account. No thanks.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #632
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
We will see in Threads. It looks like the "follows only" and chronological timeline is coming, but they rushed it out to take advantage of Twitters limits idiocy. They have already had 30 million sign-ups. The advantage of people just using their per-existing Insta log in is showing. Bluesky needs to hurry up and start allowing people to sign up without invites. The complaint I'm seeing about it is that there is no one but influencers there.

Blue Sky is just a totally different vibe and I don't think they're trying to scale at all, so they're fine with it being a lot smaller. 30 million would for sure break them given it's not monetized and won't be for a while. Once the ads show up to BlueSky it's gonna get bad.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 02:11 PM   #633
cuervo72
Head Coach

They might not be looking to scale themselves, but as John Scalzi put it:

Quote:
My understanding is that Bluesky's ultimate goal is not to become a Twitter killer, but to develop tools that allow for a larger, decentralized, relatively-easy-to-use social media protocol NOT at the whim of a horrible billionaire.

So no real "owner" as much as I guess a common industry standard? I'd be cool with that idea. Let's have FOFC.social!
Old 07-06-2023, 02:14 PM   #634
bronconick
College Starter

...a horrible billionaire owns Bluesky. (jack, the former Twitter owner.) He just wasn't in everyone's face like Elon.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 02:20 PM   #635
GrantDawg

And the plan for Threads is also to be a part of a decentralized protocol as well. Jack is no more an altruistic billionaire than Zuck.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:22 PM   #636
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Blue Sky is just a totally different vibe and I don't think they're trying to scale at all, so they're fine with it being a lot smaller. 30 million would for sure break them given it's not monetized and won't be for a while. Once the ads show up to BlueSky it's gonna get bad.
But if people can't get log in's, it is not exactly useful either.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:16 PM   #637
RainMaker
General Manager

So Musk is threatening to sue Meta for hiring the people he fired 8 months ago.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:34 PM   #638
GrantDawg

And the Threads rep responded there wasn't a single former Twitter employee on the Threads team.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:34 PM   #639
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's just another excuse he's lining up for the inevitable bankruptcy. Meta claims they have no engineers on the project and even if they did, it'd be legal. And remember that Elon trashed these employees after they were fired and essentially called them worthless. Kind of tough to turn around now and say they are incredibly valuable.

Anyway, you don't own people for life because they once worked for your company.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:44 AM   #640
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Threads is useless to me since it links to your instagram account. No thanks.

This.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:46 AM   #641
Ksyrup

Is that the Independent George Theory?
Old 07-07-2023, 08:05 AM   #642
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The energy on Threads is much different than other post-Twitter attempts. I don't know if it will become the default replacement, but the first 48 hours looks strong, and Meta has infinite money to throw into it to keep building it before it has to start making any money.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:24 AM   #643
Ksyrup

I haven't seen it so I don't know. I think it is highly dependent on how you tolerate the algorithm stuff. This is how someone else described the vibes:

Quote:
The vibes on Threads are bad. Have you ever been high/drunk and you walk into a CVS and the security guard is staring at you? That’s what Threads is. It’s deodorants locked behind plastic. It’s TikTok Hype Houses. It is Joe Biden’s reelection campaign. It’s a sneaker collab between Nike and JP Morgan. It’s your favorite stand-up comic showing up in a commercial for Carvana.

It’s better than Twitter, of course, which has Berlin 1937-vibes. But it is not a Good alternative. It is a less-bad alternative, and unlike Bluesky (which feels comparatively free-flowing and authentic), it is open to everyone right now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-07-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:10 PM   #644
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I haven't seen it so I don't know. I think it is highly dependent on how you tolerate the algorithm stuff. This is how someone else described the vibes:
Welp. he has at least one blatant lie in there. Bluesky is still "invite only." Everything else he says doesn't at all check out with my experience.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #645
Ksyrup

That's what he said - unlike Bluesky, Threads is up to everyone. I think he was giving it props for being a "less bad" version of Twitter that everyone can join. Basically, if Bluesky was open to everyone, I think his opinion is that it is the best. But, as others here have said, if you can't join, who cares how good it is?
Old 07-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #646
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's what he said - unlike Bluesky, Threads is up to everyone. I think he was giving it props for being a "less bad" version of Twitter that everyone can join. Basically, if Bluesky was open to everyone, I think his opinion is that it is the best. But, as others here have said, if you can't join, who cares how good it is?
Yeah, I miss read it. Juggling a couple of things right now.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:58 PM   #647
Ksyrup

Found this interesting. What I didn't like about Post (at least as long as I hung around there) was that it was so politics and anti-Elon driven. There was no music, no sports, no entertainment, comedy, etc. Or, they were just an afterthought and individual people pissing into the wind. Threads seems to be taking the other path - they don't want news and politics, they want to be a place for all of the other communities. That is basically the same issue I have with Post, but just flipped.

Also, I don't know what kind of communities exist on a picture site, but I don't need that in my life. I still don't understand the purpose or interest in Instagram.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-07-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:30 PM   #648
Ksyrup

Unfortunate trend.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:51 PM   #649
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just a moment...

"Tesla was the only non-Chinese firm to sign on to the letter, according to the Financial Times."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:22 PM   #650
Atocep
Coordinator

It's nice to see Elon handling things like an adult

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote