Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2023, 05:14 PM   #701
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Also apparently he wants everyone to refer to a RT as a RX. Seriously. Dude needs an Rx for Xanax.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:35 PM   #702
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Blaze your glory? Is Elon Musk the biggest dork in the entire world??

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:27 PM   #703
Ksyrup

You know the funniest/most Musk part of the switch to X? How half-assed it is. It's been well over a week, right? Well, when you go the Embed Tweet page, it's still called Twitter on that page. And when you do something with an ad, it's still Twitter. You'd think if he wanted to make X the go-to brand name, he'd change it all.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-05-2023, 11:14 AM   #704
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That would be a lot of work. Rich failsons used to profiting off the work of other people don't really know how to do a lot of work. And don't believe his performative theater of working for 24 hours at a time, he's just tweeting, yelling and people, and faffing about.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:10 PM   #705
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So apparently X engineers don't have to just humor him while he walks around giving them bad advice about how to do their jobs. They have to humor him while he walks around lifting free weights and giving them bad advice about how to do their jobs.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:11 PM   #706
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

This fight will never happen. Elon will find a way to back out while saving face. But if it did happen, Zuck would obliterate him.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #707
Ksyrup

I thought he said he might need surgery before he can fight? That was a headline I saw, didn't read the article.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:00 PM   #708
Edward64
Head Coach

As Zuck said, time to move on. Too bad, would have been entertaining ...

Quote:
Zuckerberg said that while he was ready to fight, Musk kept coming up with reasons he couldn't.

"I offered a real date. Dana White offered to make this a legit competition for charity," Zuckerberg wrote, referring to the president of the Las Vegas-based company Ultimate Fighting Championship, who The New York Times has reported was trying to organize the fight.

"Elon won’t confirm a date, then says he needs surgery, and now asks to do a practice round in my backyard instead," Zuckerberg continued. Musk previously claimed he may need surgery before he fights his rival.

"If Elon ever gets serious about a real date and official event, he knows how to reach me. Otherwise, time to move on. I’m going to focus on competing with people who take the sport seriously," Zuckerberg concluded.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:43 PM   #709
Ksyrup

From fighting, or running social media sites?
Old 08-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #710
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Not really Musk related, but it looks like Ashton is back doing crazy stunts on Twitter. This is going to go well:
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #711
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Elon was throttling traffic to websites he doesn't like.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...3YFXSY7Kj8gvNQ

Only certain sites were affected. They all happened to be competitors or sites he's been critical of or that have been critical of him in the past.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #712
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm still on Twitter because a lot of the hobbies that I like (music, wrestling, video games) are still there. But I do notice the blue checkmarks going first really does give it that right wing cesspool feeling that was mentioned. I don't need, or want to see these comments first.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #713
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'm still on Twitter because a lot of the hobbies that I like (music, wrestling, video games) are still there. But I do notice the blue checkmarks going first really does give it that right wing cesspool feeling that was mentioned. I don't need, or want to see these comments first.

and I still mostly see the same left wing lunatics that I always saw

Which raises an interesting possibility for us both to consider: is there a skew toward opposites, in order to provoke engagement?
Old 08-16-2023, 12:49 PM   #714
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Which raises an interesting possibility for us both to consider: is there a skew toward opposites, in order to provoke engagement?
I believe that is absolutely the case. The same way the algorithm for Facebook does that. They want as much as engagement as possible, and anger drives people to more engagement.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:55 PM   #715
Ksyrup

Even using the Following tab, you guys are getting stuff you aren't following? Probably a vast minority opinion here, but other than when things get broken, I haven't really noticed much difference in my Twitter experience. Maybe some people have left or are only sporadically tweeting anymore, but my timeline is still generally filled with sports, music and political stuff that I follow. I'm not just having Ben Shapiro tweets shoved in my face unless someone I follow is retweeting him.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #716
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Even using the Following tab, you guys are getting stuff you aren't following? Probably a vast minority opinion here, but other than when things get broken, I haven't really noticed much difference in my Twitter experience. Maybe some people have left or are only sporadically tweeting anymore, but my timeline is still generally filled with sports, music and political stuff that I follow. I'm not just having Ben Shapiro tweets shoved in my face unless someone I follow is retweeting him.

Trending is one place, the occasional lapse of the "following" vs "recommended" setting is another. And then replies to various tweets from people who seem intent on searching out something to rant inanely on.

It's kinda like I refer to it on Facebook: OPI ("Other People's Idiots"). It's the internet so avoiding the terminally stupid is an inexact science at best
Old 08-16-2023, 01:56 PM   #717
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I only use the "Following" tab. I'm mostly talking about replies, because all of the blue checkmarks get shown first now.

If I do the For You tab, there's a lot of weird stuff that I prefer not to look at.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #718
GrantDawg

I also only use the "follow" tab. It is the replies that are the problem, but I don't look at the replies on subjects I know will be full of idiots usually. My follow tab is getting pretty light compared to the way it used to be. Many people are gone or are posting way less.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:15 PM   #719
Ksyrup

Ah. I still follow the general advice to not read replies anywhere on the internet, unless it's a message board like here where actual discussions accidentally break out now and then.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-16-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #720
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I can not for the life of me get tweets to shoe up in chronological order.

I am always seeing stuff from 18 hours ago.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:14 PM   #721
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can not for the life of me get tweets to shoe up in chronological order.

I am always seeing stuff from 18 hours ago.

You must have the SportsDig setting on and set to 18 hours. Normally it defaults to 2 weeks.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #722
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:

Let's not forget that people that are algorithm tunneled on either end, they become void of a sense of what's real or not, ending up stuck in the same outer X-wing of people completely alienated from real society.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:22 PM   #723
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Yes, it's called rage baiting. Lot of the social media algorithms have it baked in. It goes beyond politics though. It's why you'll see people tweet out stuff like "McDonalds makes the best chicken sandwich" just to farm replies.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:25 PM   #724
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Heinekin?? Fuck that shit. Pabst Blue Ribbon!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:36 PM   #725
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Heinekin?? Fuck that shit. Pabst Blue Ribbon!
I was really disappointed when I couldn't find PBR at the grocery store.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:56 AM   #726
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Apparently he is removing the block feature. His goal Really is to wreck the site.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #727
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Apparently he is removing the block feature. His goal Really is to wreck the site.
You hear that? That is the sound of the final straw hitting the camels back.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:29 PM   #728
GrantDawg

dola: and I just a Bluesky code. Just in time.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:58 PM   #729
GrantDawg

And saying that, anyone on Bluesky? Is it always this ridiculously slow?
Old 08-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #730
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
dola: and I just a Bluesky code. Just in time.

That techbro has not exactly inspired confidence himself (propably held back his musings while in charge of Twitter and had at least some mechanisms in place where not everything happened at his whim), so wouldn't count out similarly egomaniacal decisions there.

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-18-2023 at 02:08 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 02:10 PM   #731
GrantDawg

But at least so far Bluesky is not a right wing circle jerk. I'm not crazy about Jack either.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #732
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
But at least so far Bluesky is not a right wing circle jerk. I'm not crazy about Jack either.

Fair enough. Just not certain that'll hold given he has a similar "oh, i'm so centrist and reasonable" shtick and a similarly flavoured idea of speech/discourse which nowadays is such a 'door opener' for right wing figures.
Admittedly have little insight on Bluesky or how it's structured (and currently am adjusting more towards using multiple avenues in place of Twitter rather than a new platform that more or less completely replaces it).

Is Bluesky mostly private figures btw? (Think early facebook) One thing great about Twitter has been the way you could get info from public institutions and it's members in a less rigid setting.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-18-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #733
GrantDawg

I'm not sure because I just got on. I had heard early complaints of too many "influencers" getting early invites, but not seeing it so far. I will admit I haven't seen a corporate entity or a new org yet.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:36 PM   #734
RainMaker
General Manager

The block thing will never happen. It's required by the app stores for both Apple and Google Play.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #735
GrantDawg

"lots of confident posts that the block removal won't happen b/c of app store rules like elon hasn't steamrolled right over those in the past"
Old 08-18-2023, 03:08 PM   #736
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
"lots of confident posts that the block removal won't happen b/c of app store rules like elon hasn't steamrolled right over those in the past"

I don't think he's done anything to get past those. He still pays Apple's inflated fees for Twitter Blue.

It is also something required in many countries so they aren't going to bend on it.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #737
GrantDawg

Again, the EU has been threatening fines ever since he bought Twitter. Nothing has happened yet even though he has been in clear violation of their laws.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #738
RainMaker
General Manager

Well that's the EU. I don't think Apple and Google are going to eat a fine to help Elon.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:15 PM   #739
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

App now defaulting to 'for you' instead of 'following'

!$#& off

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:44 PM   #740
GrantDawg

Been doing that for a couple of days. Sucks.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2023, 08:38 PM   #741
Ksyrup

Every third or fourth post is an ad for me too. Mostly ads for the new KY online sports betting pre-launch.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:11 PM   #742
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, what a degradation over just a few months. I'm ready to move on anytime , as a lot of the people I follow are no longer active.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:02 AM   #743
Ksyrup

I finally got an invite to Bluesky but haven't done anything with it yet.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:05 AM   #744
cuervo72
Head Coach

I tried posting bad Idalia jokes (Vidalia? Iguodala? Iggy Azalea?) yesterday and the thing wouldn't even let me. Half the site wouldn't even load.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:29 AM   #745
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Every third or fourth post is an ad for me too. Mostly ads for the new KY online sports betting pre-launch.

Got multiple ads for companies selling stuff like armored and armed vehicles ("for the modern conflict ... With a 120 mm Mortar you and your crew stay safe")

Almost no ads from companies that are in anyway "big", a lot is just Users paying Musk to promote their grift or even just regular posts where someone felt he needed to pay (in addition to the Blue tick) to let me know Climate change is a hoax.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:00 AM   #746
GrantDawg

I have a Bluesky invite available.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2023, 04:32 PM   #747
bhlloy
Coordinator

Every third or fourth post for me last few days have been a Tesla or SpaceX fanboy - I’ve been muting and marking them as “Not interested in this topic” but they are sneaky with it - like suddenly “General Automotive” was just bros orgasming over the new Cybertruck - funny how that works.

I’m not a car head so no skin off my back, but I imagine if you were on Twitter for those kinds of topics it might impact you if you didn’t want the 24/7 Musk propaganda feed.

The laughable adverts all over the feed I’m pretty desensitized to at this point. If one is especially egregious I’ll mute them for the fun of it but that’s truly shooting fish in a barrel. Otherwise just scroll on by. At least the stuff I’m interested in to poorly targeted shit ads ratio isn’t quite as bad as Facebook - yet.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #748
RainMaker
General Manager

One of the new owners of Twitter is executing someone for retweeting mean comments about him.

Last edited by RainMaker : 08-30-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:30 PM   #749
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Elon is straight up blaming Jewish control of the media for destroying X.

And the CEO has to tweet out “How about those local sports teams!” like everything is normal.

https://x.com/lindayax/status/169916...Znv52YZTh9J2dg
Old 09-05-2023, 06:48 PM   #750
RainMaker
General Manager

She's the best.