May 20, 2010: Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

Free Speech FTW:

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day! | Slog | The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

Awesome.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

That's awesome. I noticed the Revolution Muslim site was hacked yesterday. Now it seems to be just down.

Revolution Islam, Website Of Group That Threatened Comedy Central, Is Hacked
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's awesome. I noticed the Revolution Muslim site was hacked yesterday. Now it seems to be just down.

Revolution Islam, Website Of Group That Threatened Comedy Central, Is Hacked

HAHA!!! Must suck when your speech is censored...

Edit: Looks like it's back up with the same hacked page.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 04-24-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Teh interwebs are not to be trifled with

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

They caved in and censored the images. That's the part about this that really sucks.

Religious fanatics are bad enough but Islamic religious fanatics are the worst of the worst. We could really make the world a better place if we adopted their own practice against them and wiped them off the face of the earth...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Somehow this will turn into a hate crime. I can already see it coming.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
"Everybody Draw Muhammad Day?"

As South Park's Sheila Broflovski would say: "What, What, WHAT?"

The outcry from Comedy Central's decision to censor an episode of South Park with depictions of Muhammad last week led a cartoonist and a Facebook user to fight back. That is until they realized it might be controversial, apparently.

In declaring May 20th to be "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day," Seattle artist Molly Norris created a poster-like cartoon showing many objects -- from a cup of coffee to a box of pasta to a tomato -- all claiming to be the likeness of Muhammad.

Such depictions are radioactive as many Muslims believe that Islamic teachings forbid showing images of Muhammad.

"I am Mohammed and I taste good," says the pasta box in the cartoon. On top of the cartoon images (but no longer on her website) was an announcement explaining the rationale behind the event.

"In light of the recent veiled (ha!) threats aimed at the creators of the....

...television show South Park (for depicting Mohammed in a bear suit) by bloggers on Revolution Muslim's website, we hereby deemed May 20, 2010 as the first annual "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day," the original artwork reads.

On Friday, Norris told a radio talk show host in Seattle that she came up with the idea because "as a cartoonist, I just felt so much passion about what had happened..." noting that "it's a cartoonist's job to be non-PC."

That passion, it appears, has lessened. And fast.

Her stark website today reads: ""I am NOT involved in "Everybody Draw Mohammd [sic] Day!"

"I made a cartoon that went viral and I am not going with it. Many other folks have used my cartoon to start sites, etc. Please go to them as I am a private person who draws stuff," she writes.

It went viral, however, because she was the one who passed it around. Sending it to people like Dan Savage, a popular Seattle-based blogger and nationally syndicated sex advice columnist.

Once it became a national story she reeled back, asking Savage -- in an email he provided to The Ticket -- if he would "be kind enough to switch out my poster" with another one -- a much tamer version which has no images attributed to Muhammad.

"I am sort of freaked out about my name/image being all over the place," her e-mail reads.

He didn't change it, nor did he post the tamer version. Besides, after Savage posted it, many other sites picked it up including The Atlantic and Reason.
When asked about her change of heart, Norris told The Ticket that she didn't intend for the cartoon "to go viral."

Then why did she send the cartoon to the media in the first place? "Because I'm an idiot," Norris replied.

"This particular cartoon of a 'poster' seems to have struck a gigantic nerve, something I was totally unprepared for," she said.

She doesn't appear to be alone. The creator of a Facebook page dedicated to the day has bowed out as well. Jon Wellington told the Washington Post (before abandoning ship) that he created the page because he "loved [Norris's] creative approach to the whole thing -- whimsical and nonjudgmental."

While he was still associated with his own event he said: "To me, this is all about freedom of expression and tolerance of other viewpoints, so I hope you'll help make this a sandbox that anyone can play in, if they want. I don't think it'd be right under the circumstances for me (or anyone) to censor inflammatory posts *ahem*, but let's be welcoming and inclusive, mmkay?"

Apparently the posts weren't "welcoming" enough, as on Sunday morning he announced his departure from the cause. "I am aghast that so many people are posting deeply offensive pictures of the Prophet," he writes. "Y'all go ahead if that's your bag, but count me out."

Did he think people were going to post flattering images?

That's what Facebook user Douglas Armstrong wondered too. "You created an event inviting people to submit pictures of Mohammed," Armstrong wrote. "And apparently you're so new to the Internet that you didn't foresee what would happen?"

Although Wellington had abandoned his cause, he apparently was sticking around to answer questions. To Armstrong's question, Wellington responded: "I guess I had more faith in human nature than was warranted."

Another user, Paul St. George, had little patience for Wellington. "If you're not going to attend your own event then take it down dumbass and quit boring us."

Creators of 'Everybody Draw Muhammad Day' drop gag after everybody gets angry | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

While it sucks that they quit, I understand that they may still be the only targets, even after everyone else draws Muhammad.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Nevermind...after reading the article, both of them are huge pussies. Especially that Chamberlain guy.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

For better or worse, I didn't see this as any different than "lets make fun of the Jews/Christians/Wiccans/French day!"
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
For better or worse, I didn't see this as any different than "lets make fun of the Jews/Christians/Wiccans/French day!"

Wow, a day passed like this and I didn't participate? I am bummed I missed it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

We need more of those days as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
Coder
College Prospect

I just wish people would respond proportionally instead of going all 9/11 on you.. why not just counter with drawing cartoons of Jesus instead of putting bounties on cartoonists heads.

The world would be a much funnier place for sure..

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I just wish people would respond proportionally instead of going all 9/11 on you.. why not just counter with drawing cartoons of Jesus instead of putting bounties on cartoonists heads.

Well, let's face it, if the people inclined to put bounties on the cartoonist's head were the sort to actually just draw pictures of Jesus, 9/11 probably wouldn't have happened in the first place.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Nevermind...after reading the article, both of them are huge pussies. Especially that Chamberlain guy.

I believe it is peace for our time, on Facebook...
Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #17
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, let's face it, if the people inclined to put bounties on the cartoonist's head were the sort to actually just draw pictures of Jesus, 9/11 probably wouldn't have happened in the first place.

That's basically what I'm saying.. but just imagine what a great place the world would be if people didn't just take stuff so damn seriously.

Oh, someone called my God a pig.. HE NEEDS TO DIE! Instead of "Well, your god is a pig too!!"..

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

So what do you do for atheists?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Instead of 'Your Momma' jokes we need 'Your Deity' jokes...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
So what do you do for atheists?

You joke about Richard Dawkins

Seriously though.. the problem is fanatics, in all corners.. I have just as much trouble with hard core atheists (or practicing atheists as I like to call them) as I have with fundamentalist Christians or Muslims.

Treat each other with respect, don't unnecessarily humiliate others just because you can, but whatever you do, don't take another imbeciles' attempts at riling you up as an act of war. Kick back, laugh if something's funny.. Hell, I laugh at stupid things I do all the time..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Treat each other with respect

So in other words, you want large portions of the world to fake it?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So in other words, you want large portions of the world to fake it?

I'm not sure I see your reasoning. By respect, I mean accepting someone else's views without necessarily sharing them. I don't see how that's faking it.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By respect, I mean accepting someone else's views without necessarily sharing them. I don't see how that's faking it.

I was thinking of "respect" more in terms of to hold in esteem or honor or even to show regard or consideration for, than simply acknowledging that someone holds view X.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Civility might be a better term.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Rizon
Pro Starter

We should have a Draw the Pussies Who Were Too Pussy To Draw Mohammed Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Coder
College Prospect

You're right, I think something got a bit lost in translation there. The word respect in Swedish is a little wider in it's definition. I agree civility would be what I was aiming for.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're right, I think something got a bit lost in translation there. The word respect in Swedish is a little wider in it's definition. I agree civility would be what I was aiming for.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

To be honest I think I'm usually pretty good about considering what can happen in translation but this time around I don't think I even considered that possibility before commenting.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
That's basically what I'm saying.. but just imagine what a great place the world would be if people didn't just take stuff so damn seriously.

Oh, someone called my God a pig.. HE NEEDS TO DIE! Instead of "Well, your god is a pig too!!"..

The other problem is, those peoples religious 'peers' don't do jack to ridicule them or tell them what they are doing and saying is wrong. If you claim your religion to be the religion of peace and you have a group within that religion that are hell bent on death and destruction, I just think it would make sense if the others in that religion spoke up against that group.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

I have no idea what Mohammed looks like - could someone post a few unflattering pictures?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think South park should do a 'Romeo and Juliet' satire starring Mohammed and Jesus, who are secretly in love and their respective religions are trying keep them apart.

Would be a great episode with room to offend everyone and throw in a few Brokeback Mountain jokes as well.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #31
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

For one thing, Muslims are against the depiction of any of their prophet, which includes Jesus.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I have no idea what Mohammed looks like - could someone post a few unflattering pictures?

He probably looked pretty close to what Jesus looked like. The real Jesus that is, not the Aryan Jesus we all grew up with.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think South park should do a 'Romeo and Juliet' satire starring Mohammed and Jesus, who are secretly in love and their respective religions are trying keep them apart.

Would be a great episode with room to offend everyone and throw in a few Brokeback Mountain jokes as well.

I like this idea a lot

SI

Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So did anyone draw Mohammed yet?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #35
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What? I thought May 20, 2010 was "Turn in your cable box to RCN" day.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #36
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #37
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Not mine, but I like this one...

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #38
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I didn't lol, but I was close.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #39
JediKooter
Coordinator

Funny how you can't draw him, but, it's ok to be named after him. I would think it would be an 'all or nothing' kind of thing, kind of like Voldemort. But, that's just me.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #40
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You can't compare Mohammed to Voldemort. That's a bombing and/or stabbing.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #41
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good thing my last name isn't Van Gogh!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #42
Bad-example
College Starter

Out of respect, my friends and I decided not to draw Mohammed today.

Spoiler
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #43
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Out of respect, my friends and I decided not to draw Mohammed today.

Spoiler

You'll have to pry him away from his 9 year old wife first.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I laughed at the Art Destruction Schools parody

SI