Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Singapore Airlines

Just came back from overseas. Flew on Singapore, Korean, Delta.

Have flown most major domestic US carriers and Lufthansa.

I my opinion, Singapore Airlines service is above the rest. And it comes down to the SA stewardesses. Anyone else agree?

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Are they hot? Is that the reason?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

They are attractive but that really isn't the only reason.

Very attentive, always with a smile (try that with Delta), speaks perfect English (eg. with Korean had to struggle to understand their "sing-song" voice) and, from reading in a Singapore newspaper, they are supposed to engage in conversations with the passengers.

Now granted, I flew business class and there are no 'domestic' flights in Singapore to compare to since everything is overseas ... but they definitely have the right model.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Klinglerware
College Starter

Singapore and Thai have very good reputations for service. Unfortunately I have not flown with either, so I can't really say for sure.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

this is also what i've heard. Unfortunately, the only flight(s) that we can fly singair on is singapore-LA and possibly singapore-india or melbourne, au
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Edward64
Head Coach

Quick google for Cringer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16762907/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Girl

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Indus...3740777&page=1
Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just came back from overseas. Flew on Singapore, Korean, Delta.

Have flown most major domestic US carriers and Lufthansa.

I my opinion, Singapore Airlines service is above the rest. And it comes down to the SA stewardesses. Anyone else agree?

Singapore has "private suites" on the 380's they are getting. Of course, you pay a premium on SIA in comparison to other airlines. Emirates and Cathay Pacific is on the same level as Singapore.

With merger talks getting serious here in the US, it'll be interesting.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
they are supposed to engage in conversations with the passengers.

What were they doing, trying to get you to buy them a drink?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I've never flown Singapore Air, but I've heard Thai Air is extremely good. My best experiences have all been with KLM...I won't go across the Atlantic with anyone but them.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

KLM is gonna rock ya
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I loved Lufthansa's First Class, especially upstairs on the 747s. I miss flying back and forth once a month.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Singapore airlines is absolutely fantastic, but nothing beats Emirates. When I lived in Ethiopia, I almost always had to fly one leg via Ethiopian (to Dubai), and the second leg to India via Emirates. Suffice it to say that going to India was always a better experience than coming back. Emirates is stunning.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
Edward64
Head Coach

Crapshoot. I don't do business in that area so probably won't be flying Emirates anytime soon.

It seems you have the experience with both. Care to give me a quick comparison on why Emirates is better?

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-25-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I've never flown Singapore Air, but I've heard Thai Air is extremely good. My best experiences have all been with KLM...I won't go across the Atlantic with anyone but them.

Might have an opp to fly KLM to Europe this year ...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

BTW, no sex please on Singapore:

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-airbus1nov01

Edward, what do you do that allows you travel so much (and far) and in style!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I loved Lufthansa's First Class, especially upstairs on the 747s. I miss flying back and forth once a month.

I would love to have that lifestyle you had for few years you detailed in "face the board" post.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I would love to have that lifestyle you had for few years you detailed in "face the board" post.

I'd like to have it back myself.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd like to have it back myself.

It stinks the company folded (correct?).
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
It stinks the company folded (correct?).

Yep, for all intents and purposes. The Italian investor has (last time I talked to someone over there) a skeleton crew supporting a couple of the big clients that were still using the software.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

But to get back on topic, I did get to fly Singapore Air one time, from Frankfurt to JFK. However, I think it was a positioning flight and not a normally scheduled flight, because the crew was from several other Star Alliance airlines. The flight was only about 10% full. The food I had was the normal Lufthansa menu. So I can't really say that I've been on a true Singapore Air flight.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #21
finketr
College Prospect

I <3 Star Alliance.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tell you what, after my first class flight to Hawaii & back a few months back, it's going to be very, very hard to fly cattle class anymore. First Class is Teh Awesome.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Tell you what, after my first class flight to Hawaii & back a few months back, it's going to be very, very hard to fly cattle class anymore. First Class is Teh Awesome.

yeah.. business class or higher is pretty nice...

United econ plus isn't that bad depnding on length of flight, but fiddler player class is difficult.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
What were they doing, trying to get you to buy them a drink?

Drinks are free. They have their own Kris Sling.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
BTW, no sex please on Singapore:

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-airbus1nov01

Edward, what do you do that allows you travel so much (and far) and in style!
Consulting with Big-4. At a certain level, if the flights exceed x hrs I can fly Business.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #26
Schmidty
Coordinator

I can't even imagine flying overseas. I'm afraid of the flying, and I'm terrified of the ocean, so as nice as the ailines might be, it would still be a nightmare.

It's a bummer, because there are so many places I'd love to go, but I'm not sure I'll ever get past my phobias.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #27
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Consulting with Big-4. At a certain level, if the flights exceed x hrs I can fly Business.

+1

ours is 10+ hours in a single flight or 14+ hours of actually flight time.

yes i ahve used this to my benefit and took a 10:05 DFW-GRU flight instead of the 3h ord-mia + 5h mia-gru flights.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #28
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This makes me want to start my own airline. How does "Happy Ending" airlines sound? You always get serviced with a smile!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
This makes me want to start my own airline. How does "Happy Ending" airlines sound? You always get serviced with a smile!

Didn't "Hooters Air" already try this?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #30
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Pretty much every non-domestic airline I've ever flown is head and shoulders above their US counterparts. I flew Qantas once which is a partner with American which I have Executive Platinum status on. They treated me much better than American EVER did. I bet the Qantas members who fly the "partner" airline AA get a huge shock when they do the opposite crossover that I did.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #31
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Pretty much every non-domestic airline I've ever flown is head and shoulders above their US counterparts.
You have obviously never flown Аэрофлот (Aeroflot).

They are actually pretty hit-or-miss. Most of their international flights are like everyone else but when they are bad... they are BAD.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #32
Galaxy
Coordinator

What's the different between first class and business class on international flights?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #33
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
What's the different between first class and business class on international flights?

when i flew dfw-gru and ord-nrt-sin in business class, the seats were not lie-flat like in first class. Also, in first class on the ord-nrt-sin flights you could isolate yourself from the external plane.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #34
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:

If the plane crashes nose first then those in business class live a few milliseconds longer.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Generally the seats are a lot more comfortable, more privacy, better flight attendant to passenger ratio, and the food is better, but not as much difference between business and first as there is between coach and business. Like on Lufthansa, you would get caviar as an appetizer in 1st, but not in business class.

Also, depending on the airline and destination airport, if you are in first class you get some extra perks like a special passport line or a special destination lounge with real showers, complimentary clothes pressing and a sit-down meal.

Last edited by cartman : 02-26-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
If the plane crashes nose first then those in business class live a few milliseconds longer.

That's traveling in style.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #37
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Generally the seats are a lot more comfortable, more privacy, better flight attendant to passenger ratio, and the food is better, but not as much difference between business and first as there is between coach and business. Like on Lufthansa, you would get caviar as an appetizer in 1st, but not in business class.

Also, depending on the airline and destination airport, if you are in first class you get some extra perks like a special passport line or a special destination lounge with real showers, complimentary clothes pressing and a sit-down meal.

if you're in first or business class you get a special check-in line up front which is always awesome in big airports.

also, with united airlines, as i understand it, you can use the red-carpet lounges when you have an international ticket regardless of what seating you have. this is awesome when you have 6 hours to wait around in o'hare.

When i returned from sao paulo (gru) to dfw (business class), my colleague and I got clearance to sit in the admiral's club for the 6 hours we were there waiting for the RJ flight home.

with my current FF status on united, i get access to the united business check-in lines regardless of my tickets or the appropriate star alliance airline that i'm flying on.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #38
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

if you're in first or business class you get a special check-in line up front which is always awesome in big airports.

also, with united airlines, as i understand it, you can use the red-carpet lounges when you have an international ticket regardless of what seating you have. this is awesome when you have 6 hours to wait around in o'hare.

When i returned from sao paulo (gru) to dfw (business class), my colleague and I got clearance to sit in the admiral's club for the 6 hours we were there waiting for the RJ flight home.

with my current FF status on united, i get access to the united business check-in lines regardless of my tickets or the appropriate star alliance airline that i'm flying on.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #39
darkenigma510
n00b

I agree 100%. Even in coach, service and comfrt are excellent. Business class is even better and have never met anyone who flew S.A. who disgareed with this point.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #40
darkenigma510
n00b

and yes, stewardeses are young and hot
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #41
ColtCrazy
College Starter

For my money, nothing beats Dutch airline KLM. I have flown them 3 times and even on a short city hopper from Amsterdam to London I was served real ham sandwiches with belgian chocolates. The service is amazing.

I haven't flown Singapore, but my Uncle works is Saudi and has flown them several times and swares by them.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #42
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
For my money, nothing beats Dutch airline KLM. I have flown them 3 times and even on a short city hopper from Amsterdam to London I was served real ham sandwiches with belgian chocolates. The service is amazing.

I haven't flown Singapore, but my Uncle works is Saudi and has flown them several times and swares by them.
Okay, on my next trip to Europe, if SA is not available I will try KLM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #43
Phalid
Banned

By chance have you had one of these landings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6UQLIfQasg
Phalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #44
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalid View Post
By chance have you had one of these landings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6UQLIfQasg
Scary, never experienced that. My worst flights (which really weren't that bad) was 2 consequtive aborted landings on a single flight and when my plane hit a service truck after it landed, headed to the gate.

A friend was on one that depressurized and the oxygen masks dropped. They did an emergency descent and landed quicker than he thought possible.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #45
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay, on my next trip to Europe, if SA is not available I will try KLM.

KLM is owned by Air France now.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #46
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:

Wanted to bump this. I saw Lufthansa got its first Airbus 380 and introduced its new first class (which will be rolled out over the rest of the fleet in time). Talk about a great life. Throw in the luxury of the incredible First Class Terminal/Lounge in Frankfurt (and a the lounge in Munich), it pays to be rich.

Also, on the LH Milage counter for its FF program, why does it show up as :
"5.490 Miles" (is the period the European way for the ","?) for an transatlantic flight when it requires 100,000 miles per year to reach one of its status level.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #47
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Never been on Singapore. I flew KLM on a cityhopper from Amsterdam to London once. Never had better service, or better food for that matter. Very disappointed when I couldn't figure out how to fly them to London this summer with my points.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #48
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Before I went into games I worked quite closely with airlines doing Flight Sims - one of the perks of that was always travelling First or Business class ..... I still miss it today .... especially as I got off a 'cattle class' Atlantic trip yesterday evening and am still decompressing my body today
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote