Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #51
spleen1015
Coordinator

All of this is just a symptom of what is wrong with America. We don't give a crap about each other enough to be courteous to each other.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #52
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
All of this is just a symptom of what is wrong with America. We don't give a crap about each other enough to be courteous to each other.
Half the complaints here are about Minnesotans etc getting over too early and waiting in line for longer instead of passing people. (And where I grew up it used to be the same with New Hampshire drivers until that state got overrun with Massachusetts transplants.) This seems to be more of a case where people have different expectations of what's proper and the confusion leading to problems instead of people trying to be selfish.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #53
sooner333
College Starter

In Oklahoma they have signs leading up to a lane closure to merge and “it’s the law”.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think an argument can be made for merging early when traffic is going at or close to posted speed limits and there's room to do so.

But when you're in a stop-and-go situation, use all of the available lanes for as long as possible. I'm not sure it makes the traffic go any faster that way, but it does - at least a little - reduce the back-up, because there's less wasted road way. Folks trying to merge waaaay ahead of where they need to in stop-and-go - and blocking their lane as they wait to be able to get over - are doing it wrong.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #55
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Is zipping basically the driving form of communism? Great in theory, doesn't seem to work in practice?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #56
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Is zipping basically the driving form of communism? Great in theory, doesn't seem to work in practice?
I see it working frequently around Seattle. It's not 100%, but generally-speaking in stop-and-go traffic people here are good about alternating/zippering.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #57
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I see it working frequently around Seattle. It's not 100%, but generally-speaking in stop-and-go traffic people here are good about alternating/zippering.
Yeah, I feel zipper merging works great at on-ramps/off-ramps & when 2 lanes genuinely merge into one. It's when you get lane closures with plenty of advance warning where it starts to fall apart, both because people feel like others are taking advantage of it and line cutting, and because the law doesn't really seem clear cut (signs in some states say drive as long as possible in the merging lane, but as Lathum points out the law still clearly states that any car in the lane being merged into has the right of way if there is an accident.)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #58
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I think an argument can be made for merging early when traffic is going at or close to posted speed limits and there's room to do so.

But when you're in a stop-and-go situation, use all of the available lanes for as long as possible. I'm not sure it makes the traffic go any faster that way, but it does - at least a little - reduce the back-up, because there's less wasted road way. Folks trying to merge waaaay ahead of where they need to in stop-and-go - and blocking their lane as they wait to be able to get over - are doing it wrong.

+1

Maybe the nuance I'm not understanding is people talking about merging at speed. Just to be clear, I'd never try to justify staying in a lane that's ending at 50mph and trying to cut people off to get over at the last minute - that's clearly a dick move and dangerous as hell.

But in the scenario you describe, I completely agree. In theory the scenario where everyone merges over 100 feet before the end of the lane instead of 10 is nearly as good (although it's extending the tailback another 90 feet, and that can be problematic if there's a junction or set of lights there) but you are never going to get everyone to agree on a common point, except where the lane ends. And in practice you get people who freak out and try to get over right away (these are usually the people who end up blocking the lane while doing it), people who think 100 feet is the right place, people who think 50 is, people who are adamant in staying in the lane all the way up and it's chaos. Just zipper where the lane ends and everything will be fine.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #59
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I will third this.

People in the PNW have zero sense of urgency. 5 years in Seattle and 3 years in Portland, they are both terrible. I'm happy to be back in Jersey.

If it was so urgent maybe you should have left earlier... Just saying.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #60
cuervo72
Head Coach

My route home has a point where three lanes narrow down to two. I am pleasantly surprised how smoothly the merge takes place. Things slow down, but it's rare when someone refuses to let folks merge (there's really no opportunity to progress past if you don't).
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
If it was so urgent maybe you should have left earlier... Just saying.

I shouldn't have to leave earlier because some twat wants to do 55 in a 65 lane.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #62
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wondered if he was saying you should have left for Jersey earlier!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I wondered if he was saying you should have left for Jersey earlier!

Ha!

I wish I could have!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #64
miami_fan
Coordinator

Can this be the thread where we complain about driving?

Re: changing lanes.

When did it become a thing for people to immediately stop mid traffic to allow a car to change lanes? I am not talking about slowing down gradually to allow for a lane change. I am not talking about being at a full stop and allowing someone change lanes in front of you before you begin to move. I mean we are all driving along at 50-55 mph in the center or left lane of a three lane road. Someone To the right give us a rare blessing of turning on their left turn signal to indicate a change of lanes. Within a second and a half, a car in front of you drops from 55 mph to 10 mph to allow the other car to let the other car in completely ignoring the fact that there is a line of cars behind them still driving 50-55 mph.

Or am I the only asshole who does not participate in this level of “kindness”?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #65
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No, you're not. This isn't limited to highway lane changes either.

I'm all for being courteous on regular streets where there's traffic and someone is waiting to turn onto the street, so you leave them space to turn onto your street from a parking lot or a side street and what-not while you wait for a red light or traffic to clear. But I absolutely detest the people who see someone waiting for traffic to clear so they can turn, and that person who is driving in front of me decides it's OK to stop and let them in. It's a green light, doing the speed limit, no indication anyone is stopping or turning, and you are going to be "nice" by testing my reflexes and giving me a heart attack.

Just let the traffic clear and they will get into traffic like normal. You can't go out of your way to be nice, because you might kill someone behind you. MORON.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #66
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funny enough I had this happen to me yesterday, peak traffic on the 101 and a guy slams on his brakes down to about 5mph to let somebody over. I’ll usually slow reasonably to let somebody over (maybe ease off 5-10mph in the flow of traffic) - God knows the 10% of people who use their indicator in LA deserve to get some courtesy, but I’m not hitting my brakes and certainly not slamming them on.

I wonder how much of it is courtesy and how much is just overly terrified drivers who shouldn’t be on the freeway in the first place. Kinda like the idiots who will do 50 in the left lanes for the next 7 miles rather than be next to a truck so they can pass it.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #67
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
No, you're not. This isn't limited to highway lane changes either.

I'm all for being courteous on regular streets where there's traffic and someone is waiting to turn onto the street, so you leave them space to turn onto your street from a parking lot or a side street and what-not while you wait for a red light or traffic to clear. But I absolutely detest the people who see someone waiting for traffic to clear so they can turn, and that person who is driving in front of me decides it's OK to stop and let them in. It's a green light, doing the speed limit, no indication anyone is stopping or turning, and you are going to be "nice" by testing my reflexes and giving me a heart attack.

Just let the traffic clear and they will get into traffic like normal. You can't go out of your way to be nice, because you might kill someone behind you. MORON.

Must be a KY thing, because it drives me up a friggen wall. I can't stand it, and it's dangerous as f.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #68
Mota
College Benchwarmer

In Toronto the crazy drivers will pull into a gas station entrance so they can pass 10 cars, then drive like maniacs until they merge back in, and we have to let them back in.

Or when there's an on ramp to the highway and the lane is empty, so these cars will jump into the lane, pass 3-4 guys and then expect you to let them back in front of you. If you're not actually merging onto the highway, don't go in the lane. It's the equivalent of driving on the shoulder.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
In Toronto the crazy drivers will pull into a gas station entrance so they can pass 10 cars, then drive like maniacs until they merge back in, and we have to let them back in.

Or when there's an on ramp to the highway and the lane is empty, so these cars will jump into the lane, pass 3-4 guys and then expect you to let them back in front of you. If you're not actually merging onto the highway, don't go in the lane. It's the equivalent of driving on the shoulder.

This happens a lot in CA, too. Where possible and if I am positioned right, I will "randomly" drift partway over, blocking passage onward to any in that lane.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #70
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Dunno, I lived in the Seattle area for a long time, and now I'm in the Charleston, SC area and lemme tell ya - it's a tossup. I've never been more consistently bothered by bad drivers than here.

Doesn't help that I spent a good amount of time in Germany in between. Heaven for (good) drivers.

Last edited by Jughead Spock : 09-21-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #71
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Dunno, I lived in the Seattle area for a long time, and now I'm in the Charleston, SC area and lemme tell ya - it's a tossup. I've never been more consistently bothered by,bad drivers than here.

Doesn't help that I spent a good amount of time in Germany in between. Heaven for (good) drivers.

I know people get a bit sensitive when comparisons are between Europe and the U.S.A, but damn driving in Germany is such a pleasure.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It's amazing what actually enforcing lane discipline and not just setting up speed traps because it's the easiest to generate revenue can do to improve driving conditions.

Similar to the left lane on highways being for passing only & basically never being enforced, Massachusetts passed another sensible law - "Wipers on, Lights on" - and after the first week they stopped enforcing it too. It's like speeding and DUI's are the only areas they can maintain traction on, instead of the wide variety of things that make the roads more dangerous & more annoying to drive.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #73
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Do you remember Rich Hall and Sniglets? This person is called an esso-asso.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #74
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bump for driving complaint! Actually not really a complaint, more like an observation.

Has anybody else notice drivers running through red lights? I don't mean trying to beat a yellow light turning to red. I am talking about drivers waiting at a red light and then just taking off before the light changes to green. I have been seeing like 1 or 2 a week for about six months now . However, I have seen at least six this week alone.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #75
bhlloy
Coordinator

I wonder if it's drivers who got used to driving with very few people around with COVID, and just haven't bothered to re-calibrate their driving now the streets are full again. I know I saw it way more than usual the odd occasion I'd leave my house in the early COVID times.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Bump for driving complaint! Actually not really a complaint, more like an observation.

Has anybody else notice drivers running through red lights? I don't mean trying to beat a yellow light turning to red. I am talking about drivers waiting at a red light and then just taking off before the light changes to green. I have been seeing like 1 or 2 a week for about six months now . However, I have seen at least six this week alone.

Oh yeah, that's been a big thing as traffic returned to pre-Covid levels.

Similar to how I saw a sudden surge in street/drag racing during Covid, I think as much as anything it's indicative of a generally lowered will to live.

Also in the past week I nearly got clipped twice in less than a minute, including a really creative 45 degree "turn" someone made across three lanes of moving traffic. He just gave no fucks whatsoever ... all in a hurry to get to a KFC just up the street (no, I'm not kidding, we watched him turn in)