Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

FIFA or PES this year?

Didn't see an impressions thread (boyzzzz!), but was wondering what the FOFC consensus was on these two titles? I have PS3.

Or is it still a case of "neither, get FM!" FM is great, but I was just wondering how each game looked this year and whether or not the graphically portion of the console titles would outweigh a sim product (I know, total long shot).

Thanks for the input!

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

Tough call. I think FIFA is more fun gameplay wise. It's more fluid and the physics are much better. But PES is better as an actual soccer game.

Haven't seen what the Manager mode is like for PES but FIFA's is just OK. Still has some issues with bugs and teams all playing the same style.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'll prolly pickup FIFA when the price comes down from it's release-point...in the past i've picked it up on release day, but i realized it's not worth it anymore because i inevitably end up spending more time with the FM demo when that comes out around the same time and then with FM. but it's nice to have a "first person" type of soccer game as well for when you get the urge to do that
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think FIFA has come a long way. It's actually pretty decent now as far as game play and not the pinball game that it used to be. I haven't tried PES thie year but I think they stagnated a bit recently and the gameplay difference between the games is not what it used to be. I know a few years ago the Winning Eleven series used to beat FIFA hands down when it came to actually looking like a real soccer game but I don't think it's that obvious anymore.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola:

For FIFA, I don't like the be a pro mode as much as other people seem to. Maybe I'm not finding the right camera angle but I just can't get into the mode in this game like I can in NHL 10.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Qrusher14242
High School JV

if its for PC, dont get FIFA. Its just terrible like it has always been for a long time on the pc. The graphics are a joke. I have PES for the pc and it is pretty good. The Graphics are much better, but the gameplay takes a little while getting used. Different than previous years. Passing is different than before. I think its more realistic though. They have some great mods out for it too
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
cmgdodgers
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'll prolly pickup FIFA when the price comes down from it's release-point...in the past i've picked it up on release day, but i realized it's not worth it anymore because i inevitably end up spending more time with the FM demo when that comes out around the same time and then with FM. but it's nice to have a "first person" type of soccer game as well for when you get the urge to do that

Target has it online for $39.99 today.
cmgdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm surprised there's not more discussion on this.

I just got FIFA 10 on Monday because a friend kept pushing me.

He introduced me to this "Ultimate Team" mode. It is RIGHT up my alley.

For a description:

FIFA 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Ultimate Team

On 1 December 2009, EA Sports announced that the Ultimate Team game mode expansion that was introduced in FIFA 09 would be released in February 2010 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. Like the previous version, the mode allows for the creation of a custom team based on the collection of various types of cards. The expansion was released on 25 February 2010.[citation needed], and featured new PlayStation Network Trophies and Xbox Live Achievements for FIFA 10. It costs 400 MS Points/$4.99/€4.99/£3.99.[15]
The mode is an update to the Ultimate Team mode from FIFA 09. Users who owned the original Ultimate Team were given two free Gold packs after creating their team, along with a date below the teams name to show the year the team was founded. Like the original, each team is given a full team of players to begin with, along with a stadium, emblem and a home and away kit. New players, staff and items can be purchased from the 6 different pack types available, split into three categories(Gold, Silver and Bronze), or by trading with other users by bidding on cards they are opting to sell, offering them deals or buying them for a specific price. The in-game currency is coins, which are awarded for playing games, playing in tournaments or trading with other users. Bonus coins are awarded for completing different requirements, such as winning a game, being awarded Man of the Match and for possession and passing accuracy. The card packs for Ultimate Team still have basic Bronze Packs (500 coins), Silver Packs (2500 coins) and Gold Packs (5000 Coins), but now also have a bonus pack in each category, called Premium Packs, costing slightly more coins (Bronze cost 750, Silver cost 3250 and Gold cost 7500) but giving 3 rare cards, instead of the 1 given in basic packs.
Like the old Ultimate Team, to keep your players on your squad you must give them contracts. However, unlike last year, players who run out of contracts are rendered unplayable until a contract is applied to them, rather that being removed from your team altogether. Contracts can be found in packs or bought in the trading section. Unlike the old Ultimate Team, players can now store an unlimited amount of players, stadiums, staff members, kits and emblems, to use whenever they need to. The Trading section has also been improved, allowing improved searching and a watch list, to keep track of certain items.

I'm LOVING it so far. Now, I'm not a soccer guy at ALL so there may be some nuances that are bad that i don't get, but I am enjoying it as just a game as well. And this Ultimate Team is enough to keep me interested with things changing, goals to get, etc. I was telling my friend it's like having an online league without having to stress about deadlines, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Icy
Pro Starter

I play a lot FIFA ultimate team in PS3 and have a pretty good team already, but i got it more playing the market than playing games. It's like the stock market, if you expend time, you can get a pretty good team just by selling/buying players.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, that's how it seems. I'm going to check into the market some. I wish you could do that from the PC like you can with managing your squads. I'd much prefer to play games when at the XBOX and then when I've got breaks at work, etc. I'd be able to manage my roster, play the market, etc. If they did that..... :drool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote