Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #51
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
And you are wrong. *shurg*

Perhaps it's pointless, but would you mind explaining why you came to this conclusion? I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts, that's why I engaged in the discussion.

Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #52
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Not your house. I mean much bigger picture than that.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #53
JediKooter
Coordinator

I've always had black friends. I am not black. I can remember even in Kindergarten and 1st grade, having black friends. My best friend, since I was 13 (I'm now 38), is black. I think a lot has to do with your environment and your parents. My parents never made an issue of someones color or made it a point to relate bad/good with someones color. I also grew up in southern California where race really isn't something that is much of an issue like it is in the south and other parts of the country.

Half of my family is mexican. So, there was never an issue with that either. Heck, I even had asian relatives and friends. Ever since I can remember, the people I shied away from were people who had over bearing personalities or were assholes and those people covered the whole spectrum of skin colors.

So, I don't know. That's my anecdotal experiences with this subject.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #54
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would like these studies expanded if they are going to keep them up. Let's see some Asian, Hispanic, Indian, American Indian, Muslim, and blue people from Avatar dolls or pictures used in these. Survey the same mix of kids.

I agree the personal experiences make the biggest impact of this kind of thing though.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #55
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Not your house. I mean much bigger picture than that.

I understand, but if you're going to completely dismiss my point I was wondering what led you to do so. As I understand it, you imagine that if someone like my kids, who have had very little real life exposure to any black people, and certainly none that would lead them to think black people are "mean", would not show the sort of results that came up in this study. Right?

I think you're probably wrong, based on my experience with my kids and others like them. I think that they would equate "dark" with "bad" even outside of skin color. If you disagree with that, I'd be curious as to why, and what you think they would do instead.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #56
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Autumn, I couldn't possibly care less about one particular set here. We're talking about a specific big-picture scientific study. I didn't realize you were trying to use a sample size of one household.

[fof]Good dice rolls.[/fof]
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #57
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I've always had black friends. I am not black. I can remember even in Kindergarten and 1st grade, having black friends. My best friend, since I was 13 (I'm now 38), is black. I think a lot has to do with your environment and your parents. My parents never made an issue of someones color or made it a point to relate bad/good with someones color. I also grew up in southern California where race really isn't something that is much of an issue like it is in the south and other parts of the country.

Half of my family is mexican. So, there was never an issue with that either. Heck, I even had asian relatives and friends. Ever since I can remember, the people I shied away from were people who had over bearing personalities or were assholes and those people covered the whole spectrum of skin colors.

So, I don't know. That's my anecdotal experiences with this subject.

To me you, like myself actually, help show it is about personal experiences (parental influence being part of that, but one on one interaction much more so at younger ages). At 6-8 years old two of my best friends were Mexican. I obviously had good experiences with them. The asshole kids were always the white kids when I was younger. Maybe subconsciously that's why I moved to a place where it's mostly Mexicans as an adult.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #58
Autumn
Head Coach

I"m just using it as an example. You're claiming that experience and exposure to particular socioeconomic groups is the reason for this result. I'm suggesting that I'd bet it's not a particularly large factor, or rather just one of several large factors. You're sure you're right, and I'm wrong, and I'm wondering why.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #59
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Is it just me, or does Ben seem really mean in this thread?

*ducks*
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #60
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
To me you, like myself actually, help show it is about personal experiences (parental influence being part of that, but one on one interaction much more so at younger ages). At 6-8 years old two of my best friends were Mexican. I obviously had good experiences with them. The asshole kids were always the white kids when I was younger. Maybe subconsciously that's why I moved to a place where it's mostly Mexicans as an adult.

I'm not sure that kids who had good experiences with kids of other races and colors would answer differently on these "tests" though. LIke someone said above, they're not likely to say "I can't tell which one is mean by the color," and so they're going to judge by something, color being the only variable here. Do you think kids like yourself would answer differently on these questions?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I say this as a black person but I don't think black people are prepared to lead just yet. They do a lot of flat out stupid and embarrassing things when they get a little power. (See Detroit)

Good thing the President is half white and was raised by that half, so he wouldn't pick up all of those ugly Negro tendencies he'd have otherwise acquired through the Curse of Cain in the pre-existence.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #62
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

I can totally see that. I think in that way I'm also more attracted to mexican and black women than I am white women. Don't get me wrong, I like all women, but, those are the two that are on the top of my 'list'.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #63
molson
General Manager

I have the same reaction to this study that I did when I first read about it years ago in college - what's the "correct" answer? And is the kid allowed to answer "how the hell am I supposed to know what doll is smarter?" (and how many kids are creative enough to answer a x or y question with z).

Do we want the child to think that the doll that looks like them is better or worse? Or do we want it to be 50/50 over a group of students? Or do we just want blacks and whites and latinos all to have predictable, identical preferences or opinions regarding dolls?

I think these studies definitely spark discussion, but I have no idea what they actuall tell us.

Edit: And what about the fact that there's just way more white dolls than black dolls in the U.S.? Black cabbage patch dolls, for example, were way rare back in the day. Kids aren't generally looking to be different. Does a kid want the doll everyone else has, or do they want the one that stands out and is different?

Last edited by molson : 05-19-2010 at 03:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #64
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm not sure that kids who had good experiences with kids of other races and colors would answer differently on these "tests" though. LIke someone said above, they're not likely to say "I can't tell which one is mean by the color," and so they're going to judge by something, color being the only variable here. Do you think kids like yourself would answer differently on these questions?

Which one looks like you? That's the stupid mean one. Nothing but a joke, don't take that personal.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #65
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I say this as a black person but I don't think black people are prepared to lead just yet. They do a lot of flat out stupid and embarrassing things when they get a little power. (See Detroit)

I don't know, Dave Bing seems to be doing a good job with the ridiculous mess he inherited.

Then there's Cory Booker.

The CEO of American Express hasn't exactly done a bad job either.

Yay generalizations!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I don't know, Dave Bing seems to be doing a good job with the ridiculous mess he inherited. Then there's Cory Booker.
The CEO of American Express hasn't exactly done a bad job either. Yay generalizations!

Then there's the city of Atlanta, DC, most of the African continent ... etc.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #67
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Good thing the President is half white and was raised by that half, so he wouldn't pick up all of those ugly Negro tendencies he'd have otherwise acquired through the Curse of Cain in the pre-existence.

I honestly can not say anything about Obama without coming off as one of those tinfold guys. Obama didn't really grow up like most black people.

Quote:
I don't know, Dave Bing seems to be doing a good job with the ridiculous mess he inherited.

Yay generalizations!

There are always exceptions.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #68
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yay generalizations!

Well, to be fair about it, Bing is picking up after Kwame Kilpatrick and, indirectly, pretty much every other Detroit mayor since the 1970s except Dennis Archer. Booker is doing a splendid job in Newark, but the hole that was dug there by his predecessors was impressive. Of course, there are others across the country who do their jobs well, quietly, and anonymously (i.e. the AmEx CEO). It just seems like the more high-profile situations have not had good results, especially when politics is involved.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #69
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
lol, funny I hadn't noticed you around my house, but I guess I should look harder.
Just turn the lights on.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #70
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Just turn the lights on.

I rarely find your routine funny but this was spot on.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #71
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I generally play to the white crowd.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #72
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
I generally play to the white crowd.

2 for 2.

Whatever you're doing you need to continue doing it.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #73
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Just turn the lights on.

After how much I spent on these night vision goggles? Not likely.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #74
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
After how much I spent on these night vision goggles? Not likely.

Poor attempt at humor, but keep trying!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #75
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Poor attempt at humor, but keep trying!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really glad there's guys like you around, making sure message boards stay funny!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #76
kenparker23
n00b

Here is my quick thread summary

A couple of weeks ago, my 9 year old asked me "dad, why are all the dark kids so fast"

Gave me a good chuckle.
kenparker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #77
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker23 View Post
Here is my quick thread summary

A couple of weeks ago, my 9 year old asked me "dad, why are all the dark kids so fast"

Gave me a good chuckle.
YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GET MAD AND CALL A TV STATION SAYING "MY KID IS A RACIST!"

DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #78
Desnudo
Coordinator

Malcolm Gladwell covered implicit association in his book "Blink"

This doesn't seem to be anything new, except maybe the age. You can take the test yourself here:

Project Implicit
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #79
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Then there's the city of Atlanta, DC, most of the African continent ... etc.

Are you always like this?
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #80
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #81
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Malcolm Gladwell covered implicit association in his book "Blink"

This doesn't seem to be anything new, except maybe the age. You can take the test yourself here:

Project Implicit

Grrr....did all that crap, then it finished and crashed.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote