Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #101
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

GO GET IT!!!

Thanks everyone for your interest - Brooks did a great job here and we look forward to seeing you around to discuss the game
Old 11-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #102
FBPro
College Starter

Installed!!!!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #103
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Also if you like real world stuff there's already a RW mod available

• View topic - SlyBelle's College Football 2017 Real World Mod - Available

And if you're looking for screens and/or the files to download (can be run as a demo)

Draft Day Sports: College Football Simulation Game (2017)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #104
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
Nice looking screens. I will be checking it out at some point, though admittedly with the next FOF coming out right now as well I think that one takes the priority for me at the moment. I will be following, though.

The thing I noticed from the screenshots was on the recruiting screen the players ratings were typed as '5 star', '4 star', etc, and it just looks a bit off.

If only there was an easy and immediate visual way to represent the star ratings...

Last edited by AlexB : 11-20-2016 at 03:38 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #105
BYU 14
Coordinator

Installed, going to look it over and then get my workout in before I really start playing, otherwise my workout will be skipped
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #106
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Playing it. Really like the feel compared to Pro Football, the Wolverine feel is more homey.

Definitely will be using the Real World Mod.. probably too much to ask for to allow custom conference/playoff settings, but this is something new, and I like it.. the 2D seems crisper, I think I would love some kind of visual notation on the 2d engine when a catch is made, (or an interception), or a tackle is slipped, I kinda have to guess what happened until I see the result on the screen.

But so far, definitely so good.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #107
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Playing it. Really like the feel compared to Pro Football, the Wolverine feel is more homey.

Yeah the "hybrid" design was not a huge hit in PF so we built the UI totally from the ground up to match the basketball games

Quote:
I think I would love some kind of visual notation on the 2d engine when a catch is made, (or an interception), or a tackle is slipped, I kinda have to guess what happened until I see the result on the screen.

But so far, definitely so good.

There should be on the scoreboard an image that comes up saying INTERCEPTION or FUMBLE when something like that happens.

The slipped tackle thing...that's kind of why I mentioned it felt to me like playing XOR NFL Challenge. You just hoped your circle with the ball never stopped moving with all the Xs hanging around him
Old 11-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #108
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it's just hard for me to tell if a catch was made, or knocked away, or dropped or what have you, the 2d mode is great otherwise to show you what's going on.. (you can see the WR getting open while your cornerback is apparently daydreaming of the coed he met at last night's mixer)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #109
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

How long does the Demo let us play?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #110
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

A very generous 2 seasons on the demo
Old 11-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #111
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Yeah, it's just hard for me to tell if a catch was made, or knocked away, or dropped or what have you, the 2d mode is great otherwise to show you what's going on.. (you can see the WR getting open while your cornerback is apparently daydreaming of the coed he met at last night's mixer)

Yeah and as development went along both Brooks and I brainstormed how we could make it better (and it improved tons during development) and that's why we need you guys - we will take all feedback to keep making this better and of course bring it to the pro game. I think the 2D really makes the game - being able to coach the game instead of just watch a replay in PF is a night and day difference.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #112
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps something on the scoreline down below "Caught!" "Knocked Away" "Dropped!" "Sacked" "Flag on the Play!" Just pop it up briefly. Don't need missed tackle, I guess we can tell that the tackle was missed by the game still going
Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #113
digamma
Torchbearer

Tough game on beginners. 0-12 start, outscored 609-226.

Is there a way to manually adjust schedules? Several rivalry games were at the start of the season. (Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina) I also ended up with only 5 home games.

One other initial note. My opening roster had 17 safeties and 6 linebackers. A few other oddities too. I know it gets difficult with 85 man base rosters, but some more balance might be an easy fix going forward.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #114
kernie
n00b

Ok a quick review. I would agree with most posts so far i think the play calling portion was easy to navigate and the 2d outcome was fun to watch if thats your cup of tea.

it feels like a wolverine product and generally the game is easy on the eyes if feels like you are in the basketball game.

I cant say anything about the stats im sure that will be scrutinized significantly especially at these forums.

my interest in this game was the recruiting aspect and in my opinion Bowl Bound was the best in that area previously

Recruiting is a big letdown at least in my opinion. personally i loved how there was a recruiting period in Bowl Bound and although that game was extremely buggy it never felt like work recruiting was fun.

I felt like i was doing my taxes with this game it was very hard to figure out what i had going on the way its setup

again these are first impressions cause thats what this forum is about

pluses

the 2d will draw you in if your calling plays if thats your thing

minus

recruiting feel was terrible IMO
kernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #115
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernie View Post
Ok a quick review. I would agree with most posts so far i think the play calling portion was easy to navigate and the 2d outcome was fun to watch if thats your cup of tea.

it feels like a wolverine product and generally the game is easy on the eyes if feels like you are in the basketball game.

I cant say anything about the stats im sure that will be scrutinized significantly especially at these forums.

my interest in this game was the recruiting aspect and in my opinion Bowl Bound was the best in that area previously

Recruiting is a big letdown at least in my opinion. personally i loved how there was a recruiting period in Bowl Bound and although that game was extremely buggy it never felt like work recruiting was fun.

I felt like i was doing my taxes with this game it was very hard to figure out what i had going on the way its setup

pluses

minus

Well first thank you for the positive remarks.

As for recruiting if its the fact that its an ongoing thing that bothers you I guess there's not much that could be done about that. Personally I like that route (that's how it is in my college basketball game as well) because IMO that's realistic.

If it is something specific about how the recruiting page works or something that's a different story - we're definitely open to all feedback and trying to make the game the best it possibly can be.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #116
PilotMan
Head Coach

Recruiting in tcy could also feel like that, but again, that was one of the best parts there too, because it took work and was rewarding when you did well. I'm excited to give this a go.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #117
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
One other initial note. My opening roster had 17 safeties and 6 linebackers. A few other oddities too. I know it gets difficult with 85 man base rosters, but some more balance might be an easy fix going forward.

I also had a ton (11) or players at strong safety, but only three offensive guards to start. Maybe balance something in the code to have the rosters populate X above minimum, not to exceed X. Also noticed weights are a little off. My opening roster had 4 QBs above 240 pounds, all ranging in height from 6'3 to 6'7, with the biggest coming in at 6'6 and260 . I know you get the occasional Cam Newton, Duante Culpepper frame, but these guys were all build like LB'ers and TE's. Even the two 'short' QBs are 6'0 221 and 5'10 225 respectively. I think they need to lean out a little bit.

Quote:

pluses

minus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Well first thank you for the positive remarks.

As for recruiting if its the fact that its an ongoing thing that bothers you I guess there's not much that could be done about that. Personally I like that route (that's how it is in my college basketball game as well) because IMO that's realistic.

If it is something specific about how the recruiting page works or something that's a different story - we're definitely open to all feedback and trying to make the game the best it possibly can be.

I am actually glad the game instituted recruiting that goes throughout the year as it does in the real world. I think you have to look past the initial chore of setting it up, which is a lot, and focus on the fact that you will be continually trimming the list down as you go through the process, again much like it is in real life. I was a bit overwhelmed setting up the 45 players I wanted to pursue for my 18 schollies, but that really is closer to how it occurs in the real world and again, it should get less 'bloated' as you go.

The one thing I would suggest here that would help with this a ton IMO, is the ability to add another drop down to the players you have targeted, to filter them by position. That way you are not scrolling through 45 players in that list, but instead working the targets in smaller bites, which won't seem like as much work.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #118
kernie
n00b

Could very well be that its an ongoing thing at least for my initial impression.

I personally do not like the recruiting in the College Basketball game either in fact this game feels like that one in the recruiting aspect. The recruiting in the Basketball game keeps me from firing that one up, but again that is probably my personal preference.

having said all that I will buy this game to support what you do even if it isnt in my rotation.

I think your current edition of the Pro game is the best Pro Basketball Sim that has been created.

and in fairness to the developer I was responding to my first impression after i eventially have time to delve deeper into the recruiting aspect I could provide further details on my initial comments
kernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #119
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I also had a ton (11) or players at strong safety, but only three offensive guards to start. Maybe balance something in the code to have the rosters populate X above minimum, not to exceed X. Also noticed weights are a little off. My opening roster had 4 QBs above 240 pounds, all ranging in height from 6'3 to 6'7, with the biggest coming in at 6'6 and260 . I know you get the occasional Cam Newton, Duante Culpepper frame, but these guys were all build like LB'ers and TE's. Even the two 'short' QBs are 6'0 221 and 5'10 225 respectively. I think they need to lean out a little bit.

I am actually glad the game instituted recruiting that goes throughout the year as it does in the real world. I think you have to look past the initial chore of setting it up, which is a lot, and focus on the fact that you will be continually trimming the list down as you go through the process, again much like it is in real life. I was a bit overwhelmed setting up the 45 players I wanted to pursue for my 18 schollies, but that really is closer to how it occurs in the real world and again, it should get less 'bloated' as you go.

I agree with this - FB recruiting is work. There's so many positions and so many scholarships so it is going to take effort (you can always automate it too and let the game do it) but personally I like Brooks' decision to go more realistic and less "mini-game" with it.

Quote:
The one thing I would suggest here that would help with this a ton IMO, is the ability to add another drop down to the players you have targeted, to filter them by position. That way you are not scrolling through 45 players in that list, but instead working the targets in smaller bites, which won't seem like as much work.

That's a good suggestion and I will pass that on to Brooks. For the most bang for your buck on suggestions don't forget to post them on our forums so Brooks sees them for sure. I did the UI for the game but Brooks is the code man and you're more likely to get his attention there than here.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #120
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Could very well be that its an ongoing thing at least for my initial impression.

I personally do not like the recruiting in the College Basketball game either in fact this game feels like that one in the recruiting aspect. The recruiting in the Basketball game keeps me from firing that one up, but again that is probably my personal preference.

Yeah - unfortunately this is one of the areas that's kind of an either/or and we can't do it the way everyone would prefer. Like you said, my year long recruiting isn't your cup of tea in the hoops game either.

Quote:
having said all that I will buy this game to support what you do even if it isnt in my rotation.

I think your current edition of the Pro game is the best Pro Basketball Sim that has been created.

Thank you very much - we appreciate the support and we absolutely listen to feedback. I think if people look back at the critiques of the pro football game they can see we took those to heart and made huge strides in the college game by making the 2D playable and have way more depth to it and Brooks actually had a full UI built already that we totally dumped and started all from scratch to implement the UI from the basketball games because people were not fans of what we did in the pro football game.

And thank you very much for the awesome praise on the pro basketball game - I think that game has come along much like any of the other top sims. You need alot of time and many versions to fine tune things and DDS:PB17 is there. The other games will get there too - especially the FB games which are only beginning at Wolverine Studios.

Thanks for your support and continued feedback!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #121
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

That's a good suggestion and I will pass that on to Brooks. For the most bang for your buck on suggestions don't forget to post them on our forums so Brooks sees them for sure. I did the UI for the game but Brooks is the code man and you're more likely to get his attention there than here.

Already ahead of you buddy, I just pasted and copied this on Wolverine after I posted here
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #122
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I only played the demo but I can't see ever buying this game. It is the most unintuitive text sim I think I ever took a look at. Right from the start, there was not even an email giving me a bit of guidance to get started. I spent a bit of time on starting 2 careers, just to poke around and I hate it. Here is a brief list of problems, and questions I have. I'll give it another go just because I am dying for a great, modern college football sim, but this seems like a mess so far, sorry to say.

Training: I have no idea what is going on here. There is 1 thing I can auto select, but I don’t know what it even does. Do I have to set up a training schedule for each player individually?
Training: 5 guys gained some points, 1 guy lost a point and 4 guys showed a 0. What happened to the other 75 guys on my roster?
Schedule: I am scheduled to play the first 12 weeks, then 4 bye weeks
Redshirting: I have to open a player card to redshirt. That is a hassle.
Minor Nitpick: When clicking a column to sort by, it goes from least to most. This should be the opposite. Now I have to click twice.
Viewing a player card: I have a freshman rated 81 overall, but no idea how much better he can get. How can I see a potential rating for him?
Gameplan: When clicking autoset, I get a bunch of numbers. Clicking it again and again gives me whole new sets of sometimes dramatically different numbers. That doesn’t make sense.
Gameplan: How do I tell what type of offense or defense I am running? Smashmouth, vertical, spread, etc…
Simming: After simming the entire week 1, the screen blinks out to my browser, then back to the game and we are week two. I have to click back to week 1 to view results.
After week 1: I got an email about week 2 training. Am I supposed to be setting up training every week?
Minor nitpick: Screen to screen progression seems very slow.
Recruiting: I looked at it and had no idea what to do. I closed the game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #123
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Some Recruiting thoughts and a second try:
Playing as Uconn, the recommend recruits gives me guys starting ranked around 900 and higher. The only other view is all. That is quite the spread. I guess I could go after CT, or New England guys rated 500+ and have a reasonable chance?

There should be a view of contacted targets. Using that little scrolling list on the side is useless. I don’t even want to use it for the 5 recruiting I am practicing with, nevermind filling up a list of 40 players.

Other note: Depth chart doesn’t seem to work at all. If I click AI Set all, it stays blank. I messed around with the button and it crashed the game.

I could go on here, but I feel this is a mess right now.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 11-20-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #124
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Really was hoping for something here but I have to echo Marmel's comments.

Also hate the 2D. Jumps right into the play which is a major disconnect. Some plays seem to just show result, jumble of players. Comparing this to XOR is a major stretch.

Hopefully things get better in future versions, updates.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #125
djsatu
High School Varsity

Was really excited for this, but am sadly disappointed. Like other's, training is a mess as I cannot set the numbers to 25? Constant random gameplan numbers just doesn't seem right, and I also get no players showing up on the depth chart when I click AUTO set! The pull down menu text on the main screen to select conferences is cut off, and the 2D animations are hard on the eyes. Recruiting seems like a chore more than anything right now, as I just can't get into it. For 51 CDN dollars I'm gonna hold off until further testing and updates are done to further polish this game.

Last edited by djsatu : 11-21-2016 at 01:21 AM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #126
markprior22
High School Varsity

Unfortunately, I was so pumped that I bought the game. As others have said, I'm very disappointed. Game actually feels like it is in early beta stage. Shame on me.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #127
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm sad to hear these early impressions. I almost jumped on it yesterday, but decided to hold off as I was afraid that it would need more time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yikes... I bought last night and haven't had a chance to play it yet. Not good hearing these impressions.
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #129
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I won't quote and respond to each individual post in an effort to save time but I will make two comments.

1. Again I hope that if you are finding something that is not working properly that you post it on our forum so that Brooks can see it and fix it. With putting his time into developing the game he's probably not going to be here much although I will let him know the thread exists.

2. I think some of the comments are a mixture of personal preference and a new game doing things the way the developer felt made sense to him. I know that there have been tons of things over the years that when I developed them it made perfect sense as to how it would work and then there would be remarks about people not figuring out how it worked, too many clicks, this data should be here, etc... and I did what Brooks will do - listened to feedback and made adjustments.

The last couple of posts really surprise me because it feels like some people are just totally writing off the game because something wasn't explained well on how it works or because there is a display glitch....there's going to be bugs and they're going to be fixed but ultimately if you want a great game then I think you have to do what you had to do with FOF and OOTP and DDSPB and that's get in there and play and comment on how to make it better.

The demo gives you two full seasons worth of play so you can even play the heck out of that and try to engage Brooks and make changes that you feel would make it better. We will gladly make changes where they can be done to make the game experience better - to me that seems like a worthwhile effort. I think the game is an excellent start for a brand new product.

There is room for improvement of course but do you want to be involved in shaping the game now and in the future or do you want to just dislike it and hope that someday somebody makes a game you will like? There's a really good game here, it might be rough around the edges or take some getting used to but that's how almost every great game has started out. I hope you guys will give it some real time and work with Brooks to help shape things the way you would prefer to see them rather than just playing for a bit and totally giving up on it.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #130
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I purchased last night. I havent played it yet as I like to wait on a patch or two.

All I look for in sims is that they are realistic and make sense. Ive never been a fan of any sim that has training/practice as I feel it just gives the human player an additional advantage to exploit over the computer.

A college game that can "perfect" the art of recruiting would be my go to game.

It doesnt sound like it is the major stuff that is an issue right now Gary. It sounds more like it is simple stuff that could have been implemented differently. Instructional emails, training results, more sort features.

Keep your head up. At one times OOTP baseball was a very heavily bashed game on this forum. Tough but fair crowd over here.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #131
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I purchased last night. I havent played it yet as I like to wait on a patch or two.

All I look for in sims is that they are realistic and make sense. Ive never been a fan of any sim that has training/practice as I feel it just gives the human player an additional advantage to exploit over the computer.

A college game that can "perfect" the art of recruiting would be my go to game.

It doesnt sound like it is the major stuff that is an issue right now Gary. It sounds more like it is simple stuff that could have been implemented differently. Instructional emails, training results, more sort features.

And I'm totally understanding of that but like I said - those are things that can be pretty easily changed if people want to stick with it and work with it and give it some real play time. As a developer you don't know what the majority of people want until they tell you and this is the first time anyone has gotten to look at it and say ok I like this, I don't like that. I'm only asking that we don't forget about the "I like this" part and that we don't just give up with the things you don't like.

If you don't like year long recruiting or something like that yeah then there probably won't be a way to change that to your liking because that's fundamentally how the game works but if data can be displayed differently, things can be streamlined to be less clicks, information can be explained better...all those things can easily be changed to improve the experience.

Quote:
Keep your head up. At one times OOTP baseball was a very heavily bashed game on this forum. Tough but fair crowd over here.

If I didn't care what this crowd thought I would have left one of the other times one of our titles was being criticized. I think this is a valuable community and I want our games to be part of it and I want the community to be part of our games. That's why I hope everyone here will work at the game and work with Brooks to impart some of what they think will make it better - you guys are the ones we want to be happy. It doesn't matter how we thought something would work out in the game if the majority of people don't like it.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 11-21-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #132
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Just a minor tip.

Coaches reputation and Program prestige are easily the two most important things in determining interest level. Probably not any new news there for you.

I am sure as developers you run into the issue where a normal person isnt going to want to spend 10-20 seasons messing around before they build up a "reputation" good enough to bring in the 4-5 recruits so you try to speed that process up.

Possibly a work around is by making "pitch" more important with 2-3 recruits and having more variance in their actual talent level. A coach at Boise St/Western Michigan being able to consistently find players that outperform their recruiting rankings. Another difficult thing to implement as you dont want players to be able to game the system but have the opportunity to find these diamond in the rough guys.

IMO a game like this has to be built around the recruiting engine. If the recruiting isnt fun the rest of the game is not going to get legs. I know you guys will work it out. Thanks and Good Luck!
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #133
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Is there a manual anywhere for this game?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #134
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not writing the game off.. heck I just purchased it.

Will dig into it tonight for sure.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #135
Bee
Pro Starter

Just started up the game and I agree that for a new user the game is not very intuitive.

Is there a way to show overall rating under the "A-F" ratings screen? Not sure why it's called "A-F" ratings since I'm only seeing numbers and no A-F ratings....
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #136
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Just a minor tip.

Coaches reputation and Program prestige are easily the two most important things in determining interest level. Probably not any new news there for you.

I am sure as developers you run into the issue where a normal person isnt going to want to spend 10-20 seasons messing around before they build up a "reputation" good enough to bring in the 4-5 recruits so you try to speed that process up.

Possibly a work around is by making "pitch" more important with 2-3 recruits and having more variance in their actual talent level. A coach at Boise St/Western Michigan being able to consistently find players that outperform their recruiting rankings. Another difficult thing to implement as you dont want players to be able to game the system but have the opportunity to find these diamond in the rough guys.

IMO a game like this has to be built around the recruiting engine. If the recruiting isnt fun the rest of the game is not going to get legs. I know you guys will work it out. Thanks and Good Luck!

Agree with this. While there are no coach personalities in the game, you still have to have some variance when it comes to recruit class. Even middling teams occasionally get a 5 or 4 star.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #137
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Just started up the game and I agree that for a new user the game is not very intuitive.

Is there a way to show overall rating under the "A-F" ratings screen? Not sure why it's called "A-F" ratings since I'm only seeing numbers and no A-F ratings....

It's not saying "A-F ratings" its just an icon/button to click to change the display to show the ratings.

I'm interested in your (and everyone elses) thoughts to make the game more intuitive. This game presents an interesting challenge because we're taking TWO developers and their takes on things and like I said - it always makes sense to us because we did it

The "A-F ratings" icon/button is a good example. To me, this is the interface I use for the basketball games and the people who play the basketball games know where to find things, what to look for, what things mean etc but there are many people who have never tried the basketball games (what's wrong with those people - they are the best basketball sims out there ) so coming across something like this could be confusing.

This is why I'm asking people to stick with it and work with us - in fact one of the things I started in DDSPB17 was an in-game FAQ. It's only got a few things in it so far but they're the most common sticking points for new players. How do I sim a game? Stuff that to me would never think to be an issue. Almost anything negative/critical I have read in this thread can be changed and improved upon. This is the first time anyone but a handful of people have ever seen the game. Join up on our forums and help us make the game more intuitive and user-friendly and help make it the game you all want it to become.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #138
PilotMan
Head Coach

When I'm setting a master depth chart, how can I simplify that drop down? I don't need to see all the players in what appears to be a completely random order. I really want to see the positional grouping and perhaps an overall rating for them, or a couple of positional ratings to determine who to put there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #139
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think this game has enormous potential, and just some things to work out right now. I totally trust Gary and Brooks to get everything that can be tweaked/fixed in this version handled and I am enjoying it warts and all right now, even though it feels like I am beta testing at times.

I am just grateful for another College game finally and what I see as a solid commitment from Wolverine to stay with the product and keep making it better.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I can't play my first game.. ugh.. crashes every time.

The only thing I truly do not understand right now is training. Just wish I could actually play a game. My Tigers have a 97 OVR QB
Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #141
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fantastic support by Brooks.. seems to be working now, just beat Illinois 47-31.

The menus seem slow after I click on something, especially on the right hand side where you can see your team news, injuries and transactions. Redraw is also seen when I click a player card.. instead of popping right out, you can see the screen graphics drawing a bit. I have 16 GB of Ram and GTX 970 video card, so it's not my system.

Recruiting I like so far, now that I'm used to it a bit. Data is fantastic and lots of it displayed at once.

I know it will continue to improve, especially with the FOFC crew giving feedback!
Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #142
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Agreed about the slowness. Seems like it might be reading from a database on disk rather than RAM. I think I could probably get used to it if it consistently let you know that it was "thinking". Sometimes you get the universal waiting cursor, other times you don't, so you end up clicking again, wondering if the first time you clicked didn't register or something.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #143
digamma
Torchbearer

I don't think the Wolverine forums let me post attachments so I'm posting here and will link to this post so that Brooks can see this. Running into real issues with the sim engine:

End of half and end of game logic is really off. (See the time outs at the end of the half, even after third down from inside my own 20. Then see the end of game logic where all time outs get used and there are still multiple running plays.)

Penalty logic is off (I think it is giving results of the play an effect before marching off the penalty--in the screen shot you can see that there is a five yard gain from the 25, then a five yard penalty, and the result is 1st and 15 from the 25).

There is something funky with kick offs. (See 80+ yard kick offs which should be touchbacks).

The clock is running in OT, and I don't know if that has an effect on play calling logic.

Last edited by digamma : 11-21-2016 at 08:50 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Agreed about the slowness. Seems like it might be reading from a database on disk rather than RAM. I think I could probably get used to it if it consistently let you know that it was "thinking". Sometimes you get the universal waiting cursor, other times you don't, so you end up clicking again, wondering if the first time you clicked didn't register or something.

Yeah, I only save now when I exit because doing it during the game acts like it's not working.. but then it finally does save. When exiting the game, it shows you a progress and goes much faster.

Hopefully they iron out the speed issues... a text sim needs to display data instantly.. at least for me.. to really have me run off an hour or two at a time playing it.

Also, there are some screens that when you click on the player link, it doesn't go to the player card. Plus, certain screens you have to kick close before it will allow you to go to something else.. it should do that without having to click close. The less clicking and a faster process to get data is what I need in a text sim. (ala FOF and OOTP)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #145
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Glad to see the boards back - just a quick update. Brooks has started a thread where he is documenting what he's working on already

• View topic - Patch 1 Candidates

Also there will be some tutorial type videos available fairly shortly too from one of our awesome community members. Thanks everyone for the continued support!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #146
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Brooks has released the first update - a list of items is contained in the thread.

• View topic - Latest Update Available 11/29/16
Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #147
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

For those of you interested apparently one of our community members took on the challenge of a real roster mod.

• View topic - 2016-17 NCAA Rosters

Certainly didn't expect to see something like that but very cool so check it out if that's your thing
Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #148
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For those of you interested apparently one of our community members took on the challenge of a real roster mod.

• View topic - 2016-17 NCAA Rosters

Certainly didn't expect to see something like that but very cool so check it out if that's your thing

It reminds me of the console NCAA days.. oh how I miss those days!

Although I had 12 Mizzou players rated 100 OVR.. so it might need some tweaking before it's usable.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #149
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Yeah I don't know how accurate it will play out or anything like that but the fact that someone even put it together is pretty amazing and I'm sure with some testing and feedback he will make it really, really good.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #150
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Another bump for another update - also for those of you who felt lost or needed some documentation please visit our forums. We have a help guide, we've got posts walking through specific items and Ragin Cajun has done a series of YouTube videos walking through certain things all in an effort to help people get a foothold with the game so they can enjoy it even more.