Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sadly not good news for Florence for the SE Coast Gov of SC just issued a state of emergency for the state-could be a Cat 4 hurricane when its gets here, probably on Wed.

BEN EDIT:

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-13-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Based on the latest maps, the Triad/Triangle corridor in central NC (i.e. where I live) appears to be in the bulls-eye for the highest rainfall amounts, as Florence is expected to stall over land. It's extremely hilly where I live, so I'd expect flooding impacts to vary greatly. (My floor is probably 15 feet higher than the back of my property line, and there are homes 100 feet higher in elevation than ours in the same neighborhood.)
Old 09-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Ben E Lou

Nearly every high school football game in the area has been moved up, most to Wednesday. Coastal evac.

Our home should be good, but my wife's office is in a flood zone. Ugh.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stay safe
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
N
early every high school football game in the area has been moved up, most to Wednesday. Coastal evac.

Our home should be good, but my wife's office is in a flood zone. Ugh.

Same here. Most coastal counties under evacuation including here. Schools including Coastal Carolina closed starting tomorrow. Coastal moved up their football game vs Campbell to Wed and now playing at their place. Does not look like we are going to get a direct hit here right now but that can change. My brother who lived 5 mins away just moved this summer to 45 mins away and more inland, so we are heading there.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

All five million Walmarts in the area, give or take a million are closing as of Midnight tonight, so now I know its serious. Also I'm glad I went shopping there today.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Same here. Most coastal counties under evacuation including here. Schools including Coastal Carolina closed starting tomorrow. Coastal moved up their football game vs Campbell to Wed and now playing at their place. Does not look like we are going to get a direct hit here right now but that can change. My brother who lived 5 mins away just moved this summer to 45 mins away and more inland, so we are heading there.

smart move, so many people think they can ride it out. Not worth the risk
Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
All five million Walmarts in the area, give or take a million are closing as of Midnight tonight, so now I know its serious. Also I'm glad I went shopping there today.

tonight? isnt it supposed to hit Thursday?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

Good luck and stay safe

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
tonight? isnt it supposed to hit Thursday?

Yep but there's a lot of people to move out here along the coast, more so for this one because all evacuation zones are being asked to leave. They will be closing some east bound lanes on local highways to help with the traffic. And a lot of things to take care of with you house/yard/pets/kids before you are ready to leave. Unfortunately the state has has far too much experience with bad hurricanes to take their chances with it.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

fair enough, i hope to have power on Saturday

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Local high school game moved up to thursday.

Thomkal, if 45 minhutes isn't enough ping me..I'm basically in the rock hill area for a general locations and we have room if ya need it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Local high school game moved up to thursday.

Thomkal, if 45 minhutes isn't enough ping me..I'm basically in the rock hill area for a general locations and we have room if ya need it.

Thanks buddy! I'm heading to the Marion area so hoping that's far enough inland to avoid the worst of it. But I will keep you in mind if we need to go elsewhere (and you can deal with a cat)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #15
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not a cat fan...But I'd make an exception.
I think this thing is going north. I think Wilmington, jacks9nville, Fayetteville are in for an event but we will see
Old 09-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #16
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Stay safe folks.

Meanwhile, we are preparing for Typhoon Mangkhut here in Manila.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/speci...er-11-2018-5am
Old 09-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

Good Luck folks. Be safe up there!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #18
Ben E Lou

We're now in a transitional zone. Local meteorologists are saying a shift in track 50 miles either way could mean the difference between us getting 3-4 inches or 20-25 inches.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #19
Ben E Lou

Every Other Public Official In The Carolinas: "Take this storm seriously! Be prepared! Get your emergency kits together!"

My Mayor: "We have the BEST water system. Nothing can happen. THIS SHIP CANNOT BE SUNK!!!!1"

I hope that we don't get the unprecedented rainfall totals that are possible here so that this statement doesn't have to be tested. Regardless, this seems like a shockingly irresponsible statement for her to make.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-11-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
JPhillips
General Manager

I've got friends in the outer banks that have decided to stay. If the storm stays on the Euro path they'll probably be fine, but if it takes the American path I'll be very worried.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Apparently the City Of Greensboro and the Mayor Of Greensboro aren't exactly on the same page...

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Every Other Public Official In The Carolinas: "Take this storm seriously! Be prepared! Get your emergency kits together!"

My Mayor: "We have the BEST water system. Nothing can happen. THIS SHIP CANNOT BE SUNK!!!!1"

I hope that we don't get the unprecedented rainfall totals that are possible here so that this statement doesn't have to be tested. Regardless, this seems like a shockingly irresponsible statement for her to make.

Ben,

Those tweets will be used against her in every campaign if something does happen. Pretty foolish advice really.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

So we have decided here to move out tomorrow. Looks like the worse will miss us (sorry NC) but what happens after it hits now unclear. Maybe traffic won't be as bad? (ha!)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #24
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ben,

Those tweets will be used against her in every campaign if something does happen. Pretty foolish advice really.

Well, yeah. Beyond the fact that it could put lives in danger, it's also a massive and completely unnecessary political risk. Astonishingly poor judgment imo.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Well, yeah. Beyond the fact that it could put lives in danger, it's also a massive and completely unnecessary political risk. Astonishingly poor judgment imo.

Don't understand what she has to gain. Would have been smarter to issue a statement saying report price gouging or something. Or at least hedge and say she has faith in the system but it wouldn't hurt to stock up.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #26
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I guess I'm weird that I usually have some bottles lying around, but everytime I see people freaking out that they can't find bottled water anywhere I don't get why they can't just fill up some containers with tap water before the storm hits. Shoot, you can even just use extra pots or even your bathtub if you're desperate.

It'll still depend on exactly where the storm hits and if it hovers in any particular spot, but Charlotte looks like it'll be mostly unscathed. JPhillips, yeah I'd be a little worried. I'm sure they know better their house's elevation (and if they're actually on the Outer Banks or just near it), but that's the most likely spot right now for the worst (10-12') storm surges.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #27
JPhillips
General Manager

They live in Nag's Head, so I think they're being rather foolish. In their post they said that most of their friends are also staying. If Frances hits at the NC/SC line, they may be fine, but if it hits north of Wilmington...
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #28
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

I'm defying my governor's mandatory evacuation order. Don't rat me out.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I guess I'm weird that I usually have some bottles lying around, but everytime I see people freaking out that they can't find bottled water anywhere I don't get why they can't just fill up some containers with tap water before the storm hits. Shoot, you can even just use extra pots or even your bathtub if you're desperate.

fwiw, I saw nearly that same sentiment in the social media of a friend earlier. Not sure where the aversion to tap water came from exactly.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #30
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think it's always a good idea to have a couple cases of bottled water lying around. You may not get enough warning to pour tap water into containers sometimes.

For example, we just had a water line break near my neighborhood a couple weeks ago and were told not to drink the water. A few years a ago the water near the water intake valves looked like the picture below. We were told not to drink it even after boiling.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

Gee I'm glad FEMA will be there to help me if I'm affected by this hurricane...wait what's that? 10 million of FEMA's budget was given to ICE to help build detention centers at the border you say?

don't have a link but Senator Merkeley of Oregon was on Maddow tonight with the document that proves it.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #32
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not sure I will get the chance to log in tomorrow before I leave, so just wanted to thank everyone for their kind thoughts here and on Facebook. Some area is going to be hit by this monster, and its going to be pretty terrible. I really hope I have a home to come back to when its all over with. I hope the same for anyone in Florence's path or that tsunami hitting the Phillipines. I will try to let someone on Facebook or here know if things are okay here as soon as possible.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #33
bhlloy
Coordinator

First off, thoughts to everyone actually affected by this and I hope this question doesn’t come off as crass. Stay safe FOFC peeps.

For those in the area or have gone through this before, how much trouble do you think I might be in trying to get out of ATL airport on Thursday night? Is it worth trying to get out a day early or do you think it will largely be unaffected? Trying to get a handle on how much travel in general might be affected as well as flights that might be diverted to ATL once things hit.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
I'm defying my governor's mandatory evacuation order. Don't rat me out.

Why?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #35
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
fwiw, I saw nearly that same sentiment in the social media of a friend earlier. Not sure where the aversion to tap water came from exactly.
It doesn't even seem to be an aversion, just doesn't even cross people's minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
First off, thoughts to everyone actually affected by this and I hope this question doesn’t come off as crass. Stay safe FOFC peeps.

For those in the area or have gone through this before, how much trouble do you think I might be in trying to get out of ATL airport on Thursday night? Is it worth trying to get out a day early or do you think it will largely be unaffected? Trying to get a handle on how much travel in general might be affected as well as flights that might be diverted to ATL once things hit.
Will the weather be bad enough to affect ATL takeoffs/landings? I doubt it. But Charlotte (10th biggest airport by passenger volume) & Raleigh-Durham (only other southeast airport in the top 50 outside of Florida or Nashville) could be nearly completely closed and the ripple effects would be pretty bad. Especially if DC's airports get backed up at all too (idk if they'll be hit with more than an outer band or two by Thursday night, but I did see they declared a state of emergency too.)

Fwiw, are you in ATL & just flying out (presumably West), or are you connecting through there?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #36
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It doesn't even seem to be an aversion, just doesn't even cross people's minds.
Will the weather be bad enough to affect ATL takeoffs/landings? I doubt it. But Charlotte (10th biggest airport by passenger volume) & Raleigh-Durham (only other southeast airport in the top 50 outside of Florida or Nashville) could be nearly completely closed and the ripple effects would be pretty bad. Especially if DC's airports get backed up at all too (idk if they'll be hit with more than an outer band or two by Thursday night, but I did see they declared a state of emergency too.)

Fwiw, are you in ATL & just flying out (presumably West), or are you connecting through there?

In ATL for work, flying out at 8 on Thursday to LA. Leaving early is definitely possible but I’m also not going to back on site with this client for a month plus, so the extra day is more valuable than it would normally be... Thanks for the insight.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #37
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The updates today keep pushing it south and lingering into SC, and then most likely as a low into TN and KY. First thing this morning the cone had a definitive turn north into VA, now it's just going to meander WSW for a while without any systems to steer it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

fwiw
https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/har...v0WzxKhFglx3H/

Quote:
“We don’t think it will impact Atlanta and the Atlanta airport, but we are prepared to support other airports in the Southeast region that may be impacted, Bheodari said. ... Delta has not yet announced how many flights may be canceled due to the hurricane. The airline, which has a team of meteorologists, said it expects to make decision on flight cancellations or other disruptions at coastal airports about 24 hours before the storm makes landfall.

Some flight cancellations may be caused by airport conditions, such as flooding or power outages, according to Delta.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-11-2018 at 11:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

Stay safe, everyone who is in the path. These storms are scary shit.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Heh. I posted about this on FB and Twitter, and now multiple trusted friends who for various reasons have interacted with her directly have commented to me privately that the mayor is just a nitwit, and they're not at all surprised that she'd make a dumb and impulsive public statement like that. *shurg*

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-12-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #41
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why?

Just some logistical reasons. Not any matter of machismo, believe me. Weighed it, and it's the best decision. Not that I'm thrilled with it (especially now), but is what it is. We came through the last two years with nary a scratch - while this one looks to be worse yet, there are strong indicators that we'll be ok in our immediate area.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #42
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Just some logistical reasons. Not any matter of machismo, believe me. Weighed it, and it's the best decision. Not that I'm thrilled with it (especially now), but is what it is. We came through the last two years with nary a scratch - while this one looks to be worse yet, there are strong indicators that we'll be ok in our immediate area.

Not sure how long you've been in SC so if this is obvious I apologize.
Make sure you know your insurance policies well. Both health and homeowner coverage could be altered due to a decision to willfully defy a mandatory evacuation order.

Ive done it as well. Not judging there. Just a heads up that "I chose not to leave" could well void an insurance claim on an otherwise covered loss. Even if you were stopped at a red light and rear ended by another driver and there ended up being no weather event. Just saying.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #43
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is amazing how many decisions that end up being made in life--big and small--can be traced back to "our insurance company made us do it."

Heck, even the flip side of CU's situation (insurance not covering you if you stay during an evacuation) has insurance implications. A lot of businesses have business interruption insurance. But they only pay out if there is an official evacuation order. If no one comes to your coastal restaurant because there's a tropical storm coming, but there's no mandatory evacuation--then you are just out of luck.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #44
Ben E Lou

There are always angry Monday-morning quarterbacks in these situations, but it seems like the potential for that is much greater than normal here with the uncertainty of the storm track. The 2pm update has us in the 6-10 inches of rain zone, and schools are closing 2 hours early tomorrow, but it certainly appears that we could easily end up with like an inch and a half of rain and max winds of 20 mph if the southward trend continues.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #45
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
There are always angry Monday-morning quarterbacks in these situations, but it seems like the potential for that is much greater than normal here with the uncertainty of the storm track. The 2pm update has us in the 6-10 inches of rain zone, and schools are closing 2 hours early tomorrow, but it certainly appears that we could easily end up with like an inch and a half of rain and max winds of 20 mph if the southward trend continues.

Agree 100%. The storm is huge, and the track is uncertain. The prudent thing to do (which they are doing) is to tell lots of people to prepare. But that means, logically, that a lot of those people will not get even TS level winds/rain.

That was one issue with Katrina. The last storm to hit NOLA directly was in 1969. But throughout my childhood, there were multiple near misses that turned away at the last minute. Lots of people in the area had gotten used to evacuating and then having it be for naught. So at some point, they just stopped taking evacuation warnings seriously. Then Katrina happened.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #46
Ben E Lou

I giggled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41572267_2075339965834117_1966683306003005440_n.jpg (47.5 KB, 176 views)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #47
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Not sure how long you've been in SC so if this is obvious I apologize.
Make sure you know your insurance policies well. Both health and homeowner coverage could be altered due to a decision to willfully defy a mandatory evacuation order.

Ive done it as well. Not judging there. Just a heads up that "I chose not to leave" could well void an insurance claim on an otherwise covered loss. Even if you were stopped at a red light and rear ended by another driver and there ended up being no weather event. Just saying.

Very good points.

And yeah, this thing is crazy. The models are all over the place.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #48
Ben E Lou

Split Florence out into its own thread, as recovery discussion may be quite extended.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #49
Ben E Lou

Schools here closed tomorrow, making Guilford County the last major system (if not the last period) in this area to close.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #50
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Stay safe in the US and Phils. I can't really fathom what hell those storms really bring as I'm sure video doesn't begin to capture the havoc. Praying that these storms are not like Katrina or Haiyun.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote