Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Visit to Rome?

Hey all,

I've been to Rome once before (in 2004), so I obviously have a good idea of things to see - and I've seen the major sights. I'm taking my brother in February though (his first time - it was between Rome and London and he didn't want to pick, so I picked Rome), and I'm looking for any insight from folks here for interesting things/stuff off the beaten path.

Things we'll certainly hit: Vatican, St. Peter's, Sacred Steps, Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla, Capitoline Museums, San Clemente church (and the excavations underneath), Baths of Diocletian, Trajan's Market, National Roman Museum, any other churches we happen to walk by.

Considering: The Catacombs on the Appian Way, The Scavi tour (Vatican catacombs), maybe Ostia Antica?, maybe the long day-trip to Pompeii? Borghese galleries? Hadrian's Villa?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Maybe see if Roma or Lazio are playing a match?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How long are you going to be there? The aqueducts are pretty cool, especially if you have time to go out into the hills where they originated. Close to the Pantheon is one of the obelisks brought in from Egypt, and there are many others scattered around the city. Close to the Colosseum is the Senate houses and the former site of Circus Maximus. The Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain are also popular sites to visit.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
whomario
Pro Starter

first off, good choice. London is nice, but in february chances are high that itīs cold, wet and miserable I also have Rome on my short list for this years "short trip on a long weekend"

how much time do you have and what days are you there ? Thereīs so much that you sort of stumble onto in rome, iīd say you stick with the highlights and see what else comes up. But hereīs some i can recall (with a little help from mr google, itīs really a shame how quickly you forget the details ...) to enjoy very much when i last went a few years ago :

The park Villa Borghese is a must if you have a sunny day, inside the park is the Galleria Borghese, beautifull building with stunning pieces of art inside.

Santi Quattro Coronati is also simply awesome. Itīs basically a little fortress within the city holding a monastery today.

as for churches one i loved was Santa Costanza , beautifull shape of the building (very unique) and also some pretty cool mosaiques.

On a rainy day you could check out the Etruscan Museum

Go to Tivoli if you want to get out of the city for a bit! Roman sites, middle ages fortress, stunning gardens and parks with awesome fountains and just overall a beautifull place. Propably not as stunning on a bad weather day (i went there in summer), but still likely very cool. Donīt go on Mondays because then the Villa dEste will be closed, which is the main attraction.
About 20 miles from Rome.

Hadrians Villa (Villa Adriana) is definitely worth checking out if you go to Tivoli because itīs right on the way to there (i think only maybe 2 or 3 miles away). Both places can be easily reached by bus from rome.

Last edited by whomario : 01-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Maybe see if Roma or Lazio are playing a match?

There is a Roma game. I'm definitely pondering that yeah. Forgot to add that into my "pondering" list above.

They're playing Parma on the 19th.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wait a second - don't we still have at least one Italian here? Is Epi in Rome? A FOFC-Rome meetup would be classic.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
first off, good choice. London is nice, but in february chances are high that itīs cold, wet and miserable I also have Rome on my short list for this years "short trip on a long weekend"

how much time do you have and what days are you there ? Thereīs so much that you sort of stumble onto in rome, iīd say you stick with the highlights and see what else comes up. But hereīs some i can recall (with a little help from mr google, itīs really a shame how quickly you forget the details ...) to enjoy very much when i last went a few years ago :

We're likely going to land on the morning of Saturday 2/18 and depart on Friday 2/24 or Saturday 2/25.

Cool - yeah I was thinking about the Borghese gallery and Hadrian's villa (2 places I didn't get to go on my last trip). Will check out those churches too.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-12-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We went with my parents in February a couple of years ago. If you get lucky with the weather, it's the time of year to go- crowds seem fairly light for most things compared to what you think they should be. Our only bitterly cold day was when we went to Pompeii. It was about 40 with a really brisk wind- not terrible- but we hadn't really packed for that. BTW, Pompeii was definitely worth it, I thought, but I seem to remember it being a pretty long drive and you've got limited time. It was neat to see all the stuff that's thousands of years old just sitting out. But that's Rome in general.

The Vatican will take an entire day. Just assume as much- don't try to squeeze anything else in.

Really stupid suggestion but kindof a fun one. I used to do a lot of books on CD when driving around in Kansas City since I put about 30-40K miles per year on my work vehicle. I had just read Angels and Demons before going and it was like a road map of the cool stuff to see in the city. Yeah, it's Dan Brown and his cheesy prose but it was fun to do the "I just read that and now I'm there".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
We went with my parents in February a couple of years ago. If you get lucky with the weather, it's the time of year to go- crowds seem fairly light for most things compared to what you think they should be. Our only bitterly cold day was when we went to Pompeii. It was about 40 with a really brisk wind- not terrible- but we hadn't really packed for that. BTW, Pompeii was definitely worth it, I thought, but I seem to remember it being a pretty long drive and you've got limited time. It was neat to see all the stuff that's thousands of years old just sitting out. But that's Rome in general.

The Vatican will take an entire day. Just assume as much- don't try to squeeze anything else in.

Really stupid suggestion but kindof a fun one. I used to do a lot of books on CD when driving around in Kansas City since I put about 30-40K miles per year on my work vehicle. I had just read Angels and Demons before going and it was like a road map of the cool stuff to see in the city. Yeah, it's Dan Brown and his cheesy prose but it was fun to do the "I just read that and now I'm there".

SI

This was exactly my thought on entering this thread actually. That that book more than any other read put Rome on my "to do" list at some point in my life. I'm even a non-practicing Catholic, and yet had no interest in really seeing the Vatican prior to reading that book. Now I'll be all over it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And while the movie was kindof boring, the book was a decent page turner. I mean, how can you not hear over-dramatic announcer's voice: "So, the Illuminati have returned and claimed to have killed the Pope! They have kidnapped each of the four candidates for succession and will kill one per hour. Then, at midnight, the Vatican will explode from an anti-matter bomb! And only Robert Langdon can stop them!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - we did the Vatican last time...we were a bit rushed, but I'm planning on taking more of my time with the museum especially, this time around.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Booked! 2/18-2/25

Had to do a Saturday-to-Saturday instead of a Friday-to-Friday because I was getting fucked trying to change my flight to one that my brother could make on Friday night that would get us into Rome without losing the full day.

Connecting through Zurich, so I guess I can say that I've been to Switzerland too (albeit just the airport).
Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just heard back from my earlier email to the Vatican Excavations Office.

Got in on the Scavi tour (Vatican Catacombs) for one of the days we're there.

Doin it up right!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I hear they need a new pope soon. YOu oughtta sign up, DT.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I hear they need a new pope soon. YOu oughtta sign up, DT.

Bawhahaha.

I never even made it through Confirmation. Hell...I never even made it TO Confirmation. Dropped out before that.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Popey Torgo
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Popey Torgo

Only if i get my own Popemobile.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Only if i get my own Popemobile.

It will even play your theme song on the loudsp[eaker..."Popeman! nananananananananana Popeman!...."
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
Ramzavail
College Starter

Must see this statue. The best piece of artwork I saw in Italy and I pretty much saw the all the big ones.

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_and_Daphne_(Bernini)
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Klinglerware
College Starter

If you are thinking about a tour, I really enjoyed the walking tours I've booked with "Through Eternity". The tours are led by academics, who are much more knowledgeable than the average tour guide. It's probably not everybody's cup of tea (you will hear a lot about the socio-politcal and cultural contexts behind the sites visited, etc), but I did get a lot out of these tours.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
If you are thinking about a tour, I really enjoyed the walking tours I've booked with "Through Eternity". The tours are led by academics, who are much more knowledgeable than the average tour guide. It's probably not everybody's cup of tea (you will hear a lot about the socio-politcal and cultural contexts behind the sites visited, etc), but I did get a lot out of these tours.

I do like my academics. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bump - leaving tomorrow at 2PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
DougW
High School Varsity

Don't plan anything special out. Just, walk around, and do as they do.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Don't plan anything special out. Just, walk around, and do as they do.

2 morning tours, 1 day trip to Pompei, and 3 days "free" for visiting churches, Capitoline Hill museums, strolling, etc.

Think I'm going to pass on the Borghese Gallery tour, as that would be a whole nother morning taken up.