Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #151
Desnudo
Coordinator

Or maybe Durant was his Mark David Chapman
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #152
whomario
Pro Starter

As for the Lakers, the preseason should have set up big red warning lights for the people in charge. I know, i know ... "It´s only preseason", but loosing is never helpfull and the Lakers lost all 8 preseason games (that´s now 11 losses in a row, no matter the setting such a streak takes it´s toll). At some point they´ll have to simplify things on both ends and work stuff in bit for bit rather than all at once.

Besides that, i´m dumbfounded how anyone would figure a Princeton offense as the way to go with Nash and Howard as you aditions...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #153
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Nets' new mascot is just weird. The Brooklyn Knight. I'll post video once it becomes available.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #154
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Princeton offenses don't work. Just look at the Cowboys.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #155
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Besides that, i´m dumbfounded how anyone would figure a Princeton offense as the way to go with Nash and Howard as you aditions...

Yah, IMO they need just about the least elaborate playbook outside of Miami. Princeton is a good option if you aren't as individually skilled as your opponents because it works to get your guys shots, but when you have some of the best passers, creators, and finishers in the league... well... I don't see the point. It's basically the "zone defense" of offenses.

Have the ball in Nash or Kobe's hands, run a p'n'r with Howard/Gasol, and score points.

The defense is a worry though. I see no reason why this unit should be so bad on that end of the court, outside of lack of confidence thanks to how poorly they are scoring it.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #156
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lakers just need to cut down on turnovers by 10, and they are unstoppable.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #157
korme
Go Reds

Just realized I have a free preview of League Pass... this might be worth the money
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #158
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Lakers just need to cut down on turnovers by 10, and they are unstoppable.

...or play the Pistons every game.

Westbrook with another stinker as the Thunder lose at home to a Josh Smith-less Hawks. Youch. Durant 2 assists off a triple-double (...and 4 turnovers off a quad...). Martin taking up the scoring role of Harden off the bench, but doesn't bring any of the other stuff Harden did.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #159
Groundhog
Coordinator

Johnny Flynn just signed with an Aussie pro team... Highest profile player we've had since Todd Fuller!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #160
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Just realized I have a free preview of League Pass... this might be worth the money

NBA League Pass Broadband Is Shit, And You Should Not Buy It
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #161
Groundhog
Coordinator

I personally think it's fantastic, but that's because, outside of NBA.tv, there is no way to catch more than 2 or 3 games a week over here, nearly all containing either Miami or Lakers.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #162
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

On DirecTV? I was checking it out, but I work evenings and I don't get home early enough to catch all of the west coast games.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #163
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I personally think it's fantastic, but that's because, outside of NBA.tv, there is no way to catch more than 2 or 3 games a week over here, nearly all containing either Miami or Lakers.

I have no way of watching Rockets games right now since Comcast is in a pissing match with every other Houston cable company to try and gouge them for Comcast Sports: Houston.

The only option would be to, ahem, stream it online and that's not a good answer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #164
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Johnny Flynn just signed with an Aussie pro team... Highest profile player we've had since Todd Fuller!

Shit, what the hell happened to him?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #165
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Well injuries have pretty much killed his NBA career at this point, I Imagine he's using our league to get himself in shape for a big contract in China or Europe - most likely China.

We don't pay nearly as well as China or Europe (I'm guessing he'll get around $250K on the books here, maybe twice that with some common-yet-illegal sponsorship boosting) but the lifestyle down here is definitely better than most Euro leagues, and with generally just one game per week and travel between cities by plane, it's an easier transition for an NBA player than being crowded into the back of a team bus travelling 10 hours to a city you can't pronounce.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #166
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh man....we're getting tough on flopping already

Glad to see them going after well known players, not.
Quote:
J.J. Barea and Donald Sloan were the first players to receive a warning for violating the NBA's new flopping rule.

Both players will receive a $5,000 fine for their next flopping violation.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #167
Groundhog
Coordinator

lol @ these. Not saying they weren't exaggerated, but these hardly seem like the worst flops in the world. Fredette pushed off with his arm and I think it was more the hip-to-hip contact with Hinrich that pushed Sloan and Hinrich over:

Barea Receives Flopping Warning | NBA.com
Sloan Receives Flopping Warning | NBA.com
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #168
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Well injuries have pretty much killed his NBA career at this point, I Imagine he's using our league to get himself in shape for a big contract in China or Europe - most likely China.

We don't pay nearly as well as China or Europe (I'm guessing he'll get around $250K on the books here, maybe twice that with some common-yet-illegal sponsorship boosting) but the lifestyle down here is definitely better than most Euro leagues, and with generally just one game per week and travel between cities by plane, it's an easier transition for an NBA player than being crowded into the back of a team bus travelling 10 hours to a city you can't pronounce.

I watched most of his games at Syracuse but don't follow the NBA very closely so I was surprised to see was already out of the league. Ya, I can see the appeal of playing in Australia, I think another Syracuse guy, Eric Devendorf, played in that league after his New Zealand team cut him for getting in a bar fight or something.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #169
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

He was drafted by the Timberwolves.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #170
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I watched most of his games at Syracuse but don't follow the NBA very closely so I was surprised to see was already out of the league. Ya, I can see the appeal of playing in Australia, I think another Syracuse guy, Eric Devendorf, played in that league after his New Zealand team cut him for getting in a bar fight or something.

Yeah Devendorf was here for a season (or part of a season...) with the same team actually. Unfortunately for him it was as part of the most misguided attempts at building a team in our league history, as they had Devendorf and a very undersized PG (5'8) teamed with 3 immobile PF/Cs in the starting 5. Devendorf could play, but he had no chance with that horrendous squad... and lots of losses generally leads to your imports getting released, which is what happened to him.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #171
Groundhog
Coordinator

Impressive win by the Cavs over the Clippers today. Turnovers killed the Clips, but Irving came up big in the final minutes after a rough game, and Waiters just could not miss, 7/11 from 3pt. Good to see the bench contribute anything as well, with Zeller having a nice night, and Miles remembering how to score the ball.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #172
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

yep, that's waiters. if he's feeling it he's unguardable.

the timberwolves are shockingly white.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #173
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
the timberwolves are shockingly white.
Civil rights leaders question Timberwolves racial makeup
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #174
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Impressive win by the Cavs over the Clippers today. Turnovers killed the Clips, but Irving came up big in the final minutes after a rough game, and Waiters just could not miss, 7/11 from 3pt. Good to see the bench contribute anything as well, with Zeller having a nice night, and Miles remembering how to score the ball.

And as a counterpoint a disturbing loss for the Clippers. Too many jump shots on offense, not enough ball movement. And on defense, although you figure Irving will get his, and Waiters was just unconscious, it's criminal to let Varejao just uncontested shots from 15 feet out or to let Zeller have a big game against you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #175
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
it'd be easy to dismiss if it wasn't minnesota. imagine some marketing email leaking --white players sell more jerseys in our demo--
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #176
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
it'd be easy to dismiss if it wasn't minnesota. imagine some marketing email leaking --white players sell more jerseys in our demo--
It would be harder for me to dismiss if the articles and quotes didn't try to use Andrei Kirilenko, Nikola Pekovic, Ricky Rubio, and of course Jose Juan Barea as evidence (Kevin Love seems to get a pass). If someone is arguing that they're getting guys like Chase Budinger and Greg Stiemsma over equally or marginally more talented players to fill out the end of their bench, I have no room to throw stones as a fan of a team who paid Brian Scalabrine to be an oversized mascot, but going after 3 legitimate starters (2 on cheap contracts) and a Puerto Rican seems to be pushing it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #177
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i was just joshin as the kids say

maybe kahn's discovered some market inefficiency
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #178
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And as a counterpoint a disturbing loss for the Clippers. Too many jump shots on offense, not enough ball movement. And on defense, although you figure Irving will get his, and Waiters was just unconscious, it's criminal to let Varejao just uncontested shots from 15 feet out or to let Zeller have a big game against you.

I think the scouting report on Varejao has been to give him that shot over playing up on him and letting him drive to the basket or giving him more space to pass to cutters near the hoop, but he's been knocking those down so far this season at a pretty good clip. Makes him a tough guard.

I don't know if Zeller will ever be bulky enough to amount to much, but he is surprisingly good from one step inside the 3pt line. Hasn't shown a great deal else so far.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #179
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I kind of decided that I wasn't watching the Cavs as long as Boobie is still playing for them. I may have to break this promise. It's so awesome we spent all offseason not bothering to try to get better...I mean why would we want to even attempt to try if tanking is some utopia of awesomeness and we're guaranteed to get good picks/players.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #180
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I kind of decided that I wasn't watching the Cavs as long as Boobie is still playing for them. I may have to break this promise. It's so awesome we spent all offseason not bothering to try to get better...I mean why would we want to even attempt to try if tanking is some utopia of awesomeness and we're guaranteed to get good picks/players.

Boobie is still getting too many minutes but at least he is purely playing the role he is suited for - ie. shoot a 3 anytime he has some space. There is no alternative to Boobie unfortunately (outside of Donald Sloan who is a marginal NBA player at best), as we have stockpiled 11th and 12th-men level 'talents' at SF/PF at the expense of any guards.

I kinda think we might have been better off keeping the picks we traded for Zeller and picked up some depth, as this is looking like a strong draft as far as rotation players go.

Cavs are definitely more enjoyable to watch this year than the last couple though, even outside of just Irving. Waiters looks like he's always on the verge of doing something great, and Varejao is probably my favourite player in the league right now based on the number of awesome non-scoring plays he's had over the first handful of games.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Andy's def one of my favorite players of all time. I'll probably make it to a game or two this season if they can at least feign like we're going to be decent.

Also, I was thinking that we should try to acquire Tyreke Evans at some point this year if he's available. He can legitimately create offense. He'd be worth trying out for 20-30 games before he is eligible for restricted FA this offseason.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #182
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It would be harder for me to dismiss if the articles and quotes didn't try to use Andrei Kirilenko, Nikola Pekovic, Ricky Rubio, and of course Jose Juan Barea as evidence (Kevin Love seems to get a pass). If someone is arguing that they're getting guys like Chase Budinger and Greg Stiemsma over equally or marginally more talented players to fill out the end of their bench, I have no room to throw stones as a fan of a team who paid Brian Scalabrine to be an oversized mascot, but going after 3 legitimate starters (2 on cheap contracts) and a Puerto Rican seems to be pushing it.

I have no insight into how the TWolves work, but I've just figured they've gone the same sort of path as Toronto. They aren't going to be able to attract big name FAs, so they've put together a group of guys that are perhaps a little underrated and have a good chance of sticking around if they perform well, rather than be lured away to bigger markets. The fact that these guys happen to be white(ish)... well, that's probably why they are underrated in the first place.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #183
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Knickerbockers look good so far this preseason.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #184
whomario
Pro Starter

Dallas (4-1) and Minny (3-1) so far doing a good job staying afloat without their star players. OJ Mayo has been terrific so

marc gasol has 23 assists and 4 TOs through the first 4 games
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-08-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #185
spleen1015
Coordinator

With Granger out for 3 months, the Pacers are in big trouble. I don't think they'll make the playoffs because he'll end up being out longer than that.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

3-0 versus playoff teams. 0-2 versus lottery teams.

Your Los Angeles Clippers, ladies and gentlemen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #187
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
With Granger out for 3 months, the Pacers are in big trouble. I don't think they'll make the playoffs because he'll end up being out longer than that.

...and my NBA Fantasy Team nightmare continues...
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Varejao hurt already? hopefully he's back soon.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #189
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Varejao hurt already? hopefully he's back soon.

Yeah doesn't sound like it's anything major. Zeller and Varejao being down at the same time gives us probably the worst big guy rotation in the universe.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #190
Radii
Head Coach

Kevin Garnett Gave A Weird, Profane Postgame Screed On Team Chemistry And Comcast

Quote:
You can't speed chemistry up. The more you practice, the more you get familiar with each other. There's no hit the fast forward button here. You got Comcast. Some shows you can't fast forward through, you got to let it go through and watch the silly-ass commercials and be pissed, right? This is what this is. Did I just take a shot at Comcast? Fuck it, I did. So what. I'm a Direct-TV guy anyway. Anyway look, this is what this. I'm not helping myself am I? Fuck it, anyway that's what's this is.

fucking comcast!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #191
Logan
Head Coach

Lakers fired Mike Brown.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #192
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

it would be hilarious if they hire stan van gundy
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #193
heybrad
Norm!!!

So is Phil coming back?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #194
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im also convinced the only thing interesting about the nba regular season is the off the court drama
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #195
Logan
Head Coach

D'Antoni?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #196
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
D'Antoni?

There was a small rumor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #197
molson
General Manager

Geez, it's 5 regular season NBA games. Kobe or somebody must have wanted him gone for a while, or there must be someone they really, really want to bring in, and this is the excuse to do it.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #198
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Lakers fired Mike Brown.

awesome.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Geez, it's 5 regular season NBA games. Kobe or somebody must have wanted him gone for a while, or there must be someone they really, really want to bring in, and this is the excuse to do it.

That and the fact that he's a fucking horrible coach.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #200
whomario
Pro Starter

Imo, whoever new takes over will (and should) simply let the players sort it out. Without training camp, you can´t do much else really.

And to be honest, D´Antoni makes sense.