Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Mack Johnson, Major Leaguer - The Dynasty

MACK'S STORY PT. 1
Mack Johnson his whole life wanting to be a Chicago Cub. From the time he was four years old, he put a glove on his hand and was playing baseball from noon until night. That's all he did. His dad even build a mound in the basement, with a backstop in the basement.

He was born for baseball and it born for him.

At 18, Mack headed for small Monmouth College in the bush of Western Illinois. This Division III club was not in the best of conferences in what many considered to be the bush leagues of college baseball. Nonetheless, Mack was certain that he was destined to be a major league star.

After a year at Monmouth, he was moved from the outfield to the mound. Coach Mike Jones at Monmouth decided that he needed Mack's power arm and that his bat could help him on other days. His sophomore year, he led the nation in ERA with a 1.12 and won 14 games. He also batted .466 and had 8 homers.

What happened next, no one saw coming.

Mack worked that off-season, convinced that he might never see the majors. He got a call from a scout that saw him play at a tournament in Florida that spring and told him that he had potential and he wanted to see him become the next Carlton Fisk. "You've got all the tools kid. I watched you and I know what I'm talking about."

Mack had heard it all before and didn't know what to think from the aging sage. He figured maybe the old scout was just a guy talking to help boost his confidence. But little did he realize, just who he was talking to.

Mack decided that off-season to join a traveling team in Florida. The team traveled the nation barnstorming. The team consisted mostly of older guys, some in their mid-to late 20s and some in their 30s. He didn't know what to expect, but figured that it was worth a try to go with the team.

The Florida Greyhound were a bunch of lively characters. From "Sonny" Johnson, their star pitcher to 26 year old outfield Skippy Wells. The one ominious character who really intrigued Mack was the leader of the club, Cesar Quinones. "Mad Dog" was the only guy on the club who even came close to the show. Quinones played in the Mexican majors and even hit a homer off Fernando Valenzuela during one winter. He talked about that ALL the time.

The 20 year old Mack was on the bus after a trip from Jacksonville where they beat up on the Jacksonville Jackrabbits, when Mad Dog sat next to him. "So you want to go the show, eh?" which reminded Mack of watching old "I Love Lucy reruns" as a child, even though Ricky Ricardo was Cuban. "Yes sir, that's my goal." The guys laugh when the hear the kid call him sir. "Boy, I was that young once." said Rocky, the third catcher who does nothing but hit homeruns. "Hey Rocky, how many men's teams carry a third catcher?" said Jack "Hey Jack, how many times you had your ass kicked by a third catcher on a men's team?"

The guys laugh and Mad Dog tells Mack "Listen kid, you got a flair. Something special, i dunno what it is. But you better work hard and don't give up, no matter how hard it is."

Those words would ring true, as the next year would be one he'd never forget.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Scout

The year is 1987.
The California Angels aren't getting it done on the field. At 36-51, they're 3.5 games out of last place in the AL West.

Enter Scout Fred Winsch. Fred has been scouting since before he can remember. "But not in the way you think of ordinary scouting. I used to go to Legion games and watch kids. Just knowing that one day I'd find my star. He's out there. I can feel it." he says in his patent scratchy voice. But unlike the oracle of scouts, those who find the best players and always pride themselves in "the find".

Fred is no such scout. In fact, he's been with the Angels since 1970 and got a job as a favor to Gene Autry, who went to high school with him. "I don't think the Cowboy even remembered me. But he took me at my word and gave me a job." he said.

The organization has been going downhill, seeking to propel itself to the next level. "We're not there yet, but we are working hard to establish ourselves." said GM Dan Marrent.

Fred gets into his car on Thursday, driving like he does for miles and miles. He says he never has any direction. He just goes until he can find someplace, sees baseball being played, gets out and watches. He loves to tell stories to fans watching games or to tell parents of boys and girls that they too can someday watch their child in a major league stadium. "But work haard and don't ever give up. The game always goes on and its not gonna wait fer ya." was his patent line.

Today he's on I-75, headed south in Florida. Not sure where he's going, but knowing that it would be a good day...
Old 02-11-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

THE GAME..

Fred arrived at Costa Verde Baseball Complex. He pulls out his notebook and heads over to Field 3 to check out a pitcher he's heard about.

"Marty Blackmun is his name. You heard of tha kid?" he asks one of the few fans watching the game. The fan points to the mound and he says him.

Blackmun throws for an inning or two, and Fred sits uninterested. He doesn't even pull out his radar gun. "I don't want to get this kid's hopes up." he says to himself.

During the top of the next inning, he returns from getting a hot dog from the cart outside the field and walks back in when he sees the opposing team's catcher fire a ball to second base getting the runner out. He almost drops his soda when looking at him.

He rushes back to his bleacher seat. He tells himself that "this kid is special" and just watches more of the game.

Next half inning, the catcher comes to bat. "Who is this guy?" he asks one of the fans. The fan shrugs, "I think he's some new kid from college."

Mack gets up to the plate. Chews his bubble gum twice....points his bat in the air, jumps three times and steps into the batter's box. "What the **** is he doing" someone yells from the stands.
He yells back, "I'm getting ready to go to work. Is that a problem for you?" The 13 or so fans in the stands laugh. Fred just smiles and gets out his "Special pen".

::CRACK:: The Greyhounds dugout clears as the first pitch goes off the bat and clears the center field fence. "Woo hoo! You smacked that one kid." one person says. "I bet you WERE going to work." said Mad Dog.

Two more innings pass and the Greyhounds lose the game. But Fred goes to the fence at the end of the game and looks for Mack. "Hey kid, can I talk to you?" he asks in his patent raspy voice. Mack, looking curiously walks over to the old man and tells him, "Sure sir, what can I do for you?"

"Well, the question isn't what can you do for me. But I might have a friend who would be interested in your services?" he says. "Who might this friend be?" asks Mack.

"Ever heard of the California Angels?" says Fred. "Wait. So you're saying you watched me play and you want to sign me to a big league contract?" Mack asks.

"Kid, I don't want to do anything. But I tell you what. Opportunities are like shooting stars. You might see one, you may never. But if you don't make a wish, you're a damned fool." says Fred.

Mack didn't know what to think of the old man's axiom, but without thinking he told him that he'd do whatever he wanted. Little did he think about the fact that he had a college career to finish, a men's league team that has committed to him. He just knew that he wanted to play ball in the big leagues and this was his shooting star. He wanted to ride it.

Mack Johnson the major leaguer was born.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GOIN' TO CALI...

Mack withdraws from college and true to his word, Fred sends him a major league contract three days after their discussion.

How does this unlikely story happen?

Fred calls Angels headquarters in Anaheim, "YOU'RE NOT GONNA BELIEVE THIS ONE" he tells the front office. "I've got my hands on the next Babe Ruth I tell ya. It's Ruth!"

"Fred are you smoking again? Maybe its the age? Didn't you PLAY with Ruth?" asks Assistant GM Mark Mayer. "This kid is the real one, I'm telling ya Mahhhk...It's real. I gotta sign 'em"

"Real like Dick Schofield real?" he says laughing in the background. "Alright, alright. Don't have a heartattack. I'll let you sign him on this condition. He comes here and starts tomorrow." he says.

Fred says, "What? I didn't tell ya he's a finished product. He's just a good kid with some potential."

"Potential? Babe Ruth was more than potential Fred. Now sign the kid and put him on a plane for LA. We need a catcher and we need one now. Bring him and if he doesn't produce, then you're done." he says.

Fred: "I give you all these years. I knew ya daddy when he was GM and this is how you treat me?"

Mark: "Listen Fred, I can't keep letting you sign these kids who don't pan out. When did you sign a depenable major league player?" he says

Fred: "He's the real one Mark. The real one. I'm telling ya."

Mack has no idea this conversation happens. The Greyhounds bought his plane ticket, since Fred didn't have enough cash to give him anything. "I'll pay you with my first check guys."

"Don't mention it kid, just go there and do us proud!" said Mackey Brown, the team's backup shortstop.

Proud.....and them some.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

This is sounding like a very good dynasty. I am looking forward to reading it
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bah. Having attended Monmouth College, and presently residing 12 miles from Monmouth, IL, I can safely say no athletic talent has ever come out of there.

Mack's doomed, I say! Doomed!

(on a serious note, looking forward to the read)
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

HAHAHA...yeah d00d..I know and you know that no one has ever come out of here. That's why its a fantasy

I'm glad you're enjoying it though...It should be interesting I've never done one like this before.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-12-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hey, if this thread turns into a source of entertainment and a proper distraction from work, I'll drag your arse over to Galesburg sometime and buy you a beer.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Smile

Hopefully I can live up to that lofty expectation.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thumbs up In the Clubhouse...

Mack walks into the clubhouse (After getting stopped three times for ID and not being identified), he gets stopped by Angels manager Dick Donnelly. "HEY KID, GET IN HERE!"

Mack walks quickly into the office. Donnelly slams the door. After the door is closed, he cracks a smile and says "Welcome aboard kid. Now listen, this place is like boot camp. I know you're probably taking it all in right now and not too sure what to think. That's fine. But recognize that you've got an opportunity and even if you fail, these days - no matter how hellish they might seem - are gonna be some of the best of your life."

Mack smiles and says "Thanks skip, I'll do my best."

Dick yells, "YOU GODDAMN RIGHT YOU ARE. YOU'RE STEALING A VETERAN'S JOB. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? BABE FUCKING RUTH? YOU'RE GONNA GET OUT THERE AND WIN ME GAMES. YOU'D BETTER BE TWICE AS GOOD AS THEY SAY YOU ARE...OR ELSE I'LL HAVE YOUR ASS BACK TO THE BUSH LEAGUES FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY BLACK JACK"

Dick simmers down and says "Do we understand?"

Mack understands and walks out. He admittely doesn't know all the names of the players on the team. So, he walks around the clubhouse looking at the lockers. He gets to number 23 and sees the name above hasn't been placed in yet. "Hey there kid." says the player.

Speechless, Mack could say nothing but, "H-H-H...Hi" "Don Mattingly, in case you didn't know." Mattingly was traded to the Angels in a three team trade, after the star claimed that he was "tired of New York, the Boss and wanted a fresh start." The 1985 AL MVP gets his fresh start on the 5th place Angels.

Mack walks over to the end of the clubhouse and sees his locker. His jersey is there and has the number 79 on it. "Our bullpen catcher got sent down last night. So that's the best we could for you. If you're as good as they say you are, maybe we'll let you change it later." says the Equipment Manager, Pokey Ramos.

The game is 7:05 and its already 2pm. Mack knows the days will go by fast. He just hopes he's not sent down in a whirlwind because he can't handle the pressure.

He goes out to the field and just takes a lap around the field. He never believed this dream would be real..especially not this fast.

But it is and he's here..
Old 02-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The First Month...

August 4, 1987

In the office of the GM

Dan: BABE RUTH? BABE RUTH? What the HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! He's only hit ONE HOMERUN! I didn't bring this kid here to hit ONE HOMERUN!

Fred: Daaahhhnn, he's only got one homa, but he's got no erras either.

Dan: FANS DON'T CARE ABOUT ERRORS. THEY WANT HOMERS!

Fred: He's ahhhjusting to the majors. What do you expect? He never played in the minors either.

Dan: I've got an offer for him. He'll clear waivers and I'll send him away. If other teams are willing to bite on a second-rate kid who isn't going to do anything but be a contact hitter, I'll send him away.

Fred: You do that and I'll quit. This kid has got heart.

During his first month, Mack hits .278 with 1 HR and 10 RBI. He's got no errors and the Angels pitchers are thrilled with his ability to call a game. Yet, many players think all the fuss over "The Kid" is a bit much and preferred someone with some punch to their bat.

Despite the talk, the Angels have one of the youngest cores in baseball. Right Fielder Jay Buhner is 21, Mattingly is 26, Mark McLemore is 22 and Mack Johnson is 20. Despite this, there is little offensive production in the lineup. Mattingly is the only player with at least 20 homers.

The ownership wants to win now and sell the team for a huge profit. That's why it splurged and made trades, despite sending Wally Joyner to the AL East leading New York Yankees where he is hitting .366 in 19 games there.

"I'll make any trades I can to get this team into contention." says the GM Dan Marent.

"The hell with trades. In my day, you build your team through the fahhmmm system." says Fred.

"Don't you have somewhere to be Fred?" he says.

In the next episode - End of season One and Mack on the road with groupies...
Old 02-24-2003, 01:03 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trade rumblings...

The California Angels experienced an amazing turn around in the 1987 season. The Angels finished the season in third with a record of 82-80. The young core of the Angels give the club a bright future.

Mack Johnson played in 59 games, batted .277 in 224 at-bats. He had 19 doubles, 1 homer and 36 RBI. He had one error in 59 games for a .998 fielding pct.

In the office of the GM

Dan: What are we going to do about Johnson?

Mark: Trade him. Surely somebody wants a rookie catcher who is generating a buzz. Do we have any offers?

Dan: Cleveland called, but I'm not sure about that. Pittsburgh has a bench warmer named John Cangelosi that I think has some upside. We could send Devo White with 'em and make a package out of it.

Mark: Well, what are we trying to do?

Dan: I WANT TO WIN A GODDAMN SERIES. AUTRY IS ON MY BACK. WE NEED TO GET THIS KID OUT OF HERE WHILE HE STILL HAS SOME TRADE VALUE. HE'S GONNA BOMB NEXT YEAR AND I'M NOT GONNA BE THE ONE TO TAKE THE FALL FOR IT!

Mark: Ok, Ok....we'll pull the trigger on something.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:22 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1987 SEASON RESULTS

In the playoffs:

The Yankees hold off the Montreal Expos to win the 1987 World Series.

AMERICAN LEAGUE (1987)

AL EAST W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA
New York 101 61 .623 -- .285 239 141 4.43
Milwaukee 90 72 .556 11.0 .294 187 128 4.68
Boston 82 80 .506 19.0 .279 161 92 4.36
Detroit 82 80 .506 19.0 .281 249 60 5.16
Baltimore 79 83 .488 22.0 .273 264 128 5.35
Toronto 71 91 .438 30.0 .256 203 90 5.78
Cleveland 66 96 .407 35.0 .268 192 151 6.13

AL WEST W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA
Oakland 92 70 .568 -- .262 223 111 3.90
Seattle 89 73 .549 3.0 .269 191 149 4.18
California 82 80 .506 10.0 .243 162 154 4.14
Minnesota 81 81 .500 11.0 .261 213 87 4.48
Kansas City 80 82 .494 12.0 .272 137 154 4.24
Texas 76 86 .469 16.0 .265 239 114 4.77
Chicago 63 99 .389 29.0 .253 177 115 5.05

NATIONAL LEAGUE (1987)

NL EAST W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA
Montreal 119 43 .735 -- .257 136 154 2.71
Pittsburgh 100 62 .617 19.0 .268 123 121 3.26
Chicago 93 69 .574 26.0 .248 219 110 3.59
St. Louis 87 75 .537 32.0 .260 79 209 2.76
New York 85 77 .525 34.0 .240 141 109 3.46
Philadelphia 79 83 .488 40.0 .244 120 103 3.84

NL WEST W L PCT GB AVG HR SB ERA
Cincinnati 85 77 .525 -- .243 152 111 3.99
Houston 70 92 .432 15.0 .223 110 146 3.88
San Francisco 69 93 .426 16.0 .228 168 94 3.68
Atlanta 68 94 .420 17.0 .234 150 152 3.81
San Diego 68 94 .420 17.0 .231 102 127 3.87
Los Angeles 49 113 .302 36.0 .226 107 138 3.90

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Yankees defeat Athletics, 4-3
Expos defeat Reds, 4-0

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Yankees defeat Expos, 4-2

AMERICAN LEAGUE (1987)

Best Pitcher Roger Clemens (BOS)
Player of the Year: Mike Pagliarulo (NYY)
Rookie Of The Year: Mike Greenwell (BOS)

Gold Glove (P): Bret Saberhagen (KC)
Gold Glove (C): Dave Valle (SEA)
Gold Glove (1B): Fred McGriff (TOR)
Gold Glove (2B): Frank White (KC)
Gold Glove (3B): Wade Boggs (BOS)
Gold Glove (SS): Cal Ripken (BAL)
Gold Glove (LF): Mel Hall (CLE)
Gold Glove (CF): Robin Yount (MIL)
Gold Glove (RF): Jesse Barfield (TOR)

NATIONAL LEAGUE (1987)

Best Pitcher Sid Fernandez (NYM)
Player of the Year: Ozzie Smith (STL)
Rookie Of The Year: Joe Magrane (STL)

Gold Glove (P): Greg Maddux (CHC)
Gold Glove (C): Mike LaValliere (PIT)
Gold Glove (1B): Leon Durham (CHC)
Gold Glove (2B): Ryne Sandberg (CHC)
Gold Glove (3B): Tim Wallach (MON)
Gold Glove (SS): Ozzie Smith (STL)
Gold Glove (LF): Billy Hatcher (HOU)
Gold Glove (CF): Willie McGee (STL)
Gold Glove (RF): Glenn Wilson (PHI)
Old 02-24-2003, 04:27 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shopping Mack...

Angels Assistant GM Mark Mayer is shopping Mack Johnson around the majors.

::Rings::

Seattle GM: Hello?

Mark: Hey Ed, Mark Mayer here! How's it going?

Seattle GM: Who? What?

Mark: Mark Mayer, California Angels.

Seattle GM: Oh, you. What?

Mark: I was wondering if you heard about our new phenom. Mack Johnson. Yeah, he's the real deal.

Seattle GM: Real deal, eh? Then why the **** are you shopping him harder than MTV pushes rap music to suburbia?

Mark: Well, I was thinking maybe we could help each other out.

Seattle GM: The way I see it, I finished ahead of you. So you need my help. I don't need yours. ::hangs up::

::dials::

Mark: (mumbles to self) I've got to rid of this kid. Somebody has to take him.

Little does he realize the next call he makes is one that Mack himself will never forget. It continues the dream further...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:33 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NOVEMBER 6, 1987
Angels receive Gaspar Joulios (CF), Joel Skinner (C), Greg Maddux (SP) and Jody Davis (C) and cash.
Cubs receive Mack Johnson (C), Devon White (RF) and Al Leiter (SP)

Mack is interviewed by Baseball America
Editor: So, how does it feel to go from Division III obscurity to being traded for real major leaguers.

Mack: I'm happy. I've wanted to be a Cub all my life. This is like a dream that I haven't woken up from. I can't believe it...

Editor: Do you think you're overrated?

Mack: I think its been an adjustment from playing in college, adult ball to now. I think in time I'll continue to improve.

Editor: Your old colleagues on the Angels spoke highly of you.

Mack: Really? Well that's awesome. I really appreciate Fred Winsch giving me a shot and all the guys on that team accepting me, even though I was a rookie and was really green behind the ears.

Editor: Best of luck in your career.

Mack: Thanks!

ESPN'S Peter Gammons talks about the trade
I think this trade is a beautiful one for the Angels. They get a starter on the rise in Maddux. I'm not sure I believe that Johnson can adapt to the majors. He had a decent showing, but I don't see him as anything more than a borderline catcher with great defensive skills for the rest of his career.

The Cubs have improved themselves immesenly signing 3B Paul Molitor and SP Dwight Gooden. They've invested a great deal of money and if they're not successful, things will not be happy in the Friendly Confines.

For ESPN, I'm Peter Gammons.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i am liking this dynasty.

keep it up!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I haven't forgotten this thread. I'm having problems getting the file its on to simulate. It just locks up. So, I'll need to see what I can do to make it work.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:14 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Unhappy MACK JOHNSON DIES

CUBS YOUNG CATCHER DIES IN CAR CRASH
VENTURA BEACH -- Chicago Cubs catcher Mack Johnson died today in a automobile crash along the Ventura Highway. Johnson, 21, was going 93 MPH when his car flipped four times and over the guard rail into the Pacific Ocean. The freak accident is being called tragic and fans are upset at the young star's untimely death.

"He was a good kid, with a lot of potential." said Chico Robinson who played with him on a semi-pro team before he made it big. Johnson is survived by his parents Kitty and "Rock" Robinson, the former pro wrestler.

Sorry, the file corrupted and for some reason wouldn't let me continue to simulate. I think it had something to do with the database I was using. I'll try this again though due to the demand for it.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:24 PM   #19
Patman
n00b

I had fun reading the dynasty while it was still working, I hope you start up a new one soon.
Dying peace in me and you
Locked in a place where no one goes.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:25 AM   #20
3ric
College Starter

Re: MACK JOHNSON DIES

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud
[b]CUBS YOUNG CATCHER DIES IN CAR CRASH
NOOOOOO !

Last edited by 3ric : 03-12-2003 at 01:26 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

RIP MACK JOHNSON
Old 04-13-2004, 04:45 AM   #22
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

aww crap.