Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #2201
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
So, anyone want to complain Spain is boring?

+1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #2202
whomario
Pro Starter

They were boring in the games prior. Of course they aren´t today, but that doesn´t change much for the other games, does it ?

Cassillas is having a nice game, propably had to save more shots and crosses than in the 5 games prior combined allready.

Italy isn´t having a bad game at all, just outplayed in those 2 situations and couldn´t make their own chances count. Balotelli needs to serioulsy quicking up his "thought process", every ball he gets today he needs a second or 2 to decide what to do with it
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #2203
whomario
Pro Starter

what kind of stupid substitution is that ??? Taking out an offensive midfielder for a more defensive one, down 0-2 in the final ??? Taking your last sub with 35 minutes to go as well ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2204
whomario
Pro Starter

and now Motta seems injured, that´s just unreal ...
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #2205
MIJB#19
Coordinator

wow, down to 10 men with 30 mins to go...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #2206
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Well, this would be the greatest comeback in history if Italy managed it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #2207
Grover
Pro Starter

Italy starting to go down way too quickly.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #2208
bob
College Starter

I keep seeing the whole "Spain is seeking to be the first team to win three major cup finals" thing - is the Confederations Cup not a major cup? It is an international competition.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #2209
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
They were boring in the games prior. Of course they aren´t today, but that doesn´t change much for the other games, does it ?
Agreed. Until now they didn't just field a 4-6-0 or 4-51, they also played like a 4-6-0 or 4-5-1, Today, they play their 4-6-0 more like a 4-3-3.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #2210
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I keep seeing the whole "Spain is seeking to be the first team to win three major cup finals" thing - is the Confederations Cup not a major cup? It is an international competition.

It is not a major cup. It's pretty much a friendly tournament.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #2211
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Huh? Ball possession is 50-50? Surely doesn't feel that way.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2212
Grover
Pro Starter

Nandooooooo

Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #2213
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Huh? Ball possession is 50-50? Surely doesn't feel that way.

especially since uefa.com also claims that spain has 44 "attacks" to Italy´s 21.

No way that 50/50 number is correct.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #2214
kingfc22
Head Coach

How long into the post game recap until the discussion turns to "Is Spain the the favorites for 2014?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #2215
Izulde
Head Coach

Man, Torres made that Italian goalie look silly twice.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #2216
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Man, Torres made that Italian defense look non-existent.
fixed.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #2217
Grover
Pro Starter

I think Torres is going to be a force in the Prem next year, especially with Mata and Hazard behind him.

Renaissance.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #2218
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

No.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #2219
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
How long into the post game recap until the discussion turns to "Is Spain the the favorites for 2014?

I think playing at home Brazil would be favorites, but I bet Spain comes close.

William Hill currently has Brazil as favorites: World Cup 2014 - Tournament Winner betting odds | World Cup 2014 International Football | William Hill
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #2220
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Well that was disappointing. Without going down to ten men I don't think it'd have ended up being 4-0 but I don't think Italy would have gotten to 2-2 either. Spain is simply the best international team around at the moment and it's not close.

Even though they lost today it's still nice to see Italy back as contenders after the 2010 debacle. Hopefully some of the younger guys continue to impress and just maybe Pirlo and Buffon can make one more big tournament.

Now we have a boring 6-7 weeks before the European leagues start up again with nothing but mostly bullshit transfer rumors to sustain us. FWIW I watch some MLS but with over half the league making the playoffs and playoff seeding not mattering for much at all, I don't watch too much of it before the playoffs. At least there's baseball and this is an Olympic year.

Last edited by Big Fo : 07-01-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #2221
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I love transfer rumors. Like trade rumors, it appeals to the nerd in me (hell , all of us amateur managers / GM's).
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #2222
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I love transfer rumors. Like trade rumors, it appeals to the nerd in me (hell , all of us amateur managers / GM's).

Same. I don't care how absurd they are. I love going to F365 every morning and reading the transfer gossip and blog.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #2223
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jeezus Christ Italy. At least fucking show up hmm? That was fucking pathetic, all around.

I mean sure...going down to 10 didn't help (nor did 2 in-game injuries, which of which forced a sub being burnt early), but of the 2 first half goals when the game was still in the balance, the first one really SHOULD have been better defended and not a goal.

And how about some fucking shots from inside the 18 / somebody following the shots in hmm? Jeezus.

Give them a pass for what happened once they were down to 10, but they really didn't look into the game at all except from like...minute 20-41 (when Spain scored their 2nd). Was just hoping for them to get to halftime down 1-0 and regroup...2-0 there was no way they were going to regroup and win.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #2224
whomario
Pro Starter

Di Natele also had 2 clear cut chances shortly after half time.

Italy had more chances and dangerous crosses than any other team had against spain, just had the bad luck that spain executed two amazing attacks and went into the seams with deadly precicion.

Up until going down to 10 men (and from then on, there was no chance in hell) it could have just as much have been Italy being up.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #2225
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Darn EURO 2012 is over, got to wait 4 days now for the Europa league qualifiers to start .....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #2226
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Spain looked impressive today. When they actually attack they look amazing. And DT, I think you may be the ONLY person who thought Italy didn't show up. They played some very good attacking football until they dropped to 10 men.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #2227
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wow, Spain looked impressive today. When they actually attack they look amazing. And DT, I think you may be the ONLY person who thought Italy didn't show up. They played some very good attacking football until they dropped to 10 men.

"". Im not sure what DT was expecting; Spain are that good. Italy, to their credit figured they would attack rather than sit back; Spain used that to tear them apart. This may be. The greatest side the world has ever seen against an Italian side that no had going this far- really, it's hard to complain. Now it's fascinating to see what happens next for Spain.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #2228
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I thought they were very good for the middle period of the first half - they had some nice attacking opportunities, unfortunately everything was from a distance mostly and nobody followed in the shots. That was maybe the first half of the game in total. To be honest, once they went down 2-0 though my attention was elsewhere (my mother called during halftime and we spent the first 15-20 mins of the 2nd half with the game on mute trying to help her with some car-buying information, true-value pricing, total cost of ownership, etc.)

By the time we turned our attention back to the game I thought they looked tired and were unable to keep any sort of possession.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #2229
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
may be. The greatest side the world has ever seen.

Oh god...seriously? Don't fall into this cheap-o announcing BS where everything happening now is "THE GREATEST EVER...OMG!!!" because they're too lazy to actually say anything insightful.

Are they good...yeah. Are they the greatest ever?? I submit that Pele's Brazil sides would absolutely tear them to pieces. For that matter, the 90's Brazillian teams (Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, etc.) would overwhelm them too.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #2230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"". Im not sure what DT was expecting; Spain are that good. Italy, to their credit figured they would attack rather than sit back; Spain used that to tear them apart. This may be. The greatest side the world has ever seen against an Italian side that no had going this far- really, it's hard to complain. Now it's fascinating to see what happens next for Spain.

They're not that good. The two sides drew 1-1 in their group game, and Italy looked a hell of a lot better than they did yesterday.Not sure why Prandelli felt that the wise thing to do was to come out with a more attacking gameplan yesterday - the gameplan from the first game worked great.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #2231
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
They're not that good. The two sides drew 1-1 in their group game, and Italy looked a hell of a lot better than they did yesterday.Not sure why Prandelli felt that the wise thing to do was to come out with a more attacking gameplan yesterday - the gameplan from the first game worked great.

Spain kind of played a completely different game plan - a far more attacking style they started to play in extra time vs. Portugal. It was like it took them a while to realize how they could be in attack mode without David Villa up front.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #2232
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh god...seriously? Don't fall into this cheap-o announcing BS where everything happening now is "THE GREATEST EVER...OMG!!!" because they're too lazy to actually say anything insightful.

Are they good...yeah. Are they the greatest ever?? I submit that Pele's Brazil sides would absolutely tear them to pieces. For that matter, the 90's Brazillian teams (Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, etc.) would overwhelm them too.

Come on DT, you can´t be serious here. First off the narative hasn´t been like that, at all in the past few weeks. Spain looked beatable and was proclaimed "not hungry enough" and still no team actually came all that close to beating them. Yes, teams hung with them but did anybody with soccer knowledge (and who wasn´t an anouncer trying to stir up excitement) ever get the feeling they´d loose ?

And seriously, a team from the 60s would tear Spain to pieces ? A team of semi professional athletes ? You put the Pele teams in a time machine to today and Spain beats them 10-0 without even breaking a sweat. Xaxi would pass for a great athlete in their time and a guy like Arbeloa would be considered a star on the ball, the difference due to training and equipment advances is just staggering resulting in even the slowest pace Spain would play (or even wha a team like Greece plays against lesser opponents) looking fast and fluid compared to what passed as attacking football in the 60s.

And just judging within the respective era, fact is that no team ever won 3 titles like that. Spain also hasn´t conceded a single goal in Knockout play in that time frame.
The combination of attacking prowess, technique and defensive stability is pretty unique in history.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #2233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spain kind of played a completely different game plan - a far more attacking style they started to play in extra time vs. Portugal. It was like it took them a while to realize how they could be in attack mode without David Villa up front.

Maybe that's part of it I suppose.

I thought Marchisio + DeRossi didn't track back enough and pick up the deep-runs from the Spanish MCs...I thought defensively some of the marking by Barzagli and Bonucci was suspect. Silva's first goal for instance...no way Spain should have got that cross off, and even if they did, (I think it was Barzagli if I remember clearly)'s marking was for shit.There wasn't enough ball-pressure in the final third of the field by the Italians defensively IMO. Different than the group-stage game.

And frankly I think they played better during the points in the game where they pressured Spain further up the field and caused turnovers, and were then able to build some possession.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-02-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #2234
whomario
Pro Starter

I must admit that i was surprised that Italy didn´t go back to the 3-5-2 (which i think they changed to 4-4-2 only due to Chiellini´s injury), anybody know of a reasoning for that ?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #2235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I must admit that i was surprised that Italy didn´t go back to the 3-5-2 (which i think they changed to 4-4-2 only due to Chiellini´s injury), anybody know of a reasoning for that ?

Stupidity?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #2236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe that's part of it I suppose.

I thought Marchisio + DeRossi didn't track back enough and pick up the deep-runs from the Spanish MCs...I thought defensively some of the marking by Barzagli and Bonucci was suspect. Silva's first goal for instance...no way Spain should have got that cross off, and even if they did, (I think it was Barzagli if I remember clearly)'s marking was for shit.There wasn't enough ball-pressure in the final third of the field by the Italians defensively IMO. Different than the group-stage game.

And frankly I think they played better during the points in the game where they pressured Spain further up the field and caused turnovers, and were then able to build some possession.

Spain, when they are on, can make anyone look foolish. Also remember that Italy is a different squad from the first match as well. They've gotten this far on the basis of an attacking mentality. That's how they dispatched England (well, that and penalty kicks, but they were definitely the better side that day) and Germany. So they went with what worked rather than go back to a defensive first mindset.

I do think that if Italy hadn't gone down to 10, the final score would have been 2-1 (though no worse than 2-0).
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #2237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spain, when they are on, can make anyone look foolish. Also remember that Italy is a different squad from the first match as well. They've gotten this far on the basis of an attacking mentality. That's how they dispatched England (well, that and penalty kicks, but they were definitely the better side that day) and Germany. So they went with what worked rather than go back to a defensive first mindset.

I do think that if Italy hadn't gone down to 10, the final score would have been 2-1 (though no worse than 2-0).

Fair enough.

I try not to look @ the final scoreline as indicative of anything...like I said...in my mind the game was essentially a 2-0 loss "at even strength." The record books won't show it that way, but I'm comfortable saying that, as I agree with you that it would have likely finished 2-0.

Still...overall...a good tournament for the Azzurri. Taking out England and Germany was very positive.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #2238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sharing the link since I figure the name will be of interest
Silverbacks hire Wynalda as interim coach *| ajc.com