Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2005, 03:11 AM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's the problem. I don't know of a defensive MF star for England. I'd have Lampard play back a little, but he's not for that role. However, you'd just have to hope that with all those MFs, some of them may decide to play a little defense .

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #52
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Alan Smith!!!

I kid, I kid.

One possibility, given England's depth at centreback and his versatility may be Ledley King, who I have heard is versatile enough to handle the defensive midfield role. The likelihood of him breaking through Ferdinand-Terry-Campbell* is not great, health and, ahem, eligibility-permitting.

*Personally, I think Terry has earned the starting nod over Campbell based on recent performances. But Eriksson is not fond of change and Campbell will probably get a long look again anyway.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've also heard King can be play the defensive midfielder role, but I've also heard that he's far better as a center back. Then, of course, you run into the question of who he's going to replace.

I guess you could do:

------------------Gerrard
Cole/Downing ---- Lampard ----- Beckham/SWP
--------------------King

But then the question of having either Owen or Rooney play is the difficult one (or take out one of the center MF).
Old 07-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #54
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I'd play Rooney over Owen almost any day of the week.

That or get another manager and go with 3 centrebacks.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #55
bhlloy
Coordinator

If you must have somebody to play that spot it's got to be Jermaine Jenas. Way better than converting a big lumbering CB like King to play a completely new position.

Arsenal are after him to replace Viera which says a lot. By the time of the next World Cup he could be in his prime.

Still a big believer in having your formation fit around your best players, not the other way around. For me you can't leave out Gerrard or Lampard. Maybe Rooney can play up front on his own, which will make space for a DM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jenas?! As a Newcastle fan, I'd say don't bother. He hasn't impressed with his defensive skills... hell, he hasn't really impressed with his offensive skills .

Quote:
For me you can't leave out Gerrard or Lampard. Maybe Rooney can play up front on his own, which will make space for a DM.

I think I'd rather have Owen than Gerrard, personally. I know Owen's been getting somewhat of a bad rap recently, but he's a fantastic player (but yes, I'd pick Rooney over him).

Quote:
Still a big believer in having your formation fit around your best players

Well then hope for a 3-5-2 .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-23-2005 at 06:39 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #57
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I think I'd rather have Owen than Gerrard, personally. I know Owen's been getting somewhat of a bad rap recently, but he's a fantastic player (but yes, I'd pick Rooney over him).
Eh, I'd rather have Gerrard in there with him and Lampard running wild (in a 4-5-1) than Owen (in a 4-4-2). I think Rooney, with his ability to control the ball and create, would be fantastic with Gerrard and Lampard and their ability and tendency to surge forward. The biggest question would be who would protect the back four since Beckham isn't the answer there.
Quote:
Well then hope for a 3-5-2 .
Hey! England has one good fullback. Even if he's a douchebag.

And, hopefully, we'll be cashing out on him for 10-15 before moving into Ashburton Grove.

Unless he apologizes. Really hard. And shows major, mondo, uber commitment.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the problem with the 'best player' argument is usually the best players in England are offensive minded, being how their league is played. You don't get the good hold-back defensive midfielders from that style too often.

Hell, better bring Bowyer back onto the team for that role . I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #59
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hell, better bring Bowyer back onto the team for that role . I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!
Only if Dyer returns to National Team level of play again.