Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

FM question

What were and where do I find those files to delete, the old game files .psk's I think, so it will speed up the loading and game?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...postcount=1349
Old 02-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

thank you oh hairy one

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Since this one is here, and the main thread isn't, I'll ask my questions here:

1. How long are players pissed off about what position they play? I signed a central defender, and played him at right defender in his debut. He told me he wants to play central defender, and I have played him there for 10 games ever since. Is he going to be upset forever or what?

2. This one's more like advice. I'm managing Weymouth, and we're taking Conference South by storm. Despite losing our first two games, we're sitting 5 points ahead of the 2nd place team, with a game in hand. We're on a complete roll, winning our last 8 league games, and I think 16 of our last 17. Anyway, we're in the semifinals of the FA Trophy. The legs are on Saturdays, with a conference math the Wednesday between. The first leg went well -- we were at home against Conference National team Canvey Island, and we won 2-1. Our Wednesday match was at home against Sutton United. How would you play this game? Rest all your starters to try to win the FA Trophy? Or keep all your starters in to keep your lead up on the rest of Conference South? A combination?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I usually go for the trophy. Seems like more of a prestige boost as well as a money influx, and in this case you sound like you're more than capable of making promotion or the playoffs for Conference South.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Since the last patch came out 6.0.2, I haven't had any problems with fatigue at all. I'm thinking you should be able to play your starters in both. I'm even able to play my starters in those rare Saturday/Monday games.

But if your guys have lower stamina, then I'd go for the trophy too.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I always ignore the trophy in favor of the league unless there's an easy game or a long break - I use the cup/etc as a way to integrate young players into the team, and give retreads a chance (like my 6 strikers - yeah, that's what happens with impulse buying ) to impress or show themselves in the proverbial shop window.

On the topic, can anyone point to the whole "Switch American English to British English" explanation ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd go the Trophy. I like me my hardware.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

FWIW, most of my starters had at least 95% condition, so I let them all play Wednesday. My two top strikers are recovering from injury -- they had resumed full training, but their condition was in the 80s at best, so I probably would have sat them out in any case -- it's just a matter of whether or not to play them Saturday now. Other than that, I sat out my guy with the worst condition, and put in a starter of mine who's always ineligible for cup play (is that in his contract or something?). The result: A 0-0 draw on Wednesday. So we've got a 6-point lead, with like 11 games to go. The FA Trophy semifinal second leg will probably be simmed tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I know you guys were on pins and needles, so here's an update. My squad wasn't perfectly healthy -- most guys were hanging around 95%, with one guy struggling around 90%. It would have been nice to have a lot of guys at 100% going on the road against a team a league above me, even with a 1 goal advantage, but oh well.

Turns out, Canvey Island didn't show up. Their players were horribly out of shape. Six players with condition in the 70s, two more in the 80s. They played a match on Wednesday as well, winning 2-1 against Hereford. This bumped them up to ELEVENTH in Conference National. They're not out of the playoff picture or anything, but you'd think they would have had more incentive to hold off in their league match, and win the Trophy.

Anyway, the game goes slowly. We're playing better (FM Scout told me later that we're a better squad than them by far anyway), but it's scoreless. I'm nervous because my 1 goal advantage doesn't amount to much -- if they win 1-0, they take the tiebreaker on away goals. But in the 30th minute, my new DM finds himself with an opening in the middle, 25 yards away, and puts it in. I'm not totally relaxed, but I'm playing defensive. We score again in the 55th minute, then one last time on an amazing goal by my striker (his 25th of the season), and win 3-0, 5-1 aggregate. We're off to Wembley!!

Possible bug: At the end of the game, it said "Weymouth advance to the !!!" Perhaps the word "final" is missing there?

Anyway, we play Stevenage, who's sitting at 2nd place in Conference National. FM Scout says they're a better squad than we are. I think my best hope is to see if they have to deal with the playoffs while I've already won promotion.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Possible bug: At the end of the game, it said "Weymouth advance to the !!!" Perhaps the word "final" is missing there?

The same thing happened to me with Luton Town in the Championship playoff semi-final, "Luton Town advance to the !!!". And then, after we'd won the final, the message read "Luton Town have won the Championship!!!" which is inexact. We'd just won the Championship playoffs but not the Championship per se... Not a deal breaker but not cute to read...

FM
Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Turns out, Canvey Island didn't show up. Their players were horribly out of shape. Six players with condition in the 70s, two more in the 80s. They played a match on Wednesday as well, winning 2-1 against Hereford. This bumped them up to ELEVENTH in Conference National. They're not out of the playoff picture or anything, but you'd think they would have had more incentive to hold off in their league match, and win the Trophy.
The Trophy isn't seen as a 'big competition' at all by teams and a promotion far outweighs it in the mind of real-life coaches, as such a team with a chance of promotion/playoffs will tend to concentrate their resources* on that over the Trophy in 99% of cases ...

(simply put from a hard business case the Trophy would give a reasonable sized one off payment to the club (ie. revenue from final) but no real "kudo's" (ie. limited merchandising increase) whereas a promotion will give a television revenue increase (in most cases), attendance increase week on week and more "kudo's" in the publics eyes ..)

*Yes in case you weren't aware coaches do prioritise games and rest players (both in FM and irl) for particular matches as and when they deem it required, if you 'watch' the bigger teams who are in Europe you'll notice them rotating players if they have heavy schedules to ensure they're present and fully fit for the critical matches ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-17-2006 at 04:41 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

*Yes in case you weren't aware coaches do prioritise games and rest players (both in FM and irl) for particular matches as and when they deem it required, if you 'watch' the bigger teams who are in Europe you'll notice them rotating players if they have heavy schedules to ensure they're present and fully fit for the critical matches ...

and that is very true. They made a big deal out of Thierry Henry being part of the semi-final Carling Cup match that Arsenal lost a few weeks ago and in my game in 2008, Arsenal rested him and many other regular starters when they played us in the FA Cup. Playing with Luton Town, we trounced them 2-0 in the 4th round of the FA Cup

FM
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, dagnabit, playing my Weymouth squad is always a critical match! But hey, maybe the 3-0 thrashing I gave them in their backyard will learn them. I'm still surprised, though. This late into the season, in the bottom half of the league, you'd think they'd try to win the trophy.

Here's another question -- how important would y'all say experience is? I've been building my roster for next season. I've got a ton of talent coming in on July 1st -- the problem is that there's a lot of 19 year olds, and one 22 year old. Will I be severely in need of an experienced guy to be my captain? I've been letting the game choose the captain for me, and it's been someone in their 30s -- however, that guy, and other guys in their late 20s, won't be in the starting lineup next year. Is that going to hurt me?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Well, dagnabit, playing my Weymouth squad is always a critical match! But hey, maybe the 3-0 thrashing I gave them in their backyard will learn them. I'm still surprised, though. This late into the season, in the bottom half of the league, you'd think they'd try to win the trophy.

Here's another question -- how important would y'all say experience is? I've been building my roster for next season. I've got a ton of talent coming in on July 1st -- the problem is that there's a lot of 19 year olds, and one 22 year old. Will I be severely in need of an experienced guy to be my captain? I've been letting the game choose the captain for me, and it's been someone in their 30s -- however, that guy, and other guys in their late 20s, won't be in the starting lineup next year. Is that going to hurt me?
Yeah, it's been advised many times to not choose a young captain even if his influence and decisions and determination??? (personal preference) are high. I don't have an age cutoff however. I think the youngest captain I had with my current team was 24. I think you'd be safe with that. Isn't Gerrard 24?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

I do this in my fm2005 game.

Though for me, it's a "Do I play the HUGE stars or the BIG stars?" question. it's nice having a ton of money for transfers (253m pounds) so i have a good mixture of young and experienced players currently and some very promising young players coming along.

Now, if I could just keep terpkristin away from my players, i'd be better off.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote