Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which course of action should I take?
Have FUN!!! See if you can develop Belajac into something by playing him! 34 77.27%
Go and get a half-decent FA QB now. You won't win this year, but at least you can free up some cap room next year and build around him. 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

So my franchise QB tears his ACL...

...and he requires surgery. I've got big bucks tied up in him for the next four seasons. At the time of the injury (game 2 last season), I had a mentor, and 2 rookie FA QB's who I was trying to develop into adequate backups. Being so early in the season, I started the mentor for a while at first. He did quite well at first, but then we hit a stretch where we lost four out of five games he started, and his QB rating for the year dipped to 71.2 something. I figured, "What the heck? let's give one of the rooks some playing time!" I start with the one who knows the most formations. He starts out with an ok game, then proceeds to do very well the rest of the way, posting a 91.4 QB rating in seven starts.

Fast forward now to FA 2025. Franchise QB has dropped from 75/75 to 38/38, and still has a few weeks left before he's fully recovered. Cap money is tight due to my over-sentimental nature in SP to keep my stars around too long. I DO, however, have enough cap money to pursue a 52/52 QB in his 7th year with an 80.8 career passer rating. Doing so, however, would eat up virtually all of my cap room this year, and I'd leave myself with holes at a few other positions. There are two QB's in the draft who I could probably trade up to get, but neither one is the type of QB I'd normally draft, so a BIG part of me would prefer not to make that kind of investment/commitment. I feel like I'm left with two viable options: sign the 52/52 FA and hope to fill the other holes with rookies/cheap players, or go with the 2nd-year man with a mentor, and use former franchise QB as the backup when he gets healthy. Here's my youngster:

Thoughts? Heading to the office in a couple of minutes, so I've got until this evening to make a decision...

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

More info: I'm inclined to go with the youngster for a season or two for the "fun factor." Y'all know how I love to watch players develop.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm going to assume that you have a big time running game with a great OLine, knowing your nature. With that said, I think you can probably get by with this guy at QB, at least for one year, and spend the rest of the money on other needs. 52/52 for a QB is not bad, but its not a difference maker.

Go with the youngster.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty much what General Mike said. If this was a 72/72 FA you were talking about I might answer different, but a 52/52 doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade over the rookie to be worth leaving "holes at a few other positions" over.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I'm going to assume that you have a big time running game with a great OLine, knowing your nature.
I have a strong running game and a solid, not great, o-line. Last year, my two best offensive linemen, and two key defensive players missed a bunch of games, too, which helps account for the rook going 2-5 with those solid numbers.

To respond to JiMGA. Yes, there's one big-time QB available in free agency, but I'm not willing to completely tear the team apart like I'd have to do to sign him. Even without my star QB in there after midway through game 2, I think we were 5-1 before the injuries started to mount, and we finished 8-8.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Emiliano
College Prospect

Go with Belajac, at least for another season, and see how he turns out. I wouldn't give big money to a FA either, if I had to tear the team apart.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Give Belajac a shot.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

We want Belajac! We want Belajac!

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

Go with the youngster.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

What everybody else said. Go with the kid if for no other reason than to satisfy curiosity. And in the worst-case scenario you get yourself a high 1st rounder the following year!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Oooh - that was my 3000th post. I'm now a Pro Prospect - Ben, sign me to be Belajac's backup!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Play the rook and see if he breaks out...
Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Let the kid play! Let the kid play! Let the kid play!

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-16-2006 at 09:01 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Never EVER go with a QB from El Paso. The city has never produced a quality QB and never will...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #15
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Personally, I can't stand midget QB's. Flutie was a fluke. Seneca Wallace is probably one too, who might be better off moving to WR and working in some gadget plays (hint... look at Randel-El)

The simple fact is that in the NFL a 5'10" or 5'11" QB has to be able to see the field through blockers that are mostly around 6'6". I can't see running an offense where my TE is 6'7" My RB is 6'2" WR's are 6'4" and I have Mickey Rooney in the backfield throwing them passes.

The only exception I would make is if the guy is a PHENOMINAL athlete, ala Ron Mexico. If Vick was a 4.9 40 guy there is no way he'd be in the league.

I know it makes no difference in the game, but I try to make my team look somewhat like a real NFL roster.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #16
hukarez
College Starter

I had a situation like this not too long ago - though, I started my younger QB when I had a 'Mentor' QB on my roster as a filler of sorts.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I say be daring, and play with two QBs instead of three. You'll have to really keep an eye out for the TIE fighter, if you're down a QB, but think of how having that extra man on the line will help against the 16-man blitz!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #18
WebEwbank
High School JV

Here is the key: Belajac is really Belicheck phonetically. Wait for the sucker to retire and sign him to a head coaching contract.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #19
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Go with Belajac. It'd probably be good to give him the nickname 'abMagic' as well.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #20
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

A guy who has a 91.4 QB rating during his rookie season deserves the starting job the next year. Keep Belajac.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #21
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I would replace this guy as soon as possible, but that's just me. I despise quarterbacks who can't avoid sacks and fumble a lot, especially if they are interception prone as well. I see them as complete dead ends, even if they do have some short term success.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't like his interception, avoid fumbles, and 3rd down ratings, particularly in a running offense. I would certainly keep him in the mix and see how he turns out after another training camp, but I would probably try to find another veteran stopgap that fits into your teams' offense better.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #23
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

In real life, this wouldn't be a question. A rookie getting a 90+ rating over half a season? The job's his.

Just saying.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Ben E Lou

Really surprised to see the overwhelming support for the rook. As I said, I was leaning toward that course of action to begin with. Back at home now, and it is time to sign some FA's.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #25
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I hate having franchise QB's that tie up all of my cash anyways. I've been playing a SP dynasty as the Browns recently, and I drafted a QB named Bryant Stephens with a top-10 pick that had franchise-type potential. After three years, he had developed quite nicely, but his numbers were always pedestrian, and he seemed to lack the killer instict to win close games. I had a solid o-line, a good RB, and had two pro-bowl wideouts (one drafted, one vet). Still, the team couldn't do better than 8-8. In his third season, I drafted a QB name Curtis Makofske out of Texas with a 4th or 5th round pick. His value was around 15/60 or so. After two more years of mediocrity, I traded Stephens to the Patriots for a 1st rounder and started Makofske, who was at around 35/55 at this point. This eventually allowed me to sink the money from Stephens into better players at many other positions, and we made the playoffs a few times. Makofske even led us to the Super Bowl once, losing to the Rams. Makofske finished his career with around a 88 rating.

My advice is to just say no to big $$$ QB's
Old 02-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
My advice is to just say no to big $$$ QB's
I wouldn't go that far. Derek Kirk won five championships for me, and he was definitely a big-dollar QB.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #27
Celeval
Pro Starter

I saw this thread, started by SkyDog, before I read any detail of the IHOF results from this week.

You can imagine the mixture of emotions felt at that point.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #28
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
I saw this thread, started by SkyDog, before I read any detail of the IHOF results from this week.

You can imagine the mixture of emotions felt at that point.
If Shaun "The Solution" Duncan had been the one hurt, this thread would have had a much less congenial title...
Old 02-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
If Shaun "The Solution" King had been the one hurt, this thread would have had a much less congenial title...

Fixed it to reflect his two (2) fumbles today.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

Well, that didn't really work. Belajac led us to a 7-9 record, and had a 63.8 passer rating. While we were in a particularly bad stretch, I let my former stud start a game, and he sucked (48.9 QB rating). What's worse is that my best defensive back suffered the dreaded degenerative hip condition late in 2025 (he enters 2026 Out for 73 weeks), and my best RB is getting old.

Time to rebuild. I STILL love this game.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:26 AM   #31
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I feel your pain. I'm going into my current season with my 10 year veteran star quarterback on the sideline until at least midseason with reconstructive knee surgery. He also is taking up 40 million in cap space and I'm only 5 million below the cap entering free agency.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #32
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
I feel your pain. I'm going into my current season with my 10 year veteran star quarterback on the sideline until at least midseason with reconstructive knee surgery. He also is taking up 40 million in cap space and I'm only 5 million below the cap entering free agency.
I started free agency this year $53M *over* the $204.6M cap.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #33
Dutch
"Dutch"

I always find that it gets harder to keep a team together after 40 or 50 seasons. But it may just be because it's harder for me to visualize what a decent contract is or how to structure one.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

I WARNED you...

Old 02-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I always find that it gets harder to keep a team together after 40 or 50 seasons. But it may just be because it's harder for me to visualize what a decent contract is or how to structure one.
You got it. I'm in the year like 2127 in my solo career and i have no idea what market value is anymore.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-18-2006 at 11:40 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Never EVER go with a QB from El Paso. The city has never produced a quality QB and never will...

Ed Stansbury!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #37
JeeberD
General Manager

Sigh...I loved watching Ed play.