Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #4151
PilotMan
Head Coach

I first read that as 'auto mechanic moonlighting as a fire fighter" and I was like, "yeah, I guess that dude probably doesn't have time to train, but it's a pretty odd reference. On the other hand, firefighters can be some pretty ripped, tough dudes, so maybe he's got some innate advantages?"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #4152
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I first read that as 'auto mechanic moonlighting as a fire fighter" and I was like, "yeah, I guess that dude probably doesn't have time to train, but it's a pretty odd reference. On the other hand, firefighters can be some pretty ripped, tough dudes, so maybe he's got some innate advantages?"

After what I saw tonight, I'm pretty sure most fire-fighters could kick Jake Hager's ass.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:32 AM   #4153
molson
General Manager

Mike Tyson looked pretty good tonight. It went to a phony baloney draw per weird commission rules for an "exhibition," but, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a payday and fights again, if he needs the money.

Nate Robinson did not do as well and was easily handled by Jake Paul.

Jake Paul vs. Nate Robinson FULL FIGHT - YouTube

Last edited by molson : 11-29-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #4154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

apparently Paul actually has some boxing experience or training from what I saw.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #4155
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
apparently Paul actually has some boxing experience or training from what I saw.

He was a good athlete in school and has been training for over 2 years now, so there is that, but it won't ever translate to more than these 'celebrity' matchups and eventually I think someone will get hurt in one of these. There is just too much of a disparity in ability between someone who has been in the ring and someone who at 36 decides to try it out. It reminded me of the Danny Bonaduce / Barry Williams "fight"

You look at the fighter that Badou Jack fought (McKernan) and how easily he handled him. McKernan would absolutely destroy Paul and it is a travesty that a world class fighter like Badou fights an 8 rounder underneath Paul on the card. But, I get it, it was more a night of entertainment and overall it was fun.

Tyson and Jones showed glimpses of their youth and gave a good effort. I was particularly impressed with Tyson's conditioning and hand speed. I compare my hand speed now when I work out on the bags to when I boxed through my teens and an 18 year old me could outland a 58 year old me 6-7 punches to 3, but Tyson in short bursts retained quite a bit of his hand speed and at times looked impressive. Obviously not sustainable against a current top HW, but the fight overall exceeded my expectations and Snoop was gold on the commentary team.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #4156
AlexB
Pro Starter

And that wasn’t the worst matchup this weekend...

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #4157
BYU 14
Coordinator

Oh Jesus, who sanctioned that debacle?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #4158
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That reminds me of the Fight Circus shows that also had an event this week featuring fights like "1 trained fighter vs. 3 untrained guys", "leg wrestling" and "only spinning shit", and prizes like: a wooden axe. A bong. A painting of Bill Clinton in a dress.

Fight Circus 2 videos: 3 vs 1 bout steals the (freak)show, Bob Sapp attacks promoter - Bloody Elbow
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-29-2020 at 11:27 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #4159
molson
General Manager

Russia has taken over Japan's traditional role as world capital of freak show combat sports fights.

I admit I can't help but watch them when I come across them.

Last edited by molson : 11-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #4160
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Russia has taken over Japan's traditional role as world capital of freak show combat sports fights.

I admit I can't help but watch them when I come across them.

russia was the one who had team MMA too (as in multi man vs multi man) fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaNCD54QS9Y

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-29-2020 at 12:57 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #4161
Atocep
Coordinator

Tyson looked fantastic for 54 and Jones more or less admitted in the post fight that he took a beating. It was great to see both in the ring again and having fun with it though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #4162
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
russia was the one who had team MMA too (as in multi man vs multi man) fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaNCD54QS9Y

And chess boxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTcsWmkYg68
Old 11-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #4163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

And slapping contests. In a jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5DhR1G6BJI
Old 11-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #4164
BYU 14
Coordinator

Tyson just revealed he smoked weed before the the Jones exhibition, which makes his performance even more impressive if you have ever partaken and then tried to do anything that involves reaction/athletic movement
Old 12-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #4165
molson
General Manager

Logan Paul is going to fight Floyd Mayweather in February. It is a "super exhibition", which I think means that both will get paid a lot without having to try very hard.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #4166
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Logan Paul is going to fight Floyd Mayweather in February. It is a "super exhibition", which I think means that both will get paid a lot without having to try very hard.

Seriously this is so stupid, I wish people would stop paying for this nonsense, either you're in and you are a boxer, or your not and you can put up your boxing "super exhibitions" with Mayweather, Butterbean or Bob the dancing Bear on your Youtube channel. Boxing doesn't need to be made a mockery of again when it almost seems like the sport is trying to get it's shit together, with top level free fights and top guys facing each other.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #4167
BYU 14
Coordinator

Not something I think anyone would sanction or promote, but I would seriously spend money to watch Nunes dust him up.

Amanda Nunes wants to fight Jake Paul in a boxing match
Old 12-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #4168
PilotMan
Head Coach

Greg Hardy getting pounded out this year is a very good thing.

Like Steam?

Old 01-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #4169
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Anybody gonna watch this McGregor card tonight? I forgot about it entirely until yesterday. I'mma track down a stream somewhere.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #4170
PilotMan
Head Coach

Certainly not paying for it.

Like Steam?

Old 01-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #4171
BYU 14
Coordinator

Watching it, glad I have the Superbox, not a payment worthy card overall
Old 01-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #4172
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm not sure that there are really any cards anymore that are worth paying for. When you go back 10-12 years ago, and compare the prices, it's not really even close. Maybe one card per year, maybe two.

Like Steam?

Old 01-23-2021, 11:55 PM   #4173
bhlloy
Coordinator

Personally I’m glad I paid for it - better value than many of the “big” cards over the years and what a seismic ending.

With that being said, definitely can’t disagree that nothing comes close to some of the cards that were being put together back in the day and the value for money involved.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:20 AM   #4174
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The talent pool is just too diluted now, and with events running seemingly weekly sometime and like 30 million regional TUFs for awhile & web-only shit it's just impossible to keep up.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:55 AM   #4175
molson
General Manager

Every McGregor fight is entertaining, I hope he sticks around, the UFC has a serious star problem. And he looked great tonight, until the end.

Poirier has been excellent for 5 years, but, I don't know if he can carry a big UFC event. I don't know what you can do with him now, he's smashed everyone except Khabib, who he can't beat. McGregor/Poirier 3 probably makes the most sense, and then you try to talk Khabib into fighting the winner of that I guess.

I understand and have accepted why the UFC needs to run shows so often as opposed to the 5 times a year they used to do. It's just a different world. And there's almost always entertaining stuff on all of those shows. But that big time MMA feel, there's not a lot of guys who can bring that anymore. McGregor, Khabib, a handful of others based on the opponent. It is harder to keep up with, and I've lapsed a bit over the last year, but I got randomly into the last 2 UFC shows or so and they were both very entertaining. I do miss that big championship fight feel though. To me, team sports just can't compare to the epic 1-on-1 confrontation you can get when the stars align in MMA.

Last edited by molson : 01-24-2021 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #4176
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Watched it at a neighbor's.

The most amusing part was who was over there with us - the bass player from Steel Panther (basically a modern 80's glam rock band), who was a riot.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #4177
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

The most amusing part was who was over there with us - the bass player from Steel Panther (basically a modern 80's glam rock band), who was a riot.

Wait a minute, you watched UFC with Lexxi Foxx, and casually mention it? LOL, how does your neighbor know him?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #4178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

LEXXI !!!!
(okay, probably Travis in that setting, but still)

Okay, NOW I'm fucking jealous of something that an FOFC'er did.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #4179
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Wait a minute, you watched UFC with Lexxi Foxx, and casually mention it? LOL, how does your neighbor know him?

His mom (Travis's mom, that is) is the sales manager for one of the developers in our neighborhood. My neighbor has known her for a long time, and thus, they've hung out together on many occasions - he lives right around here. Happened to be able to show up last night, so yeah.

And I got to hear stories about how Larry King thought he was gay, and wanted to wear his wig during an interview with him and the band. Along with how he used to live next door to Burt Young (Paulie from Rocky) when he was in LA. Lexxi does a PERFECT Paulie impression.

edit: And yes, he introduced himself as Travis.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-24-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #4180
PilotMan
Head Coach

So as much crap as I've said about Scott Coker, he finally looks like he's learned from his failure at Strikeforce. I've been a Bellator fan since they started and Bjorn Rebney was running things with their tournaments. Their fights have generally been enjoyable, even if their prospects have had mostly poor success at the UFC level (Volkov who just KOed Overeem washed out in Bellator). That doesn't really matter. I've always been fond of the second level product and the stars that are made there.

Their continued success at bringing in guys who have left UFC, coupled with the personalities they've developed on their own has actually improved the product. They've got a new deal with Showtime and today they announced an official and transparent ranking system. It's a nice departure from the struggles and drama of the UFC. UFC still has a superior product, but their cards get weaker and weaker, they can't seem to develop their fighters because it's simply too big. They need a new developmental like WEC again. They could be doing that with Legacy, but they aren't.

Like Steam?

Old 02-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #4181
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
So as much crap as I've said about Scott Coker, he finally looks like he's learned from his failure at Strikeforce. I've been a Bellator fan since they started and Bjorn Rebney was running things with their tournaments. Their fights have generally been enjoyable, even if their prospects have had mostly poor success at the UFC level (Volkov who just KOed Overeem washed out in Bellator). That doesn't really matter. I've always been fond of the second level product and the stars that are made there.

Their continued success at bringing in guys who have left UFC, coupled with the personalities they've developed on their own has actually improved the product. They've got a new deal with Showtime and today they announced an official and transparent ranking system. It's a nice departure from the struggles and drama of the UFC. UFC still has a superior product, but their cards get weaker and weaker, they can't seem to develop their fighters because it's simply too big. They need a new developmental like WEC again. They could be doing that with Legacy, but they aren't.

I often find Bellator more enjoyable now than the oversaturated UFC product, despite the difference in skill level. Seems Coker cares more about his fighters too. Half the time it seems Dana White thinks it is all about him.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #4182
molson
General Manager

I was worried about Bellator for a second, they have been dark for months with no TV deal and still only have 6 fights scheduled total in the future across a few different planned shows. But I guess with the Showtime deal they will carry on.

Though being exclusive to Showtime is going to limit new eyeballs a lot. It costs twice as much as ESPN+. Though I guess they will be easier to follow now that they're not across Paramount, and PPV, and CBS Sports, and their Youtube channel, and DAZN or whatever.

Last edited by molson : 02-18-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #4183
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Tonight's card is actually pretty loaded.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #4184
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, this is a hell of a card. Was leaning towards not buying it until seeing just how deep it was.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #4185
PilotMan
Head Coach

I broke down and bought the card too. I've been watching for 4 hours already. There hasn't been a card this deep in at least 3-4 years. It's been at least that long since I bought a PPV.

Like Steam?

Old 03-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #4186
molson
General Manager

I'm in Oregon and managed to place a small parlay via the new state online betting app for shits and giggles. Cruz/Nunes/Adesanya/women's basketball teams in Russia and Japan that are bigger favorites than Nunes tonight. About a 3-1 payoff, with Cruz the biggest wild card by far, and that one's in the bank. If I win, I may let it all ride tomorrow on something stupid.

Last edited by molson : 03-06-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #4187
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 03-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #4188
BYU 14
Coordinator

Man what a bad ending to a great fight. Interesting hearing the aftermath that Yan's corner apparently directed that kick, but Yan should have been aware he was still grounded and the referee was very clear Sterling was down.

Bad decision by Yan and even worse by his corner, especially with him taking control of the fight like he was..
Old 03-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #4189
molson
General Manager

Well that's a first, for the UFC at least

Somewhere in my head I was still expecting Jack Tunney to come out and explain that the belt can't change hands on a DQ.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #4190
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Well that's a first, for the UFC at least

Somewhere in my head I was still expecting Jack Tunney to come out and explain that the belt can't change hands on a DQ.

Rogan sounded like he was going for that angle, but at least that should secure your parley.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:20 PM   #4191
bhlloy
Coordinator

Figures that a great looking card has been such a dud so far. Hopefully these 2 fights can redeem it. This is an interesting fight for Nunes and I have no idea what to expect in the main event.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #4192
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This card just fell apart.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #4193
bhlloy
Coordinator

Narrator - this was not an interesting fight for Amanda Nunes.

Only the main event can save us now
Old 03-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #4194
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's an interesting fight card mostly because of the main event, but in terms of fighters on this card, it was thick. I don't regret it. Hell, they had poor Dominick Cruz headlining the prelim card. He really should have been on the main.

Nunes was only ever going to win. Would have liked a bit more interesting fight for her, but she's beaten everyone. There's nobody for her to fight, that's not her fault.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2021, 12:26 AM   #4195
bhlloy
Coordinator

Big meh. I’d love to see this be the impetuous for the UFC going away from these gimmick fights.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:32 AM   #4196
BYU 14
Coordinator

49-45 maybe a bit off, but great closing two rounds by Blachowicz. I think the threat of that power kept Adesanya a bit more conservative than he usually is.

Props to him for moving up, cause it sucks carrying someone 20-25 pounds heavier than you on the ground in half guard or under side control.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #4197
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, it wasn't an exciting fight really, but it was a very good technical fight. I had no problem with it at all. Blachowicz raised his stock substantially (49-45 was clearly off), but he won, and even with the L, Adesanya doesn't lose much luster, if he lost any at all.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #4198
molson
General Manager

Well I'm glad I blew my parlay with a badass elite polish MMA fighter coming through, and not by any failures of the women's basketball teams in Russia and Japan, who both delivered.

Until that last round, I thought Adesanya overlooked Blachowicz and didn't take him seriously, but then it was apparent that Blachowicz was just too big and skilled.

One of my pet peeves in MMA how it's a "problem" when there's a dominant MMA champion who clears out the division. There's like 15 divisions now between the men and the women in the UFC, it's OK if there's a few dominant champions who just come out and kick someone's ass a few times a year. I don't see any problem with Amanda Nunes destroying challengers indefinitely. It's great TV. Probably the most culturally-relevant combat sports run of all time is Mike Tyson dispatching lesser fighters in short order. Amada Nunes is the greatest of all time and I just love watching her prove that over and over again. Megan Anderson is a good fighter and she was just terrified in there.

Last edited by molson : 03-07-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #4199
molson
General Manager

I still hate that if you get warned that your technique is risking an eye poke, then you poke a guy in the eye anyway, literally make his eyeball bleed, the fight is over, and somehow that's a no-contest.

I don't know what it would ever take for an eye poke to be deemed "intentional", or why that should even matter. It'd have to be a Roddy Piper-like heel setup where they comically telegraph it, I guess.

You basically get two free pokes per round without penalty. In theory it's a rule that you can't poke people in the eye, but it just doesn't matter if you're negligent, reckless, or unskilled enough to break that rule. Pisses me off every time.

And Leon Edwards just complained afterwards that the fight was "taken away from him" and he wants a title shot.

Last edited by molson : 03-14-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #4200
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well the good news is that I don't think that Dana gives him one, but he has done dumber things before. I think if the fight had been in the 3rd round, because it was unintentional, and he hadn't yet been penalized they would have gone to the scorecards. The one that got me was the illegal knee, that wasn't anywhere near as blatant as the other night but still, they're making the fighter decide if he wants to continue. That one is gonna come to a head at some point.

Like Steam?