Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #51
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Oh, and I'm glad that your meal was enjoyable. Which sauce did you like the best?

The new alfredo was pretty good...forgetting the exact name, smoke mozzarella?

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 AM   #52
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
How long is lettuce on your plate for? Half an hour, tops? It's not like the only choices are out of the freezer or a hotplate -- just a basic, normal plate will do nicely. I can't imagine that will make the lettuce "warm" and "wilty" -- millions of people do it that way at home, and I haven't seen any evidence of the lettuce revolution yet. Do you honestly notice any difference when you eat salad at home, because of the plate?

You're looking at this from the wrong angle. You're assuming that they put the plate in the freezer so that you can have an ice-cold plate. But restaurants are essentially assembly lines, and can't leave things to chance, so the reason why they put the plates in the freezer is so that no one grabs a plate straight from the dishwasher (i.e. hot) to serve salad on.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
You're looking at this from the wrong angle. You're assuming that they put the plate in the freezer so that you can have an ice-cold plate. But restaurants are essentially assembly lines, and can't leave things to chance, so the reason why they put the plates in the freezer is so that no one grabs a plate straight from the dishwasher (i.e. hot) to serve salad on.

What he said. Plus, I personally like the cold plate. I'd consider doing it at home if I ate salad at home very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

I'm calling bullshit. For one, Jeeber already said they put the plate in the freezer so you can have an ice-cold plate. Two, I haven't been to the OG in awhile, but I don't recall ever getting any other food on a steaming-hot-out-of-the-dishwasher plate. That leads one to believe there is some sort of middle ground where these plates go to settle to room temperature.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #55
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm calling bullshit. For one, Jeeber already said they put the plate in the freezer so you can have an ice-cold plate. Two, I haven't been to the OG in awhile, but I don't recall ever getting any other food on a steaming-hot-out-of-the-dishwasher plate. That leads one to believe there is some sort of middle ground where these plates go to settle to room temperature.

I should clarify. I'm not saying that OG does this, for this reason. I can't say that as I've never worked for OG. However, I do know other restaurants do things like this, for specifically this reason.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #56
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I'm in the Buccaneer group here. I think OG is utterly disgusting. It's not a (completely) snobbery thing, I like Carabas just fine. I disliked OG long before I became a city non-chain food snob.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #57
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I know for a fact thats how the restaurant was that I worked at. The dish area was right next to the cooks, and when the dishes came out of the dishwasher they stacked them on a table in between the dishwasher and the cooks. There were many a times, a night, that the second a plate got put on the top of the stack it was grabbed right away.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #58
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm just ticked that a few years ago they had the Ravioli Olivetta dish for a few months, and never ever brought it back. That remains my favorite Olive Garden dish, and I miss it terribly.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #59
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'm just ticked that a few years ago they had the Ravioli Olivetta dish for a few months, and never ever brought it back. That remains my favorite Olive Garden dish, and I miss it terribly.

Must have been a new dish they were testing in your market...as long as I've been at OG I've never even heard of it. What was it, exactly?

Hey, Pass, yesterday I had two, yes TWO separate guests talk about how awesome the cold plates are, and one of them even said that she needs to start refrigerating her plates at home. So there!

And in regards to why the plates are put in the freezer...it's so that we can serve guests cold plates with their salad. The dishwashers have the huge racks that they stack the salad plates in after they wash them, and then they lug them to the walk-in freezer to cool them down really fast. They're brought up and put into the alley plate chiller when that chiller gets low. At peak volume we sometimes don't get plates chilled fast enough, and we sometimes have to serve non-chilled plates. And I've had more complaints about getting a warm plate than about the chilled plates, believe me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #60
molson
General Manager

I've done a lot of dining and moderately-priced chain restaraunts over the years, and I've never seen one thing that compelled me to actually complain. It's weird to me that complaining is such a natural reaction for some people, where for me, it would be like pulling teeth. I've probably had cold food, slow waitresses, watered down drinks, but I always just figured the small chance of stuff like that comes with the territory.

I also think the fact that I never show an attitude means that I get a good attitude from staff 99.5% of the time. Though I wish a restaraunt would send the occasional comp towards the happy, pleasant customer (rather than the guy who obviously isn't coming back in the original post). I would definitely remember it.

Last edited by molson : 09-26-2007 at 05:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Must have been a new dish they were testing in your market...as long as I've been at OG I've never even heard of it. What was it, exactly?

Hey, Pass, yesterday I had two, yes TWO separate guests talk about how awesome the cold plates are, and one of them even said that she needs to start refrigerating her plates at home. So there!

And in regards to why the plates are put in the freezer...it's so that we can serve guests cold plates with their salad. The dishwashers have the huge racks that they stack the salad plates in after they wash them, and then they lug them to the walk-in freezer to cool them down really fast. They're brought up and put into the alley plate chiller when that chiller gets low. At peak volume we sometimes don't get plates chilled fast enough, and we sometimes have to serve non-chilled plates. And I've had more complaints about getting a warm plate than about the chilled plates, believe me...

Eh, maybe it's just because I've gotten too used to getting dishes that come right out of the dishwasher at home.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #62
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Though I wish a restaraunt would send the occasionaly comp towards the happy, pleasant customer (rather than the guy who obviously isn't coming back in the original post). I would definitely remember it.

We recently got a new GM and she's told us that if we've really liked a table and want to buy them a dessert or something, to let her know and she would do it for us. I haven't given it a try yet, so I don't know if it's something that she'll stand behind, it's a nice idea and hopefully one that takes off.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #63
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
We recently got a new GM and she's told us that if we've really liked a table and want to buy them a dessert or something, to let her know and she would do it for us. I haven't given it a try yet, so I don't know if it's something that she'll stand behind, it's a nice idea and hopefully one that takes off.
I've had managers (particularly at restaurants we frequent) who will volunteer dessert/appetizer when the kitchen is slow without us complaining one bit..

It's rare, but it has happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #64
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I was eating at Johnny Carino's, an Italian chain that's been booming around here lately, and which I like a lot, they really have great food. I thought it was funny to see one of their mottos on a sign was "Not Garden variety Italian." Heh, no subtlety there.

Last edited by Peregrine : 09-26-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #65
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
The dishwashers have the huge racks

I need to apply at OG.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #66
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I need to apply at OG.

Hmmmm...huge racks...hot, soapy water...and then shoved into an ice cold freezer...I think you are on to something Schmidty
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Shut the fuck up, and let us peasants eat our Tour of Italys in peace.

Just got home from OG and a Tour of Italy with a second lasagna subbed for the alfredo. Somewhere between that & the lemon cream cake for dessert I think I may have injured myself.

But whatta way to go.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #68
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
If someone isn't happy with something, I'll be more than happy to let the manager know and it'll get taken off, or remade, or both. But don't get huffy and start demanding the entire meal for free, and don't eat almost the whole thing and then say you didn't like it...
I agree with this.

Sounds like a bad manager to me. You wouldn't or shouldn't Comp all their meals if everyone else completely ate and enjoyed their meals. Maybe, comp the bad meal and offer free desserts all around, but you wouldn't pick up their entire check.

Also, did they ever let someone know about the bad meal before the check came? Was Olive Garden ever given a chance to fix the problem?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #69
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just got home from OG and a Tour of Italy with a second lasagna subbed for the alfredo. Somewhere between that & the lemon cream cake for dessert I think I may have injured myself.

But whatta way to go.

How'd you stay away from the Fonduta?

Who the hell in Marketing thought that Fonduta was a good way to go?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
How'd you stay away from the Fonduta?

Who the hell in Marketing thought that Fonduta was a good way to go?

Totally escaped me, never even heard of fonduta until you mentioned it (had to Google it) & I had zero recall of it being mentioned on the menu until I went & looked at their website just now & saw a picture that looked familiar. That's probably a case of pretty much knowing what I wanted for dinner & spending significant time staring at the dessert menu
Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #71
SportsDino
College Prospect

I must be similar to molson, I hate to be a complainer, but usually if the restaurant had done anything too screwy I end up with free stuff without asking. I've also had a free desert or a waiter tell me of a special to get the same thing I asked for but save a few bucks, usually I just add double what I save to the tip.

The only problem is most restaurants I never go back, or go back some time way later. However, at the Chinese places I frequent I get whatever I want (usually those are small family operations anyway so its usually the same people every time you go in). I think on average it pays to be polite, I'd make a terrible restaurant manager for anyone trying to get a free comp on purpose.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #72
korme
Go Reds

Around the second week I ever started serving, this family of 8 came in and started complaining about everything... I only have two hands and at most can carry five meals at a time, and with everyone busy I had to make two trips to bring out all 8 meals. Of course, this was a huge problem as I should have known that people like to eat at the same time, because the 30 second difference was just too ridiculous. Also, one of the members' garlic bread was too burnt. Of course when I brought out a new piece he didn't even want it. End result? A $135 check got comped and my manager made *me* cover half of the bill! What a way to start in the industry, you learn really quickly that some people just suck.
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #73
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's when you quit on the spot, refuse to cover that half, and leave. find another serving job.

that's bonkers.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #74
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

this made me think of this thread, from Not Always Right | Funny & Stupid Customer Quotes » Quite Rightly, Waiting Impolitely Is Unsightly
Quote:
Quite Rightly, Waiting Impolitely Is Unsightly

Restaurant | Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(The restaurant is very busy, so food wait time is longer than usual.)
Table 1: “When is our food coming out? This is ridiculous; we’ve been waiting 20 minutes!”
Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. We are very busy right now, but I’ll be bringing out your food very shortly.”
Table 1: “Well, I hope so! You’re the worst server we’ve ever had!”
Me: “I’m sorry you feel that way. Like I said, it’ll be out shortly.”
(I move to another table.)
Me: “I’m really sorry about the wait, I’ve checked on your food and it will be out shortly. I’m so sorry. I realize you’ve been waiting 40 minutes.”
Table 2: “That’s not a problem at all…don’t worry about it.”
Me: “I’d like to offer you your meals on the house, and thank you again for your patience.”
Table 1: *overhearing* “How come WE don’t get our meals on the house?”
Table 2: *to table 1* “Because WE’VE been waiting POLITELY!”

FM
Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Around the second week I ever started serving, this family of 8 came in and started complaining about everything... I only have two hands and at most can carry five meals at a time, and with everyone busy I had to make two trips to bring out all 8 meals. Of course, this was a huge problem as I should have known that people like to eat at the same time, because the 30 second difference was just too ridiculous. Also, one of the members' garlic bread was too burnt. Of course when I brought out a new piece he didn't even want it. End result? A $135 check got comped and my manager made *me* cover half of the bill! What a way to start in the industry, you learn really quickly that some people just suck.

Yeah, that is completely illegal and beyond immoral. I would have escalated that as high as possible.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #76
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Wow...are you working at a mom and pop type place or a chain? You need to report that shit...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I always wondered how they could make waitrons pay for the check if a table walked out without paying.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #78
JeeberDMack
Mascot

With us, we can't. If we did there would be consequences. The server gets written up for a cash-handling violation, though...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #79
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, they can't make you pay. Generally what happens is the server is threatened with a write up, discipline, etc...and instead ponies up the cash.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #80
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Wow...are you working at a mom and pop type place or a chain? You need to report that shit...

Beef o' Brady's. This happened a long time ago, now I know better but at the time I just put my tail between my legs and paid it
korme is online now   Reply With Quote