Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My Olive Garden experience...aka WWJD (What Would Jeeber Do?)

Last night we went to the local Olive Garden, around 4:30. Both my wife and I feeling lazy, didn't want to cook, and planned on heading to 6:00 Saturday night Mass.

So, we get to OG, pretty packed, wait our 20 mins, and get seated.

The table behind us (me, wife, 3 year old daughter, 1 year old son) was a middle aged couple, probably early to mid 50's.

The guy is bitching up a storm. From his ramblings we learned this much-
-Wife's meal came cold.
-They were at OG, because that's where his wife wanted to go. He had no desire to go, but deferred to her decision.
-The area around his table was "too busy"

So, the waitress, who happened to be our waitress as well, was pleasant, and got the manager. Once the manager arrives, the guy goes into the same blah blah blah, this time including his insight on how the manager runs his restaurant.

I thought the manager handled it really well in the beginning. He said he's not going to apologize for his restaurant "being what it is"-- that is, family friendly, quick service, good value, etc. The guy repeated the area around their table being "busy" and criticized the manager for tables being turned around so quickly (which, I'd think, is just good business!).

Again the manager said that's how the operation runs, that they are not in the business of selling $100 meals.

I get the guy's complaint about his wife's meal being cold...meanwhile, I could see he sure woofed his down really quick.

What got me was the manager relented, and comped their entire meal. I know in the whole scheme of things, their $30-40 meal wasn't going to break the place, but why placate a guy who obviously is never coming back again? He wants to go to a 7 course, valet-parked, $100-meal restaurant, so let him go. And I imagine his circle of friends are the same type, so his word of mouth advertising also wasn't going to hurt the business.

We love OG-- the kids will mow through some breadsticks, and what kid doesn't like pasta? We are at the local one fairly often, and honestly this is the first time I remember seeing someone that visibly upset.

So, just curious....WWJD??

(PS-- never ending pasta is a beautiful thing)

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Management is trained to pretty much give guests anything they want. Our regional directors mantra is, "Find a way to say yes to the guest." It can be VERY frustrating, but that's what they're told to do.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
What got me was the manager relented, and comped their entire meal. I know in the whole scheme of things, their $30-40 meal wasn't going to break the place, but why placate a guy who obviously is never coming back again? He wants to go to a 7 course, valet-parked, $100-meal restaurant, so let him go. And I imagine his circle of friends are the same type, so his word of mouth advertising also wasn't going to hurt the business.

I have a friend that was in restaurant management at several restaurant chains for about a decade.

My impression was that if you really wanted a free meal every time you go out, you can get it. This is just kind of how it goes - if you make a big stink, you're getting a free meal. Even when it's obvious someone is doing it on purpose, you just kind of have to. I'm not sure the reasons, but I'm guessing the fact that they may pull this same song and dance to their district, regional, corporate, whatever manager and convince them probably plays a role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: Jeebs beat me to it with a lot less words .

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh, and I'm glad that your meal was enjoyable. Which sauce did you like the best?

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Having been in upper level managment for Carlson Restaurants I can tell you that it is far eaiser to comp his meal and have it done with.

If someone decides to call the corporate office and complain not only will the manager get shit but the head office knows, the managers boss, his boss, etc... Shit rolls downhill.

Plus the end result would probably be the corporate office sending out complimentry gift cards, etc... They do this to get the person back into the restaurant for a "second chance"

It's eaiser to just comp it and be done.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Calis
College Starter

Yeah I worked at a small local restaurant, not a chain and I remembered being so aggravated sometime because regardless of how lame or assholish a customer would be, the owner would comp everything. It's just the way it's done.

I suppose even if they're not coming back, the word that they spread is going to be a lot better if the meal ends in being free. It's hard to bitch too much about that, and hey..people love free food.

I hated the food business though. We were a place catering to a "higher-class" crowd and it just got terribly grating after a while. A person can only take so much condescension.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
rowech
Pro Starter

Skip Olive Garden and go to Carraba's if you have one.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Skip Olive Garden and go to Carraba's if you have one.

One of the co-founders of Carrabba's, Damian Mandola, just opened an Italian trattoria a couple of miles from my house at the winery/vineyard he is starting. Went there a couple of weeks ago, and it was awesome. So little ole' Driftwood now has two great places to eat, the Salt Lick and Trattoria Lisina. That's one great restaurant for every 200 residents.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I have a friend that was in restaurant management at several restaurant chains for about a decade.

My impression was that if you really wanted a free meal every time you go out, you can get it. This is just kind of how it goes - if you make a big stink, you're getting a free meal. Even when it's obvious someone is doing it on purpose, you just kind of have to. I'm not sure the reasons, but I'm guessing the fact that they may pull this same song and dance to their district, regional, corporate, whatever manager and convince them probably plays a role.

My understanding is that you can get comped once, but then you may have service refused to you in the future if you're a known trouble maker. Of course it may be different at large chain restaurants.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
My understanding is that you can get comped once, but then you may have service refused to you in the future if you're a known trouble maker. Of course it may be different at large chain restaurants.

not true unfortunantly.

i have personaly witnessed people who come in on a regular basis and complain and get their food comped every time.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
not true unfortunantly.

i have personaly witnessed people who come in on a regular basis and complain and get their food comped every time.

at least have the courtesy to refer to me by name!
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
StarBuck
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Management is trained to pretty much give guests anything they want. Our regional directors mantra is, "Find a way to say yes to the guest." It can be VERY frustrating, but that's what they're told to do.

Yup. And asshats like this guy know it too. I worked in restaurants at one time and you can spot the people looking for a comp of some sort a mile away, but the ones who have a plan for a comped meal are really something.

Last edited by StarBuck : 09-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.
StarBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't you be careful about wanting another meal (the wife's cold food) after bitching to the manager? It's not as if kitchen staff are known to, say, do something to bad customers.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wouldn't you be careful about wanting another meal (the wife's cold food) after bitching to the manager? It's not as if kitchen staff are known to, say, do something to bad customers.

SI

In all of my years I have never once seen a cook tamper with someones food.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Very true. That myth is WAY overblown.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
StarBuck
H.S. Freshman Team

I have. A few times,the waiter and the cooks.
StarBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm going to disagree with a lot of you I guess. I'm paying money....good money for the idea that my meal will be fresh, delievered in a reasonable amount of time, and that my waiter/waitress will be polite and attentive to refills, whether the food is good, and other items. I tip 20% everytime unless something happens with the waiter/waitress and then it usually goes to 15%. When it comes to the food/meal though, if something comes out cold, under or over cooked, etc. or something else within reason, I should be compensated as this is not what I was spending my money for.

A free meal? Not every time but free dessert should be fairly standards. Keeps the customer happy and is of minimal cost. A free meal should be an option though in some cases. Surely it's their right to not do anything and I will not raise a big fuss like this guy seemed to have done. Certainly though, I choose not to give them my business in the future.

Comes down to future customer and revenue versus one meal/dessert.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

The reason this guy is at OG and not a $100 meal with valet is he probably never goes to establishments like that. People like this are total asshats, but completly unavoidable at establishments in this price range. Nothing will ever satisfy a group like this except free food. If I were a restaurant I would do everything in my power to make it right, but I would never give away anything for free except in dire circumstances. This wasn't one.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

Saltina is a notorious grifter
Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You had me at "went to the local Olive Garden". You could have stayed home instead and nuked a can of Spaghetti-O's.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You had me at "went to the local Olive Garden". You could have stayed home instead and nuked a can of Spaghetti-O's.

Tell us how you really feel, Bucc

SI

Old 09-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #24
Atocep
Coordinator

He complained about cold food, but the wife ate the food?

Sounds to me like he was out to get a free meal from the begining and was looking for things to nitpick in order to magnify his dissatisfaction. This guy was putting on a show in hopes of getting the manager to do exactly what he ended up doing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #25
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck that regional director mantra. If a customer gives me a hard time for something that is clearly not my fault, I responded with a firm, uncaring "Yes, Sire/Ma'am", and then if they press the issue, I make sure to let them know how unreasonable they're being, and that they should accept my invitation never to return.

Screw that...I'm not working for some fledgling start-up that needs to deal with asshole customers, and neither are the people at the Olive Garden.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #26
Desnudo
Coordinator

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays
Old 09-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And needs flair?

SI

Old 09-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Fuck that regional director mantra. If a customer gives me a hard time for something that is clearly not my fault, I responded with a firm, uncaring "Yes, Sire/Ma'am", and then if they press the issue, I make sure to let them know how unreasonable they're being, and that they should accept my invitation never to return.

Screw that...I'm not working for some fledgling start-up that needs to deal with asshole customers, and neither are the people at the Olive Garden.

well then you'll never be employed in restaurant managment.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-23-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- not very long anyway. The second you invite a customer to accept your invitation not to return you can kiss your ass goodbye.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #30
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The thing that always bugs me about the Olive Garden is that their salad plates are always freezing cold for some reason.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #31
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola- not very long anyway. The second you invite a customer to accept your invitation not to return you can kiss your ass goodbye.

I guess not..luckily, that's never been a dream of mine. I just don't have to patience or the ability to force a fake smile as someone projects all their personal problems on to me. It's hard, and I commend anyone who is able to do it gracefully.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #32
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm going to disagree with a lot of you I guess. I'm paying money....good money for the idea that my meal will be fresh, delievered in a reasonable amount of time, and that my waiter/waitress will be polite and attentive to refills, whether the food is good, and other items. I tip 20% everytime unless something happens with the waiter/waitress and then it usually goes to 15%. When it comes to the food/meal though, if something comes out cold, under or over cooked, etc. or something else within reason, I should be compensated as this is not what I was spending my money for.

A free meal? Not every time but free dessert should be fairly standards. Keeps the customer happy and is of minimal cost. A free meal should be an option though in some cases. Surely it's their right to not do anything and I will not raise a big fuss like this guy seemed to have done. Certainly though, I choose not to give them my business in the future.

I don't think you're understanding people in this thread fwiw.

There's a difference between a legit problem and throwing a fit to intentionally get free food. The biggest sign, imo, is when they eat the food and THEN complain. If it's really a problem (as I've had before) youd on't eat it and get a replacement and complain at that point.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #33
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
In all of my years I have never once seen a cook tamper with someones food.

Quote:
Very true. That myth is WAY overblown.

They beg to differ. Probably NSFW:

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
The thing that always bugs me about the Olive Garden is that their salad plates are always freezing cold for some reason.

It's because we keep them in a freezer. Keeps the salad on your plate cold and fresh. Or do you like warm, wilty lettuce?

Old 09-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It's because we keep them in a freezer. Keeps the salad on your plate cold and fresh. Or do you like warm, wilty lettuce?

he just wants something to complain about so its free
Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #36
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

When you have salad at home, do you put it on a plate that came out of the freezer?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #37
JeeberD
General Manager

My freezer is too small and too crowded for any plates, dammit...

Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah I'd prefer a room-temperature plate for my salad.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

Whiny bitches

Old 09-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #41
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I want my soup in a bowl that just came out of the oven. I want toasty soup. Then, I want my pasta on a dish that was simultaneously in the freezer AND the oven, so that they can fight it out for my amusement. I'm the customer...make it happen bitches!

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #42
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hmm, not sure a single thing you have said here works against anything said before it.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #43
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, not sure a single thing you have said here works against anything said before it.

I was getting the idea people were saying you shouldn't complain about anything to get something done.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

I didn't see that at all.

If someone isn't happy with something, I'll be more than happy to let the manager know and it'll get taken off, or remade, or both. But don't get huffy and start demanding the entire meal for free, and don't eat almost the whole thing and then say you didn't like it...

Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #45
Schmidty
Coordinator

Pet peeve of the day:

People who loudly mock places like OG in order to sound intellectually superior and more socially refined.

Suggestion - Shut the fuck up, and let us peasants eat our Tour of Italys in peace.

*cough*Buc*cough*
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #46
Logan
Head Coach

I agree. Sometimes, shit just tastes good.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I had Spaghetti-O's for lunch yesterday.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #48
JeeberD
General Manager

Bucc mocks anything that has to do with me...

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-23-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #49
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Bucc mocks anything that has to do with me...

I know. I do the same thing to him.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 AM   #50
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

How long is lettuce on your plate for? Half an hour, tops? It's not like the only choices are out of the freezer or a hotplate -- just a basic, normal plate will do nicely. I can't imagine that will make the lettuce "warm" and "wilty" -- millions of people do it that way at home, and I haven't seen any evidence of the lettuce revolution yet. Do you honestly notice any difference when you eat salad at home, because of the plate?