Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

General Tso's Chicken

Maybe it's just me, but over time I've noticed that the General's chicken doesn't have nearly the kick it used to. And it's not just the particular joint I go to, as I try pretty much every place in our area and it seems to be the same everywhere.

Am i just insane or something?

Anyways, are you supposed to specify when ordering that you actually want the chicken to have some kick to it(ie I want General Tso's that tastes like general Tso's)? It's at the point where it's glorified sweet and sour chicken anymore. If I wanted that, i'd order it.

Thus concludes my rant.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe they stopped adding melamine?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe General Tso's just worn out making chicken and needs a break. Try the chicken from Colonel Sanders.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Best Tso's I ever had was at a place in Boone, NC.

Best KFC I've ever had was in Fuling, China. It was thinly breaded and hot as fire. Delicious,
Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Super Ugly
High School JV

Excellent. I used to eat this stuff when I lived in the States, but for the life of me I haven't been able to remember what it was called. I'm off to my local Chinese to see if they serve some tasty General Tso's ...
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
knolysis
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe they stopped adding melamine?

Nice... and oddly appropriate.
knolysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 06-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

General Tso's is my favourite Chinese dish

I find in most restaurants they'll tailor the food to your wants if you ask nicely, for instance I love hot & spicy food and most of the local restaurants are happy to spice things up a little more than usual for me.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I feel like I've noticed, but I've moved around a lot since the last time I've had really good general tso's.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Just eat Thai food and order it 4 star. That's what I do. Thai is much better than Chinese anyway.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's based on what chinese place you order it from. I've had some real bland General Tsao. I think the popularity of it forced a lot of Chinese places into throwing it on the menu despite them not knowing how to make it right. But there are still a few in Chicago that will really have some kick to it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think it's based on what chinese place you order it from. I've had some real bland General Tsao. I think the popularity of it forced a lot of Chinese places into throwing it on the menu despite them not knowing how to make it right. But there are still a few in Chicago that will really have some kick to it.

I agree. This is why I have started to switch things up and tend to go for things like "Emperor's Chicken" or "Sesame Chicken", which appear to variations on the General Tsao theme.

Man, every time I see the title of this thread I crave General Tsao's. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good Chinese places around where I live. The local one is simply abysmal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Just eat Thai food and order it 4 star. That's what I do. Thai is much better than Chinese anyway.

I think this area doesn't have any. We barely have non whites in this area.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I agree that Thai is better than Chinese food, but it's different. Sometimes I just need Chinese food.

The best Chinese I ever had was in D.C. at a place called Meiwah. It was pretty close to where I worked and I used to go there quite a bit. I miss it so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

You need to order Lt. General Tso's chicken, much spicier in my opinion, but, not as tough and gritty as General Patton's chicken.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #16
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You should be able to ask the people working there if you can kick it up some as well. I've heard good things about the dish, but also find myself thinking it's lacking in terms of kick where ever I go. Garlic Chicken is also one that is a default disappointment. I've had it to where I can't even tell if there is garlic in there, or not. Favorite Thai dish is a sweet and sour chicken styled dish. The sweet, sour, and spice give your taste buds a lot to play with. The chicken isn't deep fried, and there's an actual credible amount of vegetables in it. It really puts the Chinese version to shame.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Amen, brother.

Though I do enjoy some good General Tso's on occasion, though it can be difficult to some that qualifies as good...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The dish has seemingly followed the path of Angelina Jolie. Freaking great 10 or so years ago. Now, not so much.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #19
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I miss Almond Boneless Chicken.

Thanks to the internet, I find out it is somehow a dish that is a Detroit specialty!

Chinese Food - Seeking Almond Boneless Chicken (War Su Gai) | Los Angeles | Yelp

Almond Boneless Chicken - Wor Su Gai - a Chinese Recipe for Almond Boneless Chicken
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone says to "You haven't had Chinese until you've been to a real Chinese restaurant", don't go to dinner with them. You'll wind up spending 30 minutes chewing on a flavorless pig intestine.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #21
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Great Wall in Auburn Hills, best General Tso's ever! And its only $4.25

but its in the ghetto plus its cash only....dude got robbed and killed outside there a couple months ago. So we don't go as often as we used to.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
General Tso's is my favourite Chinese dish

I find in most restaurants they'll tailor the food to your wants if you ask nicely, for instance I love hot & spicy food and most of the local restaurants are happy to spice things up a little more than usual for me.

My favorite dish as well, and this new place opened down the street from us about a year ago and it has the best General's chicken I've ever eaten. It is so spicy that I usually have to order the mild (which is excellent, IMO.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

Have to bump this thread. I'm in the same boat. Can't find many places that makes a good General Tsao dish. Seems like they're just making Sesame Chicken without the sesames. I have eaten at around 10 restaurants in the city and only two make a respectable dish.

In college there was a Chinese buffet that we'd just destroy on the weekends. Had some amazing General Tsao that I just can't find anything close to.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-13-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #24
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree. This is why I have started to switch things up and tend to go for things like "Emperor's Chicken" or "Sesame Chicken", which appear to variations on the General Tsao theme.

Man, every time I see the title of this thread I crave General Tsao's. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good Chinese places around where I live. The local one is simply abysmal.

Have you had Kam's on 12 Mile in Berkley? Not sure if you are still in the Royal Oak area, but I think theirs is pretty good.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Have to agree.

Though it's still decent, even ordering it spicy from places doesn't do much. There's some flavor missing. Maybe they switched from dog to real chicken.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Food in general always seems to default to bland as it gets more popular.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277 View Post
Have you had Kam's on 12 Mile in Berkley? Not sure if you are still in the Royal Oak area, but I think theirs is pretty good.

I am still there and I haven't tried Kam's. I will do so. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Have to agree.

Though it's still decent, even ordering it spicy from places doesn't do much. There's some flavor missing. Maybe they switched from dog to real chicken.
If you're in the city, give Chens a try. Little pricey but the best I've had.

Chens Chicago --- Fine Chinese Cusine . Sushi . Sake Lounge ---