Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which team would come out of that deal better?
The Steelers 32 42.67%
The Rams 28 37.33%
The Trout that Ben was planning to molest this coming offseason 15 20.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If the Rams traded the 1.1 to the Steelers for Roethlisberger . . .

. . . which team do you think would have the better of the deal?

Basically, the right to Sam Bradford (and the obligation to pay him the 1.1 salary) for a QB that has won two Super Bowls, but probably molests women in the offseason.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

worth noting that I have heard nothing saying that this would be on the table. It is just my idle speculation.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Anyone who doesn't say the Rams is crazy. Proven SB winning molesting QB at only base salaries vs an unproven guy with $40 million guaranteed who has gotten hurt the last two times he's been hit (not sure if that's 100% accurate, but read that recently).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hmm, a two time Superbowl champ (albeit overrated) or a QB who didn't call his own plays, has a shoulder that has exploded on impact the last two times it was hit, and may or may not be just a systems QB?

I don't think Bradford will necessarily bust but for the purpose of this, he probably won't ever do what Ben has done so far.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Autumn
Head Coach

But there's also the issue that the Rams are approximately six light years away from contending for anything, so how much use is Roth to them now? I don't know anything about Bradford, and it's not like Ben is over the hill for the Steelers, but trading in your QB for a #1 pick prospect before your team fades away is not a bad deal.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

Where is this option? The chicks in Pittsburgh, they wouldn't have to carry mace around near as much.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 04-12-2010 at 08:50 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
But there's also the issue that the Rams are approximately six light years away from contending for anything, so how much use is Roth to them now?

Gotta disagree. That team isn't completely barren. There were rumblings McNabb almost went to STL for the 2.1. I understand in this scenario they wouldn't have the 1.1 to draft Suh, but put those two players on the Rams and they are immediately a contender to win the NFC West. Add in a couple decent FA signings, and there's no reason they couldn't win a couple playoff games.

There's OL issues in STL...adding Ben who seems to do some pretty amazing things with a collapsing pocket could be interesting.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
tarcone
Coordinator

Unless Big Ben is called Big Bendover in prison.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
. . . which team do you think would have the better of the deal?

Basically, the right to Sam Bradford (and the obligation to pay him the 1.1 salary) for a QB that has won two Super Bowls, but probably molests women in the offseason.

Isn't it fairly presumptuous to assume he only molests women in the offseason?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers

What the hell is big Ben going to do for the Rams other than suck up much needed cap room? The Rams are a long ways from being a playoff team therefore an aging QB in his prime isnt really a great investment.

It would be close to the Pirates going out and trading for Ryan Howard. It will add a few wins on the season but make no difference in the end result.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
But there's also the issue that the Rams are approximately six light years away from contending for anything, so how much use is Roth to them now? I don't know anything about Bradford, and it's not like Ben is over the hill for the Steelers, but trading in your QB for a #1 pick prospect before your team fades away is not a bad deal.

+1
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You would need more than a 1.1 if you wanted to get Ben, warts and all.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

True as well!

I dont think either team would even consider this trade. It would only hurt both teams.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Steelers. Big Ben = overrated as hell.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the Rams easily get the best of this deal due to Roethlisberger having recently signed a huge extension (and already having the signing bonus in the bank). If you don't consider that, I think it's a little closer, but still favors the Rams due to the known vs unknown (+ the unknown's signing demands).

I imagine that Rams' fans would be pretty happy if Bradford turns into a Roethlisberger-like player when he hits his peak.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #16
Sgran
High School Varsity

I don't watch college football, so I don't know the QBs coming out, but whether the Rams keep the pick or trade down (which I would do) for more picks, I think they say no to the deal. See Cutler, J. (and yes, that's an attempt at a reverse-jinx from a Bears fan)
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Steelers

What the hell is big Ben going to do for the Rams other than suck up much needed cap room? The Rams are a long ways from being a playoff team therefore an aging QB in his prime isnt really a great investment.

It would be close to the Pirates going out and trading for Ryan Howard. It will add a few wins on the season but make no difference in the end result.

Ummm, jbergey - there is no salary cap any more. Therefore, there is no cap room.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

And as Swaggs and I have pointed out...signing bonuses are paid by, and stick with, the signing team. So even if the cap gets worked out, he would only cost the Rams his base salary for the duration of his contract.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

They could've had him a few years ago but turned down a trade saying the Phillies were asking too much in Kip Wells
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
chesapeake
College Starter

Hasn't Ben had his brain scrambled several times now? A quick googling shows at least 3 concussions as a Steeler by mid-2008. His off-field antics indicate to me that his brain as it is currently constituted doesn't run particularly well as it is; any more brain trauma could be career-ending. Ben may last for another 10 years, but I'm taking the guy with the bad shoulder.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Toss up, if Ben fixes his off field issues Rams would get the better of the deal, so long a he can stay healthy. That is a big if, since he won't have the supporting cast he had in Pittsburgh.

QB's are the toughest position to predict in terms of NFL success. Bradford gives you someone who won't get into trouble off the field, but he is fragile and once you start getting Shoulder injuries, you are more susceptible to recurrences. He would benefit from not being expected to be a savior, like Roesthlisberger his first year.

Im went with Rams, just because I question how Bradford will hold up with his Shoulder issues.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Doubtful. This is the NFL! The easiest league to trade bad picks for good players!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Holy shit Shorty is back!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Don't go away korme!!!!!!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
Pyser
Pro Rookie

great hypothetical

and welcome back, shorty! the movie thread thrives.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #26
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think it's terrible for both teams. The Steelers are close to a SB and take a huge step back with a rookie QB (esp a brittle one with their OL). The Rams are 3-4 years from sniffing contention, so they basically waste the prime of Big Ben with a crappy team.

If this deal happened, both GMs should be fired
Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #27
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think it's terrible for both teams. The Steelers are close to a SB and take a huge step back with a rookie QB (esp a brittle one with their OL). The Rams are 3-4 years from sniffing contention, so they basically waste the prime of Big Ben with a crappy team.

If this deal happened, both GMs should be fired

Yeah, that's the truth of the matter there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
. . . probably molests women in the offseason.
There's actually no evidence that he molests more than one woman per offseason.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Isn't it fairly presumptuous to assume he only molests women in the offseason?

Quote:

Genital warts, maybe.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #30
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Ummm, jbergey - there is no salary cap any more. Therefore, there is no cap room.

I suppose that is true how easily I forget. Teams are still acting like there is a cap and I would expect it to come back.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ben to the Bills for 1.9, a third rounder and the bills number one next year.

Can't see the steelers taking Bradford. Plus Dixon at least deserves a real shot. Unless Bradford is the opening day starter you run the risk of dividing a locker room when Bradford eventually takes over for financial reasons(especially if Dixon is average or better).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That team isn't completely barren. There were rumblings McNabb almost went to STL for the 2.1. I understand in this scenario they wouldn't have the 1.1 to draft Suh, but put those two players on the Rams and they are immediately a contender to win the NFC West. Add in a couple decent FA signings, and there's no reason they couldn't win a couple playoff games.

This is incorrect. Trust me I have watched every single Rams game since they came to St. Louis. The cupboard in St. Louis is quite bare.

Pairing up a good QB to go along with Steven Jackson would obviously make them better, but they are super thin at WR. Donnie Avery has shown a little promise, and playing with Bulger has not done him any favors, but he is not a real #1 wideout. After Avery you have the legion of "upside" guys who there is no real reason to believe they are going to turn into more than #3 or #4 type guys. Robinson, Burton, Gibson, etc all have shown minor flashes (you can argue Robinson has done more than that, but I wasn't as in love with him as the rest of the city was when he went down last year). Danny Amendola caught 43 balls last year. That should be proof enough how thin they are.

As you said the offensive line certainly has issues and the defense is awful. Again the fact that they were very happy re-sign James Hall, who is average at best, is awful telling.

I wish you were right and they were not as far away as they are, but that just isn't the case. Adding McNabb and Suh would not make them a playoff contender this year even in the West. I don;t agree that they are light years away either, as that just isn't the nature of the NFL. Teams are able to turn it around quickly all the time, and I am not even saying doing something like making the move for McNabb when he was out there wouldn't have been the best course. It just wouldn't have been enough for them to compete this year.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of the Rams.......
Why isn't AmenDola a meme round these parts.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Speaking of the Rams.......
Why isn't AmenDola a meme round these parts.
Because nobody on this board can name more than two Rams. Hell, whenever I try to name two, the second guess is always Jeff Wilkins.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #35
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Because nobody on this board can name more than two Rams. Hell, whenever I try to name two, the second guess is always Jeff Wilkins.
And, the first one is either Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #36
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
dola:

worth noting that I have heard nothing saying that this would be on the table. It is just my idle speculation.

see what you did
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #37
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I read somewhere awhile back, that Ben was doing some sort of,
"if you're not down, then suck it".

I assume this was/is his M.O. recently.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #38
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

Hmmm.

According to this poll, the 1.1 for Big Ben seems like a fair-ish deal (though I think that, personally, I agree with Arlie. It's fair in that it is a bad deal for each team).

This rumor has the 1.1 plus first year's number 1. So, if the Rams do that, they are quite foolish, I think.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Huh. The Sports Reporters show in DC wondered if you could really get much of anything for Roethlisberger, between off-field stupidity and concussion concerns. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I think 1.1 is crazy talk.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #40
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, if the Steelers could get 1.1 and next year's 1 they should take it right away.

That's Dan Snyder crazy.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #41
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That is, of course, a Pittsburgh paper pulling that rumor out of its butt. I'm sure that the St. L papers are floating rumors of Ben for the 2.1.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Calling it now:

Roethlisberger to the Raiders for Heyward-Bey, Gallery, and Bubb Rubb or whatever the hell his name is.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Calling it now:

Roethlisberger to the Raiders for Heyward-Bey, Gallery, and Bubb Rubb or whatever the hell his name is.

Parise to the IR with a broken leg.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Parise to the IR with a broken leg.
help
Old 04-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #45
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
help

Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
ooh zach you are welcome to bust through my wall anytime

and wear that river rats jersey

hell yes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #47
SteveMax58
College Starter

I'm surprised this poll is even close, let alone in favor of the Steelers benefitting.

An elite NFL QB is still the most difficult role to find for an NFL franchise. The Steelers will instantly become the Steelers of the 80's while they try to find a new one.

I think we've gotten a little too used to the early successes of some QBs (which only recently started with Ben himself). We see Matt Ryan, Flacco, and maybe a couple others that do well but they are still extremely rare...and neither of those guys are as good as Ben anyway.

Ben has at least 6-7 years of top 5 NFL QB performance left in him (if not more). The Rams may never get a franchise QB for 10 or more seasons.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #48
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I'm surprised this poll is even close, let alone in favor of the Steelers benefitting.

An elite NFL QB is still the most difficult role to find for an NFL franchise. The Steelers will instantly become the Steelers of the 80's while they try to find a new one.

I think we've gotten a little too used to the early successes of some QBs (which only recently started with Ben himself). We see Matt Ryan, Flacco, and maybe a couple others that do well but they are still extremely rare...and neither of those guys are as good as Ben anyway.

Ben has at least 6-7 years of top 5 NFL QB performance left in him (if not more). The Rams may never get a franchise QB for 10 or more seasons.

I'm waiting to see year 1 of top 5 qb performance.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #49
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not sure about dominance, but 2007 and last year were pretty damn good.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #50
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Im sure there has been a better player than Big Ben in every NFL draft perhaps we are just very confident in our scouting ability.