Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hitler is mad about copyright protection.

For Hitler's Xbox Live, The War Is Over - Xbox Live - Kotaku

Quote:
In 2007, Adolf Hitler and Xbox Live helped start an internet meme that started the whole world laughing. Three years on, the distributors of the film the clip is based on have yanked it from YouTube.

The clip, and countless others that have been posted in its wake, took footage from the award-winning 2004 film Downfall (Der Untergang in its native German), to which Constantin Films owns the rights, and changed the subtitles to make it appear Hitler was angry not at his lost war, but at something far more trivial. In this case, how he was banned from Xbox Live.

Deciding enough was enough, Constantin has filed a copyright protection claim with YouTube, and as a result the service's Content ID program has begun removing the videos from the popular online video sharing site.

A shame for those who spent the time constructing the clips, then, but in all honesty the joke had run its course a couple of years ago. Having it scrubbed from the decks of the internet might be for the best (provided, that is, some copies are still floating around for posterity's sake).

You've got to wonder about Constantin's motives in this, though. And the timing. Sure, on the one hand it was a little crass reducing the most powerful moment of such a powerful film to expletive-riddled comedy, but surely it also encouraged millions upon millions of people who otherwise hadn't see the small-scale movie to go check it out?

Man, end of an era.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'd just bought this movie when I found it the other day based almost entirely on my awareness of the movie based on those clips.

If I cared strongly enough, I'd return the movie to protest that move - especially as parody is supposed to be protected under fair use.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

These things were warmed over a while ago. Even people I respect and admire were entertained by these things far longer than I was. The first two I saw were funny. After that...dude...get your own idea.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'd just bought this movie when I found it the other day based almost entirely on my awareness of the movie based on those clips.

If I cared strongly enough, I'd return the movie to protest that move - especially as parody is supposed to be protected under fair use.

Using the exact clip generally isn't protected under parody laws.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Using the exact clip generally isn't protected under parody laws.

Why is it any different if 30,000 people engage in parody versus one person? I'm not aware of any part of copyright law that says parody is only okay if a specific portion of a work is only parodied by a single individual.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why is it any different if 30,000 people engage in parody versus one person? I'm not aware of any part of copyright law that says parody is only okay if a specific portion of a work is only parodied by a single individual.

I dont get where this argument is coming from.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:

huh? The point wasnt about how many people are doing it, the point is that this is NOT parody. Its taking the EXACT clip and simply throwing new text under it, im fairly certain thats copyright infringement.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Like most of these internet memes, I arrived to the party a few years late. I don't think I saw one of these parodies until a few months ago. I forgot exactly what Hitler was mad about in that one.

Also, I never even knew about "Rick Rolling" until a few weeks ago.

I must not be a very creative or adventurous web surfer. Also, the fact that "You Tube" was blocked at work for a long, long time didn't help.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

I tried to show my girlfriend one of these Hitler things once, but since she speaks German, I think the effect was lost. She's a real downer sometimes.

Downfall is a great movie, by the way.

Last edited by molson : 04-21-2010 at 04:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
huh? The point wasnt about how many people are doing it, the point is that this is NOT parody. Its taking the EXACT clip and simply throwing new text under it, im fairly certain thats copyright infringement.

Here's the thing - one of the tests as to whether "fair use" is in play is how much of the copyrighted work has been copied. A three minute clip out of a two hour movie is probably not going to fail that test.

Particularly if the alleged infringers don't have a commercial motive in the creation of those parody clips.

Where the studio would have recourse might be against YouTube or other hosts who profit from advertising sold/viewed alongside the clip, but the clips themselves do not, IMO, cross the line from "fair use" to "infringement."

I mean, again. I'm not a lawyer. I dunno if the guys behind this site are licensed to practice, either, but here's what I found through a fairly quick Google search:

http://www.publaw.com/parody.html

I don't see anything in there that contradicts what I've said.

Greyroofoo - I probably misunderstood what you were suggesting, though "exact clip" has fuck-all to do with it. We're still talking about fair-use protections whether I misunderstood the thrust of your argument or not. If the creators of those clips meet the guidelines for fair use protection as works of parody, there is no infringement.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Matter of time, of course.