Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #501
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
field level view of the Butler interception, good view of Browner's job with Kearse
Patriots win Super Bowl on Butler's interception - YouTube

FM

Another note on this video (I love this video so much I can't count the number of times I've watched it): watch how Butler, an underexperienced rookie, points out the pick to Browner before the play, allowing Browner to jam his receiver, trusting Butler to then do his job and make the play.

Everything about that is awesome.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #502
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Another note on this video (I love this video so much I can't count the number of times I've watched it): watch how Butler, an underexperienced rookie, points out the pick to Browner before the play, allowing Browner to jam his receiver, trusting Butler to then do his job and make the play.

Everything about that is awesome.

That's funny, I see it the other way around. Butler initially lined up on the inside but then Browner directed him to cover the outside when he saw where Butler was.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 02-05-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #503
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's funny, I see it the other way around. Butler initially lined up on the inside but then Browner directed him to cover the outside when he saw where Butler was.

I actually saw it that way too and as mad as I could have been at times with Browner for all the flags he got over the course of the season, his physical presence on that one play redeemed him in my mind...

FM
Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #504
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
I actually saw it that way too and as mad as I could have been at times with Browner for all the flags he got over the course of the season, his physical presence on that one play redeemed him in my mind...

FM
I was only slightly mad all season at Browner for all the penalties. The penalties were the result of the exact style and mentality which allowed him to foil the rub on that route. I loved the physicality he brought to that secondary.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #505
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Not following closely, was Browner committing too many holding and interferences this season?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #506
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

King of holding. But I'm with Castlerock on him.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #507
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Not following closely, was Browner committing too many holding and interferences this season?
Yea. And illegal contact. Seemed like he was good for at least one every game.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #508
molson
General Manager

It's not a terrible strategy to constantly commit penalties when you know you're only going to be called once or twice a game.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #509
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
I was only slightly mad all season at Browner for all the penalties. The penalties were the result of the exact style and mentality which allowed him to foil the rub on that route. I loved the physicality he brought to that secondary.

I agree and I also liked the physical presence he brought to the defense in the back. See how I wrote "at times", meaning just that. When he was getting called, more than once I told myself "oh come on, not again" only to really like him break up a play on one of the more physical receiver from an opponent..

I'd say he was good for at least one penalty of that type per game, sometimes more.

FM
Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #510
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd say he was good for at least one penalty of that type per game, sometimes more.

If this site is accurate, you aren't far off. Most penalized player in the league last season, 15 assessed flags.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2014
Old 02-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #511
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
I agree and I also liked the physical presence he brought to the defense in the back. See how I wrote "at times", meaning just that. When he was getting called, more than once I told myself "oh come on, not again" only to really like him break up a play on one of the more physical receiver from an opponent..

FM
I probably should have started my comment with "I agree". I completely got your point and meant I was just "less" annoyed.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #512
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
I probably should have started my comment with "I agree". I completely got your point and meant I was just "less" annoyed.

and I probably should have used "annoyed" rather than "mad" to describe how his penalties made me feel over the course of the season...

FM
Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #513
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If this site is accurate, you aren't far off. Most penalized player in the league last season, 15 assessed flags.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2014
And he was suspended for the first few games.

You can even see on that end zone video Kearse turning to the refs and motioning for a flag against Browner, which would've been ridiculous. Kearse's entire route on that play appears to be "push/drive Browner into Butler's path so the slant is open", Browner better be allowed to push back/grab a little bit to stand his ground.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #514
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Fun article in MMQB today - talking with Brady and McDaniels about the preparations and the 4th quarter drives Tom Brady explains fourth quarter of Patriots-Seahawks Super Bowl XLIX | The MMQB with Peter King

This stuck out for me

Quote:
Brady: “We had two guys running opposite seams, Gronk and LaFell. Both safeties had vision on that. Julian’s route was supposed to be four yards. This was identical to a play we ran [against Seattle] in 2012. I hit Wes Welker. They played that same coverage against Welker in 2012, with a lineman dropping back on him in coverage in the short middle, and I hit him. I watched a lot of tape—our game with them from two years ago three times, Dallas this year multiple times, their championship game against Green Bay three times. I’m always trying to match the perfect amount of physical preparation with the right mental preparation. And I’m 37, I’ve got to get a lot of rest. I am a person that relies on my sleep. Anyway, that is what makes my relationship with Josh so special, because I feel at this point we’ve been together so long and we know each other so well and we’re so synchronized. This game, awesome. This play was an example of that. He knew it would work. He knew Julian would be there for me, and he was. Watching that tape, I saw it from a couple of years ago—and Josh saw it too.”

I mean, how many QBs esp. the ones that don't bother to study and work hard, can remember stuff from a couple of years ago?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 02-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #515
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

this was the one that I was impressed by

Quote:
So K.J. Wright walks up to Gronk. We know it’s man. Same coverage Wright had on the touchdown pass to Gronk earlier. So if you’re K.J. Wright, you’re thinking, ‘I don’t want to get beat on a TD pass again,’ and he plays him high. Gronk sells the go route, and runs the stop route. Gronk knew it. Later, he told me, ‘As soon as the ball was snapped, I knew you were throwing it to me.’

smart, well-prepared players. it's not unique to NE, but to me it really shows how some talented guys come here and just don't produce like they were expected to (Ochocinco, etc). Learning the plays is one thing. Learning to play smart is a whole different thing.