Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #51
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I thought bad news came in threes, not fives.

David Carradine
Ed McMahon
Farah Fawcett
Michael Jackson
Billy Mays

No, no, no...that's just silly superstition. This is clearly the beginning of the Rapture.

SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #52
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Any guy who thinks sports at work is better than work at work, is ok in my book.

Amen!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #53
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I thought bad news came in threes, not fives.

David Carradine
Ed McMahon
Farah Fawcett
Michael Jackson
Billy Mays

It's more like alphabetical order,
David
Ed
Farah
Michael
William(Billy)

Strange.

I correct myself,
David Carradine was actually John Arthur "David" Carradine

Still strange though.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 06-28-2009 at 08:57 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
It's more like alphabetical order,
David
Ed
Farah
Michael
William(Billy)

Strange.

Is Zsa Zsa still alive?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #55
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is Zsa Zsa still alive?

Still kicking, birth date is 1917.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #56
Swaggs
Coordinator

I knew he attended WVU, but just found out that he was briefly on the football team as a walk-on.

Sad news -- 50 is way too young to go.

RIP Billy Mays
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #57
DanGarion
Coordinator

Was really starting to get into Pitchmen, he seemed like a really nice guy, and a good dad.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is no reflection on Billy Mays and I don't mean this to be a slight, particularly towards the dead.

However, to put him in the same sentence as Michael Jackson, Ed McMahon, or even Farah Fawcett is just laughable and I've heard it quite a few times today.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-29-2009 at 12:37 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #59
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This is no reflection on Billy Mays and I don't mean this to be a slight, particularly towards the dead.

However, to put him in the same sentence as Michael Jackson, Ed McMahon, or even Farah Fawcett is just laughable and I've heard it quite a few times today.

SI

He is certainly more contemporary than any of the others.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #60
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Interesting that he was on the US Air flight that landed hard and he got hit on the head by falling luggage or something. That was Saturday. Then that night he told a friend he wasn't feeling well and was groggy. Then he dies overnight. Wonder if this was a Natasha Richardson-type injury?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #61
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Interesting that he was on the US Air flight that landed hard and he got hit on the head by falling luggage or something. That was Saturday. Then that night he told a friend he wasn't feeling well and was groggy. Then he dies overnight. Wonder if this was a Natasha Richardson-type injury?

That's what I was wondering after hearing about his flight (my son, who was pretty down about this, wanted something to happen to the pilot of the plane...I didn't know what he was even talking about at first).
Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #62
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

is that because he wasn't being careful that contents may have shifted during flight like they warn you once you land?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #63
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:

SI

Most people under 35 have only a vague idea of who Michael Jackson was, and they likely have no idea who Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon were. They all know who Billy Mays was.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #64
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I caught an episode of pitchmen. Suprisingly good show.

RIP Billy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #65
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Most people under 35 have only a vague idea of who Michael Jackson was, and they likely have no idea who Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon were. They all know who Billy Mays was.

Generalizations FTL!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #66
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Generalizations FTL!

hxxp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/06/28/ST2009062802656.html
Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #67
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
Generalizations FTL!

Quote:
hxxp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/06/28/ST2009062802656.html

Yeah, I'm with Jeebs here. I think you picked a bad age.

This article says anyone after say 1982. I think that's more accurate. Someone born in 1982 would be 27 years old.

I'm 30. If anyone the same age as me doesn't have a very good understanding of who Michael Jackson, they need to be punched in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #68
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm 32. My wife is 26. Now while my wife was hit much harder by MJ's death, I grew up listening to him. My wife and I know who Farrah Fawcett is, and certainly Ed McMahon. And all I know about Billy Mays is that he did infomercials, though I probably couldn't name a product other than OxiClean.

Probably 90% of the people I work with are under the age of 30...hell, 75% are probably under 25. And just about every single one of them have been talking about MJ and Farrah the past few days (there was one girl, though, an 18 year old who asked who Farrah Fawcett was)...

Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #69
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah, I'm with Jeebs here. I think you picked a bad age.

This article says anyone after say 1982. I think that's more accurate. Someone born in 1982 would be 27 years old.

I'm 30. If anyone the same age as me doesn't have a very good understanding of who Michael Jackson, they need to be punched in the face.

Okay, I'll go with 27 for Michael Jackson

But by God, I'm sticking with 35 for Ed McMahon

Last edited by King of New York : 06-29-2009 at 09:14 AM.
King of New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Jesus. I'm 26, currently working with a bunch of new hires, 22 years old and fresh out of college. We were just talking about how the weekend was a constant stream of MJ music among our groups of friends. I was in Central Park yesterday and all kinds of young people blasting his music. Maybe it's a geographical thing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #71
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
But by God, I'm sticking with 35 for Ed McMahon

Plenty of people younger than 35 know about him from Star Search...

Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #72
DanGarion
Coordinator

Come on guys, this is a Billy Mays thread, keep your MJ out of it!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #73
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:

Forgot about that.

Okay, I give.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #74
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

SI

A lot of factors come into play here. I think a lot depends upon where you live and what you grew up exposed to. I am familiar with all of the people who have died in the past week and a half (albeit less with David Carradine than the others). I also think there are different levels of being a celebrity. Obviously, Billy Mays is not at the same level as MJ or even Ed McMahon, but is he a celebrity in his own right? No question. When his commercials come on tv most of us know immediately who he is and what he does. The same can be said when we hear an MJ song on the radio (or video on MTV before the network decided to suck balls). So, it is all just really a matter of perception I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #75
Ksyrup

Quote:

Ed McMahon is a lot like Jerry Lewis, in a way. A lot of younger people will know who he is and identify him with something specific, but few will know him for what made him a star to begin with. I'm almost 40, and to this day, Jerry Lewis - to me - is some cruise ship singer-looking guy who does a telethon every year. I'm aware of his past, of course, but when he goes, I bet most young people won't know or care much about it. Although, I have no doubt there will be tons of press about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - Medical examiner: Pitchman Mays had heart disease

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Florida medical examiner says television pitchman Billy Mays likely died of a heart attack but further tests are needed.

Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Vernard Adams said Monday the boisterous, bearded 50-year-old known for hawking Oxiclean suffered from hypertensive heart disease. He was found dead Sunday in his Tampa home. A day earlier he bumped his head during a rough landing on a commercial airliner, but Adams says there there was no evidence of head trauma.

He says Mays was taking the prescription painkillers Tramadol and hydrocodone for hip pain. But Adams says there was no indication of drug abuse, and pill counts showed Mays had been taking the correct amount of the drugs.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #77
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm 34, and I have no idea who Billy Mays is other than what I've gleaned from this thread.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #78
JediKooter
Coordinator

NOW I WON"T HAVE TO LISTEN TO HIM YELLING AT ME TO GET ME TO BUY SOMETHING!!!

RIP BILLY MAYS!!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #79
Ksyrup

Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #80
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

LOL. I love it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #81
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's kind of a laughable statement. I'm 29, and I hang out in bars with a number of under 35 crowd. We all know Michael Jackson (and did a few shots for him with Jackson music coming from the jukebox). We all also knew Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon. Billy Mays is that yelling telemarketer guy, yes, but less of a knowledge that the other three.

Hell, if you go by Twitter, which trends young, on the day Billy Mays dies, he's trending below Michael Jackson right now, who has been dead for a few days now.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #82
Ksyrup

So wrong yet funny:

Quote:
they say celebs die in threes. leave it to billy mays to throw in one extra COMPLETELY FREE!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - Billy Mays remains a TV pitchman, even in death
NEW YORK (AP) - Death won't still the voice of Billy Mays or his mighty powers of persuasion. Viewers will continue to find the boisterous, bearded TV pitchman hawking household products for the indefinite future. And at least one of his commercials is being introduced posthumously.

"Just stretch, wrap and it fuses fast," says Mays, demonstrating a product called Mighty Tape on a kitchen drain pipe in the new commercial. Moments later, he's seen, still wearing his signature sport shirt and khaki slacks but accessorized with scuba gear, as he repairs a hole in another diver's air hose underwater using Mighty Tape.

The commercial will begin airing July 20. Mays' advertising for other products in the Mighty brand line returned to the air earlier this week. The commercials were pulled after Mays' death June 28 of an apparent heart attack.

"Our feeling is, everyone wants to have Billy go on," said Bill McAlister, president of Media Enterprises, a sales and marketing company based in Trevose, Penn. "This is what he would have wanted."

Besides Media Enterprises, the 50-year-old Mays had worked with several other companies as the yell-and-sell spokesman for products with rousing names like OxiClean, Awesome Auger, WashMatik and Orange Glo.

It's not yet certain which among Mays' product pitches will continue to be broadcast, and for how long, said his attorney, Roger Pliakas.

"We're waiting to hear what the companies want to do," said Pliakis, who declined to specify the firms with which Mays was associated when he died.

"It's not a legal conversation but an informal conversation" with each company, Pliakas said. "We don't know all the specifics. We're just hoping it's all done in a tasteful manner."

On Thursday at 9 p.m. EDT, Discovery Channel will air a one-hour documentary, "Pitchman: A Tribute to Billy Mays." Mays had been featured in a 12-part series on the network called "Pitchmen."
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #84
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I enjoyed the Pitchmen show, even if it was some kind of weird meta-infomercial for infomercials. Billy came off as a real dude....not like a real 'nice', or 'good' guy, but pretty much exactly what you would expect a dude like that to be off camera, a lot of ego, an obvious need to be liked AND heard, but he seemed to know exactly where he fit in the world. I got the feeling that Billy and Sully still thought of themselves as some version of 'carnies', despite the Bentleys and private planes. On the other hand, I believe he did have some hand in producing the show, so it's not surprising that the picture it painted was overwhelmingly positive.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw a big city slider ad today.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #86
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"Our feeling is, everyone wants to have Billy go on," said Bill McAlister, president of Media Enterprises, a sales and marketing company based in Trevose, Penn. "This is what he would have wanted."

Woooo Trevose!

/grew up in Feasterville (Feasterville-Trevose)
Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #87
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I had a feeling all of that loudness and energy wasn't completely natural.

Cocaine contributed to pitchman Mays' death, autopsy report says
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #88
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I had a feeling all of that loudness and energy wasn't completely natural.

Cocaine contributed to pitchman Mays' death, autopsy report says

Whoah! Still seeing commercials with him too....kinda creepy.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd guess this will be the straw that gets the commercials removed from the air?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd guess this will be the straw that gets the commercials removed from the air?

Some, probably not all to be honest about it though.

The cost of producing a new one will cause at least some to leave them on the air assuming they have that option.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #91
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

I see what you did here.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #92
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

nice

Last edited by RomaGoth : 08-07-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #93
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I don't believe it for a second. If Billy Mays was using coke, I am sure that everyone that watches TV at 3am would have known about it, and probably would have bought some.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #94
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We can only hope.

or in the spirit of the coc-head...

WE CAN ONLY HOPE!!!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #95
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

5 Surprising Things You Learn as the Son of Billy Mays | Cracked.com
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote