Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #1
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Here We Go, Boys! Survivor: Ghost Island! (Spoilers too)

These things always creep up on us.

I liked the doublesized episode...

No doubt because they knew who was going home no matter how they wanted to cover it.

I'm really liking the thought of past errors and mistakes with the past idols and advantages that went along with them. The extra games are fun.

Eaglefan, you won't be disappointed this season!

I actually thought this was going to be another allstar season where the people that did REALLY stupid things got to redeem themself. Was a little disappointed that it isn't. At least not yet it isn't. But they keep showing Eliza and Erik.

I was really confused about why neither James nor Donathan wouldn't swim down to do the thing.

Also confused about that tribe really. Poor Jacob. Too many ideas flying out of his mouth too quickly. And of course telling everyone everytime he does a move or thing.

Glad he made it to ep 2 tho. Surprised and pleased they kept Donathan. He'll be fun I think.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-01-2018 at 08:33 PM.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm loving Donathan - such a refreshing change from the usual suspects. And as soon as Jacob said he was an expert at deception, he showed that he was not - his story about the idol, and the way he told it, was totally not credible.

I also like the cursed idols from the past - brings back some great memories from the show. But, starting with last year, the game has become much too idol-dependent, and has lost a lot of its original focus on 'survival'.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Yeah, if you're uneasy about the dominant role idols/advantages have taken lately, basing an entire season's premise around them should exacerbate that. Even though I do think the premise is kinda cool.

Ultimately I'm afraid it's the third straight season of "Survivor: Who Can Find Stuff the Best."
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
These things always creep up on us.

I was really confused about why neither James nor Donathan wouldn't swim down to do the thing.

I'm not the strongest swimmer, but I've been snorkeling before. The last time out, it was little more advanced than what I was used to. We were in 20 feet of water, it was a little choppy and the guide went way far ahead. I found myself getting further and further behind the main group and panic started to set in. So, ask me to dive down 10 feet to free some balls while I was going through that? No way.

Mind you, I can't say they were going through the same thing, but it seemed neither of them were going to be the next Mark Spitz.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Ultimately I'm afraid it's the third straight season of "Survivor: Who Can Find Stuff the Best."

Just in time for Easter!
Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I liked the first vote since Donathan is a more interesting character than Gonzalez. I didn't like the 2nd vote. They had to know that the swap would be happening at 18, which is the recent pattern in 20 player seasons. Keeping the tribe strong is meaningless in that scenario. Now one of the less physically fit people are in danger if they get swapped to a tribe of alpha players.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I liked the first vote since Donathan is a more interesting character than Gonzalez. I didn't like the 2nd vote. They had to know that the swap would be happening at 18, which is the recent pattern in 20 player seasons. Keeping the tribe strong is meaningless in that scenario. Now one of the less physically fit people are in danger if they get swapped to a tribe of alpha players.

They need to have a season where the two tribes stay until one is completely eliminated. That way future teams will want to keep strong during the 1st half of the game, instead of eliminating threats from week 1. With the merge happening this quickly, there's no incentive to work together with your team in any way, just pick off the guys that you think will have a chance to win.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, if you're uneasy about the dominant role idols/advantages have taken lately, basing an entire season's premise around them should exacerbate that. Even though I do think the premise is kinda cool.

If you can find an idol in the complete darkness, they're probably a bit too easy to find.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
If you can find an idol in the complete darkness, they're probably a bit too easy to find.

This.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

OMG that sucked

it's so funny too...you guys were saying how all about the toys these last few seasons have been. It is also all about blindsides. People just WANT to blindside JUST to blindside. Have a conversation with someone? They instantly want to vote you out.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I realize some of this is an editing choice, but I just want one scene where somebody goes looking for an idol and then they don't find it. At least make us wait until after a commercial break. Anything other than "I have to find an idol" and they're holding it in their hands 30 seconds later going "Wow, I can't believe I found it". Yeah, well we can, because this happens every episode now.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Mota
College Benchwarmer

That would be good to see. "I just can't find the idol!". Maybe you need multiple clues to get this one.

1. It's on the east side of the island
2. It's near the beach
3. It's buried 10 feet under ground beside the crazy tree

Or how about this? Make a tribal idol that can be used by the finder on their own timeline, but protects everybody that was on the tribe when it was found. That way it might encourage people to work together to gain an advantage, instead of only the people on the outs.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Michael's whole "this is a double idol" bluff made for a great tribal, even though it feels like the editing made it seem like a tougher decision than it was. Not really sure what the advantage for Chelsea or Sebastian flipping would have been but in the moment I thought they might pull it off.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so what do you know ! There was a guy named brandon. and a guy named sebastian. nd a girl named chelsea
Old 04-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Things so boring lately.

SHould have been desiree

James was awesome

This is going to be an endless stream of people i like voted off. has been so far.

I like the 3 tribe thing.

really hope Dom wins at this point.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That was a decent episode, a reasonably fun showdown and another all-time dumb move. But Wendell's voting booth speech will go down as the highlight of the season.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #18
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
That was a decent episode, a reasonably fun showdown and another all-time dumb move. But Wendell's voting booth speech will go down as the highlight of the season.

heh yeah....hahahaha wendell great

chris even TRYING to make the idol more powerful was stupid.,

He should have just walked away, then used it at the next tribal. Boom

Libby goes home. or maybe he would have played the dom thing differently

But seriously., What an asshole.

So dumb

Really not sure what was up with the libby votes. obv that group of 4 are a total clusterf*** and will expect them voting each other as soon as next tribal

Dom/Wendell might be target now really...however the preview pointing to wendell as a target suggests he isn't going anywhere.

They gotta start targetting the utrs...

but michael prob going home next, maybe libby
Old 04-13-2018, 05:38 AM   #19
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Really not sure what was up with the libby votes. obv that group of 4 are a total clusterf*** and will expect them voting each other as soon as next tribal

Perhaps they threw votes at Libby to make sure they did not get Andrew Savaged out of the game.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
chris even TRYING to make the idol more powerful was stupid.,
This part made at least a little sense. The choice came before the immunity challenge, so if he wins that it would be nice to keep his idol a little longer. And maybe if he gets lucky and extends its power for five votes or whatever it was, that opens up some new opportunities. Losing his vote wasn't that bad since there's so many people voting that you figure you're going to get them all or none.

But to hold onto the idol even when he knows it only lasts one more tribal, and after he's seen Dom play an idol to protect himself, was just insane. Even if he thought everyone was splitting votes and Wendell was the target, not protecting yourself against a surprise was just ridiculous. What a maroon.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If you enjoyed Wendell's "put down the pen" tribal, make sure you watch to the end of Chris's ponderosa video: Survivor: Ghost Island | Ponderosa #1 Chris - YouTube

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #22
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
This part made at least a little sense. The choice came before the immunity challenge, so if he wins that it would be nice to keep his idol a little longer. And maybe if he gets lucky and extends its power for five votes or whatever it was, that opens up some new opportunities. Losing his vote wasn't that bad since there's so many people voting that you figure you're going to get them all or none.

But to hold onto the idol even when he knows it only lasts one more tribal, and after he's seen Dom play an idol to protect himself, was just insane. Even if he thought everyone was splitting votes and Wendell was the target, not protecting yourself against a surprise was just ridiculous. What a maroon.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #23
LloydLungs
College Prospect

This season feels like a slow march towards the inevitable Wendell and/or Domenick victory. Only thing that will make it interesting is if they both wind up in the finals. Normally I'd think it would have to be one or the other but with the new fire-making thing, could be both, and I don't know who would win between them.

Our chance to see the game shaken up went up in smoke last episode when Laurel decided she'd rather be a zero-vote finalist than actually play the damn game. You can't wait until single-digits to make a move on them -- she knows they both have idols. The move has to be made at 11 or 12 and she tattled on the insurgents trying to make a move. It doesn't seem like she actually ever wants to try anything against them. Idiot.

Kellyn is so freakin cute but she is playing one of the worst games of Survivor I've ever seen, adjusted for era. It would've been fine in the first five seasons, but in season 36 it's jarringly out of place.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #24
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I finished up the 2017 season of Australian Survivor tonight.

I definitely enjoyed it. The majority of the players were likable and most of the players were there to play the game. I would definitely put in the top 10 for best Survivor seasons I've seen.

My biggest knock on it is that it's 26 episodes long with most of the episodes seemingly ranging from 50 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes long and some of the episodes no one goes home. The game is 55 days instead of 39 and has 24 players in it. It seemed to drag a bit just for the sheer length of it and not because of the lack of game play.

I heard the 2016 season of Australian Survivor isn't as good though.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Any predictions for tonight's finale?

It's obviously hard to see anyone other than Wendell or Domenick winning. The question is going to be whether both make the final, in which case we get a one-on-one jury showdown alongside a third player who'll get zero votes. Or do we see one or both get picked off before the final? That's how it should go down, and with Sebastien holding and extra vote they have a chance to make it happen. But it would be tough, given that both Wendell and Domenick still have idols (I think), and the fact that we're starting the final episode with six players left instead of five suggests the first tribal might be an anticlimactic one that couldn't carry a full episode on its own.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #26
LloydLungs
College Prospect

There have actually been some fairly epic final 6 tribals (Kimmi/Cambodia, Cirie/Game Changers?) that they've still shoved into the first half-hour of the finale. So that might not be a factor. We'll see.

I think Sebastian thinks Wendell and Dom are taking him to the end. Hence, I don't have my hopes up about the extra vote being any kind of factor. I think Laurel and Sebastian both think they're in Wendell/Dom's final plans. Only one of them is right. I think Donathan has figured out he is not. Oh yeah, Angela's still around too. Maybe neither of them are right.

Really Dom and Wendell should be aiming for each other at this point, but that is hard to do strategically now that F4 fire-making is a thing. That is the sort of two-some that you try and break up *specifically* at F4. If you do it before then, you're highly liable to BOTH be picked off before the finals and neither one of you wins. That plus the 10 million idols has had the effect of dulling the will of the players to make "big moves" that Probst loves so much. Unintended consequences.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #27
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Any predictions for tonight's finale?

It's obviously hard to see anyone other than Wendell or Domenick winning. The question is going to be whether both make the final, in which case we get a one-on-one jury showdown alongside a third player who'll get zero votes. Or do we see one or both get picked off before the final? That's how it should go down, and with Sebastien holding and extra vote they have a chance to make it happen. But it would be tough, given that both Wendell and Domenick still have idols (I think), and the fact that we're starting the final episode with six players left instead of five suggests the first tribal might be an anticlimactic one that couldn't carry a full episode on its own.

I would give the slight edge to Wendall over Domenick because it seems like he's played a slightly better social game (whereas Domenick seems to have played a slightly better strategic game) but I think it's a toss up. I'm hoping both make it at this point otherwise it will be a boring final tribal council.

Quote:
There have actually been some fairly epic final 6 tribals (Kimmi/Cambodia, Cirie/Game Changers?) that they've still shoved into the first half-hour of the finale. So that might not be a factor. We'll see.

I think Sebastian thinks Wendell and Dom are taking him to the end. Hence, I don't have my hopes up about the extra vote being any kind of factor. I think Laurel and Sebastian both think they're in Wendell/Dom's final plans. Only one of them is right. I think Donathan has figured out he is not. Oh yeah, Angela's still around too. Maybe neither of them are right.

Really Dom and Wendell should be aiming for each other at this point, but that is hard to do strategically now that F4 fire-making is a thing. That is the sort of two-some that you try and break up *specifically* at F4. If you do it before then, you're highly liable to BOTH be picked off before the finals and neither one of you wins. That plus the 10 million idols has had the effect of dulling the will of the players to make "big moves" that Probst loves so much. Unintended consequences.

I hope they get rid of the fire making challenge at final four (I also wouldn't mind them doing a final two some of the time too).

I agree with your point on idols.

In spoiler tags in case anyone intends to ever watch Australian Survivor 2017 (minor spoiler regarding idols):

Spoiler
Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, Sebastien's going to be called a dummy for how he went out, but it wouldn't have actually mattered, since Angie and Laurel both continue to mindlessly follow Wendell and Dom.

And I'd say Dom just moved solidly into the jury lead, thanks to that performance with the fake idol.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #29
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

once again fuck this game...
Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #30
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I like Wendell and all but seriously Dom really kicked ass that last 2 days.

Give Dom a mill too. FU Probst and Burnett
Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #31
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I like Wendell and all but seriously Dom really kicked ass that last 2 days.

Give Dom a mill too. FU Probst and Burnett

Honestly, I think it's splitting hairs on who played a better game between Wendell and Domanick.

I think Domanick probably ranked in the top 2 or 3 of all time (along with Parvati in Hereos vs. Villains and possibly Rob in All Stars) for best games played that lost a jury vote but I think the same could have been said for Wendell had Domanick won.

The two had the game on lock down since the merge and it's what made this a relatively boring season.

I found it interesting that Domanick won the votes of all five of the first jurors while Wendell won the votes of the final five jurors plus Laurel.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #32
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I think Domanick probably ranked in the top 2 or 3 of all time (along with Parvati in Hereos vs. Villains and possibly Rob in All Stars) for best games played that lost a jury vote but I think the same could have been said for Wendell had Domanick won.

Yup. I'd also put Ozzy's game against Yul in Cook Islands up there, but still behind Parvati/Dom. Spectacular game. I'd have voted for Dom to win, but it was very close. That's why it was a tie. Together their dominance of the game was Kim Spradlin-ian. Similar to that season, you also have the question of "How great were they?" versus "How stupid was their opposition?"

I think Kim's game in One World surpasses even Dom and Wendell because there was a strain of "I know I'm going to lose but I kind of WANT to lose to Kim" going on with her alliance mates. Here it was one notch below that, and it seemed to be just paralysis/nerves about making a damn move. I bet this season would've turned out differently if there was standard flat rate consolation money for all non-winners.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #33
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Honestly, I think it's splitting hairs on who played a better game between Wendell and Domanick.
This. I get why you might be disappointed that Dom didn't win, but Wendell deserved it too. There were two very good players this year (and only two), so having it come down to them was the right result even if it made for a bit of a boring stretch run.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Anyone else think of childish gambino everytime wendell was shown?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Saw something neat that I hadn't clued into the during the season: Chris had never actually been to tribal until the night he was voted out (due to immunities and a trip to Ghost Island), and he didn't have a vote that night, meaning he was part of the entire season in some form but never actually cast a vote until the final tribal.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #36
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That was VERY COOL that he was prodom after they fought all the time.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #37
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know the sister of a contestant of the next Survivor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #38
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I know the sister of a contestant of the next Survivor

That's pretty cool.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #39
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
That's pretty cool.

He had been previously on the Amazing Race
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #40
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Looking back, i wish Dom had chosen to go head to head with wendall at Firemaking.. It would have been 50/50 chance to win 1 mill as the other 2 were not beating anyone in the end.

Where as, having Angela try to beat Wendall at fire, leaves it in the hands of a jury where you never know how it's going to end and is less predictable.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #41
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

And Laurel would have been much worse.

because she would have lost and been on the jury so it would have been 6-4 for Wendell anyway
Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #42
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

definitely a meh season. fine with either Wendell or Dom winning. No one else was even remotely likeable all season.

really my favorite part was making fun of Sebastian as I watched. dude must have hit his head on an anchor a few times.

Reunion show seems to get worse each year. and shorter. The jury portion at the end is just painful to watch. Just give each jury member a chance to ask one question and be done with it.

I definitely thought Wendell reminded me of Donald Glover.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #43
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Looking back, i wish Dom had chosen to go head to head with wendall at Firemaking.. It would have been 50/50 chance to win 1 mill as the other 2 were not beating anyone in the end.

Where as, having Angela try to beat Wendall at fire, leaves it in the hands of a jury where you never know how it's going to end and is less predictable.
I wish he'd done it too, just for the drama, but I don't think it would have been the right move.

If you assume he's roughly 50/50 to win the fire-making and also roughly 50/50 to win the jury, then it's the right move to do it the way he did. If Angela has even a 1% chance of winning at fire (and she does, it's an unpredictable type of challenge) then that shifts the odds in his favor.

Plus I think Dom felt he was better than 50/50 in front of the jury, and maybe a little less than that at fire. So he made the right call. But if they keep this format, someday somebody is going to be in a situation where it makes sense to do it.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

Definitely a safer play to not put himself through the fire challenge. Though it obviously would have been fun to watch. I wanted Angela to beat Wendall just because he was superstitious about the color orange.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-30-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I wanted Angela to beat Wendall just because she was superstitious about the color orange.

She wasn't, he was.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Typo.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:16 AM   #47
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
She wasn't, he was.