Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2003, 04:28 PM   #101
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I was hoping this kid was going to Memphis.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:37 PM   #102
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
I was hoping this kid was going to Memphis.
Well, of D.T., Brandon, Thomas and James, I'd say D.T. would be "most likely to waffle." That being said, if D.T. were a TCY recruit, he'd be a Prestige* guy, and would be black or red coded for a place like Memphis.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #103
Ben E Lou

Dat boy run so good... (redux)

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...40826077.shtml

Story last updated at 11:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2004 Freshman Brown runs into mix
Notebook

By Marc Weiszer
[email protected]

Thomas Brown missed nearly two weeks of preseason practice with a pulled hamstring but apparently is making up for lost time.

The 5-foot-8, 185-pound freshman from Tucker High suddenly is very much in the picture at tailback after his impressive showings at practice this week including Monday's scrimmage.

"He got back in the scrimmage the other day and I was totally surprised," offensive tackle Daniel Inman said. "That kid right there is going to be something special."

"He doesn't seem to be intimidated by any thing," coach Mark Richt said. "He's got quicks, running skills and ball skills. I really like him. He's going to be a heck of a player." Whether Brown plays as a freshman could depend on the health of running backs Tony Milton (shin splints after leg surgery), Michael Cooper (heel) and Tyson Browning (hyperextended knee). Starting tailback Danny Ware is the only freshman who hasn't missed practice time.

"Some of it might have to do whether Milton really comes back in full speed," Richt said. "Will Tyson come back in time? Is Cooper going to be 100 percent healthy? Those may be a factor. Regardless of all of those other names, he's been impressive."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-26-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #104
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
"He doesn't seem to be intimidated by any thing," coach Mark Richt said. "He's got quicks, running skills and ball skills. I really like him. He's going to be a heck of a player. And even though I am not gay, watching him run gives me an erection."

Looks like that old man was right!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 AM   #105
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Are "all of those other names" freshman backs? If so, how?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #106
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
To get around scholarship limits, we have wealthy boosters legally adopt a few recruits right before their 18th birthday, then pay their college tuititon. Technically, they're all walk-ons.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:04 AM   #107
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

So where do you think he's listed on a depth chart? Have some of the others been reshirted? I thought with him being ranked as one of the few best backs in the country last year and UG's starter going down, that he had a chance for some serious playing time. The article doesn't really support that thought.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #108
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, they aren't. That's just an awkward sentence construction on the part of the writer. I believe the only other freshman in that group is Ware (the healthy guy).
Old 08-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #109
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
No, they aren't. That's just an awkward sentence construction on the part of the writer. I believe the only other freshman in that group is Ware (the healthy guy).

Gotcha, thanks. I thought of that possibility.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:34 AM   #110
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
To get around scholarship limits, we have wealthy boosters legally adopt a few recruits right before their 18th birthday, then pay their college tuititon. Technically, they're all walk-ons.

Gold.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #111
Ben E Lou

Quote:
So where do you think he's listed on a depth chart? Have some of the others been reshirted? I thought with him being ranked as one of the few best backs in the country last year and UG's starter going down, that he had a chance for some serious playing time. The article doesn't really support that thought.
That's a big question. If Georgia can get by with Cooper/Ware/Milton, then it might make sense to red-shirt Thomas and save that year of eligibility. However, there are other factors at work here:
  • Expectations are very high this year in Athens. If Thomas ends up being even a slightly better option, he'll play.
  • Thomas is a good student, went to school this summer, and will likely continue to go during the summers. He may graduate in four years.
  • Thomas is "going to be something special" on the field. Looking ahead, if he's graduated in four years AND has the chance to make the big bucks in the NFL right then, I'd say that the chances of him sticking around for year 5 and risking injury would be extremely minimal.
Up until now, he'd missed a week of contact drills, and was a true freshman. Everyone had been thinking '"red-shirt." Now that they've seen him in action, it sounds like thinking is about to be adjusted.

My guess is that barring injury he'll be getting significant work, if not starting, by midseason. I've seen Jabari Davis, Mack Strong, Garrison Hearst, Joe Burns and Patrick Pass (among others) as high school players. Thomas was ahead of every one of them in HS, and the last time I saw him up close (about 3 weeks ago), it looked like he'd gained another 5-10 pounds of muscle. I mentioned it elsewhere, but his power numbers are better than most of UGA's LB's and TE's, and comparable to many of the linemen. His power index (strength totals compared to weight) is THE best on the entire UGA roster; he's pound-for-pound the strongest player on the team, and (arguably) the quickest as well.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #112
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

This needs to be an available feature in TCY2.

Seriously.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:02 AM   #113
Ben E Lou

...From the AJC...

Another freshman rushes into picture

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 8/26/04

Athens -- Though freshman Danny Ware has solidified his status as Georgia's starting tailback, another freshman, Thomas Brown from Tucker High, has made a surge over the past week to make his case to be one of the primary backups.

"He's looked good. He was impressive again today," coach Mark Richt said Thursday. "He's catching people's eye."

Most noticeably Richt's. So much so, that any reluctance he might have about utilizing two freshmen at such a vital position in a season with national championship aspirations is rapidly eroding.

"I'm not afraid of anybody out there right now," Richt said.

Brown, a muscle-packed, 5-foot-8, 185-pound 18-year-old, has been the talk of practice this week among players and coaches. He scored two touchdowns in a practice game Thursday against a scout team of players emulating season-opening foe Georgia Southern to cap a highlight-packed few days.

"Thomas Brown, he was in the scrimmage the other day, I was totally surprised," starting offensive tackle Daniel Inman said. "That kid right there is going to be something special."

Said Brown, who broke his leg as a senior at Tucker but rushed for 941 yards and 17 touchdowns: "I've shown the ability to break tackles, hit the hole, I can pick up blitzes, catch the ball out the backfield. I can make things happen. That's the bottom line."

What could determine if Brown plays this season is his ability to understand the offense, particularly blitz pickups, a weakness in Georgia's backfield last season. He's shown the grit to stick his facemask into a surging linebacker's chest, but will he know what to do if a linebacker and cornerback rush from the same side?

"Reading the defense is the hardest part for me right now," Brown said.

To learn, Brown said he studies his playbook at every opportunity and he's been studying film to pinpoint flaws and tendencies.

Brown's out-of-nowhere burst comes after he missed roughly 10 days of practice because of a strained right hamstring. He is battling junior Tony Milton and sophomore Michael Cooper, last season's leading rusher, to get into the rotation.

Milton, recovering from surgery on his left leg, and Cooper (bruised left Achilles tendon) are not fully healthy, and junior Tyson Browning is out with a hyperextended left knee that could keep him sidelined through the weekend.

The level of competition among the tailbacks is expected to be relentless in the days leading up to the first game.

"Danny's No. 1," Richt said. "We're trying to find out who's No. 2."

As much as Brown as shown, there remains the possibility that he could be redshirted. There seems to be some sentiment among coaches not to burn off a year of Brown's eligibility in a season when he might touch the ball five times a game. However, there's no promise that won't be the case throughout his career at Georgia.

Ware will have three more years of eligibility after this season, as will Kregg Lumpkin, the projected starter whose season ended when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on the first day of practice.

"Whatever the coaches want me to do I have to accept it and go with it," Brown said. "I just wanted to make sure I gave myself an opportunity to prove myself to the coaches so I have a chance to play this year."

Old 08-27-2004, 05:08 AM   #114
Alf
Pro Starter

Brown, a muscle-packed, 5-foot-8, 185-pound

Me thinks he will be too short for the NFL, no ?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:19 AM   #115
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Brown, a muscle-packed, 5-foot-8, 185-pound

Me thinks he will be too short for the NFL, no ?
Yeah, probably.

BARRY SANDERS

Class of 2004

Running Back >>> 5-8, 203

(Oklahoma State)

1989-1998 Detroit Lions

Barry David Sanders. . .Detroit's first-round draft pick, 1989. . .Electrifying running style. . .First player to rush for 1,000 yards his first 10 seasons. . .Led NFL in rushing four times. . .NFL's MVP, 1997. . .Gained 2,053 yards including record 14 straight 100-yard games, 1997. . .Career rushing record: 15,269 yards, 99 TDs. . .First- or second-team All-NFL each of his 10 seasons. . .Selected to 10 Pro Bowls. . .Born July 16, 1968, in Wichita, Kansas.

Warrick Dunn #28
Height: 5-9
Weight: 180
Born: 01/05/1975
College: FloridaState
NFL Experience: 8
Old 08-27-2004, 05:19 AM   #116
Alf
Pro Starter

LOL : SkyDog, I wish him he has a barry sanders like career, plus a ring or two

EDIT : to add the rings

Last edited by Alf : 08-27-2004 at 05:23 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:28 AM   #117
Ben E Lou

That would be a bit much to hope for. I thnk everyone in Tucker would be quite proud for him to have for a Dunn-like career.

Incidentally, I think this may be a rare case of under-reporting. I think he's closer to 5'9" than 5'8". I usually measure in the 5'11" range, and here he is next to me...

Old 08-27-2004, 05:40 AM   #118
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
ncidentally, I think this may be a rare case of under-reporting. I think he's closer to 5'9" than 5'8". I usually measure in the 5'11" range, and here he is next to me...

So you usually measure 5'11'' . Anyway, I agree, he looks closer to your size than his 5'8''.

And a Dunn like career would make him a rich man already.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #119
Ben E Lou

No red-shirt for Thomas this year. 5 carries for 19 yards and a TD. One kickoff return for 18 yards. From what I saw yesterday, it appears that Richt views him as the #2 tailback right now.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #120
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Does that make true freshman 1-2 on the depth chart at RB?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:48 PM   #121
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
No red-shirt for Thomas this year. 5 carries for 19 yards and a TD. One kickoff return for 18 yards. From what I saw yesterday, it appears that Richt views him as the #2 tailback right now.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Yup.

Looks like "The Year of the Freshman" in the SEC, with Ware/Brown at UGA and the freshmen duo at QB for UT.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #123
Alf
Pro Starter

It's refreshing
Old 09-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #124
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Sure, if you count a guy who spent a semester at "Prep School" and a semester at UGA last year as a "true" freshman. The way that eligibility works for non-qualifiers strikes me as a bit odd.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:09 AM   #125
Ben E Lou

Thomas Brown - RB

RushingReceivingTotal2 Pt Conv
DateOpponentW/LScorePosAttYdsTDAvgRecYdsTDAvgYdsTDRunPass
Sep. 04Georgia SouthernW48 - 28RB51913.80000.019100
Sep. 18MarshallW13 - 3RB188104.51606.087000
Oct. 02LSUW45 - 16RB138116.20000.081100
TOTALS3618125.01606.0187200
Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #126
Ben E Lou

Darius Walker - RB

RushingReceivingTotal2 Pt Conv
DateOpponentW/LScorePosAttYdsTDAvgRecYdsTDAvgYdsTDRunPass
Sep. 11MichiganW28 - 20RB3111523.70000.0115200
Sep. 18Michigan St.W31 - 24RB269803.81303.0101000
Sep. 25WashingtonW38 - 3RB238113.50000.081100
Oct. 02PurdueL16 - 41RB196003.221608.076000
TOTALS9935433.631906.3373300
Old 10-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #127
korme
Go Reds

skydog, that is sweet that you know this guy. i want to say to my friends that I knew who he was. But then I don't want to explain "Tucker HS, how do I know this? Um see this Skydog guy, he's a dictator and he has a real life dynasty in Dynasty Reports... nevermind"
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:00 PM   #128
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
skydog, that is sweet that you know this guy. i want to say to my friends that I knew who he was. But then I don't want to explain "Tucker HS, how do I know this? Um see this Skydog guy, he's a dictator and he has a real life dynasty in Dynasty Reports... nevermind"
Old 10-03-2004, 06:04 PM   #129
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It's odd, because I find myself rooting for him and associating him with FOFC so strongly..

I was happy to see him run through that D-lineman for the TD yesterday.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:07 PM   #130
Ben E Lou

Actually, I posted those stats in the wrong thread. In the thread I was thinking of, we were talking about Richt's decision to promise Thomas that if he'd sign, there'd be no other RB's in the class. Some folks in the state weren't too happy, considering Darius Walker was the "other" in-state stud RB. The bottom line is that I think UGA was only going to sign one RB regardless.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #131
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

What school is Walker at?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #132
Ben E Lou

Notre Dame.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #133
Ben E Lou

Dola:

Honestly, I think if Walker had signed with Clemson, Auburn, Tech, Alabama, Tennesseee, etc., and not a Yankee team, none of the good ol' boys would have raised an eyebrow. After all, Georgia has so many good young backs with Cooper/Ware/Lumpkin/Brown. I think the fact that he went to Notre Dame caused more controversy.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-03-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:53 PM   #134
GrantDawg

Quote:
Dola:

Honestly, I think if Walker had signed with Clemson, Auburn, Tech, Alabama, Tennesseee, etc., and not a Yankee team, none of the good ol' boys would have raised an eyebrow. After all, Georgia has so many good young backs with Cooper/Ware/Lumpkin/Brown. I think the fact that he went to Notre Dame caused more controversy.

I disaggre. I know personsally I would have been more upset if he had went to Tennessee or Florida. Going to Notre Dame means he'll most likely never run over us.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #135
Ben E Lou

Yeah, but that's rational thought...
Old 10-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #136
GrantDawg

Quote:
Yeah, but that's rational thought...

Thank you. I so rarely get accused of rational thought on this board.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #137
tucker342
Pro Starter

Good to see that he's doing so well
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #138
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
Good to see that he's doing so well
Yup.

D.T. is struggling a bit...

2004 Troy Team Stats

Passing
Code:
NAME G ATT COM PCT YDS YDS/ATT YDS/G INT TD 1. Aaron Leak 50 960 480 50.0 6830 7.1 136.6 60 50 2. Jason Samples 5 1 1 100.0 27 27.0 5.4 0 1 3. D T Mcdowell 4 13 3 23.1 18 1.4 4.5 2 0 Totals 5 974 484 49.7 6875 7.1 1,375.0 62 51
Old 11-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #139
Ben E Lou

Ware hurt his knee early on, and Thomas has come up huge. He's got 120+ yards and 3 TD's on the day. Darius who?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #140
JeeberD
General Manager

That's awesome, it's great to see him doing so well.

Too bad he's only the third best true freshman running back in the country, though...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:38 PM   #141
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
That's awesome, it's great to see him doing so well.

Too bad he's only the third best true freshman running back in the country, though...
Second. He'd already moved up to sharing equal time with Ware, with better ypc and equal TD's, and Danny has shown a penchant for putting the ball on the ground. He turned it over twice today. I'm going out on a limb right here, right now: Danny Ware has seen his last day as the #1 TB at UGA.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #142
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh, I wasn't talking about Ware, I was talking about UNT's Jamario Thomas. The kid came in when last years national leading rusher Patrick Cobb got injured, and he hasn't looked back. He's leading the nation in rushing and has five game of over 200 yards out of the seven games he's played...

"Thomas finished the game with 203 rushing yards, giving him the NCAA Division I-A record for most 200-yard games as a freshman with five (breaking the record of four by Herschel Walker of Georgia and Ron Dayne of Wisconsin). He also became the only player in North Texas history to have five 200-yard games in his career and the only player in the nation to have five 200-yard games this season."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #143
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Second. He'd already moved up to sharing equal time with Ware, with better ypc and equal TD's, and Danny has shown a penchant for putting the ball on the ground. He turned it over twice today. I'm going out on a limb right here, right now: Danny Ware has seen his last day as the #1 TB at UGA.

I agree. I believe Richt has seen enough of Ware's fumbling, and would rather have a steadier hand against Auburn. Nevermind that Brown has looked better that Ware recently(who has been beat up). Now, if Brown can look good against a top 5 team, thats a different story .
Old 11-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #144
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ware hurt his knee early on, and Thomas has come up huge. He's got 120+ yards and 3 TD's on the day. Darius who?
Just got back from the game. Running on Kentucky really isn't something to be proud off. Our defense is just horrible and 6 players that were slated to be starters on defense before the season were out today. And it's nice to see George throwing bombs when they are up by over 30 points in the 4th quarter. Boy, talk about classy.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:56 PM   #145
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Just got back from the game. Running on Kentucky really isn't something to be proud off. Our defense is just horrible and 6 players that were slated to be starters on defense before the season were out today. And it's nice to see George throwing bombs when they are up by over 30 points in the 4th quarter. Boy, talk about classy.
When you jump offsides, and hit the QB late, after the whistle has blown, and after he's taken a knee, that's what happens.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #146
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

The center moved on that play.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #147
Ben E Lou

Some Kentucky fans don't even think the score was run up.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #148
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

who cares? it's any teams right to run up the score. Only serious whiners complain about that kind of shit. It's part of the game.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #149
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Ugg, I was forced to read that message board while FOFC was down. Many of these UK fans are really idiots. In the first quarter today they announced some students and the school president. The actually booed the school president (for what reason I don't know). Anyway, I'm glad FOFC is back up because that board is just depressing.

Anyway I'm not complaining about the scoring so much as throwing the bombs when they weren't really necessary. cthomer: I know it's any team's right, but really they were just embarassing us because they could. But I guess it isn't like we weren't already embarassed this season (losing to Ohio and all).
Old 11-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #150
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just saw Thomas Brown on College Gameday. Solid day, 3 TDs and all. A great year keeps getting better for him.

That's awesome.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote