Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they offered a reasonable amount of commercials in any of the music channels, but I would hope that they would lower the rates if they were going to switch to that type of financial model. Commercial free doesn't matter as much to me as having a wide variety of choices, and good reception.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't care at all about commercials. I tend to use my satellite radio the same way I use the TV - when a commercial comes on, I can choose from 1 of the other 200 channels to listen to. I rarely if ever hear a single XM commercial. And with some channels, I know the general format of the show and avoid certain times when I know commercials are likely to be going (especially ESPN and Comedy Channel).

About the only other thing I have to watch is surfing the uncensored channels. Saturday I came close to letting the young ones hear "FORTY FUCKING TWO!" as I surfed past Liquid Metal. It was a close call. I would have been meat.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-20-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #53
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

You guys have to be kidding about the commericials. This is the only reason I have satelitte radio. The only one.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The commercials don't bother me at all either. I listen to about 8-10 channels primarily. If a commercial comes on one that I'm listening to, I switch to another. I never hear commercials. The main benefit of satelitte for me is choice of programming and always having clear reception.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-20-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

I hope this means I will be able to listen to Tony Stewart's show on Sirius.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #56
heybrad
Norm!!!

Commercial free is a big deal to me. It's the main reason I can't listen to free radio anymore. This is nothing more frustrating than changing the channel 5 times only to have commercials on every channel.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #57
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Additionally, all of the non-music formats on XM run commercials sold by XM. I don't know how much money they generate, but I'm sure it wasn't insignificant.

The XM Kids station used to run commercials, too. Between Justin Roberts and The Imagination Movers, you'd occasionally hear an ad for Trix or Snackables. We complained a bunch - the DJs hated them, too - and eventually managemnt got rid of them.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #58
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Wait a second....

Hasn't Dish Network and DirecTV already tried this? I think the SEC was VERY clear on those merger implications before they shot it down. I don't really see how this is much different.

Also, I think the FCC has quite a bit of pull within the SEC - basically dictating to them how to handle the terrestrial radio mergers on the 90s - and they are going to be dead-set against any XM/Sirius merger, so I'm not convinced this is going to happen any time soon.

That's what I was thinking too, but I read an article last night that was saying the satellite merger really fell apart because there are places in the US that satellite was the only real option (no cable and no OTA options). The article was saying that's going to be a much harder case to make for satellite radio because of better coverage of terrestrial radio stations across the country. The same article I think mentioned that politically this was much more likely to go through now than if the merger were to take place a year to two from now.

I still wouldn't be surprised if this gets shot down, but I'm definitely no expert. It will be interesting to follow though and see what happens.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #59
Ksyrup

FYI, here's the email I received as an XM subscriber:

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #60
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Given that Hugh is getting kicked to the curb, dontcha thing they could have gotten someone relevant to write a letter to the subscribers?

Even if/when the merger bombs, he's certainly out of a job.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Additionally, all of the non-music formats on XM run commercials sold by XM. I don't know how much money they generate, but I'm sure it wasn't insignificant.

Actually, it almost certainly was insignificant. It wasn't meant to be, but that's how it turned out.

From day one, there have been problems getting the ads to sell at any meaningful price because the relatively low number of listeners on any given channel at a time. And when you're bleeding money at the pace the satellite companies have, it takes a pretty good chunk of change to become "significant".
Old 02-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #62
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You guys have to be kidding about the commericials. This is the only reason I have satelitte radio. The only one.

Word. I can't imagine ever subscribing unless it was commercial free.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting stats coming from the first Arbitron ratings to include satellite radio listening.

Press release yesterday on the first set of data included the following tidbits:
-- The sum all of listening reported to the 297 channels that received a mention amounted to 3.4% of all listening
-- Highest reported AQH for any channel was 0.2 percent, average for all channels mentioned was 0.009 percent
-- Roughly 5.6% of all diarykeepers reported listening to satellite at some point
-- While satellite listeners are heavier than average users of radio
(33 hours/wk versus 19/week for non-satellite), their reported listening showed more AM/FM use (14 hours) than satellite (10.75 hours) or internet (8.25)

Individual channel data was not released as the system is still being adjusted to accomodate that information.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #64
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
-- While satellite listeners are heavier than average users of radio
(33 hours/wk versus 19/week for non-satellite), their reported listening showed more AM/FM use (14 hours) than satellite (10.75 hours) or internet (8.25)

I would think a stat like this is slam-dunk proof that a merged XM/Sirius wouldn't be a monopoly.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I would think a stat like this is slam-dunk proof that a merged XM/Sirius wouldn't be a monopoly.

{shrug} Goes back to the question of what's being monopolized - satellite radio or radio et al.

And as I mentioned before, if they're considered part of the latter, then would have to be a strong look at making them subject to same/similar regulations to the former, otherwise the government is unbalancing the playing field.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #66
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
{shrug} Goes back to the question of what's being monopolized - satellite radio or radio et al.

And as I mentioned before, if they're considered part of the latter, then would have to be a strong look at making them subject to same/similar regulations to the former, otherwise the government is unbalancing the playing field.

What regulations are you referring to? I always thought satellite radio had similar regulations with a few differences like cable tv vs network tv.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
What regulations are you referring to? I always thought satellite radio had similar regulations with a few differences like cable tv vs network tv.

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is content, which has been largely unregulated for satellite radio.

I'm not against the merger per se, but if they want to avoid monopoly regulations by saying that they're "radio" instead of "satellite radio" then I strongly believe they should play under the same rules.

(and just FTR, that's a consistent belief for me, I feel the same way about cable/broadcast TV)
Old 03-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #68
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
The most obvious thing that comes to mind is content, which has been largely unregulated for satellite radio.

I'm not against the merger per se, but if they want to avoid monopoly regulations by saying that they're "radio" instead of "satellite radio" then I strongly believe they should play under the same rules.

(and just FTR, that's a consistent belief for me, I feel the same way about cable/broadcast TV)

ok thanks for the clarification. I don't necessarily agree they should have the same content regulations to be considered a direct competitor, but my gut feeling is they will have a hard road ahead to get this merger through.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #69
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

A few things to say on this in regard to other posts in this thread. I am a little slow on this because I was on the road.

So listening to Sirius on the road got me some information, the big stuff came mostly from Mel Karmizin when he was on Howard Stern. First off, Karmizin said prices will not go up, that would be counter subscriber growth. He even told Congress on Wed. that he would agree to a price cap. The merger is good for consumers, because they wouldn't feel they have to choose between two different services that offer two different things (mainly when it comes to sports, and then some talk shows). I agree with this. I would love to get baseball, but I won't give up what Sirius gives me to get XM for baseball.

He also said that they would remain commercial free on the music channels I believe, but that the talk would still have it as they do now on both XM and Sirius. (Talk shows pretty much NEED to have breaks, for the people talking and producing the show anyways)

As for Opie and Anthony, it was pretty much made clear that they would be gone when their contract was up, unless they decided to go exclusively satellite.

The arguement for if it is a monopoly is a good one in my opinion, but I am no expert. He argues that Satellite radio is not only in competition with regular radio, but also MP3 players and internet radio. I can buy that, and in that case I can see how they also wouldn't need to be censored as regular radio as JimG talks about. That is the sales pitch anyways, who knows if the government will buy it all....

Someone else who brought up something interesting was Martine Rothblatt, who is considered the inventor of satellite radio I guess. She used to be a he actually, and also invented the system that tracks my work life (commercial vehicles) and started a company that cured his/her daughters life theatening illness. Anyways, he said that satellite radio was meant to be on a certain frequency, and that when Sirius was started the government thought there should be atleast two companies so they split that frequency. The merger would actually allow the new company the full frequency, which would improve satellite radio....another positive for consumers. One of the things that this will make easier is for video to be sent over the satellites, straight into peoples cars. Pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by Cringer : 03-03-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #70
Ksyrup

Not really news, more propaganda supporting the merger, I suppose. Anyone heard anything about the merger recently?

Merged satellite radio companies would offer channel choice

July 23, 2007 (WASHINGTON) - The top executives at the nation's two satellite radio companies detailed pricing plans Monday that they said would let customers choose which channels they want to receive if the two firms are permitted to merge.

XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio announced the $4.7 billion merger last February. The combination requires approval from antitrust regulators and the Federal Communications Commission.

The pricing plans announced Monday range from $6.99 per month for 50 channels offered by one service to $16.99 per month where customers would keep their existing service, plus "chose from the best" of channels offered by the other service.

That means a customer could subscribe to both the Major League Baseball channel on XM and the National Football League channel offered by Sirius, on the same radio.

Currently, the price of a monthly subscription for both companies is $12.95 and there is no channel choice, or "a la carte" option.

A combination of Sirius and XM, which broadcast to a combined 14 million subscribers, faces steep regulatory challenges, however. When the companies received their licenses from the FCC to begin offering subscription radio service via satellite, they agreed not to merge.

The companies must prove to the Justice Department that the deal is not anticompetitive. They must also prove to the FCC that a merger would be in the best interest of the public, which owns the airwaves the two companies use to deliver their signals.

Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin, in a speech at the National Press Club in Washington on Monday, said the U.S. is in a "revolutionary age of audio entertainment" and that the companies must compete with a whole range of products that weren't around when the licenses were first issued.

He said the companies compete with free services, including portable digital music players, cell phones that download music, digital radio and the "800-pound gorilla" that is terrestrial radio.

The National Association of Broadcasters opposes the merger, calling it a "government-sanctioned monopoly."

Spokesman Dennis Wharton said in a written statement that policymakers "should not be hoodwinked" by the announcement. He said the "a la carte" option would require customers to buy new radios and he said that nothing in the past has prevented either company from offering an a la carte option before.

Karmazin noted that the NAB itself claims satellite radio is a competitor when it lobbies the FCC to loosen limits on radio station ownership. He said the NAB is "not just in conflict with us, they are in conflict with themselves."

Karmazin said savings to be realized with a merger would amount to "hundreds of millions of dollars per year" thanks to a drop in expenses. Such a savings is what would make the "a la carte" packages possible.

He noted that Sirius has never turned a profit in its 17-year history and lost $1 billion last year, but insisted if the proposed merger does not go through, nothing will change.

"I believe both companies will be able to compete in a robust market," he said.

If a merger is approved, the combined company would offer a total of eight different packages.

The lowest-priced "a la carte" package would offer 50 stations from one service for $6.99 per month, plus additional non-premium stations within the service at 25 cents apiece. Premium programming, however, like professional sports and the Howard Stern show, would cost $5 or $6 more.

A second "a la carte" plan would let customers tune in to 100 channels, mostly from one service, plus a handful of "best of" channels on the other service, for $14.99.

Both the a la carte packages would require the purchase of a new radio, the companies said.

Other packages would include family friendly lineups, a music package and a news talk package, both for $9.99. Customers happy with their existing service would still pay $12.95 per month.

Consumer groups have opposed the merger.

Chris Murray, senior counsel at Consumers Union, the nonprofit publisher of "Consumer Reports" magazine, called the announcement an "interesting positive development." However, he said, the merger of the two companies would still result in a monopoly, which would ultimately be bad for consumers.

Sirius and XM hope to close the deal by the end of the year.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I thought one of the key phrases in the whole announcement today was the bit about "A la carte programming will only be available for subscribers using new radios, which will be developed following approval of the merger."

In other words, we'll give it to you cheaper in the long run if you'll just give us some quick cash up front.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #72
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not really news, more propaganda supporting the merger, I suppose. Anyone heard anything about the merger recently?

I saw on SatNews, I think this morninig, that Cardinal Egan (of New York) wrote an opinion piece in the NY Post about how he supports the merger.

I think it was also there that I read that when they seek public comment, the FCC is usually leaning towards approving things. I don't recall when the public comment period closes, though.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #73
Anthony
Banned

i firmly believe satellite radio is worth about $7, as opposed to the $12 i currently pay. the sound quality is poor, reception is not satisfactory, a handful of stations play commercials (on XM) and overall i want more selections than is currently given. lots of channels, yes, but not lots of stuff i would listen to.

$7 month for hopefully better quality sound and choosing 50 channels (i don't even like more than 20 channels on XM, but the 5 stations i do like i really love) is a deal for me. i don't listen to sports on the radio so i'd be happy not to pay for something i didn't use. XM should be charging $7 a month right now anyway and they'd see subscribers increase. they shouldn't have had 2 companies to begin with, a fledgling medium first needs to show it's viable and a good enough alternative, then you can branch off into separate companies with different options (why should i choose between XM with MLB or Sirius with NBA/NFL? give me both, make me convert and then screw me over afterwards, after i've got used to being a satellite customer). you also have to give people a good reason to pay for something they can get for free. satellite radio got a little too ahead of itself and now it seems to want to go back to how it should have been all along.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #74
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i firmly believe satellite radio is worth about $7, as opposed to the $12 i currently pay. the sound quality is poor, reception is not satisfactory, a handful of stations play commercials (on XM) and overall i want more selections than is currently given. lots of channels, yes, but not lots of stuff i would listen to.

$7 month for hopefully better quality sound and choosing 50 channels (i don't even like more than 20 channels on XM, but the 5 stations i do like i really love) is a deal for me. i don't listen to sports on the radio so i'd be happy not to pay for something i didn't use. XM should be charging $7 a month right now anyway and they'd see subscribers increase. they shouldn't have had 2 companies to begin with, a fledgling medium first needs to show it's viable and a good enough alternative, then you can branch off into separate companies with different options (why should i choose between XM with MLB or Sirius with NBA/NFL? give me both, make me convert and then screw me over afterwards, after i've got used to being a satellite customer). you also have to give people a good reason to pay for something they can get for free. satellite radio got a little too ahead of itself and now it seems to want to go back to how it should have been all along.

There's always the option to not pay, and listen to normal radio for free.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #75
BigMak
n00b

Quote:

I am very happy with the selection Sirius offers. The Howard Stern lineup is great and I think the music choices are very good. It is much better than anything I can hear on terrestrial radio. I have no problem paying $12 a month for the service. I originally signed up for Stern. When he leaves radio, I will keep Sirius. I could never go back to listening to the music choices on free radio.

I am not happy with the merge and do not think I will pay $16 for Sirius and some XM channels. The only thing XM has which I would listen to is MLB. But baseball is a regional sport and I can listen to my teams on AM.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #76
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak View Post
I am not happy with the merge and do not think I will pay $16 for Sirius and some XM channels. The only thing XM has which I would listen to is MLB. But baseball is a regional sport and I can listen to my teams on AM.

The only way I'll be happy with the merger is if I can avoid getting a new head unit for my car. My (new) car came equipped with Sirius, and I've been slacking (just haven't had time to do it) on taking out the head unit and replacing it with an XM unit. I, however, am an XM subscriber, so this causes problems for my XM listening (right now I'm using a Delphi SkyFi2 which I hate).

I went with XM for baseball. Unfortunately, I'm a Red Sox fan and I live in the DC area so unless they're playing the O's or the Nats (interleague), the only way I can get Boston games is through XM. If I can keep my current lineup of channels (the XM lineup that is) and not change my head unit, mega bonus for me. If I can't change my head unit...well, it's really no different than where I was when I bought the car, needing to do so.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #77
Ksyrup

I'm sure, like most things, my experience/preference is completely different than most, but my feeling is that I do not care about having portable satellite radio, nor do I care about having it in the house, and the only way I'll have it in the car is if the car comes equipped with it. I'm not replacing the pre-installed stereo unit. I seriously considered getting a separate unit for my wife's van, but after looking at the cost, the size of the unit, the issues I've read about getting good reception basically mandating that someone install it directly into the radio wiring, and the problem of finding a place to put it on the dash that is convenient but not in the way...I couldn't justify paying over $200 for the honor of paying an additional $7 a month. We have an Odyssey, and I couldn't find a single place to put the unit that wouldn't have been in the way of something on the dash, or getting direct air/heat, etc.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm an insignificant minority or what, but I'm past the days when I would tear up my car to put in a good sound system, and I'm WAY past the days when I would have my portable CD player bouncing around on a stand hanging off of my dash (which is what this reminds me of). Unless it comes with the car, I'm simply not interested.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #78
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

ping: assholes in the DOJ and FCC

Time to wake up already.

Quote:
When Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. announced their plans to merge, no one expected the process to be easy. But what I don't think anyone expected, was for the process to take so long.

Oh sure we knew there was trouble when the preliminary review process dragged on to the point that it earned the dubious distinction of the longest application-to-clock delay in FCC history. But that simply meant that the Commission was dragging its feet in starting its unofficial shot-clock - a timeline that made no difference anyway, since the FCC blew past the deadline regardless.

But the Department of Justice had already begun its process long before. XM and Sirius even certified their compliance with the DOJ's Second Request back in early September, causing industry experts to predict a decision as early as October (the Second Request compliance usually triggers a 30-day clock).

So here we are, 342 days later, and still no decision in sight.

Take a look at the graph above, mergers with far bigger valuations and/or far more monopolistic concerns, were decided upon earlier than the XM-Sirius merger. That graph illustrates the length of time from when a merger was announced, to when a government body actually made a decision.

And remember, Sirius-XM haven't had a decision yet, so that red bar will continue to grow.

It's sad, because in the case of Whirlpool-Maytag, the washer/dryer market was consolidated to a 70% share and it was ultimately approved by the FTC. In the case of Whole Foods-Wild Oats, the FTC charged that prices could go higher, while quality and service could get reduced - but that deal ultimately went through - in almost half the amount of time that Sirius-XM have been in limbo.

Need more examples? The FCC approved the AT&T-Bellsouth merger (valued at a whopping $85 billion - Sirius/XM is estimated to be 10% of that), which controls 22 states, and includes local phone service to 70 million residents - in some states, it made AT&T the only choice for business access services. Google's purchase of DoubleClick combined the two largest online advertising distributors - which was criticized for hurting competition by two companies that are no stranger to antitrust concerns: Microsoft and AT&T - and it was ultimately approved as well.

Even EchoStar-DirecTV, arguably the most similar to the Sirius-XM merger - and was ultimately denied by the FCC - took less time to come to a decision than the satellite radio merger.

Echoing the sentiment of others: it's time for the government to come to a decision. Whether it be to approve or deny the merger, the DOJ and the FCC need to stop stalling, and start acting. Not only investors, but also consumers and especially employees, of both Sirius and XM are suffering at the expense of the government's indecision. And this constant state of speculation needs to end.

Make the decision, and let's move on.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #79
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The DOJ woke up and cleared the deal today. The merger is still pending FCC clearance.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-24-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #80
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I heard this a little bit ago, very good news.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #81
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The only real way the combined company is going to be able to save money is to drastically cut down the workforce. That's probably going to mean that many many people at XM will be losing their jobs, including most of the on-air talent - since Mel would be foolish not to keep his own guys in place.

That would mean the gang at XM Kids losing their jobs, and that makes me very sad.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #82
Ksyrup

That's what I'm a bit worried about. I like Liquid Metal, Da Boneyard, and XM's uncensored comedy channel. Does Sirius have anything like these? I'm hoping they keep the channels from each that would fill holes in each other's programming, but I assume that one set of similar channels will be shut down.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #83
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's what I'm a bit worried about. I like Liquid Metal, Da Boneyard, and XM's uncensored comedy channel. Does Sirius have anything like these? I'm hoping they keep the channels from each that would fill holes in each other's programming, but I assume that one set of similar channels will be shut down.

Sirius has the same stuff.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I am sure that's the plan. They will pick and choose among the best channels of each and make sure they have all their bases covered. Obviously there will be some overlap and some of those shows will get cut. A lot of the cost savings will also be through reductions in work force unrelated to what's on the air (e.g., sales people, technicians, execs, etc.)

It will be interesting to see what they do pricing wise. On one hand, they can't just raise prices willy-nilly. The DOJ can come back and bring suit forcing the companies to unwind the deal. (FTC recently won a suit against two hospitals that merged in Chicago a few years ago. They initially cleared the transaction, the combined hospital rose prices, and the FTC swooped in and brought suit. The hospitals did not end up getting split, but there were some remedies enforced.)

That said, the new XM/Sirius will be offering a product that has a lot more programming than either did individually. One would have to think that the ability to get Howard Stern, Oprah, and all the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL games would be worth more (and cost more to provide), so some price increase would undoubtedly be justified, if not necessary.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #85
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That said, the new XM/Sirius will be offering a product that has a lot more programming than either did individually. One would have to think that the ability to get Howard Stern, Oprah, and all the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL games would be worth more (and cost more to provide), so some price increase would undoubtedly be justified, if not necessary.

This is from an article I posted above from last July:

"The pricing plans announced Monday range from $6.99 per month for 50 channels offered by one service to $16.99 per month where customers would keep their existing service, plus "chose from the best" of channels offered by the other service."

I assume this means that in order for me to get the NFL, I'll have to pay another $4/month. However, it's interesting that they refer to "50 channels offered by one service" and to "keeping their existing service," which suggests that they would be offering duplicative channels, doesn't it? If this is still on the table, you can't cut the rock channels of one service and only have rock channels of the other. Or, if they do that, then the "choice" is largely illusory, and you've basically got to go with the combined, higher price package to truly get a wide range of channels.

Either way, I think just to cover all the sports, we're going to be paying around $17/month.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-25-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #86
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This is from an article I posted above from last July:

"The pricing plans announced Monday range from $6.99 per month for 50 channels offered by one service to $16.99 per month where customers would keep their existing service, plus "chose from the best" of channels offered by the other service."

I assume this means that in order for me to get the NFL, I'll have to pay another $4/month. However, it's interesting that they refer to "50 channels offered by one service" and to "keeping their existing service," which suggests that they would be offering duplicative channels, doesn't it? If this is still on the table, you can't cut the rock channels of one service and only have rock channels of the other. Or, if they do that, then the "choice" is largely illusory, and you've basically got to go with the combined, higher price package to truly get a wide range of channels.

Either way, I think just to cover all the sports, we're going to be paying around $17/month.

I don't have either service. How does the $17/month compare to what you're paying today?

While I am not familiar with the details, I don't think the pay for sports packages idea is a bad way to go. I'd be willing to shell out some extra cash for the NHL and NFL, but I don't think I'd want to spend money on the MLB or NBA.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #87
Ksyrup

On either service, the cost is $12.95/month right now.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #88
Anthony
Banned

i'm game for anything that lowers the price. the sound quality is horrendous and going under bridges severely hampers the signal. it's worse than radio which is alarming since satellite is a pay service. some of the pop stations on XM play the same songs on heavy rotation, sometimes at the same time which is not justifiable. XM even has some channels that has commercials. satellite radio has a loooong way to go to compete with radio, let alone ipods. charge less and i'd be happy. for $13 a month i can essentially download 13 songs per month or one album off itunes.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #89
Ksyrup

Being able to listen to as much baseball and college football as I want while driving, and getting ESPN Radio and other talk/news stations without loss of signal while driving hundreds of miles across the country, is worth $13/month to me. And I also like the metal/comedy channels, which give me stuff I wouldn't otherwise hear. Aside from that, I really don't listen to any of the other channels.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #90
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
i'm game for anything that lowers the price. the sound quality is horrendous and going under bridges severely hampers the signal. it's worse than radio which is alarming since satellite is a pay service. some of the pop stations on XM play the same songs on heavy rotation, sometimes at the same time which is not justifiable. XM even has some channels that has commercials. satellite radio has a loooong way to go to compete with radio, let alone ipods. charge less and i'd be happy. for $13 a month i can essentially download 13 songs per month or one album off itunes.

the sound quality is really good if you use the right setup

transmitting to your fm radio via and unused frequency is the worst option

I can't speak for XM but on Sirius not one music channel has any commericals.

Satellite radio is superior to terrestrial radio. At least Sirius is. Maybe XM is different. Dunno.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #91
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
On either service, the cost is $12.95/month right now.
I'm paying $8.99/mo. on all my XM subs.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #92
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From today's Tom Taylor newsletter (from radio-info.com)

So the DOJ approves XM+Sirius: Now, what conditions will the FCC squeeze out of them?

Yesterday afternoon the Department of Justice issued its opinion – that it won’t try to block the merger of the only two satellite radio licensees. Now the cameras and the floodlights are on the Portals, where the FCC is the last obstacle Mel Karmazin and Gary Parsons must overcome. Unlike the situation at Justice, the FCC has the ability and the inclination to exact changes, in the form of conditions. Sirius boss Mel Karmazin thought he’d gone a million miles in that direction with last year’s pledge to offer the merged service – but only the merged service – with “a la carte” pricing. He knows that Chairman Kevin Martin adores that approach and devoutly wishes he could impose it on the cable industry. But forces both inside the Commission (the highly vocal Commissioner Michael Copps) and outside (including the minority investment firm Georgetown Partners) want more, in exchange for approval. We now know that Georgetown has met with various folks at the FCC literally dozens of times, asking for some kind of set aside for minority programming. We don’t know if it’s proposing that some of the merged company’s equity be shared, or simply that its programming be more diverse. Last week Martin said he’s at the stage of asking his staff to draw up options for XM+Sirius. But that a decision’s unlikely any time here in March. So – XM and Sirius wait. And they lobby. The NAB’s indignation was immediate: “We are astonished the Justice Department would propose granting a monopoly to two companies that systematically broke FCC rules for more than a decade.”
Old 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #94
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
the sound quality is really good if you use the right setup

transmitting to your fm radio via and unused frequency is the worst option

I can't speak for XM but on Sirius not one music channel has any commericals.

Satellite radio is superior to terrestrial radio. At least Sirius is. Maybe XM is different. Dunno.

that's what i do - play XM through certain unused radio stations. i'll have to look into this now cuz i'm open to making any improvements.

the potential of satellite radio is great, as is having commercial-free radio and access to a vastly larger selection of music. that is worth paying for. if i can get the sound quality to improve or at least have the signal remain more consistent i'll be happy.

this is the best move for satellite radio. i always said 2 companies vying for the same infant service is too much. they should've focused on getting as many subscribers as possible, then after the model proved to be successful and profitable could you introduce other companies and options. but satellite radio was too young to make people start having to decide between Stern and O&A and NFL and MLB. what if i wanted O&A and NFL (which i did)? i'm really hoping for some creative price plans where i pick and choose which stations i want. that'd be great.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #95
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We now know that Georgetown has met with various folks at the FCC literally dozens of times, asking for some kind of set aside for minority programming. We don’t know if it’s proposing that some of the merged company’s equity be shared, or simply that its programming be more diverse.

WTF? Is there not enough channels geared toward Native Americans on satellite radio or some other minority? I know it can't be because of a lack of black or hispanic stations......
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #96
Ksyrup

LOL at mandatory minority programming on a paid subscription radio service.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #97
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
that's what i do - play XM through certain unused radio stations. i'll have to look into this now cuz i'm open to making any improvements.

the potential of satellite radio is great, as is having commercial-free radio and access to a vastly larger selection of music. that is worth paying for. if i can get the sound quality to improve or at least have the signal remain more consistent i'll be happy.

this is the best move for satellite radio. i always said 2 companies vying for the same infant service is too much. they should've focused on getting as many subscribers as possible, then after the model proved to be successful and profitable could you introduce other companies and options. but satellite radio was too young to make people start having to decide between Stern and O&A and NFL and MLB. what if i wanted O&A and NFL (which i did)? i'm really hoping for some creative price plans where i pick and choose which stations i want. that'd be great.

I used to use the fm transmitter but the static was driving me bonkers. I bought a car tape deck adapter that plugs into the Sirius unit and bingo, perfect reception.

Now if you don't happen to have a tape deck in your car you there are a couple other options(at least on the sirius unit). You can utilize an input port on your stereo if you have one with an adapter a la an mp3 player or you can even wire the thing directly to your radio if one was so inclined to.

Anywho, that eliminates static. Bridges, you'll have to tear them down to fix that one.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #98
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
LOL at mandatory minority programming on a paid subscription radio service.

Sirius has like 10 rap channels and ESPN Desportes. Does that count?

And Korean News. I'm pretty sure Koreans aren't in the majority over here.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #99
Anthony
Banned

shouldn't they determine, first, if there is a large enough of a minority-base actually paying for satellite radio before they lobby for minority-centric stations? without sounding racist i would readily assume there aren't a lot of minorities paying for satellite radio. this is like demanding there be more stations geared towards WWII vets.

and what do they mean by this anyway - there are stations that play urban music, world music and spanish stations. they must mean they want more minorities in positions of power.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #100
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Bridges, you'll have to tear them down to fix that one.

that's an option i'm not taking off the table. my musical enjoyment is more of a priority than mass transport.