Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #351
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Great game. Inexplicable play-call at the end.

I think everyone expected New England to call time out once they got to the one. But Belichick didn't, and the Seahawks just didn't think it through properly.

With 25 seconds left and a time out, you have to run the ball. If they stop Lynch (unlikely), then call the time out and get Wilson out of the pocket on third. Pretty much anything but throw a quick slant into traffic.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #352
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I think everyone expected New England to call time out once they got to the one. But Belichick didn't, and the Seahawks just didn't think it through properly.

With 25 seconds left and a time out, you have to run the ball. If they stop Lynch (unlikely), then call the time out and get Wilson out of the pocket on third. Pretty much anything but throw a quick slant into traffic.

I still can't wrap my mind around what the Seahawks did there...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #353
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Great game.. I can respect the Seahawks for one hell of a game, that came down to the end..

But the Pats homer in me wants to rail about the classless jerks that seem to play for the Seahawks. Pretend you're dropping your pants after a touchdown? Sherman mocking Revis on the sidelines after they run a ref pick to free someone for a touchdown? Start a fight when you've lost? Seahawks acted like thugs.

But wow, what a game, what a crazy fucking game. lowest of lows (Helmet catch part 2), highest of highs (Butler INT)
Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #354
Travis
Pro Rookie

Welp, hell of a comeback by the Pats. As a Seattle fan I had confidence that they'd score on that final drive, but in the end, it was the injuries to Lane (and subsequent ownage of Simon) and Avril (after which Bennett wasn't able to get nearly as much penetration) that were two of the biggest factors in the D not being able to put the game away before needing the big drive at the end.

As for the final play, yeah, I'll never agree with that call. Carroll is saying it was his call due to the D in on that play vs the personnel the Seahawks had in, but whether he's telling the truth or taking it for the team (ie: Bevell actually made the call), there is no excuse for not just lining up and giving it to Lynch there.

On the plus side, the team that takes the field in week 1 next season will be better than the one on the field today and that's very encouraging. Between injuries and the Harvin situation, there were some pretty fundamental holes in the lineup and yet they were still just one play away from winning it all this year.

So damn close.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #355
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I think Wilson could have walked in on a naked bootleg.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #356
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I think Wilson could have walked in on a naked bootleg.

Yup.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #357
Kodos
Resident Alien

Congratulations to the Patriots. Whoever called that last pass will be haunted for the rest of their life. Why go against your best strength with the game on the line?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #358
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was wrong, DT should've been here to balance out all of the haters dominating the thread.

Glad it was a memorable game for all of the football fans out there. I love seeing Kurt walk out with the trophy.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #359
Atocep
Coordinator

Not sure why the Seahawks are taking such heat for "starting" the fight. I've watched the replay several times and from what I see the Pats players took offense to the Seahawks actually trying on a victory formation play. Can't say I blame the Seahawks players there, but what seemed to escalate things was the open handed punch by Gronk to the back of the Seahawks player's head.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not sure why the Seahawks are taking such heat for "starting" the fight. I've watched the replay several times and from what I see the Pats players took offense to the Seahawks actually trying on a victory formation play. Can't say I blame the Seahawks players there, but what seemed to escalate things was the open handed punch by Gronk to the back of the Seahawks player's head.

First thing I saw of the scrum with the shove to the face of Gronk.

If it turns out NE started the (wine) bar fight, I'll throw them under the bus no problem.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #361
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I dunno.. I can understand them being disappointed they didn't win, but I dunno if throwing your coaches under the bus like this is a good thing:

Terence Moore ‏@TMooreSports 23m23 minutes ago
I’m in the Seahawks locker room. Wow. Talking about despair! Those who can speak are freely ripping that last play call. Big time
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #362
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Let's go Evil Empire!

So, FOFC, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #363
BYU 14
Coordinator

I would have run it with timeouts left, but to be fair, the Seahawks were lucky to even be in that situation. New England outplayed them for most of the game, but taking advantage of the mistakes New England made allowed them to lead and a fluke play but them in position to win.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #364
sabotai
General Manager

Looking back through the game, a little bit of a what if game: What happens to the rest of the game if Lane doesn't intercept Brady near the end of the 1st, it ends up being a TD pass, but Lane stays healthy for the rest of the game. That pick was huge at the time, but New England picked on his replacement the rest of the game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #365
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There was a gut punch loss jinx in the NFC. The Lions passed it on to the Cowboys, who then passed it to the Packers, who then gave it to the Seahawks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #366
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I dunno.. I can understand them being disappointed they didn't win, but I dunno if throwing your coaches under the bus like this is a good thing:

Terence Moore ‏@TMooreSports 23m23 minutes ago
I’m in the Seahawks locker room. Wow. Talking about despair! Those who can speak are freely ripping that last play call. Big time

Well not all of them though it may not fit the narrative.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #367
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
First thing I saw of the scrum with the shove to the face of Gronk.

If it turns out NE started the (wine) bar fight, I'll throw them under the bus no problem.

Gronk had shove into the facemask of Bruce Irvin that really got things going. Gronk took a shot from behind and then followed that up with a shot to the back of a Seahawks player's head. Then all hell broke loose.

I don't think either team can really point fingers on that one. I also don't really see it as an indictment of either team. That may be the biggest emotional swing we've seen in a Super Bowl.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #368
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Seeing the highlights, I would say that the Seahawks catch on that last drive was among the best. I can imagine that it felt like déjà vu all over again.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #369
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I would have run it with timeouts left, but to be fair, the Seahawks were lucky to even be in that situation. New England outplayed them for most of the game, but taking advantage of the mistakes New England made allowed them to lead and a fluke play but them in position to win.
Really? The Pats were down 10 with 8 minutes to go. For the game, I thought the quarterback play was about even (although Wilson started slow) and Seattle had the more effective running attack. I fully credit the Pats with earning the lead at the end, but never thought the Seahawks had lucked into anything until the miracle catch on the last drive.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #370
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Really? The Pats were down 10 with 8 minutes to go. For the game, I thought the quarterback play was about even (although Wilson started slow) and Seattle had the more effective running attack. I fully credit the Pats with earning the lead at the end, but never thought the Seahawks had lucked into anything until the miracle catch on the last drive.

+1
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #371
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kudos to Pete for taking the heat. But that's surely on Russ.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #372
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yes, it was a stupid play call, but firing him would be equally stupid. This is the guy that got you one play from the Super Bowl.

Sorry but I disagree. I am in IT senior management in a C-level position for large global corp and have seen a number of instant firings over one big screw like letting a outsourcing of a data center contract auto renew when it should have been canceled costing millions in wasted money. Big mistakes cost people big time that goes with getting the big bucks at time. I don't think they should shit can the guy but if they did it won't surprise me. In Seattle this guy will probably keep his job but in the big time college football like the SEC or in the NFL -Boston, New York he would be gone baby gone!

Last edited by Galaril : 02-01-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No surprise but ... do ya think maybe you give him 24 hours to decompress first?
(Jet reportedly ready to depart & head for Atlanta)

Dan Quinn to Atlanta for Falcons introduction - ESPN
Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #374
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No surprise but ... do ya think maybe you give him 24 hours to decompress first?
(Jet reportedly ready to depart & head for Atlanta)

Dan Quinn to Atlanta for Falcons introduction - ESPN

Could have been worse. They could have hired Bevell. That would be a awkward press conference.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Could have been worse. They could have hired Bevell. That would be a awkward press conference.

Congrats. You just got repurposed into my FB status
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #376
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I still can't wrap my mind around what the Seahawks did there...

I don't know the Seahawks well, but from what I've seen they're a team that isn't afraid to take some chances (like going for the TD in the first half, for example). Right or wrong, it didn't feel all that out of character for them.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #377
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Man, I like the Seahawks and really like Sherman but you can't talk shit about another DB when the only reason the completion is made was because the ref couldn't get out of the way and picked Revis.

Also, that Doug Baldwin TD celebration was classless. I don't mind toilet humour and don't really care if he does something like that in a meaningless regular season game, but the Super Bowl?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #378
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Crotch grabbing and poopy mime sound exactly like something Carroll would encourage.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #379
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It felt to me that Seattle really only played well (at least offensively) for about 15 minutes in the entire game, starting at about the 5 minute mark in the 2nd quarter until the 5 minute mark in the 3rd.

In fact, outside of those 15 minutes, they only had 3 first downs all game before their final drive.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 02-01-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #380
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #381
Subby
lolzcat

If I am starting a team today I want Sherman, Lynch, Edelman, and Gronk. Those are four of the most badass football players I have seen in my lifetime.

What an incredible game.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #382
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I didn't say they lucked into it the lead, they took advantage of mistakes, but over the course of the game were outplayed. Two big pass plays, the two turnovers, and the fluke catch. (which is what put them in position to win) Their run game was much better inside the red zone, but again not completely dominant between the 20s.

Not taking anything away from them, but New England was more consistent throughout the game. As Carman said, they really only had one effective stretch and New England moved the ball well most of the game.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-01-2015 at 11:59 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #383
nol
Banned

Fun game. I happened to miss the part where all the heroic sportswriters who took a crap on Marshawn Lynch turned on Goodell for not speaking to the media.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:14 AM   #384
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looking at the tape, Lockett has to make that play. He was basically wide open but he didn't want it as bad as the defender. Obviously there was the interception risk and the risk of that getting tipped up, but the receiver needs to make that play.

That all being said, it was an unnecessary risk. a boundary throw would have been a much better idea*

*edit, if you want to throw

Last edited by stevew : 02-02-2015 at 08:21 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:43 AM   #385
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I was wrong, DT should've been here to balance out all of the haters dominating the thread.

Glad it was a memorable game for all of the football fans out there. I love seeing Kurt walk out with the trophy.
You said it, Bucc.
I'm just here for the football, have no preference of any of the 32 teams winning and were just happy the best two teams made it to the Super Bowl and played a competitive and entertaining game.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #386
Danny
Head Coach

I've always liked manning over Brady, but really at this point when looking at their place in history, I have to give the nod to Brady over manning. Though I do feel mannings playoff critique has been over stated.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #387
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I've always liked manning over Brady, but really at this point when looking at their place in history, I have to give the nod to Brady over manning. Though I do feel mannings playoff critique has been over stated.

The team wins the games. Manning is the better overall QB, but the rings make the legends...and its 3 to 1.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #388
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The team wins the games. Manning is the better overall QB, but the rings make the legends...and its 3 to 1.

Stop not giving credit where credit is due....it's 4 to 1.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #389
Dutch
"Dutch"

C'mon, man, I'm from Florida, I lose count after 1. Gotta give me credit for being close.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #390
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I didn't say they lucked into it the lead, they took advantage of mistakes, but over the course of the game were outplayed. Two big pass plays, the two turnovers, and the fluke catch. (which is what put them in position to win) Their run game was much better inside the red zone, but again not completely dominant between the 20s.

Not taking anything away from them, but New England was more consistent throughout the game. As Carman said, they really only had one effective stretch and New England moved the ball well most of the game.

I thought both teams did what they do pretty well thoughout the game. Refs stayed mostly in the background which helped. Then one crazy lucky pass play was counterbalanced by one inexplicable play call.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
C'mon, man, I'm from Florida, I lose count after 1. Gotta give me credit for being close.

I am a Floridian as well. I I am also a member of some very sensitive fan bases. That sort of inaccuracy could be an issue
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #392
Butter
Coordinator

So, does everyone go insane about this last play call if Collinsworth doesn't call it the dumbest play call he's ever seen?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #393
corbes
College Benchwarmer

In FOF parlance, it sounds to me like the Patriots pulled an "extremely familiar" out of their hats on that inside slant.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #394
Logan
Head Coach

I don't even think Carroll's explanation makes sense. You don't want to run it on 2nd down because of the defense you're facing, and you plan to run on 3rd/4th...what defense do you think you'll see there?

If you're set on throwing it, rolling out Wilson quickly with a WR driving to the pylon is a great choice there and gives Wilson the option to keep it or throw it through the back of the end zone.

eta: Or play action, obviously.

Last edited by Logan : 02-02-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #395
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, does everyone go insane about this last play call if Collinsworth doesn't call it the dumbest play call he's ever seen?

I think so. He's really saying what we're all thinking. He's just doing it the way that color commentator way where every game, every play, every player is the best, biggest, worst of all time thing that they all do.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #396
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Yes. It was a pretty horrible call. I was wondering if Belichick was going to call a timeout and let him run it in, then wondering why he wasn't calling the timeout and then was shocked that Lynch didn't get the ball.

That said, Butler made a hell of a play on it. He didn't luck into that int, he had to make it happen. The horrible call is overshadowing that, understandably.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-02-2015 at 08:11 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #397
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Of course if that pass had been completed we'd probably be saying things like Bevell and Carroll are brilliant, how courageous of them to shuck when everyone thought they would jive, etc.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #398
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Edit: completed to the correct team.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #399
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Of course if that pass had been completed we'd probably be saying things like Bevell and Carroll are brilliant, how courageous of them to shuck when everyone thought they would jive, etc.

I 100% don't believe that.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #400
Logan
Head Coach

I've made the same dumb throw in countless Madden/NCAA games.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote