Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

google music manager

My ever so brief attempt to be helpful(and sorry if this is already common knowledge).

Anyways, so you have all this stuff on iTunes all paid for and ripped, but you decided to buy an android phone. Or you have an android tablet and an iPhone(or vice versa). Or you have a Mac but use an android phone..

So I recently found "Google Music Manager" which will allow you to upload your iTunes Library to your Google account. You can then, on your android device, open up the Play app and download or stream your whole iTunes library on your android device. Sure you can just straight up paste or sync to your phone directly but this is like a million times easier.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Interesting. I've never been an iPhone guy, always Android, but I'm thinking of making the switch strictly because of the music compatibility. I think I'm the last guy in the gym that still carries an iPod + phone
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My ever so brief attempt to be helpful(and sorry if this is already common knowledge).

Anyways, so you have all this stuff on iTunes all paid for and ripped, but you decided to buy an android phone. Or you have an android tablet and an iPhone(or vice versa). Or you have a Mac but use an android phone..

So I recently found "Google Music Manager" which will allow you to upload your iTunes Library to your Google account. You can then, on your android device, open up the Play app and download or stream your whole iTunes library on your android device. Sure you can just straight up paste or sync to your phone directly but this is like a million times easier.

I haven't bothered to upload my iTunes stuff but I have used Google Music Manager to download stuff from Play, especially with the free albums. If you don't use GMM, you get two downloads of the stuff, ever. If you use GMM, you can download them as much as you want.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
nol
Banned

Confirming that this is a good way to go. I originally used it just to back up my iTunes, but in addition to saving several steps in the process of getting music on my phone it's great to be able to listen to my music from any computer.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You don't gotta limit yourself just to what's on iTunes. All your music can be uploaded. Free for 20,000 songs.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

How does the 2 download thing work? It's the one thing holding me back.

I'm in a weird spot where I've got some music from iTunes, some I downloaded like 15 years ago, and some from Amazon and Google Play. I'm looking for a place to put it all on that I can access it from my phone and tablet.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How does the 2 download thing work? It's the one thing holding me back.

I'm in a weird spot where I've got some music from iTunes, some I downloaded like 15 years ago, and some from Amazon and Google Play. I'm looking for a place to put it all on that I can access it from my phone and tablet.

The two-download thing applies to direct downloads from the web. If you use Google Music Manager, there aren't, so they say, any restrictions on the number of times you can download rather than just stream.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess my question is how it works with my phone/tablet. Lets say I upload all my music. Now if I download it to my phone and tablet, that's my 2 downloads? Or I guess I could just stream it?

It's not a big deal because I keep my music stored locally on external hard drives but it would suck to only be able to download that music twice to my devices.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-28-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
nol
Banned

Quote:
I guess my question is how it works with my phone/tablet. Lets say I upload all my music. Now if I download it to my phone and tablet, that's my 2 downloads? Or I guess I could just stream it?

Once you upload it, you can listen to it on as many devices you want through the (free) Google Play app.

That's in contrast to something like iTunes, where even if you spent money for the song you're limited in the number of devices that can listen to the song.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Once you upload it, you can listen to it on as many devices you want through the (free) Google Play app.

That's in contrast to something like iTunes, where even if you spent money for the song you're limited in the number of devices that can listen to the song.

Is the Google Play app all streaming though or can I play the songs locally? I'm just thinking of times where I have crappy reception.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Easy Mac

You can download songs to your phone for offline play.

The downloading limit only limits the number of times you can download songs you buy from Google Play from the web browser.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
nol
Banned

Quote:
Is the Google Play app all streaming though or can I play the songs locally? I'm just thinking of times where I have crappy reception.

AFAIK you can stream everything when you have connectivity and you can also listen to certain playlists locally. I haven't actually created any playlists on Google Play, but I just shut off data and internet on my phone and it seems like everything that would be classified as "recently played" (a couple hundred tracks, some of which are hour-plus mixes) is still accessible.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

It's not a big deal because I keep my music stored locally on external hard drives but it would suck to only be able to download that music twice to my devices.

The download limit, such as it is, should only apply to purchased downloads executed via the web browser. Any downloads you do via the app don't count towards your limit. So if you use Chrome or whatever on your phone to download the songs, that would ostensibly count. If you use Google Play to download them to your phone, you should be fine.

And you can always stream.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All of your music becomes available via the Play Music App(on phone tablet) once you upload and sync with GMM on your PC. This includes Amazon, play store, iTunes, CD rips, napster, torrented stuff, shit you bought from All of MP3, etc.

You can save this stuff via the app on your device. And you can stream stuff you didn't store locally.

For example. I ripped a CD yesterday in itunes, uploaded it to Google Music Manager On my Mac.

When I left for work I opened up the play app on my phone and streamed said CD in car. Then I also clicked the button to save locally so next time I hit WiFi it saved to my device.

Last edited by stevew : 01-28-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

That's great. How come this service doesn't get more attention? It seems great for anyone with Android.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So RM, open GMM on your PC, upload the contents of your HDD to GMM. Then open play app on your phone and you can stream anything you have and then can also store frequent listens locally.

2-Download limit applies to songs bought from the Google play Store
Old 01-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
britrock88
Pro Starter

Hmm... and for those of us with more than 20k songs in their libraries...?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

be selective?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Basically .

I mean they are offering you free uploads for 20k songs!