Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
lanruz234
Banned

How do you all evaluate defensive backs in FOF8?

Nothing is exact science with FOF but I feel like I have a sense of correlation between ratings and performance. E.g. a RB with high HR, elusiveness and endurance can deliver good YPC, linebacker with good run defense and PD will give decent TK %.

But defensive backs are tough. I have seen high rated cornerbacks allow lots of catches, <80% pass defense percentage. This leads to my team having the 30 - 31st ranked defense even with decent players and decent pass rush (Pictures can be found here - Album — Postimages. I tried uploading here but it kept failing).

Also looking at some of the MPs, some of the good defenses have 40 or worse rated DBs and still do fine.

Just curious as to how you guys evaluate DBs. Thank you

Last edited by lanruz234 : 04-09-2021 at 03:38 PM.
lanruz234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
MIJB#19
Coordinator

To me, PD% isn't a good metric to judge your individual defensive players. If your star CB 'allows' a 10-yard catch on 3rd and 15, it will be bad for his own and the team's PD%, it will also be bad for gross pass defense numbers, but it was still a good play because he made a crucial tackle. Your star CB actually allowed the catch because of his skills, not in spite of. Same applies when the offense had a good play. One of your defenders will have to be at the spot to make the tackle and as a result forced to 'allow' a catch (and more than average times it will be your star CB). We really have no way to tell whether the CB made a bad play or did the best he could do: not commit PI on a perfect throw, but do make the tackle to keep a deep thrown completed pass from turning into a high YAC play.

So, all I care about is having the right bars for the right coverage called for that player's position in the called package/formation. You can still make the wrong defensive play call and get burned, or just run into a better offense (as equally talented offense will beat the defense), but I care about getting my defensive players in their best spot and the other way around to get the best players on roster in the right roles.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
lanruz234
Banned

Thank you. I appreciate the different perspective especially regarding the PD% as that has been my go to stat for DBs. It sort of makes sense though that the DBs that win the season awards tend to have a good number of tackles. Maybe they were doing a good job preventing a catch from becoming a TD.

Glad to know I am not going crazy because I can't figure out that position. I'll take your suggestions into my next season. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
BradS
n00b

Also go to bottom of game log and see all player grades. If your DBs are grading well hard to be too critical.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Those players look fine, I reckon you have a gameplan issue. I'm no expert, but I'd expect better aggregate outcomes from those CBs.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
So, all I care about is having the right bars for the right coverage called for that player's position in the called package/formation. You can still make the wrong defensive play call and get burned, or just run into a better offense (as equally talented offense will beat the defense), but I care about getting my defensive players in their best spot and the other way around to get the best players on roster in the right roles.

What MIJB and Quik posted are key. You need to match the DBs coverage skills with the proper pass defensive scheme. For example, if you prefer to run a lot of press coverage, build your roster with CBs who have better BnR bars. Also, analyze what coverage the DBs are in depending on the scheme. In a cover-3 cloud, the LCB is in man coverage. Hence, a dominate M2M bar is useful. But the sky scheme is different.

Read the Defensive Philosophy Guide and study the game logs. This is how solid MP GMs have success with DBs that look marginal.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
lanruz234
Banned

Thanks QuikSand, MIJB and Dawgfan19. That may be where I am messing up. Could very well be a gameplanning issue but I don't gameplan myself oops. I let Rex do it. I only play SP for now and I think it might be give me an advantage since the other teams can't. I'll definitely read more about defensive guide, game planning, try that for one season and note the differences.

Thanks all

Last edited by lanruz234 : 04-11-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
Ronmun29
n00b

As mentioned, a lot is getting the right guys in the right positions... I play a lot of M2M inside my defense 15YL for example...the package I use for those goal line defenses has CBs who are fair-to-slightly below in zone coverage, but highly rated in man coverage, and also, luckily, in INT...their numbers probably would look not too great, in use generally, but using them there, both of them have high PD, and even in limited use, both this season have 2 int apiece... it's like a puzzle, just plug in the right piece in the right place...that "corner" piece...pardon the pun...that won't fit in the middle, can be huge in the right place.
Ronmun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
Laconic1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Also go to bottom of game log and see all player grades. If your DBs are grading well hard to be too critical.

Just curious, where is this type of log where you can see player grades. Is it visible when you rex? Thanks
Laconic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #10
ronm613
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic1 View Post
Just curious, where is this type of log where you can see player grades. Is it visible when you rex? Thanks

In the sim window after the week games are played, by each game there are two clickable "windows" the first is sort of a "super box score" and the second is a play by play log...
Both are very helpful in analysis...the grades are at the bottom of the first.
ronm613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
Blue_shift
n00b

In my opinion your problem is probably those man bars. Two of your three guys are not great in man coverage, which can create a lot of problems (as others have mentioned, even in Cover-x zone schemes your CBs are often in man while your Safeties are deep). You say you're rexing your gameplans, so my best guess is Rex is calling plays that have your CBs in man (ie. Cover-2, which has the two deep safeties in zones and two CBs in man), and 2/3 of them are not-so-hot in it, so you get dinged a lot since your CBs are sitting in man and that's not their strong suit. Based on that I would recommend running more press coverage, since all your CBs seem to have good BNR bars.

Personally, I tend to look for balanced coverage bars.I don't really like to specialize in one kind of coverage, so I try to make sure my CBs are competent in whatever kind of coverage I wish to call. I tend to value Man most out of the three since many coverages involve CBs in some kind of man coverage and I find that gives me a lot of flexibility.
Blue_shift is offline   Reply With Quote