Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2021, 09:43 PM   #201
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

Also, WTF happened in our beach volleyball. One second the ref overturns a call to make it 12-12, the 2 minutes later reverses the reversal and we're down 11-13.

I used to love watching the beach volleyball. Now I rarely see it and can't really get into it without any storylines to follow. I hate this 12 hour time difference. The 2016 were so much better IMO.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-31-2021 at 09:46 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:46 PM   #202
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wonder how McEnroe would fare today, to what extent his antics would be tolerated.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:48 PM   #203
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I wonder how McEnroe would fare today, to what extent his antics would be tolerated.

Haha! Im guessing he would be suspended most of the time and wouldnt have been nearly as popular as he was in the early 80s.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:59 PM   #204
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I care more about Djoko acting like that in an Olympic event. If he loses it at the French Open it doesnt bother me at all. The tennis players that get down and just retire bug me.

Anyway, tough crowd. First Simone and now Djoko. Two athletes that many consider the best ever(personally I like Federer much more but think Djoko is better all around for GOAT discussion) at their sports.

It's amusing watching my mother watch Joke-O play. She HATES him with a passion. She tells me that EVERY single match, whenever he starts to lose, he says he has to go into the clubhouse or whatever and makes the opponent wait....it's all bush league psyche stuff. Like Jesus accused Walter and The Dude of in bowling.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 PM   #205
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
It's amusing watching my mother watch Joke-O play. She HATES him with a passion. She tells me that EVERY single match, whenever he starts to lose, he says he has to go into the clubhouse or whatever and makes the opponent wait....it's all bush league psyche stuff. Like Jesus accused Walter and The Dude of in bowling.

Haha! Certainly between the trio of Djoko, Nadal, and Federer its not difficult to pick out the bad guy of the bunch. Now when Murray(prior to his huge injury) and Djoko would play they are both easy to cheer against so....

Its always hard to see Nadal/Federer play. I hate when either of them two lose. And when they do lose they are so classy about it. I can't cheer against either of them.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-31-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:19 PM   #206
tarcone
Coordinator

Jeez,I wonder why Trump won.

A white dude cannot have a mental breakdown, but a black girl can.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:25 PM   #207
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

For fuck sake. Keep that name out of the Olympic thread.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #208
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Got robbed in the relay. The Aussies appeared to jump early twice with no call.
An interesting stat that one of our commentators mentioned about that race was that Australia's combined time on changeovers was 0.4 seconds whereas the USA's combined time was 1.4 seconds.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:44 AM   #209
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

He can't? Guy is worth hundreds of millions, has lucrative endorsements, and plays in whatever tournament he wants. What are you whining about him not being able to do?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #210
RainMaker
General Manager

Does Rohan Browning have a chance at medaling or do most of the top sprinters tale it easy in the preliminary races? A guy with a mullet being fastest in the world seems fun.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:00 AM   #211
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22
In situations like this I feel it is better to focus on the person and the career. These are all time greats so they have proved they are mentally tough enough to compete at the highest levels so if they are having additional struggles I am going to take the side of the athlete. They have proved themselves to be able to handle all sorts of different issues.

I think this just shows that mental health is complicated and has many facets to it. It's not just 'you're mentally tough or you aren't'. Biles and Djokovic have both obviously been world-class in their disciplines and that requires certain mental aspects, pressure-handling to achieve, etc. That doesn't mean they can't also have breakdowns in other mental areas. Also, no human is a machine. A difficulty/breakdown at one time does not invalidate performance at another time.

Djokovic has had anger issues before. That's a part of his makeup, and it's cost him on occasion. He also has performed incredibly in tense, extended, high-pressure matches. So there's just both aspects present, and mental health/toughness isn't something anyone can turn on and off like a light switch. Reality has more nuance than that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #212
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think this just shows that mental health is complicated and has many facets to it. It's not just 'you're mentally tough or you aren't'. Biles and Djokovic have both obviously been world-class in their disciplines and that requires certain mental aspects, pressure-handling to achieve, etc. That doesn't mean they can't also have breakdowns in other mental areas. Also, no human is a machine. A difficulty/breakdown at one time does not invalidate performance at another time.

Djokovic has had anger issues before. That's a part of his makeup, and it's cost him on occasion. He also has performed incredibly in tense, extended, high-pressure matches. So there's just both aspects present, and mental health/toughness isn't something anyone can turn on and off like a light switch. Reality has more nuance than that.

Surely you're not implying here that the tension/competition breakdown that Djokovic had and the physical/mental disconnect that Biles had were related to the same thing?

Don't you ever run down a flight of stairs and suddenly get worried that your body will forget what it's doing and you'll end up falling because you missed a step? Happens to me all the time. I'm sure that Biles has tumbled so much that a lot of her standard moves are pure muscle memory at this point. Now add in the more complex additions to those moves and if the brain just 'loses' how it's supposed to do those things there's not much you can do until it 'finds' that spot again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #213
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Surely you're not implying here that the tension/competition breakdown that Djokovic had and the physical/mental disconnect that Biles had were related to the same thing?

Only in the sense that they are related to the very broad topic of neurological function. I thought I was being pretty clear that mental health has a wide variety of facets and they are all different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Don't you ever run down a flight of stairs and suddenly get worried that your body will forget what it's doing and you'll end up falling because you missed a step?

No I haven't, but I'm not in the 'blaming Biles' camp here. I don't think she did anything that should be criticized, as I said previously.

Ofc, I am likely to fall because I'm a natural-born uncoordinated klutz, but that's an entirely different issue.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-01-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #214
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Incidently, if you are talking about Djoko withdrawing from the olympics as part of his mental breakdown and comparing it to biles...
Biles stated clearly she was withdrawing because of mental issue. Djoko is saying he is withdrawing because of a shoulder injury. So not at ALL the same thing. If he is withdrawing because of his mental issues, he is not even admitting it.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #215
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't in any way say they were the same thing, and I wasn't talking about Djokovic's injury at all - I was talking about his anger issues. I said as much in my post?

I really don't get where these reactions are coming from.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #216
PilotMan
Head Coach

Settle down Sally.

I was clarifying since you were the one that used them both in your post.

But mental health as in depression/anger issues isn't really in the same realm as brain/body muscle memory. But yes, absolutely they both involved brain function as you deftly pointed out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #217
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I didn't in any way say they were the same thing, and I wasn't talking about Djokovic's injury at all - I was talking about his anger issues. I said as much in my post?

Im with you.

I didnt see any anti-Simone sentiment in your posts.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #218
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I mean it certainly could have. Simone was talking to about feeling like she was carrying the weight of the world on her back and the pressure to be the GOAT.

I mean Djoko's situation isnt much different. Clearly the big favorite to win and anything less is a failure. With that said, it would really shock me that Djoko would find the Olympics so overwhelming as I would think the Wimbledon and US Open finals would be much more pressure and the Olympics would be kind of a cakewalk for an athlete like Djoko.

They may have had different issues but they could be both related to the same pressures as mental issues show up in different forms. I think Brian said as much in a much better way.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-01-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #219
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Don't you ever run down a flight of stairs and suddenly get worried that your body will forget what it's doing and you'll end up falling because you missed a step?

Never this particular issue but I remember a sporting event the first game of my junior year where I was putting extra pressure on myself after losing a bunch of very productive starters from the previous year. I felt miserable and shaky the entire game. It was pretty awful.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-01-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #220
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I mean it certainly could have. Simone was talking to about feeling like she was carrying the weight of the world on her back and the pressure to be the GOAT.

I mean Djoko's situation isnt much different. Clearly the big favorite to win and anything less is a failure. With that said, it would really shock me that Djoko would find the Olympics so overwhelming as I would think the Wimbledon and US Open finals would be much more pressure and the Olympics would be kind of a cakewalk for an athlete like Djoko.

They may have had different issues but they could be both related to the same pressures as mental issues show up in different forms. I think Brian said as much in a much better way.
Not quite, Novak Djokovic has made no secret of the Olympic gold being a missing prize in his all-time great resume. But his mindset might already be on winning the US Open to complete a calendar Grand Slam, not to mention that the Wimbledon final that he won recently got him up to par with Federer and Nadal at 20 grand slam titles each, that must have done something to unconsciously loosen up a bit. And he's got plenty of consolation prizes already, including an Olympic medal, 3rd or 4th wasn't much different to him, it seemed. Which still isn't an excuse to throw around your racquet.

Which reminds me: why are some sports (boxing, judo, to name a couple) allowed to hand out two bronze medals, when they can easily throw the duo into the ring, onto the mat or whatever one more time to decide who deserves the bronze, just like the tennis world has been forced to do in the last 20 years after initially having shared bronze as wel. Shared medals are for when people actually competed and miraculously had the exact same performance (not going to spoil that one, but there was at least one of those today), I saved a picture of the triple silver medal from Rio 2016 with Laszlo Czeh, Chad Le Clos and Michael Phelps.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #221
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I wasn't talking about you sorry.
I saw something about it above in general tho. the "you" was THE ROYAL YOU!

(dut ta da daaaaaaaaaaa)
Old 08-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #222
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I really think the pressure for djoko was winning that Golden Slam.
THe thing where he wins every open AND gold at the olympics. No man has ever done that...only one WOman
named

Spoiler

Djoko could get some special kind of slams if he finds a close Denny's....but the GOOD Denny's.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 08-01-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:28 AM   #223
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

To follow up on the comments on NBC's coverage (or horribleness thereof)

You're not alone:
NBC paid $7.75bn for its Olympic rights ... and we got televisual vomit | Tokyo Olympic Games 2020 | The Guardian
Old 08-02-2021, 05:28 AM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

You're not alone:
NBC paid $7.75bn for its Olympic rights ... and we got televisual vomit | Tokyo Olympic Games 2020 | The Guardian

But nobody here is the target audience for the NBC coverage (nor has anyone here been the target for any U.S. network's Olympic coverage for somewhere around 30 years or more)

You know who they're trying to get? My wife ... who (thanks to some serious insomnia issues) has watched this shit nearly around the clock since the games began.

She won't watch 90-95 percent of these sports again until the next Olympics, but she can tell me random bullshit trivia about the various competitors in this one.

This is strictly about attracting casuals and ultracasuals, the ones who watch Lifetime and Bravo and whatever the hell else they'll go back to watching once things wrap in Tokyo.

Why? Because there's more -- a LOT more -- of those people than there are people who actually give the slightest tiny shit about the vast majority of events at the Olympics. And attracting those people are the only hope the network -- any network -- has of justifying the complete insanity of the rights fees. Without them, this is lucky to be on The Ocho.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #225
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

You're not alone:

with CORN!
Old 08-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #226
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I've been watching most things on NBCOlympics.com

I've found it much more satisfying than the televised coverage that skips so many athletes. For example, you can watch the field events and see every throw/jump instead of just the few that they show in between running events.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #227
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I've been watching most things on NBCOlympics.com

I've found it much more satisfying than the televised coverage that skips so many athletes. For example, you can watch the field events and see every throw/jump instead of just the few that they show in between running events.

oooooo thanks! gotta watch that
Old 08-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #228
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Breaking! Coillette from Robonia is the first transexual robot to compete in the Olympics!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 08-02-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #229
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Hail, Hail Robonia, a land I didn't make up!
Old 08-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #230
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox
I saw something about it above in general tho. the "you" was THE ROYAL YOU!

It's all good. Misunderstanding #EleventyBillion on teh internets filed away. Both responses coming back-to-back just had me thinking we were headed for another round of 'great, here comes more Galaxy Brain BS'.

Glad to be wrong about that.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:52 AM   #231
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Big Win for the USA Basketball team against Spain. Semifinals vs Argentina or Australia.

(you know, I really wish that we could set the teams up in DDS PB or NBA2K, and watch it play out, especially with past teams.. how would the Dream Team fare against the current USA)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:04 AM   #232
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Big Win for the USA Basketball team against Spain. Semifinals vs Argentina or Australia.

(you know, I really wish that we could set the teams up in DDS PB or NBA2K, and watch it play out, especially with past teams.. how would the Dream Team fare against the current USA)

Dream Team 1 by 15-20. The current unit has trouble rebounding against Spain. They would really struggle against David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, and Charles Barkley.

I do think Durant would cause a matchup problem that could be exploited but Dream Team 1 is just vastly superior in almost every area. Also, with international rules the wing defense of Pippen and Jordan would cause a lot of turnovers and frustration of the current wings.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-03-2021 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:50 AM   #233
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Australian athletes left behind vomit and a hole in the wall in the Olympic village.

Need jokes about this...STAT!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 08-03-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #234
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Then maybe you should start a Kangaroo court
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #235
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

This is why you don't travel with stingrays.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #236
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The 400 meter hurdles races for both men and women were just outstanding.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #237
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wow those wqorld record hurdler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #238
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I was really hoping USA would lose. Through the first half they were losing big and getting rejected everywhere!
Old 08-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #239
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watching the heptathlon. Ive fallen for Emma Oosterwegal.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #240
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry, can't do a HoN on her.

Checked out her pics. They're all related to her sport.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #241
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just like saying "Femke Bol"
Old 08-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #242
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Sorry, can't do a HoN on her.

Checked out her pics. They're all related to her sport.

That only added to it. She doesn't have those Insta honey shots that are so trashy.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #243
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I just like saying "Femke Bol"
There's really nothing special about her name, although I suspect the English speaking announcers will manage to butcher it.

Quote:
Watching the heptathlon. Ive fallen for Emma Oosterwegal.
Now this one, I can see why it get's butchered (and misspelled, apparently ), because even in Dutch it's barely pronounceable.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #244
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Race walking is possibly the dumbest sport.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #245
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Trampoline...Beach Volleyball...Wall Climbing....take your pick

I still say Beach Volleyball is the worst
Old 08-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #246
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

I haven't seen a lick of this, is there a judge to make sure people aren't walking too fast?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #247
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Femke Bol...Femke Bol...Femke Bol...
Old 08-06-2021, 12:46 AM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I haven't seen a lick of this, is there a judge to make sure people aren't walking too fast?

Not "too fast" exactly but "according to the rules"

Quote:
Race walking differs from running in that competitors must keep at least one foot in contact with the ground at all times. Violation of that rule is known as ‘lifting’. Walkers must also keep their their advanced leg straight as their trailing leg moves past it.

Judges stationed on the race route monitor whether athletes are abiding by these rules, and will hold up paddles for ‘loss of contact’ and ‘bent knee’ - marked with the symbols ‘~’ and ‘<‘, respectively - to offending competitors. A walker is then disqualified if they receive three such warnings.

Rule breaking must be visible to a judge’s naked eye, making it possible for athletes to escape a warning for lifting as long as the loss of contact with the ground is brief enough.

According to Iñaki Gómez, a Canadian race walker who finished 13th in the men’s 20km event at London 2012, “Your eye can catch anything that is slower than 0.6 seconds, so the quickest lifter is going to be okay within the rules. You have to push the envelope, you want to be on the edge.”
Old 08-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #249
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Wrastling final

Spoiler

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-06-2021 at 09:20 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #250
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not "too fast" exactly but "according to their rules"

We likened it to people rushing to the bathroom for 3 hours. or how Elsa walks when she lets her hair down in Frozen.

I wanted them to just play the Bee Gees in the background the whole time.