Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #451
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Who is signing with the Lakers?

I actually went into the offseason hoping the Lakers would end up with an Aldridge or a Love and some other good piece to get them to at least playoff contender level, as it would make competing with them that much more interesting as a Clips fan.

But now that it appears they may be on the outside looking in on a lot of guys, I'm not too upset.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #452
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Guess Tyson is going to help the Suns pitch Aldridge. Would be a fascinating team if they could nab him too.
Still gonna be shocking if LMA doesn't go to San Antonio.

Celtics signed Amir Johnson 2/$24 and Jonas Jerebko 2/$10... Ummm.... Should've just offered Tobias Harris 5/$90

I guess Dallas and LAL both have to be all-in on DeAndre Jordan at this point. That Mavs pick the Celtics own looking a little better.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #453
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I guess Dallas and LAL both have to be all-in on DeAndre Jordan at this point. That Mavs pick the Celtics own looking a little better.

And even with DJ, they can't match the Clips on money or term, nor do they offer him continuing to play with his best friend.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #454
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And even with DJ, they can't match the Clips on money or term, nor do they offer him continuing to play with his best friend.
Remember 12 hours ago when Lakers fans (and front office) thought they were gonna get LMA and DJ? That Lakers pick Phoenix traded for Knight back to looking like a lottery pick.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #455
nol
Banned

Quote:
Remember 12 hours ago when Lakers fans (and front office) thought they were gonna get LMA and DJ? That Lakers pick Phoenix traded for Knight back to looking like a lottery pick.

It was a lottery pick no matter what. Consider how entrenched most of the West playoff teams are and then remember that Oklahoma City is the first team to replace whoever ends up slipping (and the Jazz are probably next based on how they played once Gobert started playing a bigger role). A lineup of Russell-Clarkson-Kobe-Randle-Aldridge would have gotten absolutely torched on defense.

Last edited by nol : 07-01-2015 at 03:47 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #456
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder what changed with Aldridge. A few days ago it seemed he was a lock to go to LA according to the reports.

I'm a bit queasy about SA going all-in on him, though it does seem better than any of the alternatives.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #457
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I wonder what changed with Aldridge. A few days ago it seemed he was a lock to go to LA according to the reports.

I'm a bit queasy about SA going all-in on him, though it does seem better than any of the alternatives.

Last edited by nol : 07-01-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #458
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

*guh*

Thanks Kobe! :P
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #459
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

Celtics signed Amir Johnson 2/$24 and Jonas Jerebko 2/$10... Ummm.... Should've just offered Tobias Harris 5/$90

Sounds like Dallas is trying to do a S&T with Phoenix that sends Chandler (4/52) to Phoenix for Brendan Wright (whatever contract Dallas works out with him). There may also be an aspect that involve Aldridge and Portland if he decides on Phoenix:

Last edited by Arles : 07-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #460
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Bresnahan just tweeted this about LMA and the Lakers. Sounds like he passed on them:

It appears the Suns still have an outside chance after SA/Houston, but I can't think it's very high:

As to the Chandler deal, it's probably a year too many - but I don't mind the money. The Suns badly needed a veteran leader (pref not a guard) as most of the team is under 26.

Last edited by Arles : 07-01-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #461
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, there's an ESPN report the Golden State isn't willing to give Draymond Green the same offer that Middleton and Knight got in FA (5/70) - which is what he's asking for. Given the market, I'd have to think that someone would give him a better deal than those two. Sounds like a dangerous game to play with the Knicks, Mavs and Lakers begging someone to take their cap space.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #462
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Sounds like Dallas is trying to do a S&T with Phoenix that sends Chandler (4/52) to Phoenix for Brendan Wright (whatever contract Dallas works out with him). There may also be an aspect that involve Aldridge and Portland if he decides on Phoenix:

That would help Phoenix make the money work if LMA picks them, but isn't going to help them get LMA. Signing Chandler was big because LMA hated playing center so much, but I can't imagine trading Bledsoe or the Morii would help sell LMA on Phoenix.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #463
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It would be nice if the Cavs could trade Haywood somewhere to someone under the cap so they can score a 10M exception.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #464
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
That would help Phoenix make the money work if LMA picks them, but isn't going to help them get LMA. Signing Chandler was big because LMA hated playing center so much, but I can't imagine trading Bledsoe or the Morii would help sell LMA on Phoenix.
I think that's the point. After signing Chandler, the Suns didn't have any cap space left (they had about $12 mil going in). So, if LMA does pick them, they would need some creativity to make it all work.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #465
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that's the point. After signing Chandler, the Suns didn't have any cap space left (they had about $12 mil going in). So, if LMA does pick them, they would need some creativity to make it all work.

When I see "need some creativity to make it all work", that pretty much reads as "not going to happen."

As for the Lakers with LMA thing, I'm not shocked. That franchise ownership now, in the wake of Buss Sr. departing, has been a mess for years now. I just think Jim Buss is a bad manager of a franchise, but he's too arrogant to see it. And he and his sister are too fractious with each other to form an effective team.

Some examples of odd Laker front office behavior: 1) offering Kobe cap killing money last year; 2) the whole Dwight Howard thing; 3) the four interviews before hiring Byron Scott; 4) the firing of Buss Sr.'s long time scouting staff; 5) the treatment of Phil Jackson when they hired D'Antoni; 6) the terrible coaching decisions (Mike Brown, D'Antoni, Scott).

The Busses are a trainwreck now with Dad gone.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-01-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #466
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'm not positive, but I think the Celtics could still stretch Gerald Wallace's contract to gain enough room to offer sheet Harris, but I'm not sure they're willing to go to 5/$90.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #467
Groundhog
Coordinator

lol @ LMA disliking the 'bball' part of the presentation. I'm guessing it was 30 minutes of Kobe shooting contested long two-point jumpers.

If GSW don't give Green the money he is after, they are nuts. Curry is great, but he is a huge part of the reason behind their success last year.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #468
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
lol @ LMA disliking the 'bball' part of the presentation. I'm guessing it was 30 minutes of Kobe shooting contested long two-point jumpers.

If GSW don't give Green the money he is after, they are nuts. Curry is great, but he is a huge part of the reason behind their success last year.

Golden State is going to match whatever. They're just using the usual RFA technique of having the player find an offer sheet elsewhere at first. This year is definitely rare in terms of how many restricted free agents have re-signed on the very first day.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #469
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

3 years for Paul Pierce? Someone needs to get that wheelchair ready in Staples Center.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #470
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Clippers talking to Wesley Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Willie Green, Corey Brewer and CJ Watson.

Will someone please lock GM Doc Rivers in the utility closet for the next two weeks?

I was gonna say, at least wait until Paul Pierce signs and DeAndre re-signs for GM Doc to take a break.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #471
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I was gonna say, at least wait until Paul Pierce signs and DeAndre re-signs for GM Doc to take a break.

Meh...those offers have been made. Pierce was either coming or not. I always thought DJ would stay for max money and playing with Blake.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #472
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Is ATL really better with Milsap playing the 3, Horford at the 4 and Splitter at the 5?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #473
Groundhog
Coordinator

Millsap can maybeeeeeee pull off the SF conversion, but it's a bit of a plodding frontcourt overall.

Jordan is crazy if he leaves LA (assuming they max him) given 95% of his offense comes from just being on the court with CP3 and Blake.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #474
Izulde
Head Coach

I can't wait for Kobe to retire.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #475
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I can't wait for Kobe to retire.
A big +1 to this.

Last edited by heybrad : 07-01-2015 at 06:59 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #476
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #477
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I'm not positive, but I think the Celtics could still stretch Gerald Wallace's contract to gain enough room to offer sheet Harris, but I'm not sure they're willing to go to 5/$90.
No need to stretch Wallace, plus he makes a really good trade chip when paired with our trade exceptions. Btw, if the reports are true and the 2nd year is non-guaranteed for both Johnson and Jerebko I like it a lot more.

(Also, remember when people were freaking out over Avery Bradley getting $8m/y?)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #478
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Jordan is crazy if he leaves LA (assuming they max him) given 95% of his offense comes from just being on the court with CP3 and Blake.

I dunno on this one. I mean he is from Texas, he went to A&M and a Texas team is offering you. You go from the worst Marginal Income Tax rate situation to the best (13.3% to 0%). Add in that he is only 26 years old so he has a chance at maybe 2 more max deals with Dallas. That's a lot of money to look at turning down.

When Washington free agent Trevor Ariza agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal with Houston — accepting essentially the same salary the Wizards offered him — multiple outlets noted a big difference in Ariza’s take-home pay with the Rockets. The lack of a state tax in Texas vs. the local taxes (and higher cost of living) in and around Washington, D.C., meant the veteran wing player would pocket as much as $3 million more by working and living in Houston.

That's a 4 year 32 million dollar deal. Tristian Thompson just got $80 million for 5 years. Middleton got 5 years and $70m. If he can get close to 90 million over 5 years that still give him his last contract at 31 and probably pockets him an extra 12 million in his pocket going from Cali to Texas.

Banners may hang forever but a bank account for a guy without a ton of endorsements is probably more valuable. The Mavs can go buy him a PG when the cap gets out of control in 2 years.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #479
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Grizz signed Brandan Wirght for the MLE today. Wright and Gasol look a lot different from when they played against each other in HS.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #480
nol
Banned

Quote:
Millsap can maybeeeeeee pull off the SF conversion, but it's a bit of a plodding frontcourt overall.

Splitter does not play enough minutes to have to worry about getting all three on the court at once. He's a good backup big guy and good to have for certain matchups, but Tiago Splitter is not someone who changes a team's overall offensive strategy
Old 07-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #481
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Splitter does not play enough minutes to have to worry about getting all three on the court at once. He's a good backup big guy and good to have for certain matchups, but Tiago Splitter is not someone who changes a team's overall offensive strategy

That's probably going to change in Atlanta though - I'm assuming they expect him to be their starting C. I imagine he'll be seeing more minutes than he did in San Antonio now, given the Hawks aren't nearly as flexible with their lineup... especially with Carroll gone.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #482
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That's probably going to change in Atlanta though - I'm assuming they expect him to be their starting C. I imagine he'll be seeing more minutes than he did in San Antonio now, given the Hawks aren't nearly as flexible with their lineup... especially with Carroll gone.

And Antic aigned overseas before free agency
Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can I just say that I'm like 50% as interested in the playoffs/draft/off-season as normal due to Simmons not being around. I feel like he was great at culling all the appropriate viewpoints and I'm basically lost.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #484
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Can I just say that I'm like 50% as interested in the playoffs/draft/off-season as normal due to Simmons not being around. I feel like he was great at culling all the appropriate viewpoints and I'm basically lost.

Yeah, I don't know the whole story both times he's had an extended absence during NBA pre-season/off-season stuff, but it sucks for fans. I think he was suspended in the middle of the pre-season countdown last year. I listen to most of his podcasts, so it sucks those aren't around right now too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That does not appear to be the plan, what I've read talks about Splitter being able to play alongside both bigs in relief with rare times for all three to be on the floor together (no belief that Millsap can guard the 3). At the moment the team really doesn't have a starting small forward -- Thabo is closest but will be coming back from injury & is preferred off the bench presumably -- so more moves are expected.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #486
nol
Banned

Sixers get Stauskas from the Kings in exchange for taking on some salary. Kings planning on using that salary room on Rondo and Monta Ellis
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #487
Groundhog
Coordinator

That Rondo/Ellis backcourt was really dynamite for Dallas last season...........
Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #488
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Sixers get Stauskas from the Kings in exchange for taking on some salary. Kings planning on using that salary room on Rondo and Monta Ellis

They are also giving up another 1st and the Sixers have the right to swap 1st rounders with them in 2 other seasons. That is a really bad trade for the Kings.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #489
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Draymond gets 5/85
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #490
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Zach Lowe and Woj are the two I make sure to follow. Grantland also still does big roundups after a big day like this, although some of their contributors get a little too cute and their analysis can be hit or miss.

F.e. Lowe had a big podcast with Marc Stein yesterday, although it's probably 50% out of date by now. ‘The Lowe Post’ Podcast: Marc Stein on LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan, and More «
Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #491
nol
Banned

Monta Ellis would probably be the prototypical guy to gamble for a steal a couple times and then go cherrypick in the 4-on-5 system.

This is the craziest thing about the Kings' situation: Best 5-man units, Best 4-man units

They actually played pretty well before people started getting injured and coaches started getting fired; by the time all of that blew over, it was time to go into "keep the protected pick" mode. The bench was so devoid of actual NBA players that I could not rule out a playoff run given the right free agency moves - even amid all the craziness.

The unfortunate reality is that the front office is such a shitshow that they're going to have to pay a premium to sign anyone decent. It would be nice if someone there had the gravitas to be like "Look, Rondo, we know you're not really hearing from anybody right now. You're basically one year from playing in China. We're gonna give you this one year deal and this is going to be the best situation for you to rehab your image just in time to get one last big contract when the cap rises," so the Kings would have the money to get another shooter or two in the mix.

Last edited by nol : 07-06-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 AM   #492
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wesley Matthews is a nice piece, but injury wise I'm not sure what kind of price you'll end up paying. Seems like the type of guy that the Knicks should attempt to lure with a large 1 year deal. I guess you gotta figure his price was going to be approx 17m a year before injury.

Last edited by stevew : 07-02-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #493
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Zach Lowe and Woj are the two I make sure to follow. Grantland also still does big roundups after a big day like this, although some of their contributors get a little too cute and their analysis can be hit or miss.

F.e. Lowe had a big podcast with Marc Stein yesterday, although it's probably 50% out of date by now. ‘The Lowe Post’ Podcast: Marc Stein on LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan, and More «

I'll second the Zach Lowe recommendation. Really enjoyed just about everything I've ever seen/read from him.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 AM   #494
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone ever come back from an achilles tear and been like themselves? Seems a lot of people putting faith in Matthews being healthy.

Also the 4 on 5 plan is one of the dumbest ideas in the history of the NBA and I am happy that the man behind it is nowhere near a franchise I like.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:09 AM   #495
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'll second the Zach Lowe recommendation. Really enjoyed just about everything I've ever seen/read from him.

+1 more. Zach Lowe is just really really knowledgable without being pretentious.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #496
Groundhog
Coordinator

If I'm the Knicks, I give the Rockets a call and see if they want Melo for some parts - Dekker/Motiejunas/T.Jones.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #497
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
If I'm the Knicks, I give the Rockets a call and see if they want Melo for some parts - Dekker/Motiejunas/T.Jones.

Why would we want another ballhog? I don't see Melo and Harden playing well together...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #498
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

And there's no way we give up both Jones and Motiejunas.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #499
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Greg Monroe just chose the Bucks over the Knicks and Lakers.

Things I would have never said 2 years ago. A player thinks the Bucks are the better choice.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #500
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow, there's an ESPN report the Golden State isn't willing to give Draymond Green the same offer that Middleton and Knight got in FA (5/70) - which is what he's asking for.

Quote:
Draymond gets 5/85

Go ESPN!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote